lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Review after finishing

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 09 5:48 AM
This game is surprisingly addicting for anybody who does not require time pressure to enjoy a game. The main gameplay is chain style match-3 on hexagonal tiles, but you need to clear the path right at Cindy's feet for her to make any progress.

No timer. The closest thing to any time pressure at all comes in two of the minigames, and those give you plenty of time
Difficulty levels can be adjusted. I played through on the default, and am in the midst of playing again on the hardest setting.
Not too short. I'm estimating about 6 hours of play, depending on whether you read the storyline, how much you depend on powerups, etc.
Any level can be replayed (although it's not obvious - you have to use the Replay button from the main menu)
Amusing story line
Minigames for variety, including hidden object, slider puzzle, a zuma clone, and some that are harder to describe
Reasonably good replay value due to the ability to change the difficulty setting, and the randomized match-3 boards.

If you leave in the middle of a level, you have to start the entire level over even if you have made it to one of the sub goals.
You can't skip a minigame, so if you don't like that kind you have to do it anyway.
There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the storyline or dialog if you don't like that kind of thing.
I wish they would have allowed us the option to click the start of the chain, mouseover the chain, then click again to collect it. My wrists get tired of the dragging.
When I want to replay a level, I have to guess which of the little dots it is, because none of them are marked.
There's no way to turn off the glowing of the path or Cindy, and the glowing of the filled powerups makes it a bit hard to tell which one is which (but if you mouseover a powerup it tells you)
There's no way to turn off hints on the match-3 boards

Yes that's a lot of up there, but I'd give this 4 out of 5 stars anyway.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Re:Review after finishing

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 17, 09 10:29 AM
Thanks Lord K! I agree on most of your points. On another thread Alex tells how to turn off the flashing path - go to Program Files/Cindys Travels/ content/particle/arrow,col. You can remove or rename arrow.col. Alex suggested a rename to "_arrow.col" which I did and it worked fine. Without the flashing path, I bought the game. I do wish the selection of tiles was smoother. I agree that dragging the curser is tiresome especially when the boards get bigger and you have more to do.

I like Match 3s and this one does have some difference to it. I like the actual action of moving Cyndy around instead of just a plain match 3 where you are told of the action but never actually see it. It also has a nice collection of simple minis.

I just got to the prison and had an "Access Violation". I am hoping I can take up where I left off when I play again. I like these slider challenges even though I usually dislike slider puzzles.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 17, 09 1:25 PM
Well I have bad news and good news. I was moving along well until I got an Access Violation at the Prison slider puzzel. I retried 3 times. The game loaded to that puzzle and then had the Violation and crashed.

I restarted the game with a new name. This went OK until I hit that first slider puzzle, then I got the Violation again.

I found that file and changed the name back to it's original name. Played both games and both work fine but OH, those awful flashes!

Now I am wondering if only that log slider is the problem. If I turn the flashes off now that I am past the slider, will the game play? Stay tuned for more...

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 17, 09 2:27 PM
bribling wrote: If I turn the flashes off now that I am past the slider, will the game play? Stay tuned for more...

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 17, 09 2:39 PM
I agree with all of LK's points except the flashing path did not bother me. Maybe because I have really bad eyesight for up close reading and my glasses have an anti glare coat which is specifically supposed to help with computer screens?? Not sure there but anyway I thouroughly enjoyed the game. It took me just over 8 hours to get through so I am a lot slower than LK

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 17, 09 3:23 PM
Warning: there are THREE slider puzzle levels.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 17, 09 4:11 PM
OK, I got past the slider and turned the flasher off again. Moved through the next level and got to the second HOG. Found all but about two items which I could not find to save me. Reached for the Hint and there wasn't a Hint button/magnifying glass.

I guess that when you turn off the flasher it somehow affects the mini games. It's tiresome to turn it on and off but i just can't stand it when it's on The fun is rapidly diminishing.

Edited on 04/17/2009 at 4:12:50 PM PST

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Apr 18, 09 12:39 PM
i like this...kinda different gameplay with somewhat of a little variety. i really enjoyed all stages i played . about a third of the way thru.. thank you for giving me something new ..love your site

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

[Post New]by jenak3769 on May 10, 09 6:15 PM
To be honestly truthful, the game was at best "cheesy" I found it rather boring and extremely repetitious, the mini games were not only stupid, they were retarded and so absurdly simple, they kind of gave me the impression of Mr Rogers 'can you say stupid" To rant and rave about this total mind waster for the totally mind blank is an understatement,, I bought the game for my granddaughter, she is 11 and I finished it in about 4 hours, she did it in about 4 hours and 1 minute and then said "grandpa that was really dumb".. So I do hope the game designers can come up with something a little better than this... the drag the link was not only retarded it was very tiresome also downright tedious.. Had to retard the mouse sensitivity as it kept overlapping , which is tedious to change settings for such a dumb game.. By the way we started on the default , blasted through half and went back set the difficulty at max and then re did the whole retarded game in 4 hours, bit dumb... So if there is some real simple gamers , who are only operating with a negative thought pattern or , who can only get past 1+1=2 with great difficulty this game is for you.. At least we cannot say BFG does not provide games for all intelligence levels.. Excellent 2 or 3 years before pre kindergarten age game ..

[Post New]by newbird on May 24, 09 12:52 PM
I am stuck on the mini game where there are dots on 6 of the blocks (going from one to six), surrounded by colors and I don't know what to do with this one. I press the hint button and all it keeps doing is showing up the yellow block,any help?

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on May 24, 09 9:04 PM
Newbird: First thing you line up the blocks with dots in the center column from 1 block down to 6. Then you line up the other columns with the colors that the "fixed" tile has so that you have a column of red, a column of green, etc. Finally, within the colored columns you line up the tiles from lightest to darkest or darkest to lightest depending on what the "fixed" tile indicates. Such as, if the top tile of the green column is the "fixed" one and it is dark you make the shades progressively lighter as they go down. Make sense?

Go to: