M1rAk0n
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Gender choices(hmm), but where's my Snark!? *spoiler warning*

[Post New]by M1rAk0n on Dec 4, 14 2:01 PM
I think it's pretty nice to be able to choose genders in the game, though it makes me think....

Throughout the history of MCF games up until the more recent fates carnival plus+ it has always been hinted at/implied and I think even down right said at one point in one the Ravenhurt games that the detective was female!

Just food for thought!, and I was also thinking, though I love the new development of being able to choose your gender, I realllly miss my Diary and my choice of attitude, anyone else miss their snark?

~Erithan

Please ignore bugged user name! XD

Edited on 12/04/2014 at 2:01:45 PM PST

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Gender choices(hmm), but where's my Snark!? *spoiler warning*

[Post New]by Wigi on Dec 4, 14 8:56 PM
I've read this here before, but it has never crossed my mind that the MD was anything other than a bloke.

Just goes to show how everybody interprets things differently.

I'm baffled, how on earth do people think he's not?
He does what men do, carries on regardless, doesn't get bored doing the same things over and over and has a dogged determination to find things out.

He's the archetypal "man who tinkers all day in the garden shed building model train sets or changing the world with their inventions".
That's what he does on his days off, I promise you.

Maybe it's a British thing?
The well known joke here is that all our best inventors were keen amateurs and taking it too seriously is a bit embarrassing.

Edited on 12/04/2014 at 9:01:07 PM PST

[Post New]by kliqzangel on Dec 5, 14 11:32 AM
There is a book series about these and the wife is the detective, but her husband helps her. So, I guess the choice makes sense. I chose the man. I thought it was a nice change. HOG lead characters are almost always women. & while I enjoy it and am one... I enjoyed the change.

MooeyG
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by MooeyG on Dec 6, 14 8:37 AM
Oh my God! I know just what you mean. I had forgotten about the SNARK choice! Ha! Ha! I do miss that, come to think about it. That was a very cool choice to have, although I do appreciate the male/female option.

I have heard other comments about the prevalence of female searchers in these kinds of casual games, but I very much remember all the original adventure games - and there was a preponderance of male characters in those, or at least the ones that were third person. So I guess making lost of girls and women be the ones on the adventure was a reaction to that, perhaps.

Snarky wins for me, though, every time!!!!!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Dec 20, 14 9:08 PM
The snark factor is my favorite part of MCF games and so I'm disappointed that it's not in this game at all.

Please bring back the snarkiness!!

I don't care about the choice of genders. I'm trying to figure out the accents. It seems that there are British and American and they're all mixed up.

Isn't the Master Detective supposed to be British?

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Dec 21, 14 11:03 AM
yes I thought this game takes place in the UK....why do several of the characters NOT have British accents????
Plus it seems odd to assume that the Master Detective could be female; this does not seem the game to suddenly say there is a choice.
I like the detective being male and BRITISH!!!!
I also miss the snarkiness...lol

Edited on 12/21/2014 at 11:04:50 AM PST

[Post New]by EccentricChick on Dec 21, 14 6:47 PM
I'm really late to this but oh well.
I vaguely remember at the end of the first Madame Fate's that there is a cut scene with a FEMALE detective calling the Queen. From that point on I just assumed that the MD was a female.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Dec 31, 14 8:31 AM
The MD is a female Brit (we hear her voice in MF). In this game, you can be male or female, but American.

[Post New]by MayPoleLeave on Jan 28, 15 7:59 AM
Love the snarky personality. As for sex I dunno. I don't think playing Mrs. Fletcher or Nancy Drew makes anyone a pansy and I love those characters. Master Detective is a guy I would think although sometimes you wonder in certain situations like not being able to break some twigs or stick his hand in a dark tree or get into a bag without a zipper ...those things seem female I guess but then other things like don't

Go to: