catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory CE here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 6, 14 1:13 AM
(It's finally here! )

A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 6:25:06 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory here!

[Post New]by blindmonkey on Dec 6, 14 4:51 AM
I've been waiting for this one for quite a while,just like the rest of us !!

I'm hoping it lives up to all the hype about it,unlike "Game Of Gods" !! That one looked soooo great and really was a letdown !! So my fingers are crossed for this one !!!

I've been playing for a little bit and I have to say,it does seem worth the wait...I'll comment on the graphics,I think they're wonderful !! the music,Idk,I turn it down,but the ambient noises are spot on and the voices are ok...

I like the potion mixing,I just wish it was a more in-depth process...I think they could have done more with that aspect of the game...
HOSs are pretty ok so far and the puzzles are ok too...

More after I've finished !!

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 11:29:03 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory here!

[Post New]by shelterhill on Dec 6, 14 5:46 AM
Played the demo and I loved the gameplay, the HOS, they are fun and different, the graphics are oké, but I don't like potions and it looked like there are a lot to make. The story didn't make sense, everything seems to come out of nowhere and with little explanation.
There are tarodcards to collect and they morph, or my eyes were playing tricks on me
I will not buy it, but might go for the SE, but I expect that a lot of people will love it and they are right, but it's just not mind-blowing enough for me .
But I do recommend that you try for yourself

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 7:16:08 AM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Dec 6, 14 5:58 AM

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 2:18:09 PM PST

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Dec 6, 14 6:18 AM
This one's a loser! Didn't mind the story, although I'm aware this was a real person. But the game was slow and sluggish. HO scenes were so-so. No buy for me on this one.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Dec 6, 14 6:24 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory CE h

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 6, 14 7:24 AM
A YOUTHFUL FRESH APPROACH TO VAMPIRE TALES HAS FINALLY ARISEN FROM THE GRAVE

Get ready for a bloodbath as darkness and terror permeate the 17th century Hungarian Empire (including Austria). This game proves that not all "vampires" have fangs. Blood gushing excitement awaits you in this dark game set in Vienna. You play a gypsy, a psychic Finder, who has been contacted by a count to locate his missing daughter, Agnes. She, along with other girls, have disappeared into Countess Bathory's castle. Not the blood gushing excitement as some other vampire games we have had in the past. I just could not sink my teeth into this game.

I was out for blood in this game; however: my thirst for a blood gushing tale was not quite quenched I "like" but do not "love" this game.

LEVELS: 4. Casual (Sparkles) Normal (no sparkles, skips, hints) Expert (skips, hints ) CUSTOMIZATION

GRAPHICS: Very realistic and lifelike. Excellent job, devs!

INVENTORY: The inventory is interactive. You use inventory items in the HOP scenes which is different from most games.

HOP SCENES: interactive as well and varied. A. junk piles, B. silhouette C. locating items in junkpiles and D. searches for a certain number of specific items.

PUZZLES: A. Variation of sliders. B. Storybook sequence in which you must complete activities and puzzles to further the telling of the story. The game is puzzle-lite unless you consider making potions and the storybook sequences as a puzzle activities.

EXTRA GOODIES: Strategy guide. 14 Achievements. Collect tarot cards . Grow herbs for potions. You receive "psychic" impressions through potions to help "see" people and locations. Transportable map which indicates activities

PACE: You will need your running shoes with all the back-and-forth movement from the scenes to the gypsy wagon to create potions.

COMMENTS: All wrapped up in a bloody red bow, this game is reminiscent of eating leftover Halloween candy at Christmas. I felt like a gypsy wandering back-and-forth between the Gypsy wagon and game scenes to grow herbs and make potions and then returning to the last scene.

I RATE THIS GAME 4 BLOODBATHS OUR OF 5 BLOODBATHS. IT IS MISSING A BLOODBATH TO PROVIDE AN ETERNAL APPEAL.

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 8:44:00 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 6, 14 9:21 AM

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 2:22:46 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory CE here!

[Post New]by Howatch on Dec 6, 14 10:00 AM

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 2:43:09 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Vampire Legends: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bathory CE here!

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 6, 14 10:05 AM
Hi all. Well, here is another addition to this series. Didn't really care for the last one, but this one is much better. Graphics are very nice and clear. Colors are true but some areas are a bit too dark. Game play was pretty good, but a little slow in some spots. The opening scene was excellent, but slowed drastically from there, until the end of the demo when the old lady pointed her crooked old finger at me. Hopefully it stays up from then on. Voice overs were far better in this game and actually had a little emotion, fear and urgency. Fathers voice was a little young, but okay. Unfortunately, there are not many VO. Sound FX are good, but a fairly quiet game. Jump map left a lot to be desired...very cartoon like and the clouds made it difficult to see clearly.

HOPs were a little different, some silhouettes, some interactive and some word associations, e.g. winter = gloves, snowflakes. That was different and fun. Again, some areas are a little too dark and hard to see, but items can be found without much eye strain. Puzzles were not difficult at all. Although it is simple, I do like the slider puzzles. Maybe it's because I am a huge jigsaw puzzler. Hint is quite helpful, but does not transport and fills at a nice rate. This is where is it faster to use the map rather than shoe leather.

The only collectibles I found are the tarot cards. Yes, they do morph and they are not as easy to see as you may think, blending well with background and colors. They morph fairly quickly, but so far, there is one in every scene, so watch for them. I see that if you miss the card at first and leave the scene, then return, the card is still there to be found. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think it needed a little more.

I did find one glitch, in that the screwdriver turned into a black box when I used it, but that was about it. All that being said, I did enjoy the game and with the deal this weekend, I believe I will get it to see how it plays out. I think it was the old lady that really grabbed me, so hopefully it continues. There is not a lot of challenge to this game, but I'm in the mood for Vampires today, so yes, this is a buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all, or you may find it is exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by blindmonkey on Dec 6, 14 11:31 AM

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 2:47:59 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 6, 14 12:18 PM
I'm afraid this is going to be a fairly negative review, despite the varied HOP's I saw before I exited after playing 31 minutes. I did not like this game, but if I were new to game play, I might very well have gotten it, because I know something about Elizabeth Bathory, and if I were new I wouldn't have had so many games like this to dampen my enthusiasm. But for me, this was so chock full of anachronisms, that they began to drive me crazy: set in 1610, but had women's clothing that, except for the opening screen, looked nothing like any time in the 17th (or any) century, including the manservant who was dressed like someone from the mid-18th; you collect and use matches in a matchbox, although matches weren't invented until approx. the 1820's and no one used them much until a lot later and matchboxes came later than that; one HOP has both a teddy bear (invented in the early 20th c.) and a doll which looks like somewhere in the mid-late 19th c.; the gypsy woman says she can't put a positive spin on something -- what? There are streetlights (really? in 1610?) which also appear to be gaslights. The finder's accent slips between Eastern European and Spanish. I'm not a big fan of potion making, and I was confused that Bathory, who did live in quite a large castle out in the countryside, is apparently also living in some kind of vaguely Elizabethan house in town. Plus there was some lag time for some of the scenes to come up (and I have a new computer with Windows 8) and a few times the screen goes to black when either leaving a scene or the game itself, very old-fashioned. It's apparent that some people will have a good time with this game, but I didn't. No buy, either as a CE or SE. Sorry.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Dec 6, 14 2:36 PM
In spite of the various anomalies with dress, lighting, accents etc. I enjoyed this game and will replay it later. The developers did a very good job of cleaning up what was an extremely gruesome story. This can be played by both the young and not so young without locking the kids out of the computer.

I found the mini-games not too difficult thus not losing patience with them and the potions were the easiest I've ever encountered. Lots of back and forth but at least the little wagon was right there for access. And, for those of you that care there were no cutesie helpers that I do enjoy in some games.

Keep up the good work O 2D, your graphics are improving with each game. I now have all your games.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 6, 14 2:55 PM

Bathory's: You Can Check Out Any Time You Like...

Setting: you are an early 17th century gypsy woman who has been hired by a man whose daughter has vanished after visiting the noble Bathory estate. Elizabeth Bathory is an actual historical figure so you may find it helpful to investigate her on your own if you are unfamiliar with her name. This is a mature themed story which touches on unpleasant things like torture and murder.

As you are a gypsy, prepare to do gypsy things like concoct potions in your wagon and conduct readings based psychic impressions from physical items. Normally I dislike these sort of actions, but the wagon link permits you to transport back and forth easily and quickly enough so as not to interrupt play excessively.

The drawing style was pleasingly realistic if not historically accurate. The voice acting is good, but unfortunately the voices are very American sounding which is quite out of place in the setting (Hungary) and therefore prevent the player from becoming more fully immersed in the story. The character's lip synching is good, however.

Aside from the potions (made with herbs that you've grown) most of the play is standard. Hidden objects are varying types, well drawn, clear, and won't cause anyone eyestrain. Puzzles are easy and fairly standard as well.

This collector's edition has collectible tarot cards which are also morphing objects, as well as the standard array of pseudo-extras, bonus level and strategy guide.

I enjoyed playing this trial and will probably purchase one of the versions because I like the story and game play enough to overlook some of the less-than-fine points.

Four deadly for the other Lizzy B.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Dec 6, 14 7:51 PM

I tried the demo.

While the graphics are almost realistic, the story itself isn't that big of a reveal. What exactly was the so-called "untold story of Elizabeth Bathory"? All of what was shown in the demo was pretty much what was known about the Countess, with a possible exaggeration towards the dark arts. So there wasn't exactly that much "untold" whether it was historical or local folklore. The game seems lenghty, but it would have been better if they had done an actual twist on the legend of Countess Bathory, because as it is, it's not that different from any variation of the legends about her. Didn't hold my interest past the trial, so unless you know nothing about her, I would say don't buy the game.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 6, 14 8:33 PM
Since this game was delayed for so many weeks, I was really hoping that this game would be memorable. Unfortunately, I was rather bored with the demo. During the demo, there are only vague references to the gruesome acts that the Countess may or may not have committed (the reference to Anna in a letter casts suspicion in another direction), and you don't even come across one victim to lend any truth to the rumors. Now, I am not expecting graphic depictions of torture or deceased victims, but other games have had more images of deceased bodies during the demo than this game. We also don't really come across any other evidence of these acts during the demo except for a couple of items. These items include a bloody hammer that becomes an inventory item, and we actually use this piece of potential evidence to hammer a nail. Sorry, but I think that a gypsy who can get psychic impressions would have recognized evidence and wouldn't use it. Having to find seed bags, go to the gypsy wagon to grow those herbs, then make a potion was tedious.
On the positive side, the graphics were good. I also liked that you had the ability to jump to the gypsy wagon when you needed to make a potion, then jump back to your previous location.
This won't be a buy for me in the CE version. I might play the SE when it comes out and reassess then.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 7, 14 6:18 PM
Enjoyed the graphics and the game flowed along nicely.... the music, thankfully, wasn't as overwhelming nor overly dramatic as many are of late. The voice acting was credible* [relatively speaking and, again, in comparison to many] I particularly enjoyed the 'feel' of the game... it was immersive and 'believable' [ie. as a game story] enough it held my interest during the demo, so overall it will be a buy during a sale or s/e.

*eta: the 'potions' were mixtures of herbs and water; also leaning toward the more 'believable' scope of things historically speaking and, therefore, helping to hold my interest.... otherwise a few embellishment's were added {glowing mist, etc}.. and cut scenes were a bit overdone, leaning to the fantastical... again, overall I did enjoy the demo, encourage others to give it a go and I plan to purchase at some point or another.

Enjoy... happy gaming

Edited on 12/07/2014 at 6:25:54 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I truly enjoyed this game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Dec 8, 14 12:35 AM
I'm thinking that we will see a sequel soon.

I'm a 'sucker' for vampire themes.

The game takes awhile to load and when reaching new areas and as well saving game data. This I attribute to programming and I am sure by the time a sequel is introduced the developers will figure it all out.

To game players just nab some patients and stick with the tasks at hand I honestly think its worth it.

rogert87
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by rogert87 on Dec 20, 14 1:03 PM
I have been a BF customer for many years and I can honestly say this is the worst game I have tried to play. I say tried because I have had two attempts to play both to no avail.

[Post New]by Happy_Hamer on Mar 11, 15 8:24 PM
Whilst there are many original aspects to this game, many of which have been mentioned in prior reviews, the one thing I want above all else when I purchase a game is to be able to actually play it fully. I have been through the game 4 times now, and have had to delete and restart each time, for a different reason. For me, I would rather have a game with the worst of everything, (graphics, sound, story etc), and be able to complete it than a game that looks and sounds good, but continually glitches and forces a player to delete a profile and start again.

Go to: