DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

SPAM IN THESE FORUMS .....

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 6, 14 1:45 AM
Well, it took a while, but the Indian sub-continent spammers have finally cottoned on to invading the most recent game's forums.
Last night all 10 pages in Game Forums Home was full of their junk - same tonight.
I will possibly be <moderated> as this has nothing to do with tonight's game. But getting rid of the $%^& stuff is more important IMHO.
And you have to actually open their posts to hit the ! to report it as offensive.
Anyone else sick of their junk?

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 1:52:12 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:SPAM IN THESE FORUMS .....

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 6, 14 1:54 AM
I'm over it.
One night I was a little late getting to the forums and went to post my usual "review/tech issue" threads and found 5 pages of spam! It turned me off posting.

I refuse to open the posts in case of a virus or something.
I thought BFG had dealt with the spammers for a while there.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Spam in these forums .....

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Dec 6, 14 1:55 AM
Agreed. Spammers are everywhere and it is highly unadvisable to open one of their posts. Unfortunately, they are difficult to trace and eliminate once they zero in on a site.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 6, 14 1:57 AM
I searched +91 and found those phone numbers are from India. Scammers are so annoying, *sigh*

ETA: Googled the number. Posts like these came up everywhere. DEFINITELY a scam,

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 1:58:33 AM PST

0Jade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by 0Jade on Dec 6, 14 2:07 AM
I'm with you guys... tread softly through these spammy waters. Definitely don't open any message that has a +91 in the subject line. This particular thread is safe for now. My biggest concern is, if they can spam, can they cause what has always been a game site free of viruses to become treacherous. I don't think so, but you never know. If anything seems out of the ordinary - bail!

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 2:09:56 AM PST

[Post New]by shelterhill on Dec 6, 14 2:16 AM
Oe, I opened the posts to report them...

well, everything still works.. so far so good.

But having them here also now...what a world we live in..

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 6, 14 2:20 AM
shelterhill wrote:Oe, I opened the posts to report them...

Me too. I am now scanning my PC.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Dec 6, 14 2:39 AM
I am immediately transferred in my mind back to 1970 and the spam song by Monty Python! I only recently discovered that this song is where the internet term spam comes from!

Altogether now 'Spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs and spam'

My earworm for today!

[Post New]by shelterhill on Dec 6, 14 3:07 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
shelterhill wrote:Oe, I opened the posts to report them...

Me too. I am now scanning my PC.

I'm scanning my PC now also.. this really s*cks..

poppy85
Guppy
Guppy
182 Posts

[Post New]by poppy85 on Dec 6, 14 3:20 AM
This is the first time I've come across spam on this site. I didn't open any of it, pity you can't delete it though. Hope the MODS get onto it soon.

Vampires have taken over the BFG offices and sucked everyone dry

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Dec 6, 14 3:22 AM
Opening a post will have no effect. If there is a link within a post, don't click on it. If you have a decent antivirus it would have picked up on anything harmful so why the panic to scan your pc?

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 6, 14 3:34 AM
Agreed, opening a post does nothing. BF does not allow the option to embed code into a message so unless you click on one of the spammer's links, your computer isn't at risk.

That said, BF *does* have the option to IP ban these spammers at the root level. Of course, doing this might also make the forums unavailable to innocent people who happen to share the same IP range, but I feel the risk justifies the reward in keeping spam out of the forums. Since mods aren't here on the weekends to clean it up, it will come down to whether they want to pay someone overtime or take up their time usually devoted to other projects during the week to police/scrub the forums or just blacklist the offending IPs at the get go is up to them.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Dec 6, 14 3:54 AM
Panic is a big word, but better safe than sorry, right? , but my antivirusscanner says everything is alright.
So, maybe I can finally try this game out!!

lizdanny
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,252 Posts

[Post New]by lizdanny on Dec 6, 14 3:58 AM
Hi

I have reported SPAM twice in the last week to Customer Support

The recent reply a few days ago was;-

As far as the spam that you are encountering in the Forums is concerned, I did pass along your feedback and I hope that you will see an improvement at some point.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Dec 6, 14 4:03 AM
No kidding!! Seeing a full page of spam was quite a chocker! Thought at first something was wrong with my browser, didn't count on a full blown alien invasion.

Mods will be busy once they get here.

Goodnight all.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Dec 6, 14 5:26 AM
I had not seen this until now. I hope that the SPAM can be removed and the people who post them booted. It's ridiculous.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Dec 6, 14 5:49 AM
This has been happening every night for a few weeks now. One of the mods that I sent a PM to said anyone who sees one of these messages should use the red "!" in the upper right corner of the post to report it as "Offensive". That flags it for the mods to review and remove it and hides the text from anyone else's view.

I have had no problems with viewing the posts and using the "!" to report them. I have probably flagged 200 or more since this began.

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 5:54:15 AM PST

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Dec 6, 14 5:52 AM
I just opened the game forum to see what people were saying and thought "Whoaaaaa!" when I saw all the posts already. Then I realised they were about 90% spam! Not sure what's happening - there's always been the occasional spam message in the forums, but this is like an oceanic deluge .

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Dec 6, 14 6:29 AM
I had reported these jack holes a few weeks back when I was doing a search for some new MCF info. They had pages upon pages of hits on the forums. I had gone into as many as I could to report and actually fell asleep doing so....lol. Obviously, the forums aren't being watched as carefully as they used to be. I would have thought that they would have used their flagging system to help keep these guys out of here by possibly flagging similar names or words used. Surprisingly, the name seems to be the same that I had reported earlier but who knows, he may have added an extra letter or something.
Also, for those worried about getting a virus by opening to report, as others have stated you are okay. Now, if you had gone to one of the links posted then I would be worried and do a virus scan but even that should have been picked up by any of the top virus scanning programs that we have.
Have a great gaming day everyone and a spectacular weekend!

ETA: I had just gone to the main forums page and there is a post from earlier that there were over 25 pages of this spam. I have reported a few pages but for some reason, it keeps sending me back to page one each time I do so. Anyhow, I was checking the names and Rivjay or whatever his name is has already posted 164 of these today and his cohorts are just beginning. Maybe BFG should have a option when you select a persons name that you can report them as offensive (weren't we able to do that back in the day?) instead of having to report each and every single post. That way the spammers posts are put on hold/blocked until BFG looks into it.

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 6:49:24 AM PST

Wolfpupscvc
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Wolfpupscvc on Dec 6, 14 6:30 AM
Watch out for these Scammers please. They might be trying to get to your bank Accounts or Credit Cards in here also. Do Not Open any of these from them at all. There are 12 Scammers in here. So please watch out and be careful of what you are doing. I have been Hacked before on my computer and I even have a Anti Virus on it. They can get threw your computer as they are very smart people. They are trained to do this so they can get your money. So I am just say Please watch out.

Go to: