bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 9, 14 12:29 AM
An invitation to research ancient menhirs sends you to Brittany to find these magnificent standing stones. But you quickly discover there is far more at stake than groundbreaking research. There is a prophecy, one that foretells chaos and evil being unleashed upon the world on the night when a comet hides behind the moon and turns the sky purple. Tonight is that night. Can you race against the clock to save not only yourself, but the fate of two worlds?

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 9, 14 1:45 AM
Finally.... after playing these games for years with impunity .... I am chastised by a character in this game for entering and searching their establishment without permission. I hope this attitude continues throughout the rest of the game .... will be fun.

ETA: that isn't the only "different" thing about the game, somehow it seems "fresh" and not just a rehash of other games and ideas. The puzzles I have encountered so far, haven't required a Membership of Mensa to be completed, and have been quite fun to do (as opposed to long and tedious), the HOS was a puzzle in itself to find and use the shapes shown.
I recommend that you at least give this game a trial. Must get back before my time runs out.

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 2:02:05 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 9, 14 1:52 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Finally.... after playing these games for years with impunity .... I am chastised by a character in this game for entering and searching their establishment without permission. I hope this attitude continues throughout the rest of the game .... will be fun.

I know, right? How frustrating is it, just wandering in to a stranger's home, and they come in and don't care at all?

[Post New]by Darek_Rusin on Dec 9, 14 2:14 AM
Hey DragonLadyOz, this is Darek from Orchid Games, developers of this game. Thanks a lot for your comments! I'm really happy that you've found the game "fresh". That's exactly what we were aiming for -- stay true to the HOPA genre, but put our own spin on it.

Have fun everyone and let us know you think -- we're listening!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 9, 14 2:22 AM
Well, not everything is new - I am still a "one throw wonder" with a grappling hook
And its not nice to snoop through someone else's bag - so I'll just cut it open.
And everything is LOCKED of course.

And I have found heaps of mistletoe and no-one to kiss - the bartender still wants me to leave

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 2:38:19 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 9, 14 2:38 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Well, not everything is new - I am still a "one throw wonder" with a grappling hook

And I have found heaps of mistletoe and no-one to kiss - the bartender still wants me to leave
Poor DOL, you want to kiss the bartender than?

I like the game. Very well done!

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Dec 9, 14 2:39 AM
Hi Darek! Wow! I must say this game is so refreshing! It's rare nowadays that I go....awwwwwww! when the demo ends! I love the graphics, so realistic..the voiceovers are great! A good variety of HOPs, I skip most of the puzzles, not a fan but that is just me ....the only thing I am confused about is the map..not sure how it works...doesn't seem to show where there are objectives? hmmmmm....but, other than that very small question, I love it! Stupendous job! Have already bought...now back to this wonderful game! I feel like I am in a movie ....Keep up the great work and more this game please!!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 9, 14 2:40 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:Well, not everything is new - I am still a "one throw wonder" with a grappling hook

Poor DOL, you want to kiss the bartender than?
Not really, but there was something fishy about the other person I met.

I like the game. Very well done!

[Post New]by Darek_Rusin on Dec 9, 14 3:31 AM
Pickles77, yes, the map is there primarily for "fast travel", just so you can click on an area and move there directly, without walking through every single location along the way. We don't show tasks on the map.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 9, 14 4:09 AM
Original SE games are a guaranteed buy for me, glad to hear this one is good.

We've been getting some really excellent SE hidden object games this past year though, I feel pretty confident buying without a test drive first.

I'll have to wait till after work to play this, darn it.

Nice to see the dev involved in the forums too. Hi Darek_Rusin!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Dec 9, 14 4:10 AM
I bought this game from the devs a week or so ago.
It's terrific with a strong storyline & stays interesting right to the end.
Besides lovely graphics, the tasks we do & puzzles & hos (which there are not too many of, yay!) are all interesting & make sense to help along the story. I could feel throughout my playing how much the devs themselves must love adventure games! In fact, I'll even replay it.

*Very satisfied & easily I recommend this game!*

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Dec 9, 14 5:31 AM
It might be a good game, but i just can't get past the ginormous cursor. Why no option for a standard system cursor? That honking big arrow is all I can focus on when I look at the screen.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Dec 9, 14 5:44 AM
It's a pretty slow going game. I like that it has a map but I'd rather have it showing the tasks so I don't have to guess where I need to go.

Sforet71
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Sforet71 on Dec 9, 14 5:52 AM
absolutely loving this game. The puzzles are great, the hidden object play is different types, find by word, silhouette, interactive etc. Inventory locks into place, hint and skip buttons recharges fast and hint button will show you where to go. There is a map that you can transport with but it doesn't show you if there is something to do in that area. There is also things to collect as well, some you will find in and out of the HO scenes. I had no technical issues what so ever with this game. Honestly, this felt more like I was playing a collection edition game than a regular SE one. Thanks BF for giving us a great game today and to the makers, thanks for a really good game.

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 5:53:44 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 9, 14 6:22 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:It might be a good game, but i just can't get past the ginormous cursor. Why no option for a standard system cursor? That honking big arrow is all I can focus on when I look at the screen.

I agree about the cursor. It's far too large. The least the devs could have done is give us a choice of a small custom cursor as well, if not the system cursor. I too find it too much in my face.

The game has the look and feel of an adventure-lite game. Am not keen on 3-D images, and the graphics are quite often a little rough as well.

However, I do like the gameplay (even though I am getting tired of prophecies and hooded figures standing around in circles), and will probably purchase the game at some point.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Dec 9, 14 7:01 AM
The storyline is pretty good, although it's telling could have been shortened. Basically, there is an ancient prophecy that once the comet has barred certain things from visibility (I think), and the moon turns purple, an ancient evil will be unleashed!

The graphics are not detailed very well. I'd almost say this was an older game. The music is creepy. The characters are ... creepy. The locations are .... creepy. This is a VERY dark and creepy game.

There are 3 modes of difficulty - casual to hard. If you can, I would adjust the brightness of your computer. It's not an option in "options" or "settings" but I would definitely recommend it. This is truly a DARK game.. For instance, I spent a LOT of time in the dark .... and in dark caves .... in the dark.

There is a map, transportable, but with no legends and no indications of what the areas are ... nothing is marked. There is a journal that holds clues and notes. There are HOGs (I think) and they are varied. There are mini games. None were difficult but the instructions were .... limited.

There are Achievements and Collectibles. The Collectibles are not always easy to locate. 40 mosaic pieces and 70 pieces of mistletoe (which recharges your "hint" button).

This game has TONS of mystery. I had SCORES of questions by the end of the demo. Why is everything so "dark"? I don't think the story required it. It's definitely not "mood" lighting. That the prophecy will begin in 7 hours is mentioned at the beginning of the game ..... then 6 hours (near the end of the demo hour). Does this allude to the possible length of the game? And what happens if you DON'T finish the game in the alluded 7 hours???? Do we have to start over? How is your character intertwined in this prophecy? Why are we collecting mistletoe? This CERTAINLY has no air of holly, jolly Christmas and old St. Nick about it. Do these things make it more .... appealing? Don't know. There is ABSOLUTELY NO HAND HOLDING in this game and the hint button was used often.

Dark, creepy, no real instructions, no sense of direction Yet, when the demo ended (and it ended because the time was up and NOT because it was the end of the demo - YAY) I wanted .... MORE.

My hesitation???? I am sooo used to handholding .... have become probably as complacent with today's method of gaming as others. Going back to "old school" gaming will take some adjustment - lol. Still....mistletoe??? I don't get it.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 9, 14 7:03 AM
I have to agree with cottoncandy2 and Valdy; that cursor is ridiculously huge.

Puts me off any game when there's no option to use the system cursor but if you could at least make it smaller, that would help. It's bigger than some of the items you have to pick up

Make the cursor smaller and I'll buy the game; otherwise I'll have to pass.

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 7:06:06 AM PST

[Post New]by Darek_Rusin on Dec 9, 14 7:21 AM
Guys, we never thought that the cursor will be such an issue! Ooops We must have gotten used to it and we haven't had any complaints about it during playtesting so, well, it stayed that way What can I say but... sorry! Unfortunately, right now there's no way to change the cursor in the game. However, if we ever produce an update, we'll definitely consider this! Thanks for letting us know about this.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Dec 9, 14 7:45 AM
I didn't even realize that the cursor was big while I was playing the demo. I find the system cursor too dinky so I hope next time it doesn't go that small.

I like the game and will be picking it up.

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Dec 9, 14 8:19 AM
Finally a fresh twist on a game. B&E with the homeowners not caring is a bit risky
but thoroughly enjoyed this game. Keep it up , most of the games are mundane
this is so much better.

Go to: