bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Dec 9, 14 6:05 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 6:05:38 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy here!

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 9, 14 7:00 AM
Nice game; graphics are a touch grainy but acceptable, voices are well done, really good variety of HOS, some nice puzzles that take some thought rather than being completed in 3 or 4 moves, collectibles in the form of geometric shapes and mistletoe, a map that transports (but doesn't show tasks unfortunately) and a good story. Widescreen as well; all that's missing is a strategy guide (and a customisable playing mode) and this would be a CE. Ok, there are the seemingly obligatory sinister hooded characters hanging about but otherwise it's an enjoyable game. And it played smoothly with no technical issues at all.

Unfortunately there had to be a downside.....what were the developers thinking with that giant cursor?? It's bigger than some of the items you have to pick up and no option to make it smaller. It really does put me off; my pet hate in any game is not being given the choice to use the system cursor. And it may just be that it's a deal breaker with this game; I just can't get past that ridiculously huge cursor.

ETA: Being desperate for something new to play, I went ahead and bought this game (in spite of that huge cursor). But the game is just way too long and the HOS deteriorate into mostly junkpiles. I got so bored with it I stopped playing when the chapter said '30 minutes to whatever it is that's supposed to happen'. And I've never gone back to it.

Edited on 12/16/2014 at 11:03:49 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 9, 14 12:39 PM
Hi all. Wow, a not too bad SE today, what a shock! The graphics in this game weren't too bad. Sometimes a but fuzzy but otherwise good. Didn't care for the fact that every time someone spoke to you, the background went blurry. Colors were good and true. Game play was good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen very well. There is a jump map, but areas are not identified by name, only by picture, so be sure you remember what is what. Also does not show where there is an objective, so no help there either. Did not care for the cursor at all. The fact that you cannot change to the system cursor makes me wonder how old this game really is. It is very distracting.

HOPs are nice and clear. Items are not difficult to find. You have a combination of interactive silhouettes (put this together to make that) and just silhouettes, and straight HOPs. Nothing difficult. Puzzles were very simple and nothing new. Some took a little time, but no real thought or skill to complete. Hint system was helpful and took a little while to recharge. Scenes opened and did not close after you find your items, which makes you wonder if you found everything or not. You don't collect a lot of items to have on hand before you use them, which is good. You use them fairly quickly.

There are collectibles in this SE, which is a nice change. You need to find 40 mosaic pieces, which are different shapes and colors and are very small. They blend very well with background colors, so watch for them. I would have missed a few, had it not been for the sparkles. Yes, I demo in easy mode to get the feel of a game. You also collect 70 mistletoe sprigs. Not sure what that has to do with the story or what you do when you get them all, but okay. These are hidden in fairly dark places and are not that easy to spot. I also found them in the HOPS (quite by accident).

This game is not challenging, except to try to find the collectibles. Story is nothing new and the game doesn't seem to flow well, a little choppy in story line. This is a simple "nothing better to do" game. That being said. Even though the story lost me about half way through, I find the need to use a credit and keep playing, just to see if I can find all the collectibles. Yes, I am going to get this game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Dec 9, 14 1:30 PM
For a non CE this was a nice, well designed, well scripted/plotted game. Graphics are nice. Music's not too annoying. There are two types of collectibles - mozaic pieces and mistletoe. Lots of decent puzzles and HOS. Hint worked well throughout for me. Map is a bit of a dud. But the gameplay is rather long (took me most of the day). Far more like playing a CE. Well worth the money, or in my case the coupon code. Loved the game and the ending subtly hints at another.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 9, 14 2:05 PM
FOLLOWING ON THE TAIL OF A COMET IS A GREAT GAME AWAKENING THE AGE OF CHAOS

An ancient prophecy is being fulfilled, awakening a demon cast down long ago into a prison by an Archdruid. Paraphrasing the song "Aquarius," "When the moon is hiding a comet, And the sky arraigns in purple, War will guide the planet, and Chaos will steer the stars." Yes, it is the dawning of the Age of Chaos in Brittany, France. Death and destruction await the planet unless a fearless leader con contain this demon. You play an archaeologist who has traveled to Brittany, France the birth of the Druids, to study the Druidic stones. Do you have what it takes to save the world from an ancient demon?

LEVELS: 3 Casual (Sparkles) Advanced (No sparkles) Expert (Still has hints and skips)

GRAPHICS: Excellent and realistic. However, the characters do not demonstrate any mouth movements. However, this is an SE and not necessarily expected.

HOP SCENES: Puzzle-like and very well done. The one I played in the demo had a puzzle -like silhouette HOP scene in which once you located the item, you used the item within the scene to further the game.

INVENTORY: Interactive and can be locked

PUZZLES: During the demo I encountered only two games - a color swap puzzle to open a door and a swap puzzle placing similar items together. Both were well-done and fairly easy.

EXTRA GOODIES: A. 19 Achievements B. Collect mosaic pieces for a mosaic puzzle C. Map indicates active areas.

COMMENTS: WHAT A GREAT SE . And guess what? This game so much better than one of the CE games by a "famous" or should I say "infamous" dev (who has rested on their laurels for way too long and whose star has fallen) awaiting us this week. Good job, dev. With a little work this could have been a CE. Hopefully we will see more games from you in the future. BTW - this week, our tree hugging dev is having his nickname changed. This dev does not deserve the best nickname I can bestow upon a dev.

PERSONALLY I WANT TO SEE MORE FROM THIS DEV. DON'T FADE AWAY INTO A SHRINKING VIOLET.

NOW TO RATE THIS GAME: I RATE THIS GAME 7 COMETS OUT OF 5 COMETS FOR AN SE. THE OTHER TWO STARS ARE THOSE IN MY EYES FORETELLING A PROPHECY OF ANOTHER GREAT DEV FOR BF

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 2:14:09 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 9, 14 6:22 PM
This is a truly excellent game. Graphics are very good with realistic colors, the music is soothing and pretty if a mite repetitive in parts, the voice acting is terrific, good and involving plot, clever puzzles, good hints... lots going on here, there are even collectables.

There have been a few games, very few, that I've wished I could step into and this is one of them. Avalon was enchanting.

ETA: I forgot to mention that the "giant" cursor didn't bother me at all. I looked at it when the game first started, remembered some of the comments here and promptly forgot about it. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Edited on 12/09/2014 at 6:24:27 PM PST

ethan1404
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ethan1404 on Dec 10, 14 7:25 AM
I don't often post a review even though I own every CE game offered, and have been buying BFG for over 7 years now however, did for this game as I found Graven to be a great offering for once inbetween waiting for my CE "fixes". Usually silly little games, like time management and solitaire's are offered, maybe good for some but not for me.

I found this game to be as good, equal to and perhaps even better than some of the CE offerings of late, particularly in length of game-play. Bit confusing at first given I couldn't do anything or find anything for quite a while but gradually it all started to make sense. Whilst a bit of "tooing and froing" not a hardship given not too many scenes involved and also glad as the map unfortunately, was quite useless.

I played in HARD mode and it was still "doable", puzzles were not too hard and with some patience, all can be solved without SKIPPING. What I truly despise are games, particularly CE games that rely too much on HOP's to find the needed item, to me an easy outlet rather than create a game that actually makes sense where and how to find that needed object. Whilst HOP's are now a little more challenging and interesting, all too often we are still inundated with them, good for those who enjoy finding little objects not even related to the game but for me, no, I want to play a game with a story line and everything I need to find should be in context with the storyline! Why try and find and object that has nothing to do with the game we are playing?

As an SE game this was exceptional, interesting, story was different, challenging and one had to think. Given the CE games of late, and cost, this was value for money as I was finally able to use one of my many accumulated coupons before it expired.

Well done BFG and we need more offerings like this in between our CE games, at least one a week! I saw reviews on Orchid Games, some good some not so good and I found those who berated Orchid to be wrong and certainly not conducive to encouraging DEVS like them to improve and eventually give us what we want. I personally feel they are on the right track, and with this game would be close to offering a CE game with some more experience, time and encouragement. Well done to them for a great game, one I enjoyed, was challenging but not somuchso to be frustrating!

I hope we shall see more from them and I for one, will be eagerly looking forward to their next offering.

I definitely recommend this game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 10, 14 12:53 PM

"Same Old Story" Is Saved By Nice Package

Setting: I won't go into great detail here because there is not much original about the story - an evil demon (but I repeat myself) who has been imprisoned for years will be unleashed at the purple moon unless you stop it. *yawn*

Fortunately, the rest of the game is good, on par with anything else you'll find on this site. The drawing is top notch, very heavy on the deep, dark blues and greens - and of course, purple - which projects a deep, dark mood.

The use of perspective deserves mention. The developers have made a point of drawing many of the scenes from an unusual or disjointed perspective (example: the opening scene is viewed from ground level). This helps project to the viewer a sense of unease as if something is terribly out of whack. The background music adds to this sense as well, which creates an excellent environment for the somewhat ordinary story.

The collectible mistletoe (these are small and dark) adds a nice amount of complexity. Be prepared to use objects you collect - and there are many - in non-standard ways. You may have to think out-of-the-box a little bit here. This game does not seem to be too HOS heavy so be prepared for that as well.

A nice surprise SE worthy of 3 and 1/2 moons - even if they are purple.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 10, 14 4:24 PM
A few cons: our heroine is wearing very cute booties (ankle boots) with somewhat high heels and a skirt, but boy does she climb, throw things and do other interesting physical tasks. As virtually everyone else has said, the map isn't much use, well, no use, and I have no idea when this story is set, given the presence of pretty ancient cars, yet there is a laptop in one scene. Again, we have utterly run-down locales, even though they weren't uninteresting. Pros: I love collecting things, so I liked the mistletoe (some of which was hidden in this game's version of HOP's) and the mosaic pieces were good too, although I'm pretty sure I may have missed some during the demo. I had no problem with the size of the cursor, and I liked the music. The story, although a little camouflaged by all the activities, looks interesting, although, yup, definitely been there and seen it before (demons will take us over and we're goners if it happens). I have a coupon, but I'm a bit on the fence about buying this game only because I have so many unplayed ones, but it's obvious a lot of people have really enjoyed playing it. I think it's better than the 3 1/2 stars, maybe closer to a 4, but that map really needs some help. As it is, there's no reason for it to be there.

[Post New]by abbotsford on Dec 10, 14 7:44 PM
This is a fantastic game for the price. It took me three days to get to the end,
The length is great for a s e. You also have to find mistletoe and mosaic pieces.
I recommend this game.

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Dec 10, 14 8:21 PM
Hey I have to give it to developers....great game !! Loved all of it.. was very enjoyable!!!

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Dec 13, 14 11:53 AM
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I've read some reviews from people who played the demo saying they've played this game before in some form or another. I beg to differ! They certainly haven't played THIS game! What a breath of fresh air!

The story drew me in from moment one! Love the mystery and art of the Druids. Beautiful graphics! Avalon was eye candy! I felt like I was part of a movie story board. Loved the ANGLES of view! Such imagination!

HOS that break the old molds! Such a variety, not just the overused list type. So pleased to be able to pick up an object and move it WITHIN THE SCENE, like I held it in my hand. I have been LONGING to see this happen. Never understood having to click on an item, have it go to inventory, then click on it again to use it. It may not seem like a big deal, but after you've played a certain number of these games, you'll find that detail to be downright innovative!

Puzzles are my favorite and I wasn't disappointed. Everything from pairs matching (tiered levels of difficulty) to "thinkers". All workable with time, lovely to look at, and FUN!

Lovely music. There were a couple of areas I hated to leave because the music was so enchanting. Wish I had it to play in my home!

This SE has achievements and collectibles! Mosaic parts that will be useful later in the game and MISTLETOE. Mistletoe, not because its holiday time, but because of its sacredness to the Druids. Loved that connection.

This game does come with a jumpable map but I found that I really didn't use it until close to the end of the game. It doesn't show active areas and I saw that as a good thing. Made me think! The story was linear enough with what was, to me, a logical progression. I wasn't collecting items, wondering what possible use something would be further on. That alone was refreshing!

Loved, loved, LOVED this game! I was totally absorbed the entire time and hated to see it end. These devs are right on the money and I will be happy to spend mine on future offerings. Worth every penny. Thank you Orchid Games and BFG!

IMO in every category!

ethan1404
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ethan1404 on Dec 14, 14 11:21 AM

Edited on 12/29/2014 at 10:22:04 AM PST

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Dec 14, 14 12:22 PM

What an enjoyable game! Very good graphics, a - even not very original - good storyline, even collectibles in a SE.
Great work, well done, I wish some of the latest CE's were done as well as this one.
Give it a try and watch yourself. It's worth it.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Dec 14, 14 4:58 PM

Edited on 12/29/2014 at 10:22:47 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Dec 15, 14 1:28 PM

Edited on 12/29/2014 at 10:23:26 AM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 18, 14 5:47 PM
excellent game. didn't get all the mistletoe. some of the puzzles I found a bit hard. the map was pretty useless.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 18, 14 5:49 PM
found the game to be pretty good except for going back and forth a lot.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 18, 14 8:13 PM
This is a truly outstanding game! Graphics, videos, puzzles, h.o.'s - loved everything about it! It's been a long time since I skipped tv night and played past my bedtime to finish a game. Will go back and play again as I did not find all 70 items. BFG, please continue to support this developer - they really made a superb game and like others have said, gave us a refreshing new game. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another game from this developer, sight unseen! Thank you for a very entertaining game.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Graven: The Purple Moon Prophecy here!

[Post New]by roaming on Dec 27, 14 2:07 AM
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME:

steve_san wrote:"Same Old Story" Is Saved By Nice Package

Setting: I won't go into great detail here because there is not much original about the story - an evil demon (but I repeat myself) who has been imprisoned for years will be unleashed at the purple moon unless you stop it. *yawn*

Fortunately, the rest of the game is good, on par with anything else you'll find on this site. The drawing is top notch, very heavy on the deep, dark blues and greens - and of course, purple - which projects a deep, dark mood.

The use of perspective deserves mention. The developers have made a point of drawing many of the scenes from an unusual or disjointed perspective (example: the opening scene is viewed from ground level).
I agree with the above from steve_san, plus....

Positives:
1. The Druid/Avalon theme, bent out of recognition though it was. I chalked it up to creative license.
2. Collecting the pieces of mistletoe was kind of fun.
3. Picking up mosaic pieces to be used later. They are hard to see, but if you don't find them all, an ally will give you a handful which completes the set and allows you to do what you need to with them.
4. The inventory locks open.
5. Transporting map.
6. Tolerable music and voiceovers. No lip synch.

Negatives:
1. Only three levels of difficulty and no custom option.
2. The map only indicates where you are, not where you need to be. If you know where you want to go, it's fine.
3. The puzzle skip button takes entirely too long to fill.
4. Lots of trekking back and forth as well as up and down which added greatly to my Negative No. 5.
5. Tedium started to set in during the fourth and fifth chapters what with all the "lather, rinse, repeat" tasks.
6. An abrupt, no-surprise ending with flames.

Deducting credit for the lack of a custom option and a helpful map, but adding for artwork and creativity in HOS... and a half.

Go to: