catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

DirectX

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 10, 14 2:02 AM
This game is asking me to install something called "DirectX"? What is it? Will it harm my computer?

Re:DirectX

[Post New]by TheWorldsAddress on Dec 10, 14 3:37 AM
Installing DirectX will not harm your computer. It is software made by Microsoft that makes it easier for developers to make games.

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by dueler on Dec 10, 14 4:48 AM
This is the second game this week where it's asking you to download DirectX, I have the latest DirectX (11) on my pc so why does it ask me to do it, surely when you are demo/downloading the game it should detect that you have the latest one or the lowest one you need to play the game and not flag this up, 99.9% of the gamers on here know that they have to have DirectX (9) or above otherwise they wouldn't be able to play most of the games and you at BFG always put what DirectX you need on the game page anyway.
Rant over.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Dec 10, 14 10:10 AM
dueler wrote:surely when you are demo/downloading the game it should detect that you have the latest one

It won't check during the installation until you allow it to do so.
And that's quite correct; I wouldn't want any prog to scan my PC during installation, the less during the DL before, w/o my permission.

This point with the question is your last / only chance to stop it. And if it was the Bing Bar or any other stuff like that (apologies to everyone who likes using that), it would be installed because it wasn't found on my computer...?! nah.

So, after you click "yes" for the installation of Direct X, it will come back with the message that the required or a newer version is already installed.

chevyqueen
Herring
Herring
303 Posts

[Post New]by chevyqueen on Dec 10, 14 10:31 AM
I am glad that it asked me to download the "DirectX". I am not that computer literate. I do not like going to websites that say free download of drivers. If I have the latest one then my computer already my computer won't download. I knew I was missing some components.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Dec 10, 14 12:59 PM
chevyqueen wrote:I am glad that it asked me to download the "DirectX". I am not that computer literate. I do not like going to websites that say free download of drivers. If I have the latest one then my computer already my computer won't download. I knew I was missing some components.

chevyqueen,
My knowledge-base on Technical inner-workings
is not so great either,
and am extra leery of trusting un-known sites, etc.
I attempt to research and ask questions first,
then go with my gut-feelings.
When it comes to Downloading something as an Update to Direct-X,
I always go through CNET to do it.

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Dec 10, 14 1:04 PM
When it asked me for permission to install DirectX, I told it yes and it went through the whole download and install procedure, even though I'm sure I already have it for other games. But then it wanted to restart the computer, and it gave me some sort of (brief) error message when it was shutting down. And when it came back, the game said my trial was expired! I had to redownload it and refuse the DirectX to get it to give me the trial. Seems like there's some problem with how this one is set up.

Go to: