bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Cards Solitaire here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Dec 10, 14 5:35 AM
Good morning Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Magic Cards Solitaire here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Magic Cards Solitaire.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Cards Solitaire here!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Dec 10, 14 2:12 PM
This is a good looking game with the familiar higher or lower format. Unfortunately there are too many thing that don't work properly. I had a hard time putting my name in because the y types as a z and the z types as a y. I don't know if any of the other letters are mixed up.

There was no good explanation of what the special card did for me. When I tried to play a wild card and a card with a sorcerer on it nothing happened.

When I finished the first level and got to a mini game it didn't work. I was supposed to put scrolls in the right compartments and I could neither pick them up or drag them.

If there's a fix for these problems I would consider the game as I liked the look of it and I love solitaire games. As of now I'll just have to pass.

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Dec 10, 14 3:47 PM
I usually enjoy playing solitaire games and wanted to like this one but there are too many things that I disliked about it.

Playing full screen, the cards are almost square shaped and changing this leaves a fairly small playing area with suites on the cards tiny except for the basic pack.

The graphics are very colourful but the magic grains popping all over the screen when a card is removed from the layout started to give me a headache. I think the effects are overdone at the expense of gameplay.

It is not clear what the target is on each level, although possibly this is explained in the tutorial. The help button did not help much. The layouts sometimes include more than one copy of the same card so it is difficult to judge which cards to remove.. Also it seems odd that cards that are partially covered by another card can be removed. I was able to use the wild cards and also go back when I missed something.

The sound effects are minimal and I disliked the so called music.

The mini game at the end of the first level is very simple.

I am sorry that I cannot be positive about the game but please try it for yourself as you may like it better than me.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Dec 10, 14 4:09 PM
I usually love solitaire games but couldn't make any sense of this one. Couldn't get the resolution correct and hadn't a clue how to get the wild card to work, it gives no instruction at ( when you go into HELP it says all help will be given in tutorial which was none existant). If anyone finds out how to play please do tell as I so wanted to like it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 10, 14 5:39 PM
I bought the game - have no problems with the mini game(s) or anything else. Cards look just the way they should, and thank goodness, they are not so small that it's hard to see the faces properly.

Here is a copy of my review I made on another site:

This is a golf Solitaire game (one higher or one lower).

Just before the installation is finished, a pop-up window with DirectX will appear. Just cancel it.

You can choose from 3 different Face cards.

I got widescreen for my laptop when I moved the Resolution slider all the way to the right to: 1920x1080 32 bit 60 Hz.

There are still borders on either side, but at least they are colourful and look part of the game.

Gameplay is a lot like "The Chronicles of Emerland Solitaire". When you play a hand, behind each stack of cards is a scroll hidden - later on it will be other things. You need those to make a spell, so the fairy that the sorcerer accidentially released from the book, can return home.
In time, you will get 4 different helpers, and you can buy cards from the shop.

I would recommend to do the tutorial. There are one or two things you might otherwise stumble over.

This is definitely a buy for me. Love this type of solitaire game, and this one is really nice.

There is no timer, and you can replay each hand to get a perfect and so you get all the objects on each level.

Edited to bold the part about the tutorial. If you don't use it, you may get stuck. I didn't use it in the demo, but used it when I bought the game and restarted it. There are things that will not be explained if you don't use the tutorial, and which will help understand the game better.

Edited on 12/12/2014 at 2:36:16 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Cards Solitaire here!

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 10, 14 6:32 PM
The more guessing in these solitaires, the less I like them. And as you go on w/ this one, you keep being given more and more piles in which you can't tell how many cards are left.

Nor is there any indication that, as in some others of this "Golf" style (that was the name of the solitaire back when you needed actual cards to play cards), I'm ever going to be able to see what card is up next so I can better plan play w/ the current card.

Cute pix on the cards (don't take that as a compliment). Attractive jokers and wilds. But that doesn't turn this into a buy for me.

However, thanks for a pleasant enough hour free demo.

Edited on 12/10/2014 at 6:34:22 PM PST

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Dec 11, 14 8:47 AM
Love the solitaire games but I was a little leery when I read first reviews, then I saw that Valdy gave it a good review and that is all I needed. I have followed Valdy's reveiws for years now and have confidence that this will be a great game. Thanks Valdy and thanks Big Fish.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 12, 14 12:22 AM
well.... I liked the visuals, and believe it or not, the music was very pleasant (not something you see every day) but this is a definite no - buy.

Started out being unable to enter my name, Yaelle. Imagine all the millions of Yaelles out there with this same issue! No but really...the game did not recognize the letter Y. Odd, never seen that before. But not a huge deal. I just made up something & continued on.

The game itself was odd, confusing & did not seem to have firmly established rules in it...?? Like for instance:

there could be 7 of one card value on display at once.

I had some sort of what I assume to be a wild card or ...something? down below (where you'd normally find wild cards) but could not use it, nor could Ifigure out what its use shoudlve been.

I never much "got" any of what was going on, aside from the obvious one up one down format.

Targets & progress were about as unclear as the screen with all of the stuff flying around it was.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 17, 15 8:29 AM
I am almost to the end of this game and, let me tell you, this is one long game. This is a game I will keep on my computer because I've had so much fun playing it. I was surprised by all the bad reviews.

First off, if you have a "Y" in your name, type "Z" and visa versa. The 2 letters are mixed up. No big deal.

Secondly, when you want to use a wild card, put it on top of your face up pile.

There are so many of these one up, one down games and most of them bore me. I like this one because it was challenging but not frustratingly so.

Yes, it's true that sometimes you don't know how many cards are in a pile to be removed, but that was part of the challenge. After you've played it once, you have an idea how many cards are in it. I would choose the piles with hidden cards to lower before the other piles until I knew I had them down to the last couple cards.

I agree that the mini games were stupid, but that didn't ruin this game for me.

My only issue, and it wasn't a deal breaker, is that there are wild cards with numbers and one wild card that will work with any number. You get these cards randomly while playing games and you can also buy them. The wild card with no number costs much more than the ones with numbers. However, all the cards with numbers are always available for sale. I don't know why anyone would ever pay extra for the unnumbered wild card.

Anyway, if you haven't tried this game, give it a go. You may love it as well.

jpabich
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Too many stars

[Post New]by jpabich on Mar 6, 15 3:59 PM
I was ready to purchase this game until I replayed the rest of the demo and realized why I didn't buy it right away. My mouse was so slow and there were way too many stars floating around after almost every move. Sorry, but those things really bothered me. Too bad -- I really wanted to purchase it.

Go to: