bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 11, 14 12:29 AM
You’ve never experienced a Christmas game like ERS Games can deliver…

Snow Hill is a magical town that preserves the Spirit of Christmas for the whole world. But now an evil sorceress threatens to plunge Snow Hill into eternal darkness! Do you have what it takes to save Christmas?

This is a special Collector's Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. As a bonus, Collector's Edition purchases count toward three stamps on your Monthly Game Club Punch Card!

The Collector’s Edition includes:

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 11, 14 2:17 AM
I played the Beta a year ago, and what I immediately loved about the game was that everything from the Menu tab to the Inventory and Hint, etc, was put in coloured Christmas decoration. What a let-down to see that it was changed and everything just looks bluish icy.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Dec 11, 14 8:36 AM
Played two betas, and each of them is one of the silliest games ever. At least the first version could have been promoted for children (riding in Santa's toy bag, HOSs with ornaments), although that huge black swan with red booties was a bit frightening! That was more than a year ago, and it was a terrible game.

Obviously they spent a lot of time changing a lot of the game, including the very storyline. Now you have a sister, Odri, who falls through the ice in Central Park, and for some reason her body must never be recovered, because you believe she is still alive, although now an adult. So, we go from riding in Santa's toy bag to a Christmas Wonderland, to a game starting with a child drowning during a skating accident. Merry Christmas!

The one thing I liked in the first version is gone in this one, the gnome puzzle. The rest of the HOS and puzzles are, for the most part, seasonally themed, but the same stuff as usual.

Play the demo, there is no indication that it begins with a tragedy, the game description is "A magical town needs your help to preserve Christmas!"

Even for ERS this is too much of a stretch for me, and I think it is, while visually pleasing, quite a poor game. They took things out, stuck other things in, and maybe it's just me, but I can tell the disjointed areas, or else I just remember what used to be there instead of what is there now. I already gave it two tries (the betas), so won't even be demoing it, which is why this post is here rather than in "reviews."

Oh, and please, developers, all of you... there are other ways to progress a game other than the tiresome amulet. And, no, portals won't do as an alternative!

I was hoping for Love Chronicles: A Winter’s Spell CE, where your collectibles gain access to Christmas cards, decorations for a tree and a holiday jigsaw puzzle! (At least in the beta... I hope that one wasn't changed too)

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 11, 14 9:48 AM
twinsoniclab,
I didn't play any beta versions of this game, but I also felt that the game was disjointed.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Dec 11, 14 10:47 AM
Well gee. . .what happened to the original style/story - and title(?) - for this game? I remember beta testing it last summer (2013) and thought it was going to be released sometime during that [past] holiday, but nuuupe. . .it never happened. I then figured it would be released this holiday - yep, here it is - only not the way I remember it. In the beta version, the game was bright and colorful (like that of our pachyderm friend's games) while this version is rather dreary in dark blue/violet tones (I don't get it!!) with little splashes of bright, cheery color. I played about 20 minutes of the 90-minute demo, but don't plan on finishing it. The setting is Christmas Eve; yet, the developers (for whatever reason) have decided to modify the story line to combine the original [beta] storyline with this add-on of "my sister's death via some creature from our childhood years" and, quite frankly, I don't exactly share in lack of holiday 'cheer' by schlogging through this game to learn how the two stories ultimately connect.

Otherwise, to those who have found this game to their liking, as with holiday "spirits" ( + = ), enjoy!!

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Dec 11, 14 11:48 AM
Well although I am enjoying this revamped game, I am very disappointed with the re-do. I loved the first game that was in the original beta and all of the bright and decorative colors. The revamp of the beta seems a bit lackluster by contrast. It is the holiday season and a wet rainy one here in California so we could use the bright lights and sparkle that we hope to see at this time of year.

I am enjoying the game and it plays well for me and seems a bit more like vintage ERS but gosh I wish the devs would have left some of the things that made the original beta release something to look forward to in the game. JMHO, but sometimes the changes just don't make a game better; although I am sure glad that the voiceovers are much better.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 11, 14 4:37 PM
Looks like I am not the only one who preferred the colourful and original story. I never ever buy a game before I demo it, but did so with this game, because I assumed that I would get pretty much what I played a year ago. Wrong !!

I am rather disappointed in the story. What a let down. Yet again another story that has been used a thousand times before. Whatever happened to originality?

The graphics are nice, and I like most of the HOS, but the storyline is just a bore. I much preferred ERS' Christmas game from last year.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Dec 11, 14 5:57 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:Oh, and please, developers, all of you... there are other ways to progress a game other than the tiresome amulet. And, no, portals won't do as an alternative!

Add runes to that! A rock with some lines scratched on it doesn't magically open a tree.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 12, 14 8:25 AM
I can only say that wait until you play tomorrow's offering I thought this game a marked improvement for this dev. I demoed tomorrow's game and it has got to be one of the worst games I have seen from this dev The story is beyond ridiculous. I would like to know what has happened to ERS. They were one of best Devs

Let me just add that the demo was so bad even my work buds made fun of it. I don't understand why BF continues to purchase their games? I liked this game but maybe I am just happy to see a game from them without cutesy animals and helpers. To each their own, I guess.

Edited on 12/12/2014 at 8:40:29 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Dec 13, 14 12:07 PM
Gratuitous holiday fare with little to recommend it. Endured the demo to the end. Was left with 60 minutes to spare. Same old thing wrapped up for the season. Been seeing a lot of these "cookie cutter" games lately. Yes it was lovely to look at, but that just isn't enough. Wouldn't want it even if it was free.

[Post New]by trackalonenanna on Dec 16, 14 10:23 PM
I hate this new version of the game and now I find I cant play it because the safe wont open when it should!

[Post New]by jimmiepr38 on Dec 17, 14 9:09 PM
I have enjoyed this game up to this point: after healing Robert the cave I was to next
enter caved in. I have had to restart this game several times for various reasons,my mad. In this third attempt the cave collapsed. This did dot occur in the first two
attempts. I can go no further and have no clue as to how to get around this or fix it. Help, I really would like to finish it.

Go to: