sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 11, 14 3:11 AM
Hope I am not stepping on anyone's little toes, but I don't see a review section, so I am starting this one. I need to leave so....... if you have a review, feel free to place it here. Thanks!

Edited on 12/11/2014 at 5:47:07 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 11, 14 3:19 AM
A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS AWAKENS OUR GAMERS FROM HIBERNATION

"A very creepy Christmas to you" from the GamERS. You play a woman plagued by recurring nightmares over her sister's disappearance while ice skating as children. Upon receiving a package with a medallion which is the same as you see in your dream, you return to the site of the tragedy. While at the site, you enter the alternate world of Snow Hill and meet the Snow Queen and her husband, Leonardo. The queen makes a deal with you that if you save their kingdom, you will get your sister back. You must halt a power driven sorceress who wants to collect the Snow Queen's and Leonardo's power so she can rule both worlds. Can you stop her and retrieve your sister from this alternate universe?

LEVELS: 4 Casual (Sparkles), Advanced (No sparkles, penalties), Hard (skips and hints ), CUSTOMIZED

GRAPHICS: Exquisite as usual for the GamERS. Realistic and well-done.

INVENTORY: Interactive and lockable

HOP SCENES: Interactive and varied. In the demo I encountered: A. Variation of returning items to the proper location B. Locating listed items C. Locating items for a potion D. A jigsaw puzzle is offered in lieu of the HOP scenes

PUZZLES: On some puzzles you have the option to choose Casual or Hard modes. In the demo I encountered: A. Paint by number B. Finding items and creating a formula C. Unscrambling an image by moving tiles D. Switching tiles to create a calendar E. Using a magnifying glass to find clues to identify their owners and further the storyline.

EXTRA GOODIES: A. 13 Achievements you collect to decorate your house for Xmas. B. A medallion to fight evil which is charged by doing good deeds. C. An interactive map received as you play the game.

COMMENTS: I LOVE THIS GAME! This is the GamERS at their best! This game has good movement and there are a myriad of activities to make this a great game. There is the ability to tailor some puzzles as to difficulty; the HOP scenes are puzzle-like, varied and unique; the graphics are amazing.

NOW TO RATE THIS CHRISTMAS NIGHTMARE. I RATE THIS GAME 7 SKATES OUT OF 5 SKATES. THE REMAINING PAIR OF SKATES IS FROM THE DEV MAKING IT EASY FOR YOU TO SKATE THROUGH THIS GAME WITH EASE.

Edited on 12/11/2014 at 12:35:40 PM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Dec 11, 14 5:47 AM
Morning Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 11, 14 6:09 AM

Midnight's Calling But Who's There?

Setting: The time is present day - but you won't spend too much time there. Back when you were about 7 or 8, you and your twin sister Odri were ice skating in NY's Central Park. You opened a portal in the ice and she fell through, never to be found. Fast forward to the present day and you're now an adult. The portal-opening medallion is mysteriously delivered to your doorstep. So you return to Central Park and enter the portal to a place called Snow Hill in search of Odri. Later, we are told that on Christmas Eve, the portal will open and.... well, you get the idea.

I had the benefit of a sneak peek of this game a while back so this was my second time through the demo. Not much is known about your character except you have dreams about Odri, you leave your violin on the floor, and you drive a red sports car. This game has the easily identifiable look of this developer. The portal world is done in a fantasy style, with the seasonal colors you would expect. Voices are good, an improvement over the beta version. The story is fairly simplistic, and the "surprise twist" at the end of the demo is not really unexpected.

According to the game menu, there are only 10 HOS and 4 mini games. There are a lot of other items that can only be opened with the right key. So expect to do a lot of backtracking. The map is transportable - it is a large map that you will have to click and drag to move to the desired location. In addition, game play involves finding and identifying items which belonged to your sister by using a magnifying glass to search for clues on the items.

There are four levels of difficulty, all of them being fully customizable for features including sliders for hint and skip recharge. Some mini-games have a Casual and Hard setting within the game.

This CE has achievements and the usual array of pseudo extras like soundtracks, wallpapers, concept art, etc. And of course a strategy guide and bonus level. There are no collectible items, which I found to be disappointing.

Based on the small number of HOS and games, I have concerns about game length. Also I do not see much in the way of extras to induce me to buy this as a CE. Before answering Midnight's Call, I'll check caller ID to be sure it's the SE calling.

Three and 1/2 snowflakes.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Dec 11, 14 6:30 AM

Edited on 12/12/2014 at 4:24:02 PM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 11, 14 7:33 AM
Steve San,

There are more HOS and mini games.

[Post New]by nowyouvedoneit on Dec 11, 14 7:34 AM
I really wanted to love this game because I love ERS games..however I just finished playing Christmas Stories 3:Hans Christen Andersen's Tin Soldier so I was spoiled. I love a game with action...characters interacting and amusing me..and I must admit..I love helpers. I played this game for about 10 minutes..I will go and finish the demo but don't think it will be a buy for me..I will probably use a free coupon when it comes out as a SE...finding gift boxes are the only real achievements I see and they are pretty easy to find. Too much find this..use this..back and forth. Elephant games are outdoing ERS ... that's my opinion.

[Post New]by huezang on Dec 11, 14 8:33 AM

Edited on 12/12/2014 at 4:29:12 PM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Dec 11, 14 10:05 AM
I felt that this game was disjointed and didn't flow very well: "Oh, by the way, use my crown to find symbols that open a devise that holds the fireball to destroy the ice monster", use a voodoo doll to open a box, and use a special magnifying glass to view the large tag with your sister's name on it to discover that the hat belongs to her.
I also had over 40 minutes left on the demo time, when I usually have a little less than 30 minutes for other CE demos.
This is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Dec 11, 14 10:43 AM
Much better game than I thought it would be.

Even though it is a rehashed story about portals & kidnapping with a get even theme It was a nice flowing game. Winter setting was nice but didn't necessarily need to encompass Christmas.

Graphics were bright/colorful & not as muddy/murky as usual.

Characters had nice movement & lip sync. The VO's seemed appropriate.

Liked the HOS/Puzzles for a change as they seemed to have a little different twist about them.

Didn't try the map or pay attention to the achievements.

Skip button worked quickly & the SG was quite helpful.

All in all nice game to while away a few hours without ghosts, ghoulies or vampires.

It might not be as challenging as some would like & I'm not sure it's CE worthy but give the demo a try & decide for yourself.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 11, 14 2:58 PM
Hi all. Wow, this is one of the shortest demo games I have seen in a very long time! Graphics are extremely nice, clean and clear. Colors are very bright and true. Game play was very good, with no problems during demo and it fit my large screen nicely. Voice overs are very well done, age appropriate and show emotion. Some things that are said are a little silly, but not a deal breaker. There is not a lot of music in this game, but the sound FX are throughout the game and very well done. From the looks of the jump map, there is a lot more to this game than we think. Map is quite helpful and is clear and easy to follow.

HOPs are fun and somewhat different, but not a lot of them in the demo. Items were not hard to find and no junk piles. Puzzles I ran across so far were very simple. Again, not that many so far. Hint system is quite helpful and it does transport to far away locations. The one thing I didn't care for with the hint, is that it will send you to a location where something needs to be done, but you can't do it just yet. Maybe it's to let you know that you will have to come back there eventually. That is not a hint, it is a waste of time.

Collectibles I found are gift boxes, which are not difficult to find. These are supposed to give you access to presents for the extras, but I didn't see where that was happening. I did see that when you get an achievement, a decoration is added to a room. Nothing morphing. I expected more from this dev, so I was a bit disappointed in the lack of collectibles, which does cause me to downgrade a game.

This game was not as good as the other Christmas game out this last week, but it was a very nice game and one that I did enjoy. I like the story, although nothing new. I think what drew me in was how well the voice overs are done. That, along with the graphics, make the game more realistic to me. I think it will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, I am going to add this one to my ever growing collection of CE's.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 11, 14 5:18 PM
I think I'll wait.....I hope someone will let me know how long this game is?demo was way way to short..............MAKES YOU WONDER ABOUT CE.............the story has me hooked but so far thats about it( DEMO HO'S AND PUZZLES 2 each) I think they are trying to get you involved with the story to sell this game................tick works for $9.99 but I'll still wait...................

Edited on 12/11/2014 at 5:21:46 PM PST

Re:Please post your RgreatEVIEWS for Christmas Eve: Midnight's Call Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by sweetauntbug on Dec 11, 14 6:11 PM
great game but only got to play 22 mins when said demo done i had 68 mins left. i don' think right when game said 90 mins to play i think should be 90 mins not 22 mins.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Dec 11, 14 7:24 PM
Very short demo, I had 50 minutes left to play. Graphics are nice, but some things in the HOS are small and hard to identify. The game played very nicely, but it was extremely simple and no challenge. There are no collectables which pretty much makes it a no buy for me. I like all the little extras to keep me challenged. I love morphing items and little helpers, although I know others may not. The little twist at the end of the demo was a no brainer. Sorry, I'm passing on this one.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 11, 14 8:33 PM
There will be a more detailed review on the game page when I am able to post it there, but here's the jist of it:

The story was great. It was not what I expected at all, and had some nice twists. Bbut this is, hands down, the EASIEST game to come out in a long time! I played on "hard" mode and turned black bars on. In hindsight I probably should have kept them off.
I put hard in quotation marks because it was not hard at all. The hint/skip charge time was 40 seconds (the same as some CASUAL settings!) and the map still showed where you have tasks to perform.

The adventure component was incredibly easy and basic, but the HOS were fun. Overall, though, this is just another potential ERS masterpiece ruined by a total lack of effort and challenge.

Edited on 12/11/2014 at 8:39:05 PM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Dec 11, 14 9:47 PM
Really, really wanted to like this game. But, didn't. Tried .... but couldn't. Just kind of shook my head at the mediocrity of it. By the end of the demo, I knew who the mean girl was - duh, knew the plot of the story - duh, and by looking at the pictures at the end of the demo could pretty much tell you how it would end - duh. No collectibles except those boxes and to what end are we collecting them anyway???? Every time we get an achievement, a new decoration shows up in our living room. Wouldn't it have been better for US to do the decorating? Maybe finding the decorations as the collectibles?

The graphics were great. Music was the usual ERS music. The "dark" story line was novel, I suppose, from the "holly jolly" Christmas games being offered. The HGOs were easy as were the mini games.

There was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much back and forthing .... and forth and backing. I was never so glad to see a new area open!

This game was such a big disappointment. Definitely NOT CE worthy. Not a buy for me either. I can't even justify using a coupon when there are sooo many other worthy games out there this time of year.

And, I have to admit, I nodded off and woke up with the game still playing so can't attest to the length as I still had 6 minutes left at the end .... but, according to what I've read here ... I had a really long nap.

[Post New]by Lyric30092 on Dec 12, 14 9:44 AM
Eh, it was cool but I finished the game in under 24 hours. A little pricey for such a quick thrill.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Fell short of my expectations!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Dec 12, 14 12:09 PM
This game was for me disappointing. I really dislike having to say that it was a disappointment because I do realize the effort it requires to produce a game.

I think we members deserve more of the kind of games such as the recent Dire Grove sequel. Give us substance -- some games with meat to chew on -- I long for a journal that reads like a book. I know you can do better than this game.

[Post New]by freemanrose on Dec 12, 14 1:42 PM
ok what is going on with this christmas eve edition,i have download all three games,and not a one will play,i keep getting this Date Execution Prevention massage,now what do i do ? i am about to undo the whole thing. just frustrated with it.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 13, 14 5:57 AM
I also wanted to like this game -- beautiful color for once (and ERS is usually good with color on this computer), and Central Park in the snow looking at what appears to be a fanciful 5th Avenue through the trees (with a pretty tiny lake that looks like a pond -- the actual lake in Central Park is huge and the winter skating area is in a different area of the park), was great, but once I was in the game, well, not so great game play. The collectibles, gift boxes, are very easy to spot, but I have no idea what they do for you once found, and the achievements are awarded for, sorry, sometimes meaningless accomplishments, but your living room gets decorated for Christmas. Okay..... One sister is searching for the other and by the end of the demo, what she's searching for is a whole lot more worrisome than she ever thought, and I figured that out shortly before the reveal at the end of the demo. Now, that was kind of interesting, but the game play wasn't -- I just didn't care, other than freeing a wolf cub or white puppy or whatever it was. The mini-games were either bizarre (too dyslexic for me) or incredibly non-challenging, the HOPs I've now forgotten and I played this yesterday. I was taken aback at the overflowing breasts on the ice maidens (as they turned out to be) guarding the path to the evil one, and the fake English accents were worse than usual. As I said I really wanted to like this game, but I just didn't find it interesting enough, certainly not as a CE. I'm not even sure I'd check it out as an SE, although I might just to see how the story ends. However, again, some people will love this, I'm sure given the story and the lovely color. I should add that the to-ing and fro-ing were absolutely fine for me -- that's not something that bothers me and I use the map (this one wasn't very helpful) and the hint if I get lost.

Go to: