catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Magnificent Seal here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 17, 14 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 12/17/2014 at 6:36:25 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Magnificent Seal here!

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 17, 14 3:01 AM
I lasted 20 minutes of what was basically one HOS after another before hitting the 'quit' button. Grainy graphics didn't help, nor the small objects.

With some work this could have been a reasonable game but there are just far too many HOS. I only came across one puzzle in the time I played. And there are sparkles everywhere, with no option to turn them off. In fact there are no options of any sort apart from turning down the music/voices. But the narrative was spoken beautifully and the story was quite interesting too.

I suspect this may be a first effort from this developer, as I don't recall seeing them before. And English is clearly not their first language; I must admit to laughing out loud at the line 'the thief was executed to death'! Since the definition of execute is 'put to death', there was never any other outcome for the thief!

Not a buy for me due to the over abundance of HOS but some may like it.

ETA: I had to install Adobe Air for this game to run but having checked on-line first, it's nothing to worry about. And I've successfully removed it now after deleting the game.

Edited on 12/18/2014 at 1:16:42 AM PST

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Dec 17, 14 6:36 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Magnificent Seal here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Magnificent Seal .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 17, 14 8:37 AM

Drop The "Magnificent" Part

Setting: a seal was given to an ancient sultan as a gift. It was rumored to have the power to grant any wish to its owner. But the seal was stolen and though the thief was caught, the seal was not recovered. The sultan's Grand Vizier was suspected of taking the seal, but this was never proven. You have been called to repair the clock at the Vizier's mansion.

Compared to most recent games, the artwork in this one is fuzzy, not sharp at all. It is a pity because it becomes an issue when searching for objects. The regular scenes are wide and you must pan left and right to view the entire area. The instructions tell you that you can use a webcam to do this if you have one installed. However, a mouse works just fine as well.

Play consists of mostly hidden object scenes one after another. They are indicated by sparkles. There is very little else to explore anyway. There are also a few spot the difference. All of these are somewhat challenging, but mostly because of the fuzzy drawing, not because of skill in design.

Music is predominantly piano with other string instruments supporting. I found it to be fairly relaxing. Sound effects were seldom used but appropriate. There are no voices other than the opening narrator, just text for dialog.

I ran into a problem after playing most of the demo. I had collected eight of the nine clock gears, but there was no apparent pending action for me to complete for the ninth gear. In vain I searched all the rooms several times, then finally gave up. The Hint would not recharge as apparently you have to play an HO for that to happen.

Until the point I got stuck, I would have recommended this to lovers of hidden object games. Despite the somewhat fuzzy artwork and slightly clumsy navigation, the game seemed to have potential entertainment value. However as it stands I'll have to pass. I will update this review if I find out I missed something I should have seen.

Two stars for the potentially, but not Magnificent Seal.

Edited on 12/17/2014 at 8:47:02 AM PST

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Dec 17, 14 10:00 AM
Click penalty after 2 wrong clicks is an immediate no buy for me.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Dec 17, 14 10:05 AM
Magnificent Seal is a no buy for me. I only lasted 15 mins of the demo and quit for good.

Still not certain as to what the storyline is supposed to be other than my character being in the building to find the gears to repair the clock mechanism.

I think the programmers tried to create a visually rich scene. What they did instead was create so much detail that all had the same depth and same contrast that it was visually static. All the detail has the tendency to run together, look too bright and not actually attract your attention. The motto "Less is more" should have been applied here.

Rolling HOS and very little else. I did get into a couple of puzzles, but they weren't particularly interesting. And everything, from items in HOS to items in the puzzles, was way too small and without sufficient contrast. Items blended into the mishmash of detail in the background.

And the objects in the paintings weren't even objects but tiny shadows of objects. Good lord! The paintings looked like they were supposed to be faded from time and that only made the hunt for the itty bitty shadows that much harder.

Then there were the pages, supposedly from a book, but each one written like a letter. I'm assuming the names used were Turkish (since this is set in Istanbul). That was very confusing because the average Westener (who is mostly the who is playing the game) have no idea what the gender of Turkish names are. I spent a few minutes trying to figure out if it's a woman writing to a man, man writing to a woman, man writing to a man. And apparently the writer is attracted to the reader? Or what?

The game could have been more interesting if the storyline were clearer, the images were less detailed and more distinct, the objects large enough to find without using a microscope and clarity created for the player.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 17, 14 4:29 PM
For the purist HOP lover this a game designed specifically for you. Go for it! BF provides games for everyone's tastes, which makes them the best supplier of games in the business.

A sultan receives a magic seal which grants wishes as a gift. It is stolen and when the supposed thief is caught, he is executed "till he is dead." LOL Hey - can you execute someone without them dying? LOL However, the actual culprit is probably the vizier. This game was created in India, I would venture to guess.

This game is an enigma to me. On the one hand, it provides some innovative game technology in which you "use your head" via your webcam to provide movement within the scenes of the game. However, there is no voice in this game. The graphics are cartoonish. The figures are one-dimensional. The "muzac" is irritating to me.

There is only one level of play. This is principally a HOP game and it is fiendish. Items are difficult to find, which to me, is nerve racking. I play game to relax, not become more keyed up. If you click too many times, the screen darkens. The HOP scenes are junk piles and NOT puzzle-like. There is only one level. There are sparkles all over this game. This game to me is pretty lame.

I played 30 minutes into the game until I just gave up due to prior commitments plus the fact I found it tedious and boring! There are a few puzzles in the game. Basically, I am not wasting my time on this game.

I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS WEEK'S NEW PACHYDERM GAMES WHICH BF SENT ME TO BETA TEST! HEY - EVERYONE. I PROMISE I WILL DEMO THEM AS WELL. HOWEVER, ONE I WILL PURCHASE IMMEDIATELY. YEP - THEY ARE THAT GOOD. A NICE CHRISTMAS OR HANNUKAH PRESENT FROM OUR GAME SUPPLIER! PACHYDERM IS MY NEW FAVORITE DEV. SORRY PIXIES. I AM FICKLE, I KNOW. LOL

Is BF stealthily getting into another sideline business, that of psychic services and love spells? And guess what? They are offering spells and incantations for all the countries in the world! And here I thought the recent game about the Hungarian Gypsy Finders was just a storyline. Maybe they are for real and working at BF! LOL! Geesh! BF - You really need to do something about that early morning spam. There was enough for me to make a nice tasty sandwich for lunch!

Edited on 12/17/2014 at 4:40:53 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 17, 14 6:10 PM
It reminds me a great deal of the hidden object games that were available when I first joined here. Yes, the graphics are rough and the game play consists mainly of HOs but I'm enjoying it. I like the ridiculous romance with the exchange of flowery letters between forbidden lovers.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Dec 17, 14 9:13 PM
snapnhiss wrote:It reminds me a great deal of the hidden object games that were available when I first joined here. Yes, the graphics are rough and the game play consists mainly of HOs but I'm enjoying it. I like the ridiculous romance with the exchange of flowery letters between forbidden lovers.

I am truly glad that someone liked this game as much as you did. I always hope that there is someone out there for every unloved game.

Thanks for all your reviews .... it put me to sleep. NOT the reviews! The game! No, really, it did. Just could not get into it and the music ..... maybe the ridiculously early hour I was trying to play it had a part in the falling asleep but I really think it was one HO after the other, horrible graphics and, apparently (for me anyway) EXTREMELY relaxing music.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Dec 17, 14 9:17 PM
Thank-You BF I enjoyed the game. The artwork was very plain, but I believe that was the point...so as to not distract from the storyline. It had a lot of HOGS ( if you enjoy that) and very simple but yet deeper meaning to the story that was enfolding.Thank-You again for all the different games.

[Post New]by liliaapolline on Dec 20, 14 4:08 PM
Really poor game, played just 15 mins of demo. Poor graphics, poor "story line". not for me.

Go to: