Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 25, 09 1:57 AM
Eh... *shrug*

I am a devotee of True Crime shows and books, so I was semi-excited about a True Crime game, even though I knew this particular story already. But in fact it seems to me it's an interesting idea and story hung on a pretty run of the mill game.

I am always pleased to see Timed and Relaxed Mode options, but did they need to make the Relaxed Mode have a vaguely insulting description? "Rookie"?

The hidden objects are "Junk Pile" style BUT unlike most junk piles that fill a space and that's the challenge, there are not trerribly many items which means things that don't belong in the scene stand out like, well, a cello superimposed on the back of a couch... Finding things is very easy. The most challenging HO scene was when they returned to a previously visited scene at night and they just made it dark. Yeah, it's harder to find hidden objects in the dark...

In each HO scene you either get a very simplistic Inventory puzzle item or a description of an item, like what Spintop does so well in their HO games, which earns a hint. Mini-games also earn hints. So far there has been a fingerprint matching which was somewhat challenging, and a swap tiles to make a picture and a concentration, which were not. So hints are easy to get but unecessary for the most part with sore thumb objects to find.

We've had an abundance of what I consider good to excellent HO games recently so this may be just that I'm full before I get to the table. There's nothing horrible here, but just not impressed. I pretty quickly wanted to quit and go play something more fun. It *is* a Felix's Fave and if I get very close to a prize I might go ahead and get it for lean HO times, but otherwise I'd pass.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:TGT - Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 25, 09 2:07 AM
IMy major complaint about this game is length. As as slow player I was over halfway through after the demo time - and I thought Affair Bureau was short.

I thought the story was intriguing and the graphics were good.

I agree with Poodle about the ease of the gameplay and mini games from what I experienced playing an hour. Not much challenge here.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 25, 09 2:08 AM
I pretty much agree with you Poodle. After a 10 min. try I quit and went back to Cate West which is a far better game. I bought this to get that keychain and now i am done with the Promo, Phew! (Wipes brow.) Now i can go back to getting games i want without having to buy games that I don't really want just because they are FF (this game and Mirror Mirror would not be in my GM except for the Promo).

I also agree with what you said in the other thread, I was about to say the same. Thanks!

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 25, 09 2:09 AM
Thank you . Have bought it although went back to playing Cate West within 20 minutes. Agree, overwhelmed and spoilt with HOGs at the moment but that little fishy keyring keeps calling!!! - so guess you could say "saving for a rainy day".

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 25, 09 3:04 AM

Yes thanks for the review .. ..
........................................... O~~O
........................................... ( ..... )
........................................... ....+

The keyring is calling me too so I will have to buy it even though it is short.

(the was too close to the writing)

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 3:59:12 AM PST

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Apr 25, 09 5:11 AM
Thanks Poodle. Well as I already have 4 games that I still haven't finished 2 H OGs and 2 Adventure , I think I am going to give this one a miss.

Think I'm only going to achieve a mouse mat anyway so am waiting for a really good one (hopefully) for my 5th!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 25, 09 5:27 AM
I know better than to even download this. I play games to relax, and true crimes makes me shudder.

For crime fans, I hope you enjoy it.

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 5:28:06 AM PST

Momhart
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,296 Posts

[Post New]by Momhart on Apr 25, 09 5:45 AM
I'm downloading it now. I hope I like it. I played Cate West 4 times and still have 10 mins. left. Still have 2 games to buy to get the keychain.

Boy....that's one expensive keychain. Hahahahaaa!!!

=^o^=

[Post New]by TimeladyShayde on Apr 25, 09 5:58 AM
I always skip through the talky bits in these games as the story lines rarely interest me. In this case it meant that I completed the whole game within 52 minutes. Not good guys. I need at least a couple of hours game play otherwise I feel like I've wasted my money. I also think that if they intend to make more true crime games it might be a good idea to go for older cases such as Dr Crippen, Lizzie Borden, Christopher Marlowe etc. A Jack the Ripper one would be awesome.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 25, 09 6:05 AM
Thanks for the info! I was thinking of getting this because I liked the music and the graphics and like you I skip the text first time round when I'm playing the demo. I hesitated because I was iffy about playing a game about such a hideous crime and criminal who's still in jail. 52 minutes is way too short! I definitely won't be buying now.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 25, 09 6:29 AM
If you want a Jack the Ripper game, try Mystery in London.

[Post New]by TimeladyShayde on Apr 25, 09 8:17 AM
I liked Mystery in London, but what I really want is something darker and actually set in 1888. Also I want something a bit more challenging. The problem I find with a lot of the hidden object games now is that they're just too easy and one is very much like another.

MOMMY54
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MOMMY54 on Apr 25, 09 10:22 AM
I am trying for the second time to download this game. It keeps stopping at around 60 - 70 %. This is very frustrating, as I would like to be able to at least try this game and then decide whether I like it or not.

I am going to try again... but I don't know.....

MOMMY54
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MOMMY54 on Apr 25, 09 10:40 AM
FINALLY.... I got it downloaded and installed, will share my thoughts later.....

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 25, 09 10:44 AM
Why 1888?

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Apr 25, 09 10:46 AM
Mine stopped also around that percentage.....but what I did made it start up again....I clicked on the 'Pause' button there, and then clicked it again, and it started back up.
MOMMY54 wrote:I am trying for the second time to download this game. It keeps stopping at around 60 - 70 %. This is very frustrating, as I would like to be able to at least try this game and then decide whether I like it or not.

I am going to try again... but I don't know.....

gadget56
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by gadget56 on Apr 25, 09 11:21 AM
It was O.K., but finished the whole game before the demo was up.

bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Apr 25, 09 12:09 PM
vicalana wrote:Why 1888?

The Ripper murder's were all carried out in 1888.
xx

dexter3657
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by dexter3657 on Apr 25, 09 12:30 PM
I'm with Gadget56, FINISHED the game before the hour trial was up. I don't think they will sell many games if you can play the whole thing in the free hour. I played all the mini games, didn't really read the story, and only used a few hints. Way too short. IMHO.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 25, 09 12:38 PM
Liked the graphics, liked the music. Wasn't put off by the whole "true crime" idea. Played most of the mini-games (skipped the last few), read most of the dialogue, because for once, it was pretty interesting, and clearly written by a native speaker of English, so there were no "Huh?" moments. All that being said, I finished the game in 57 minutes. No sale here.

Go to: