REAL CRIMES: THE UNICORN KILLER - a new low in gaming

[Post New]by stillwren on Apr 25, 09 2:55 AM
POOR TASTE BIG FISH!!!!!!!!! - are you kidding? the real names, etc.??? I can't play a game that is the story of someone's murder and I think this game is disgusting. HUGE thumbs down - hope no one in her family ever sees it. I am amazed at the lack of respect to someone's memory, let alone under the circumstances in which she died.

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 3:05:40 AM PST

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

Re:REAL CRIMES: THE UNICORN KILLER - A NEW LOW

[Post New]by BinLA on Apr 25, 09 3:04 AM
I wrote the same on another thread -- it's disgusting. His story is disgusting. They didn't have to have his name and crime attached to the game.

What next -- Columbine, The Game?

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 3:05:31 AM PST

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

Re:REAL CRIMES: THE UNICORN KILLER - a new low in gaming

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Apr 25, 09 5:37 AM
I wonder if anyone here has considered that perhaps BFG may have in fact spoken to and gotten permission from the family and people this game is about? Perhaps its their way of making sure their family member will never be forgotten. For some I am sure this would be in bad taste but not to everyone. I havent played it yet but I will, perhaps my opinion will match those already posted here but I doubt it.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 25, 09 5:40 AM
I have played it all the way through. Throughout the game Ira Einhorn is never glorified. The summary at the end is respectful to Ms. Maddux and her family and DOES illustrate, very vividly, the depth of tragedy this was for them.

jyork
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by jyork on Apr 25, 09 5:43 AM
SnowTiger1632 wrote:I wonder if anyone here has considered that perhaps BFG may have in fact spoken to and gotten permission from the family and people this game is about? Perhaps its their way of making sure their family member will never be forgotten. For some I am sure this would be in bad taste but not to everyone. I havent played it yet but I will, perhaps my opinion will match those already posted here but I doubt it.

Wouldn't it have been a better marketing strategy to explain to customers that the family did give permission, if they truly did give permission?

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Apr 25, 09 6:06 AM
Why would they have to post to the people who play here? Just to soothe some preconception that its improper or inappropriate because you feel it is? As long as they have permission or at least the approval of the family then leave it be. You have a right to feel its in bad taste but I still wonder if you considered it before you posted

I played part of the demo(then my video card crashed) but never once did I get the feeling or impression that the person responsible for this crime was ever glorified or approved of. Yes a sense of respect for the mans ability to fool the people around him is conveyed in a small way they never once say they approved of him or his methods.

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 6:08:41 AM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Apr 25, 09 6:08 AM
And how is it any of our business whether they did get permission or not? That's not our deal. It's up to BF to handle the legalities...it's up to us to decide whether to buy a game or not. If you are offended by the subject matter of a game then, quite simply, you have the choice to not buy it or demo it. It's all about personal choice.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 25, 09 6:27 AM
Technically speaking I think it's up to the company that develops the game. BFG is the distributor but they most certainly didn't develop it.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Apr 25, 09 6:30 AM
So true lordkalvan...and again, it's none of our business. All we have to worry about is whether we want to buy it or not. To me...it's the same thing as reading a true crime book. It's all about personal taste.

jyork
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by jyork on Apr 25, 09 7:54 AM
SnowTiger1632 wrote:Why would they have to post to the people who play here? Just to soothe some preconception that its improper or inappropriate because you feel it is? As long as they have permission or at least the approval of the family then leave it be. You have a right to feel its in bad taste but I still wonder if you considered it before you posted

I played part of the demo(then my video card crashed) but never once did I get the feeling or impression that the person responsible for this crime was ever glorified or approved of. Yes a sense of respect for the mans ability to fool the people around him is conveyed in a small way they never once say they approved of him or his methods.

I'm not sure if this response was for me, but I never said anything about the game being innapropriate or that I feel that it is in bad taste. I have not even played the game yet. I just said that it would have been a good marketing strategy to say if the family did give permission.

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Apr 25, 09 7:59 AM
Wasent posted to any one person. I was simply expanding on my original comment.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Apr 25, 09 8:06 AM
Did they include the information in the game that after he killed his girlfriend, he kept her body in a trunk in his closet for 18 months until the cops found it because of complaints by his neighbors? Did they say that the neighbors could smell her decomposing body for months, which meant that HE WAS SMELLING IT EVERY DAY as well.

If you knew the entire story, you might be offended too at just the idea of using his name and crime as the theme for a game.

I remember the crime, maybe that's why it's so disgusting to me. The fact that it was 24 years before he was even caught and tried for her murder makes it even worse.

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 8:07:57 AM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Apr 25, 09 8:13 AM
But it's the same thing as writing/reading a true crime book...a book written about a horrendous crime solely for someone else's entertainment. It's all about personal choices and personal tolerances. To me, it's no more offensive than reading a true crime book and if someone wants to pay money to play this game then that is their choice and I don't think it's disrespectful to anyone. It's obviously offensive to you, so you have the choice not to buy the game. But I see nothing wrong with BF offering it to their customers. They are just providing a product and it's up to other people to buy it or not. JMHO>

cspmbs
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

[Post New]by cspmbs on Apr 25, 09 8:25 AM
Perhaps the family sold the "rights" to the story...(which I think they have to) because they need the $ for costs associated with this...or maybe they were ready 2 loose they're house or something. Now I (personally) am not condoning this story...but when push comes to shove, some peple do whatever they have to just 2 continue onward in life.

Example: The Casey/ Caylee Story in Florida....the family and or Casey sold pictures and videos (and a movie in the works) to cover the time Casey's parents missed from worked the first 3 months, to have those T-shirts made, for bodyguards(no one should have 2 do that on, for a crisis like this one!) The family has lawyers, and PR people that don't work for free. Not 2 mention at least some of Casey's lawyers are paid, forensic testing...so they had to sell parts of the story and pictures.
*** The whole world assumes Casey killed her child, but the justice system says a person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. What if on the off-chance she is innocent????
And I didn't mean to start any controversy...but if they sold the rights then they already knew all forms of media what use it. However I do sympathize with all the people involved in this original tragedy.

AND LEAST OF ALL i DON'T BLAME BIG FISH for offering it to their customers either. If they wouldn't have done it someone else(if they haven't already) would have done it. I also agree with the person that said it's like reading a true crimes book.
I will play the game and just consider it another HO Game!

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 8:30:01 AM PST

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Apr 25, 09 8:28 AM
BinLA wrote:Did they include the information in the game that after he killed his girlfriend, he kept her body in a trunk in his closet for 18 months until the cops found it because of complaints by his neighbors? Did they say that the neighbors could smell her decomposing body for months, which meant that HE WAS SMELLING IT EVERY DAY as well.

If you knew the entire story, you might be offended too at just the idea of using his name and crime as the theme for a game.

I remember the crime, maybe that's why it's so disgusting to me. The fact that it was 24 years before he was even caught and tried for her murder makes it even worse.

First off I know the story, thanks. Did my research before I said anything. It happened roughly 3 years after my birth and while I myself dont find what he did to be right it DOESNT mean that I object to a game/book/movie/whatever being made of it. Yes he committed a horrendous crime, yes he hid and ran from those who would have tried and executed him and yes he was eventually caught and jailed for life. Its done and over with, even her family found some closure over the matter. Let it drop already. You dont approve, cool Im fine with that but dont act as if those of us who liked the game are any less right for doing so. Besides, you knew the topic,why get fussed over it, if you dont like it dont play. Simple as that. As Sillyfeet and I have both said dont play it if it offends or upsets you but dont knock on others who want to play this sort of game.

Edited on 04/25/2009 at 8:49:19 AM PST

Lydya
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by Lydya on Apr 25, 09 8:31 AM
The subject matter aside. The game itself sucks. I FINISHED it within the hour trial with 6 minutes to spare! If you are in to hidden object games that keep you guessing this is not the game for you. Highly dissappointing!

SnowTiger1632
Catfish
Catfish
1,679 Posts

[Post New]by SnowTiger1632 on Apr 25, 09 8:34 AM
Lydya wrote:The subject matter aside. The game itself sucks. I FINISHED it within the hour trial with 6 minutes to spare! If you are in to hidden object games that keep you guessing this is not the game for you. Highly dissappointing!

On that point I agree it was quite short.

LindyMac
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by LindyMac on Apr 25, 09 8:39 AM
I'm with lydya on this one, I was getting ready whilst playing so was going away and coming back - I really wish I'd just sat down and played, then I wouldn't have wasted money on it, I'm really quite angry that I did, games that short should have some kind of warning.

On the matter of the theme of the game, I found it interesting and no different to the myriad of true crime programmes on these days. I don't think they HAVE to get permission although I think many do as a courtesy.

tix48
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by tix48 on Apr 25, 09 9:04 AM
I won't buy this game nor will I try it! To the Developers of this game i think there is a point where you need to put a stop to making money. Whomever came up with the idea to make a game of this horrible tragedy I don't know but To me this is just wrong. Not blaming anyone and Not saying Whomever developed this game didn't have permission I am sure they did But to me it';s still wrong. I don;t know I can;t play a game that is about a true story of someone being killed! I don't even like hearing about these things let alone play the game. This game would just make me cry!

midnight1864
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by midnight1864 on Apr 25, 09 9:31 AM
True crime stories are everywhere. This case has been featured on tv as well as books that have been written about
this case. I dont see this as being any different then that.

She was a wonderfull girl who met with a terrible fate at the hands of a narsistic mad man.
we can only be thankful that her family finally got justice with his life in prison after he was extridited to the US.
Unfortunatly her father took his own life before he could see that day.
I in no way do I feel this game glorifies this crime. If anything it brings it back to the for front of our mind. to keep us aware that people like this live & are around us all the time. We need to be vigilant of our surrondings. The world is a scary place.
I had recently moved to lancaster co Pa around the time of this. (i dont live in Pa anymore)
This was such a tragedy....
I dont take offense to this game, it brings back her memory. That in its self is not bad. We should never forget.
I understand others feel differently & I respect that .To each his own.this is only my opinion.
God Rest Her Soul.........

Go to: