Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 18, 14 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews

Edited on 12/18/2014 at 5:44:41 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 18, 14 3:20 AM
Not sure about this latest offering from Elephant; it's certainly a far cry from the Tin Soldier and definitely not full of Christmas cheer!

Presented in mostly shades of blue, the game played smoothly with no technical issues. I do like that you can increase the brightness and in this game you might need to, as it's all a bit gloomy. But what would you expect from a haunted hotel, where every door seems to lead to the discovery of another victim

The puzzles were fairly simple, the HOS mildly interactive with some variations to the list type. Everything is locked as usual and if I see one more bag without a zipper pull I'll scream

The playing options are customisable. I chose to have sparkles for the HOS but none for the active areas. And in the first scene, the nails I have to remove are sparkling. As is everything else that's available to do So much for no sparkles then. There are collectibles and the map is transportable, as well as showing things to do (if you want it to).

I did like the story; someone is clearly out to 'right wrongs' or at least what they perceive to be wrongs. Whether or not the 'victims' are even real is unclear, which makes it all even more mysterious. And is James dead or alive?

I just don't know if there's enough challenge in this game to make it worth the CE price. I didn't look at the strategy guide once so can't comment on how many chapters there are. It was all a bit easy and the sparkles were an annoyance. I assume the only way to avoid them is to play on hard mode. I'd really like something new to play (still waiting for Gardens Inc 3 to be released), so if the weekend sale is a reduction in the price of CE's, I will probably buy this game. Otherwise I'll wait for the SE.

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by greenshade on Dec 18, 14 3:25 AM
Angelfish, I would have waited for SE, too, but took a chance to see what would happen with yesterday's code and when I hit "buy" it actually sold it to me for the price of an SE without having to put in the code! Happy Christmas to me!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 18, 14 3:34 AM
greenshade wrote:Angelfish, I would have waited for SE, too, but took a chance to see what would happen with yesterday's code and when I hit "buy" it actually sold it to me for the price of an SE without having to put in the code! Happy Christmas to me!

I did the same, just to see what would happen! I had one credit which it took and nothing else to pay. But....I only got one punch even though it's a CE. Not that I'm bothered; I've got 6 PCC's and no SE's to buy so I'm in no hurry to fill another punch card!

So I guess I'll find out now if James is dead or alive

ETA: The main game took me around 4 hours to finish and the bonus chapter about 45 minutes. The 'alternate ending' has no gameplay; it's just exactly what it says and lasts about 30 seconds. Still got the sparkles everywhere, even though I chose not to have them on active areas

Edited on 12/18/2014 at 8:48:06 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Dec 18, 14 5:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Haunted Hotel: Death Sentence Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Dec 18, 14 6:15 AM
what was yesterday's code????

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 18, 14 7:16 AM
ROCKING THE SCALES OF JUSTICE IN A HOTEL WHERE YOU CAN GET IN BUT YOU MAY NOT GET OUT

It is "lights out" for this game! Lights should be out and this game played in the dark for the ultimate sensation of creepiness. While you are playing you, will witness "lights out" for some ghostly criminals who got away with murder as well. From the dark background to the haunting music throughout this game, we have a creepy little thriller from Pachyderm!.

Why are you at the Holy Mountain Hotel? Something mysterious has happened to your partner in crime (solving them that is), James. After receiving a his letter, you go to this haunted hotel to find out what happened to your fellow sleuth. Once at the hotel, you replay the lives of ghosts "who got away with a crime," and realize that someone wants to balance the scales of justice - but why? And who is Esrael?

LEVELS: 4 - Casual (Sparkles) Advanced (No sparkles) Hard (No hints, skips) CUSTOMIZED

GRAPHICS AND MUZAC : Realistic and beautiful as usual for Pachyderm in this dark creepy game. The "muzac" was eerily creepy! Dark tones abound throughout this game!

INVENTORY AND HOP SCENES: Inventory is interactive, puzzle-like and lockable. The HOP scenes I encountered in the demo: A. Silhouettes of items which open up pieces of an inventory item you must reconstruct B. Interactive junk piles.

PUZZLES: In the demo I found more puzzles than HOP scenes. Puzzles included: A. Matching up teeth of keys with molds B. Repairing a projector. C. Solving codes to open locks, D. Using wiring to create numbers to open a lock (rather cool). Figuring out the number code to open a trunk E. Using sliders to match shapes

EXTRA GOODIES: A. 22 collectibles of green antiques B. I counted 13 Achievements C. Interactive map provided at the beginning of the game D. Collect characters from the game E. Strategy guide

COMMENTS: An outstanding, ghostly whodunit! I LOVE this game and will purchase. This game has everything. The storyline is creepy, the haunting ""Hush Little Baby" (it did get a trifle annoying ) and moans add to the mood as well. The puzzles are decent. There are plenty of collectibles for those who look for them. There were not many HOP scenes in the demo but are variable and well-done.

I RATE THIS GAME 7 SCALES OUT OF 5 SCALES. THE OTHER 2 SCALES OF JUSTICE TIP TOWARD YOU ENJOYING THIS SPOOKFEST

Edited on 12/18/2014 at 7:38:18 AM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Dec 18, 14 11:33 AM
Another rehashed story plot of someone trying to avenge what they perceive is a wrongdoing. This, of course, involves a rundown hotel & shadowy figure. You are called in to sort things out. It would be nice if the devs put a new/different spin on these endless rehashed storylines!!

VO are good though the only characters you see are skeletons & there is no movement involved.

Graphics are usual murky, dark & blue. I know it's a haunted house theme but the colorizations are still not to my taste.

The music is quite annoying. Again, it's a haunted house but there must be some better choices for the background music.

HOS are the usual messy junk piles with some interaction. Puzzles are ok. I did find a couple that I enjoyed.

Hint/Skip buttons can be customized down to 15 seconds, which I consider a bonus.
When it's time to move on I want to do it NOW.

The hint button also teleports you to the next scene. This is a nice feature as it cuts down on the to & fro of wandering in the house/garage & on the grounds.

I found some collectibles just by clicking on things that looked out of place. I really did not put any effort into finding them they just disappeared when I clicked on them.

I didn't find the story especially creepy, just more of the same old tired storyline.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Dec 18, 14 12:38 PM
Well I must be the only one who isn't overly impressed with this game - found it quite short really (I did use the map to jump tho' do maybe that's why it I was quicker) - can only say I was glad I only had to pay an se price because that really was all it was worth!

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Dec 18, 14 1:09 PM
Loved your review Sunnyglow. They are always fun to read. I played the demo and agree it was spooky - music, atmosphere, etc. I'll probably buy over the weekend - hoping for a nice Christmas special price.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Dec 18, 14 2:29 PM
Based on Demo:

This promises to be a great SE (and a definite buy for me) with the usual 5-star standard of Elephant games. Though yesterday's code [Elephant] still works, CEs just aren't my thing [though I did make an exception for Christmas Stories 3]. In this one, the collectibles felt a bit disappointing, as in, zero challenge to find......or so I felt.

Sharp, well-detailed graphics, colours to suit the spooky atmosphere and add to that 'avenging' theme in each scene. I mute all sound, so, I don't know about music/VOs. Overall, good game play and an interesting story. Easy HOPs and fairly easy/ common puzzles. What I like most about their games is how I feel part of the story no matter how much back-and-forth is involved. Great job, Devs. @ Pachyderm, you'll never disappoint!

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Dec 18, 14 3:46 PM
Sparkles, sparkles everywhere! This is the second game I've stopped playing because the sparkles drive me nuts. I played on Custom mode and unchecked sparkles, and yet there they are Other than that, I found the game to be way too easy, so it will be going the way of all the other Haunted Hotel games I've tried...into the recycle bin.

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Dec 18, 14 3:59 PM
Am I the only one who sees that the story used for this game is
almost identical to the book by
Agatha Christie; "And then there were none"; even featuring the avenging judge and the various characters who had not been meted their appropriate sentences...

Is there a reference at the end of the game?

Edited on 12/18/2014 at 3:59:43 PM PST

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Dec 18, 14 5:31 PM
Radgame wrote:Based on Demo:

This promises to be a great SE (and a definite buy for me) with the usual 5-star standard of Elephant games. Though yesterday's code [Elephant] still works, CEs just aren't my thing [though I did make an exception for Christmas Stories 3]. In this one, the collectibles felt a bit disappointing, as in, zero challenge to find......or so I felt.

Sharp, well-detailed graphics, colours to suit the spooky atmosphere and add to that 'avenging' theme in each scene. I mute all sound, so, I don't know about music/VOs. Overall, good game play and an interesting story. Easy HOPs and fairly easy/ common puzzles. What I like most about their games is how I feel part of the story no matter how much back-and-forth is involved. Great job, Devs. @ Pachyderm, you'll never disappoint!

Well dang! I don't purchase the CE's because I can't afford them but I was hoping the code (ELEPHANT) would work for me. Thought I'd give myself an early present. Unfortunately....it didn't. But even based on the reviews without yet even trying it out, I'm pretty sure I'll be one of the first in line for the SE!! Thanks everyone for your excellent reviews! I really appreciate you! : )

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Dec 19, 14 12:23 AM
A well constructed game with an intriguing story. Too bad there is so much hand holding in the black bar info. Rather takes the A out of HOPA.

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Dec 21, 14 9:45 AM
I purchased it yesterday, hoping to get it at the price of a SE (as in previous posts) but I did get charged for a CE.

Too bad....did not get moneys worth as it is a very short game and the bonus game much shorter than bonus play in other games.

The game is dark, but was enjoyable. If I could go past in time, I would definitely not purchase this as a CE, and would wait for the SE

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Dec 22, 14 8:32 PM
Enjoyed the game,
and it ran with no glitches ~ Woot Woot!
The only things that bothered me were:
1) The Brevity
2) The Alternate Ending
=^,,^=
the kat
gma0trips

nyknight55
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by nyknight55 on Dec 23, 14 11:07 AM
Simply put this is a great fun game yes its over kind of quick I had blast if you so have the desire you can pick apart just like any game for me this a great game

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Dec 25, 14 5:54 PM
It's all blue.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 26, 14 2:22 PM
Well, I would say that the reviews for this game are kind of split down the middle! Half for and half a "no go". I personally like the game very much and I hate to admit, but a few of the games really got me frustrated. Overall, I thought the graphics beautiful (didn't mind the colors), the music was a little over-played but not overly annoying, the storyline, while not original, was still interesting, the diversity of the HOS was nice and there was quite a few "extras" that would certainly be worth the price of a CE. I didn"t pay anything as i had two game credits, but I would have paid the asking price! My only criticism is the Alternate ending - why bother?! And that's all I'm saying about that.
Everyone enjoy the Holidays, which ever you celebrate and BE SAFE!!!

feenix

Go to: