Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 19, 14 12:46 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/19/2014 at 6:04:01 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove here.

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Dec 19, 14 6:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove here.

[Post New]by mhgbear on Dec 19, 14 8:31 AM
This is a great game, although some of the puzzles required me to keep asking for hints or go through the strategy guide. I'm curious as to why BFG Studios is no longer producing the MCF games. Not that I have anything against Elephant Games. And why was it decided to have players choose a gender for the detective? I am a man and I chose the male detective this time around, but I had no issues with being a female detective in the previous games. I guess I'd just like to know what thought processes are at work here. Thanks!

hollyodie
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by hollyodie on Dec 19, 14 9:45 AM
Liking it so far but is anyone but me wondering how so many zipper pulls get lost

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Dec 20, 14 10:41 PM
I enjoyed the game as an SE but can't understand why the detective's questions have to be clicked on when they're going to be asked anyway, usually this is done when there are different outcomes to a scenario. Seems like double handling, only serving to make the game seem longer and it really didn't seem like a very long game to me.

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Dec 22, 14 3:16 PM
If you love "busy work", game play that is mostly mouse driven, and using the map for the majority of your further moves, you'll love this game. And because its a long game you'll be doing PLENTY of all the above. For me it all added up to "boring".

I gave it a star for the visuals. Crisp and detailed. Another for the super puzzles. They were not as intuitive as those I've played in prior MCF games, but they WERE fun. You have the option of playing as "male" or "female" which really made no difference to the tasks you had to complete or the way you completed them. LOTS of "talking". You'd have a list of questions to ask someone but it made no matter which you'd choose to ask. You had to ask them all before moving on. Nothing that actually affects the outcome beyond adding to the length of the game. Several of the cut scenes just showed the back of someone because you were walking behind them! How does that add to the story?

All the regular puzzles and HOS were nothing you haven't played or seen before. You'll also have to do a lot of what I call "take and put". TAKE a shape from here and PUT it there...and "walk" a long way to do so. Thank goodness for the jumpable map.

Flashlights without batteries, backpacks without zipper pulls, hooks without ropes, hooks without handles, knives without handles, drills without drill bits, etc., etc., etc. People and animals in "dire" situations that just have to wait until you finish the busy work. The same thing you've seen time and time again.

I own the CE version of this game. I played it once and will never play it again. If, like me, you expect this to be "MCF" special, you will be disappointed. Even the CE and its extras couldn't lift this offering above the crowd. If you'd like to play a GOOD game, I'd suggest "Graven: Purple Moon Prophecy". You'll find it has the extras of a CE for the price of a SE. AND...its FUN!

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Dec 24, 14 8:22 AM
What a great game! The graphics are first rate as is the story line. This is, without doubt, one of the best games I've played all year.
One down note is that I found the games confusing and tiresome but that wouldn't stop me giving the game five stars.

Many thanks,

Gerry

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on Dec 27, 14 11:44 AM
Really not sure how I would rate this game... Pluses and cons...

I am an advanced player and always like games with no hints and no skips so I get the most of my buck. However.... there were many times that I would come across an inventory item and I knew somewhere in the game I had seen it a lot earlier. I looked on the map and there were 23 different open places to look!!! 23!!!!!! Unless I changed my difficulty, I had to go into each of the 23 to find an obscure item that this one inventory item fit into. So tedious.

Not many HOS and those were all too easy.

Storyline was boring. Same old type of someone seems to have revenge. Nothing exciting at all.

I really like mini games where there were those in this game like Madam Fate that are very complicated, but at least Madam Fate had rational to it. These were so random that I had to change difficulty to easy to get puzzle hint. At least in Madam Fate the puzzles were somehow connected. SPOILER: One game had you look at flags and click on feathers in that order, oh, wait, click on the feather colors TWICE before going to the next color! Really? Who would have thought? It just seemed too random....

No creepiness in this game. Been playing these games for so many years. In my opinion, games should be very, very creepy or very funny. Why can't developers come up with something funny, i.e. Leisure Suit Larry or something without the sex, but just funny.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Jan 3, 15 9:00 AM
I thought this was an excellent game. The graphics were nicely detailed and colorful. Yes, the storyline may have been done before, but it was still good.

It took me many hours to complete so I feel I really got my money's worth. The interactive map not only let me jump to a scene, but also showed me where an action could be completed if I needed help.

There was one really big disappointment. Once you accessed a mini game, it was broken up into about five mini puzzles. This seemed really great to me UNTIL I found out that you can't just skip one of the puzzles. Using the skip button skips all of the puzzles. You can get a hint to help you with a puzzle, but these were quite generic and most of the time didn't help you at all. There is a reset button. However this button resets you to the very beginning. So if you made it through four of the puzzles and were stuck in the fifth puzzle, clicking on the reset button would reset you to the very first puzzle. Way too frustrating because I really wanted to play these mini games but ended up skipping the majority of them.

Would still recommend this game, though, as I really had fun playing it!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jan 3, 15 10:22 AM
Great game but the puzzles sure did make you think and I had to do them over a few times to finally get them, I dare say this game is quite different from the first but still as exciting to play.
I give this game grande marks...a high 4+ out of five. If the puzzles didn't get me I would have graded higher.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 4, 15 8:39 AM
Love these Dire Grove games....certainly not easy pesy, but excellent stories and gameplay. I remember struggling through the first Dire Grove and wasn't sure I wanted to try this one, but glad I did. Loved it. But like both Dire Grove and Ravenhurst, this one had those mini games/puzzles that are a real challenge but I just skipped those. Graphics, animations, sound just everything was excellent and I highly recommend for challenging and enjoyable gameplay.

Game provides custom settings to make your journey harder or easier. Not sure why one needed to chose a "gender" to play..I thought that was odd, but I am seeing it more and more in more recent games.

Transporter map is fantastic and definitely needed, although the hint is a transporter too. The only thing I found annoying was the need for the question/answer dialog between the detective and the character. A good blend of HOS and puzzles.

I played the SE version, but I never use the strategy guides and walk-throughs anyway and with a little thought and the use of the hint you can get through this game without them.

A definite 5 out of 5 for me.

Edited on 01/04/2015 at 8:46:06 AM PST

[Post New]by clydevalley on Mar 8, 15 11:22 AM
This was a brilliant Game loved it!

[Post New]by anniebee1141 on Mar 28, 15 7:57 AM
All Big Fish games I have played have been super excellent, but sadly, this did not come up to scratch. Way too much dialogue, story line was rather 'scattered', the puzzles were great, but a two of them did not interact properly - even though I had made it to the next step. Those two virtually 'froze' on me, but allowed me to skip the puzzle ?? - I had no other choice !

The hint and travel to next location was very helpful. Some of the objects to find were very easy, and not enough hidden object scenes - although those that were presented, were good.

Cannot give this a big wrap - but it's the only game on Big Fish that I have to give this not so good critique to. ... 3 out of 5 for this one.

Sorry about that, but that's the way I thought about it ... all rather disappointing, although to be fair, it did have some fun and enjoyable parts

Edited on 03/28/2015 at 8:07:13 AM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 20, 15 8:36 PM
I think Mystery Case Files games were some of the very first games of this type that I ever played, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them. so when a new one comes out, I have to try it. So I did and I am not disappointed, except for one fact. Now I probably will in all probability (!!) buy this game, but as I have only played the demo at this point, I ended up skipping some very fascinating mini-games, as they required a bit of thought, and I didn't want to use up all my time, as I wanted to see what other parts of the game looked like. I suppose I will end up buying the game, using another profile, etc. Loved what I have seen so far, great map, nice voice overs, terrific graphics as usual and all in all, I would highly recommend it.

feenix

Kassy9
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Kassy9 on Oct 15, 15 7:44 AM
I have purchased all of the Mystery File games and I think this is the poorest of the lot. I found it very boring. A big disappointment

Go to: