bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer - Released on April 26, 2009

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 25, 09 11:00 PM
New Treasure Chest: Felix's Favorites Game!

Help rookie FBI Agent Jennifer Lourdes, and veteran detective Alan Michaels catch the infamous Unicorn Killer! Track down the murderer, Ira Einhorn, as you bring him to justice in this exciting Hidden Object game. Travel all around the globe and explore important crime scenes. Based on a true story, Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer, takes you on the long-running chase and extradition of this dangerous criminal!

ejluvs24
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer - Released on April 26, 2009

[Post New]by ejluvs24 on Apr 26, 09 7:35 AM
I love HO games, but will not do this one. This game is too close to home for me. My aunt was a neighbor of Ira Einhorn and as far as I am concerned this should not be something to play games about. Sorry BF this is a huge disappointment.
EJ

teri49
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by teri49 on Apr 26, 09 8:38 AM
I also believe it is in poor taste. I wondered if anyone else would find it bothersome. Next will there be a game of Son of Sam, John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy? Really tacky. There are family and friends that knew these people. This is not close to me but I just generally think it is in poor taste.

paribanou
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by paribanou on Apr 26, 09 12:44 PM
I agree, The death of Holly Maddux was no joke. Next we shall see a game named Natalie, or better yet some creep will start selling a game of Craigslist Killer before he even goes to court. These are sick people,
I will think twice before I recommend BF to my friends and I think this game should be removed.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Apr 26, 09 1:33 PM
I don't get it. I don't want to step on any toes and have not looked at the game yet. But, I do know there are lots of shows not for me on T.V. and that I do not find appropriate but I don't watch them. Some people love these same shows. I just think there should be some freedom of choice here. I can't imagine BF putting out anything that would not gravitate towards some of their customers.

just an opinion.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 1:57 PM
I bought it, and I appreciate having the CHOICE to buy it. I couldn't count the number of games here that are not for me. I don't play them and move on. You know, like a grown-up? What's next in here? A virtual lynch mob to string up Bill Kurtis for producing all the true crime shows on A & E channel?

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Apr 26, 09 2:36 PM
I'm sure there are some people who dont like the use of Killers as a game, but lets get real here people. Its a game, like any other. Forget the name and play the game. Next there will be a ban on the fishdom game because it is fish. Lighten up, play and relax. Its enough stress out there, lets not bring it in here.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Apr 26, 09 3:31 PM
kishimojun wrote:I bought it, and I appreciate having the CHOICE to buy it. I couldn't count the number of games here that are not for me. I don't play them and move on. You know, like a grown-up? What's next in here? A virtual lynch mob to string up Bill Kurtis for producing all the true crime shows on A & E channel?

The Dangerous High School Girls game comes to mind. Outstanding and award winning, yet pulled from BF. BF says they didn't know the game had sexual references and violence when it was released, even though all games are tested and the game was a huge hit and very talked about (hence: award winning). Whoever tested and approved that game should have been fired, I guess. Sadly, I still believe (like many) that it was indeed pulled because of complaints.

As adults, we can make our own decisions. While I have no interest in the Unicorn game, obviously there is a market for true crime games out there. Just like there is for solving homicides (i.e. CSI, James Patterson, Agatha Christie) and the occult (i.e. Dracula 3, Dracula Origin, Redrum, Ravenhearst).

p.s. I LOVE BF, but really got rubbed the wrong way with the Dangerous High School Girls issue. Every time I see 'remove this game' comments, it takes me back.

Karmadona
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Karmadona on Apr 26, 09 3:52 PM
What the heck were these game developers thinking????? I am not one for censorship, but I think it was extremely insensitive and in poor taste to use the names of real people involved in a fairly recent, real, and horrific murder for the basis of a game. The developers should have never have referenced this crime in any manner .
After all, there was a huge controversy over that High School Girls game (whatever the title was) , which featured a fictional rape, and the game was pulled. How in holy hell can they justify using a real murder as the basis for entertainment?

Karmadona
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Karmadona on Apr 26, 09 6:40 PM
Addition to above comment: I too agree that adults should have a choice. But my point is that out of deference to the friends and family members of Einhorn's victim, couldn't they have chosen a fictitional scenario/character name ? At the least, very poor judgment on BF's part.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 6:47 PM
That's your opinion and your welcome to it. Don't infringe on my liberties and I won't infringe on yours.

ejluvs24
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by ejluvs24 on Apr 26, 09 7:54 PM
I don't care if others want to purchase or play this game. That is one good thing about this site, we do have choices. I just would not purchase/play this since I knew those who were involved.

[Post New]by kahluachip17 on Apr 26, 09 8:21 PM
ok, I don't usually do this as I generally lurk the forums and rarely post, especially about controversial topics but I would just like to offer up a thought on this one...

Disclaimer: This is just a thought, I have not played the game, heard of the actual murder cases, or in anyway have had exposure to this topic except through this forum. I am not for or against this game. I am also not for or against anyone who has an opinion about this game or whether is should or should not be on this website.

I am a performing artist. The arts are often used to explore risque topics, draw attention to an issue or just to make people think. There have been many instances in history that have found themselves "replayed" in books, movies, paintings or theatrical productions. As someone who has been involved in numerous "controversial" productions (for many different reasons) I can tell you that getting someone to think and/or talk about the topic addressed is always the main goal. Perhaps you don't agree that a real crime should be the basis for a game. Is it also unacceptable for a real crime to be the basis for a movie? Both games and movies were created to entertain and are generally regarded by the public as entertainment. Both are capable of education and it is possible to educate and entertain at the same time. That being said, I would also like to use my own experience as an example. As I stated at the beginning of this post, I had never heard of this crime before. Because it is a game, and because it is controversial, I now know about it and have been given the opportunity to research the event and educate myself about it. Had this game never been created I would not have been given the opportunity to familiarize myself with the event. This allows the victims (those who were killed as well as their friends and family) to have a voice and tell their story.

As I stated above, I do not mean to offend anyone or to anger anyone. I just wanted to point out that perhaps what some have perceived as all bad could have a positive angle to it. Thank you and I truly hope that those who are angry and upset can find some peace in the knowledge that this controversy has brought to my attention all the lives who where lost, may they rest in peace.

kahluachip17

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 8:22:31 PM PST

[Post New]by gatorlily on Apr 26, 09 10:47 PM
I can't imagine being Holly's mother and finding out that people are playing a game based on her murder. This is disgusting. Fictional crimes are one thing, actual murders are another thing completely. It's bad enough this creep was free for 16 years but now to make Holly's death into an amusement? What does that say about us as a society that a young woman's death is entertaining?

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 10:57 PM
Her parents don't have to worry about this game, they are both gone as noted in the game's summary. And he was on the loose 24 years, not 16. And this game says the same thing that the proliferation of true crime books and TV shows and fictionalized entertainment based on murder says about us--our tastes haven't changed much since the Roman Empire.

[Post New]by gatorlily on Apr 27, 09 12:22 PM
Holly Maddux has 4 siblings who are still alive, 3 sisters and a brother. Again, imagine your sister is horribly murdered, stuffed in a trunk until mummified, her killer is free for years and years and years and is finally brought to justice. Now they make a game to ENTERTAIN people based on all this. Holly's family was devastated by this tragedy and the freedom of the murderer. How can you be entertained by that?

tazmann423
Flounder
Flounder
2,113 Posts

[Post New]by tazmann423 on Apr 27, 09 12:50 PM
Enough is enough. This game and it is only a game has caused a big turmoil in fact there was almost a riot on one thread about it. Please let go and move on. If this game offends you don't play it and move on!! There are plenty of other games on this site choose one of them. As others have stated there is a freedom of choice and opinions, but this is getting way out of context. If any of the family members objected the game wouldn't be here. This game has made many aware of what happened that didn't know about it before. Information is a powerful thing. Again please move on and let this topic about the game die.

Go to: