TGT Trial of the Gods

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

TGT Trial of the Gods

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 26, 09 12:56 AM
Nice Match 3! There are several ways to play. I am playing untimed but i still seem to have a timer and the board ends before I am done. I don't get it but that's OK. Relaxing game with good graphics and music. Help Theseus rescue Ariadne from the Minotaur.

It had jigsaws which you solve by playing the match 3 until the puzzle pieces fall down to the game board and complete the puzzle.

You can also play Ariadne's Loom, another match 3. In this one you need to get the thread to the bottom to weave a tapestry.

A bonus is the ability to print out a game complete with game board and dice! Nice feature that i have not seen before.

This is a FF so it may be what you need to complete the Promo!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:TGT Trial of the Gods

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 26, 09 1:04 AM
I beta tested this one twice and don't remember having problems with running out of time when I played untimed mode. I'll try again later and report back. My memories of it were that it was reasonably enjoyable but didn't wow me. Since it's FF I might buy it.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 26, 09 1:18 AM
Ok I played the first level of the adventure game to refresh my memory.

In timed mode you race the clock to get as many pearls as possible.

In untimed mode you have a limited number of MOVES. It's untimed, but the instructions don't explain things well. I could have sworn that I complained about that when I filled out the beta test survey. I didn't realize that's what was happening until I did fill out the survey, because the survey asked if the limiting of the number of moves in untimed mode made sense as a game mechanic (or something like that - it was weeks ago).

There's also the weaving puzzle, which is untimed mode only. And an option that I'll not be taking advantage of, for printing out a board game, after you complete adventure mode.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 26, 09 1:34 AM
Getting a late start on this as still doing some stuff in WoW, but plan on downloading in a moment. Hoping it's worth a buy as very near my key chain, but since I don't really use keys not sure why that matters...

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 1:50:10 AM PST

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Apr 26, 09 1:43 AM
Thank you lord - will give it a go - sounds odd only having a limited amount of moves but perhaps it makes the untimed thing more fun!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Apr 26, 09 2:00 AM
i don't care that much for this game and i do like match 3 games. it's cute. just not one i would get.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Apr 26, 09 2:37 AM
Just downloading, all behind this morning
Need one more for my keyring, I have quite a collection, but will probably use this one.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Apr 26, 09 3:06 AM
Nice Match 3! There are several ways to play. I am playing untimed but i still seem to have a timer and the board ends before I am done. I don't get it but that's OK.

Yeah, I beta tested this one a while back, and that was one of things I mentioned in my feedback. It was a little too confusing as to what the difference between the modes was. But I think, in the non-timed one, that "timer" is actually an indication of pearls you need to collect or something.

It's an okay game, but I found the tutorial information given to be a little too confusing at times =/

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 26, 09 3:47 AM
Pleasantly surprised here yet again. This interesting and unique Match 3 puts a mythelogical spin (get it? Ariadne weave? spin? no? ) on some unique gameplay. Pretty graphics and humorous take on the myths start it off with a positve buzz.

There is Timed and Untimed modes but... for this game the Untimed does not mean endless play. In Untimed Adventure Mode, while it's true you do not race a clock, you have to remove the first pearl from the board in a limited number of moves. One of my complaints is although there is a bar which shows progession of how many moves you've taken and how much is left, there is not a counter and this is not explained in instructions at all. But after some observation I realized you must remove the first pearl before the bar fills. When you do the bar goes from red to gold and the text changes from "Move the Pearl Down the Board" to "Extra Moves for More Pearls". The number of pearls is limited though as I've had the level finish when there was still room on the bar. This make sense as every pearl moves you one step on the map. If you could get all in one go, that would be the game. I like this sort of untimed mode as it's challenging, but you have time to strategize your moves without the stress of a timer.

There's the usual power-ups that come with Matches over 3 tiles - remove all tiles horizontally, all tiles vertically, all diagonally from the special tile and remove all one color. Beyond the power-ups there are different "adventure" type challenges that require special matches, but I don't want to spoil that.

Besides the Timed and Untimed Adventures there is also a completely untimed side game where you weave tapestries by dropping bolts of yarn rather than pearls. There is no limit to moves here. Honestly I found it a bit boring, but it's not a part of the main game. Included as well is the ability to print a very simple 2 person race game that has 3 different map boards. Kind of a cute novelty and certainly original, but I'm thinkin' unless you have kids this bit isn't worth the bother.

So, I think this is a fine addition to Felix's Faves and I can give it Poodlebear Approval and:

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Apr 26, 09 3:58 AM
A pleasant enough game, but no WOW factor. Dropping spools of thread to weave a picture is an interesting variation and the power-ups are quite good. Not necessarily one I would buy, though.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 26, 09 4:13 AM
I like it well enough. Thanks Poodle for the good review!

What had me stumped was that there were still pearls falling and still tiles that needed to turn when the bar filled up and a message "Level Complete!" popped up. That was confusing because there were still things left to do. My only complaint so far would be that in untimed mode you should be able to complete the board. It would have been better to just limit the number of pearls on each board so that when it is "Completed" there is nothing left to do.

Nice time passer. The little adventure bits were cute. I wonder if this game will get harder as I go along?

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 26, 09 5:09 AM
bribling wrote: I wonder if this game will get harder as I go along?

It has for me. Not hugely so, still enjoying it and have yet to fail a level, but the challenges do ratchet up. For example in one Adventure bit you had to match swords and they went from 3 or 4 to now 5. There's also solid bricks to break before the pearl opens and allows you to move it. So yep, gonna get tougher along the way.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 26, 09 9:24 AM
I'm interested to know how many levels there are for each playthrough on timed/untimed/Ariadne---does anyone have any idea as yet?

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Apr 26, 09 11:11 AM
I Beta Tested this game also, like lord says it has a untimed mode.
BUT
Like Poodle says you have to get the first PEARL DONE right away.

I really enjoyed the game, and I made a few suggestions also......

I have NOT played he demo yet to see what changes where made.

I enjoyed the music and the games is very interesting to me.
I LOVE UNWELL MEL THE BESTEST!!

I am going to demo sometime today.
Happy Gaming
PEN

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 11:12:17 AM PST

ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Apr 26, 09 1:55 PM
Thank you Poodle and Lord! I always love y'alls reviews! If you give thumbs up then I will normally buy the game! This one looks like a good one for a relaxing Sunday afternoon!

coco1953
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,580 Posts

[Post New]by coco1953 on Apr 26, 09 3:39 PM
It's a cute game but just not enough entertainment for me to buy it.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 26, 09 5:54 PM
This is rather a nice Match-3, in the sense that it has a slightly different matching method (remove pieces from under the pearl that has to drop out), and it has some
interesting other game play for a change-off.

The story is interesting enough (it is actually taken from Greek mythology), and there is enough variety in the game play to keep me interested.

The aspect that takes time to get used to is that the "untimed" version allows you all the time you want, but limits your number of moves. So you might be told you are "done" with a level when you are still trying to finish a screen. I'm not overly fond of that, but I can live with it better than I can live with a timer. Unfortunately, the tutorial does not exactly emplain how that works. Still, the "penalty" for running out of moves is either a lower score of having to go back o few levels, depending on which sub-level you miss. Not like "losing."

All in all, not a bad deal for any Match-3 fan who needs another Felix's Favorite.

SSmitty
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,250 Posts

[Post New]by SSmitty on Apr 26, 09 6:00 PM
Howatch wrote:I'm interested to know how many levels there are for each playthrough on timed/untimed/Ariadne---does anyone have any idea as yet?

There were 40 boards in the first part where you are on the sea, once you get to the land I'm not sure how many more. I have played probably 15 so far and still going. This is in the untimed mode of adventure.
50 boards on the Island of Zeus, and now in the underworld of Hades.

51 boards in the underworld. I finished!
HTH.

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 12:03:37 PM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 26, 09 6:06 PM
This game gets better and better (and harder). I had thought that the first map you see would be it once uncovered and that would have been a bit short BUT once you finish that map and move on shore you get a whole new one. I suspect, because there are 3 maps in the printable game, that there will be a 3rd of the Underworld which will make this a very long game. Combine that with the fact that the random nature of Match 3s means they have built-n replayability makes for great value if duration is important to you.

It does indeed get harder. I have now had 2 "failures" because I did not complete the goal before my moves ran out. You can just replay the level, though, and I was successful the 2nd go both times.

A tip: First priority - get that first pearl down! Then focus on clearing tiles to fuel the blaster power-up because you'll need them later in tougher levels. Additional pearls just move you faster along the map. One bothersome thing tho, you lose your saved blaster power-ups when you change maps, but the new ones are more powerful so *shrug*.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 26, 09 6:22 PM
SSmitty wrote:
Howatch wrote:I'm interested to know how many levels there are for each playthrough on timed/untimed/Ariadne---does anyone have any idea as yet?

There were 40 boards in the first part where you are on the sea, once you get to the land I'm not sure how many more. I have played probably 15 so far and still going. This is in the untimed mode of adventure.
HTH.

Thank you so much; it does indeed help. The duration was the last deciding factor for me as to whether to purchase it or not. I love match-3's, so now I will purchase it.

And thank you for the additional info, Poodlebear. This game kind of reminds me a little of the 7 Wonders games in terms of some of the play mechanics. I did manage to win all the levels on the first two 7 Wonders games, so perhaps I have a chance at playing Trial of the Gods and not getting hopelessly stuck at some point (but even if I do, I can keep trying. I can be both patient and persistent when it comes to these games).

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 6:23:27 PM PST

Go to: