paribanou
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

The Unicorn KIller Game

[Post New]by paribanou on Apr 26, 09 12:40 PM
It is out of the realm of understanding how anyone could make a game celebrating t he death of Holly Maddux. Have we come to this level that we make an entertainment of a human death at the hands of this maniac Ira Einhorn .
What next a game of Natalie or another unfortunate young woman or man. ?

Let's get one going before the Craigs List murderter goes to court....we could make a lot of money... S I C K P E O P L E
Pretend war games are violent enough, This game should not be sold or put on the market. If you have any respect for human life please reconsider playing or purchasing this game.

bitojoy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,788 Posts

Re:The Unicorn KIller Game

[Post New]by bitojoy on Apr 26, 09 7:50 PM
I haven't demo`d the game ...yet ...
but isn't having a game about this the same as someone writing a book about ...mmm say Ted Bundy ???
A game of "finding Bundy and bringing him to justice" isn't much further away from reading a book that tells in the gory details what and how he did everything ... like I said ..I haven't played the game (yet) and if I do ..it won't be to "celebrate" the victims death but it most certainly will make me want justice for her *and* will remind me of her LIFE !

Then again ~ not playing the game ~ I don't know *how* this is represented ..same as if I purchase a book I haven't read before about any true crime.. I would NEVER celebrate a victims demise ~ but I WOULD celebrate as much justice as can be had by the family ...and I haven't researched this to know if the family is getting any funds donated from the game .........I do know that I am not the *only* person who *had* life insurance that (because of the way the economy went) no longer have any ...company went BK so that left all who owned their policy out of luck - perhaps same happened to victim and family is getting funds to help with expenses............?

Just a thought and PLZ .. I haven't played it yet - wouldn't have realized "the Unicorn Killer" was the craigslist killer .. I only watch weather as a rule

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Apr 26, 09 8:13 PM
bitojoy, yes the game discusses the murder. No there is no bloody murder scene with a dead body in it. One of the FBI agents expresses admiration for the intellect and skill of the guy BUT does not express admiration for him. The whole thing, as far as I can tell, takes place betweent the time he was granted bail and the time he was extradited to the US for a second trial. It is no different than reading a book or watching a movie or TV show. In a way the game is better because in those they'll often depict the murder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even I can appreciate the way the guy planned it and carried it out but at the same time be against the crime itself. I wasn't alive when this happened and maybe that alters the way it affects me. I did buy this (didn't finish it during the demo) because of everyone saying its bad. Hubby (who was alive but a kid at the time) played it with me and he didn't see anything really wrong with it either. In fact he couldn't understand what the problem was. Compared it to MCF, can anyone say Ravenhearst? He understands the difference between the games but MCF has slightly more graphic scenes where as this one has none that I saw. I had to wiki it just to find out what everyone was in an uproar about! Wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for the pond.

My opinion, if you disagree please do so nicely.

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 8:14:30 PM PST

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 8:16 PM
I agree with you and your husband 1_of 5. Einhorn is NEVER glorified in the game and the summary at the end of the game very vividly shows how much of a tragedy Ms. Maddux's murder was. The whole thing was respectful to her memory.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Apr 26, 09 8:21 PM
I was a couple poleriods away from the cell when it cut off on me. So I didn't know how it ended, I guessed based on the rest of the game. But seriously we had Charles pictured holding an ax on Emma. Corpses of nothing but bone at the end of Ravenhearst, more in RTR. Those showed more violence or implied violence than I saw in this game.

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 8:21:39 PM PST

[Post New]by kahluachip17 on Apr 26, 09 8:26 PM
I posted this in the other thread about this game but i believe it could be helpful here as well...

ok, I don't usually do this as I generally lurk the forums and rarely post, especially about controversial topics but I would just like to offer up a thought on this one...

Disclaimer: This is just a thought, I have not played the game, heard of the actual murder cases, or in anyway have had exposure to this topic except through this forum. I am not for or against this game. I am also not for or against anyone who has an opinion about this game or whether is should or should not be on this website.

I am a performing artist. The arts are often used to explore risque topics, draw attention to an issue or just to make people think. There have been many instances in history that have found themselves "replayed" in books, movies, paintings or theatrical productions. As someone who has been involved in numerous "controversial" productions (for many different reasons) I can tell you that getting someone to think and/or talk about the topic addressed is always the main goal. Perhaps you don't agree that a real crime should be the basis for a game. Is it also unacceptable for a real crime to be the basis for a movie? Both games and movies were created to entertain and are generally regarded by the public as entertainment. Both are capable of education and it is possible to educate and entertain at the same time. That being said, I would also like to use my own experience as an example. As I stated at the beginning of this post, I had never heard of this crime before. Because it is a game, and because it is controversial, I now know about it and have been given the opportunity to research the event and educate myself about it. Had this game never been created I would not have been given the opportunity to familiarize myself with the event. This allows the victims (those who were killed as well as their friends and family) to have a voice and tell their story.

As I stated above, I do not mean to offend anyone or to anger anyone. I just wanted to point out that perhaps what some have perceived as all bad could have a positive angle to it. Thank you and I truly hope that those who are angry and upset can find some peace in the knowledge that this controversy has brought to my attention all the lives who where lost, may they rest in peace.

kahluachip17

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 8:27 PM
There was no violent imagery, 1_of 5, and I'm sorry if my post implied that. The vividness was in the powerful written words they used to describe the effects her murder and his eluding justice for decades had on those who loved her.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Apr 26, 09 8:30 PM
Wasn't suggesting your post implied anything. Just a comparison. Everyone's getting so worked up over this game when there's no actual or implied violence when they didn't get worked up over actual or implied violence in other games. Except that one game Dangerous Hish School girls that got pulled for whatever reason. I realize this is based on truth and those were fiction but still...

Edited on 04/26/2009 at 8:30:50 PM PST

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Apr 26, 09 9:20 PM
And I believe this is the 5th thread on the same subject
Please check to see if yu subject has been addressed...then bump the thread

[Post New]by hotsaucegoss on Apr 26, 09 9:45 PM
If we're talking about just the gameplay here, it was way too short . . . played the demo and ended up finishing the game. Some things are hard to find, but they are generous with the hints.

On the flip side, regarding the storyline . . . . I may have been very naive, but I had never heard of the Unicorn Killer, so when I played part of the game it made me look up more information. It made me interested in the story and therefore, had reverence for Holly. I truly believe it is how we look at things that determine good vs. bad. Some people may look at this as an exploitation, while other people might look at it as education and an unfortunate piece of history that we might be able to learn from.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Apr 26, 09 9:53 PM

bitojoy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,788 Posts

[Post New]by bitojoy on Apr 26, 09 10:47 PM
After doing a wee bit of internet "whois Unicorn ..." blah blah blah I now remember who this killer and victim is ! I TRUELY hope some of the funds go to the family of Holly and I stand by my statement that having a game about a crime is no worse than reading a book of same or other criminals of this nature.
When Ted Bundy was on trial the judge actually stated it was a shame Bundy took that path (of serial killer) as he was a brillant young man who would have had a great career in law! True ~ he was at least a paralegal who had started law school ( I don't recall if he finished or not).

paribanaou ~ - I understand the point of why this thread was started and your feelings ! I emphathise with your concerns ~ perhaps someone who *does* play the game can avoid getting in this situation - it is my prayer that NO game encourages agressive behavior !

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 26, 09 10:56 PM
Absolutely everyone has a right to voice their opinion of this game even if I *completely* disagree with those terribly offended by it BUT I feel the growls start deep in my throat when folks begin to say the "It should be pulled" "It should never be offered" "It should not be a favorite". Express your displeasure and support that displeasure by not buying. Do not attempt to take my choice from me. *I* read True Crime books and watch True Crime shows because they fascinate me. I watch different shows about the same cases. I am not doing this to be informed about the case, I find them interesting, even while I am apalled at what people do to each other. "Entertainment" has a very loose definition.

That said, the game is pretty much crap and I'm not buying, nor will many others. It is unlikely that will enter into the same contracts with the developers if it doesn't sell.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Apr 26, 09 10:59 PM
Perhaps the sequels will be longer.

ladycholla
Manatee
Manatee
3,720 Posts

[Post New]by ladycholla on Apr 26, 09 11:01 PM
No matter what the reason for making the game, I just can't bring myself to download it for even the demo.

As many of you know I love murder mystery stories, mostly just the cozy ones, without blood, gore, bad language and sexual scenes. But, the true life stuff I have no desire to watch, read or now do games about. Just my personal opinion and if the rest of you don't mind, that's entirely up to you.

I do hope tho' that no one in the family ever sees it, and I'm the same way about books, hoping the family never reads about it. I can't imagine what the family of Nicole Brown and the Goldman's go through whenever O.J., gets into hot water again and the whole thing is dredged up again. How disgusting, he has no shame.

I hope these types of games are few and far between.

Lady

LaZgram
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by LaZgram on Apr 27, 09 4:40 AM
Was over at GZ and sentiments are similar there. About the game itself being just that a game, was super easy, quick and had oodles of hints left when my 60 was up. Learned the hard way to come to the forums before any purchase. Took me awhile to remember who the guy was and I do hope that the family members of his victim aren't hurting from this game coming out. Do you think the family had to give permission to the makers??

MargieB, You out there?

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Apr 27, 09 8:59 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I’d pop in and let you know that I’ve gone ahead and moved this discussion to the forum that we have set up for Real Crimes: The Unicorn Killer. You can find a list of all our individual game forums by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

windrose53
Flounder
Flounder
2,385 Posts

[Post New]by windrose53 on Apr 27, 09 12:47 PM
ladycholla wrote: I do hope tho' that no one in the family ever sees it, and I'm the same way about books, hoping the family never reads about it. I can't imagine what the family of Nicole Brown and the Goldman's go through whenever O.J., gets into hot water again and the whole thing is dredged up again. How disgusting, he has no shame.

That will probably be next........ The "OJ - If I had done it" game.

tazmann423
Flounder
Flounder
2,113 Posts

[Post New]by tazmann423 on Apr 27, 09 12:54 PM
Enough is enough. This game and it is only a game has caused a big turmoil in fact there was almost a riot on one thread about it. Please let go and move on. If this game offends you don't play it and move on!! There are plenty of other games on this site choose one of them. As others have stated there is a freedom of choice and opinions, but this is getting way out of context. If any of the family members objected the game wouldn't be here. This game has made many aware of what happened that didn't know about it before. Information is a powerful thing. Again please move on and let this topic about the game die.

Go to: