Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

TGT - Mevo and the Grooveriders

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 27, 09 12:27 AM
requires you to use your rhythm and timing

Sorry, fishies, but this in the description of Mevo and the Grooveriders tells me right off this will be nothing but a frustration with my disabled hands so I won't be downloading or reviewing it. I *have*, however, heard good buzz about this from other sources, so may very well be a winner for those of you with better coordination and speed.

Have fun!

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 12:29:36 AM PST

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

Re:TGT - Mevo and the Grooveriders

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 27, 09 12:31 AM
Rythym, co-ordination, speed.... Nope. Not for me.

coco1953
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,580 Posts

[Post New]by coco1953 on Apr 27, 09 12:43 AM
So sorry to hear that Small. I know that you have been waiting for a platform game for so long now. I know that it won't be a game for me as I have no co-ordination.

shuttlegrannyjo
Catfish
Catfish
1,575 Posts

[Post New]by shuttlegrannyjo on Apr 27, 09 1:03 AM
Kinda reminds me of the Guitar Hero games - My son likes those!
I'll have to have him take a look at it when he gets home.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 27, 09 1:20 AM
Nope. Not for me, either.

chimenesryan
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by chimenesryan on Apr 27, 09 1:40 AM
So I can't sleep thought to download TGT and give it a try. First thing, is if you have ever played Donkey Kong Country: Candy's Dance Studio , this game is just like it! You don't even have to have the music on (I don't play with sound) all you have to do is hit either Right mouse button for the right arrow or the Left mouse button for the Left arrow, or under custom controls, you can set them up, as your Mevo's body touches the Left Arrow or the Right Arrow.

I like it so far, I've only played 3 levels so far, it seems pretty easy, I loved Donkey Kong Country: Candy's Dance Studio, loved getting the perfect scores. I can see me using a game credit on this if I should ever have "extra" lol.

(Good news, instead of 8 buttons to mess with, on Mevo you only have two buttons lol!)

Anyways, hopefully some of you skeptics will venture out and demo it, never hurts to try. Cheers from sleepless in texas lol.

(Edit to correct the GBA game name lol)

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 2:13:01 AM PST

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Apr 27, 09 5:20 AM
I love platform games but not sure about this one just looking at it.................however that is irrelevant as it won't play for me!!
I have demoed it before from somewhere else and same happened then. It starts off but as soon as Mevo gets to the first 'star' thing that disappears and then it tells you to press left to pick up the blue note and nothing happens if I do

I have been to Options and made sure it's set for keyboard but that's as far as I can go in the game, the first pick up.

Oh well, didn't really fancy it very much anyway

ETA: Ooops, silly me I thought default was Left & Right cursor keys and it's Left & Right Shift, no wonder it wouldn't work LOL.

Have played the first level and I like it Presumably it gets harder as you go up the levels so that will make it interesting. You definitely need to have the funky music on to play it IMO and I'm off to play again now.

It's nice to have a game that is different from all the TM & HOG, so give it a demo, you never know, you might like it!!

mews

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 5:35:39 AM PST

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Apr 27, 09 6:36 AM
. .
Very nice, good looking Platformer. l was very surprised how funny the game is.
The character runs by itself - you just have to hit the Right or Left button or mouse at the right time.

l agree with you, Chimenes!
l also always turn the music off in games, but here l did not come across the Turn if Off button yet (tried the demo only for 15 min.), but the music just made it super nice.
The graphics are awesome!
Might even buy this one. See how l go with the rest of the demo.
This morning l got stuck at level 3 already. Fast clicking is not my favourite hobby..
l suggest to all fishies: have a look at the demo at least. It is something different.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 27, 09 7:50 AM
I went ahead and DLed it just to have a look. It *is* a very cool game and maybe even 5 years ago I might have been able to play, I do have the funk in my soul after all BUT no more. In my soul, yes, not in my hands. I only got to play abt 10 minutes before I couldn't keep up but loved how if you stick to the beat you really do hit them on time, but fast changes I can't manage.

Will let hubby demo the rest as he may well dig this one and for sure he can do it.

<------ for hubby

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 7:50:42 AM PST

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Apr 27, 09 8:16 AM
Well I bought it! Couldn't resist .
It does get much harder as you go along though and yes I can imagine if your hands ain't what they used to be it would be very difficult.
Mine aren't either but I can manage this. It's just a good job you don't have to play it with your knees!!! I'd be up the creek without a paddle!
I love the little chap and when you get to choose which dance he does etc. I'm in my second childhood here lol (or third or fourth )

mews

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Apr 27, 09 8:40 AM
Tried the demo a bit longer: .. does get harder too quickly.
Mews: l have perfect hands, but still find it quite hard.
Wish there was a option play Super Easy and Easy.

It is very funny though, very nice interaction with the music.

Graphics are gorgeous ........................... but l got hick ups in the second try: some blank/black squares came up and than the colours went grey...........

But all over: it's something realy different with nice twists.
So: .

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 27, 09 12:46 PM
I played the demo and quit with 9 minutes left. I have no problem with my hands; however, it took me almost the entire demo time to get through the 2nd level. I have been able to read music and rhythm since I was very young, and in my opinion, although the music does seem to match up with things you need to hit, this game has very little to do with rhythm. This is a list of what I discovered while playing the demo:
1. The "rhythms" you are to follow for help in knowing when to hit an object change constantly and are also not very steady even when they are supposed to be.
2. It doesn't give you a way of knowing how long a particular beat is supposed to be so counting steady is out of the question.
3. You as the player are not guiding Mevo anywhere. He's going to go where he wants to go, and your job is to hit the right keys in the right places....only.
4. I found the game to be MUCH more of an eye-hand coordination exercise than a real platform game even though it does scroll side to side. You have to match colors with keys and then hit those keys whenever Mevo gets to certain spots which are backwards or forwards arrows. The arrows are always in the same places when you repeat a level. You have to hit them EXACTLY when the game wants you to. I would say "in time", but I found some of them to be very irregular in their timing. The music sort of comes and goes, but the game does not tell you when it is going to change or start a particular beat so it leaves you sort of guessing. Yes, there are clues in how the arrows are placed, but by the time you see them, you've already missed the first beat.

Just my opinion about it being described as a rhythm/platform game when it seems to really be much more about eye-hand coordination than anything else.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 27, 09 1:01 PM
This is a fantastic game, one which I will not be very good at after the first few levels, but still!

Question: Is there a way to delete players that have been created in the profile? I'm not seeing any way to do this.

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Apr 27, 09 3:09 PM
Howatch wrote:This is a fantastic game, one which I will not be very good at after the first few levels, but still!

Question: Is there a way to delete players that have been created in the profile? I'm not seeing any way to do this.

I agree it's a great game and I'm struggling as I get further into the game but we wouldn't want it to be too easy would we??

You can delete players..................When the first game screen opens, main menu, click on change player then click on the x at the side of player you want to delete or just create a new player.

mews

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 27, 09 3:21 PM
Thank you so much, mews; I wasn't understanding what that "x" signified.

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Apr 27, 09 5:40 PM
You're welcome Howatch, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves the game

I can't stop playing it, have just forced myself to stop now, it's 1.40am lol

Goodnight, have fun

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 27, 09 7:36 PM
Goodnight, and I hope you have a pleasant Tuesday. I did buy the game, and am having lots of fun with it---I will try not to stay up until 1:40 a.m.!

[Post New]by MevoGrooverider on Apr 27, 09 10:05 PM
We are pleased to hear that so many of you fishies are already enjoying Mevo and the Grooveriders! As an independent developer, we are very interested in hearing about your play experiences. We know that some folks may think that rhythm might not be their thing, but we’d like to think Mevo and the Grooveriders is a special kind of game with a little something for everyone.

So once you’ve had a chance to give the demo a spin, we’d love to hear your thoughts!

In other exciting news, Red Rocket Games, the makers of Mevo and the Grooveriders, will be hosting a special week-long contest for some limited edition Mevo World t-shirts. It will be fun, and easy-- we promise! More contest information to come at midnight (PST) tonight.

Thanks for sharing!
Mevogrooverider

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 27, 09 10:24 PM
Thank you for being here, MevoGrooverider; I look forward to hearing about the contest.

Edited on 04/27/2009 at 10:24:33 PM PST

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Apr 27, 09 11:08 PM
Gotta love it when the developers post!

Go to: