benchivo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by benchivo on Nov 26, 10 6:05 AM
I've been waiting for a new MCF game and wasn't disappointed. Didn't even wait for a trial just bought. Merry Christmas to me! Haven't finished yet and taking my time savoring every minute because I know it will be another year for the next installment. I love the interaction with live actors and scenery. Can't wait to continue.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 10 6:27 AM
Overall, I do like the game. In the beginning I didn't like it as much. (That's where more of the dialogue interaction is.)

I'm curious though...are they EVER going to return to Ravenhurst to cover that whole lighthouse area? Seemed to be a major push in that direction in the extra level in RTR.

Meh, I keep forgetting we're dealing with kids. "SQUIRREL!!!......"

[Post New]by Georgieflip on Nov 26, 10 6:56 AM
Return to Ravenhurst and Madame Fate were such great games, Big Fish had quite a task to live up to those games. I do like this game and I am enjoying it very much, although those are still my favorites. I had no trouble downloading other that having to download the update. I like the actors, I think they are a riot! I love the scenery, beautiful.

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Nov 26, 10 7:06 AM
I bought this game without trying first trying it or reading reviews. If it has MCF I fiqured I can't go wrong! Played a little yesterday and already love it. Will play again today,can't wait. I'm feel like a kid at Christmas. Happy Gaming all.

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Nov 26, 10 7:16 AM
Well, I for one absolutely loved this game. I love all the MCF games and all for different reasons. I like that they're all different and get better with each new release. I don't want a clone of RTR or DG or any of the others. I want something different every time.

Great graphics, cool story, nice southern atmosphere, good soundtrack.

I can see how some people would not like the hand holding, but even tho it bothered me at first, I noticed that as the game progresses, it doesn't really tell you what to do, it just tells you where to go. I also understand why you can't pick up each object that you see. The game is huge and after a while you can wander around all over the place and if you start picking up everything you might need later on, you'll end up with an inventory a mile long or simply running out of room.

I liked the live actors once I got used to them. The only ones I didn't care too much for were the mother and the maid at the beginning of the game. All the others were pretty cool and I thought the acting was more than adequate.

The puzzles varied in difficulty for me, but I managed to get through all of them without skipping. A couple of them were really annoying, like the one where you have to cut the flowery weeds, but once I figured out the trick to it it was easy.

**** scenes are my only real complaint. I don't like it when you go back into a scene and some objects you have to find are the same as when you were last in there. That and many of them were like junk-pile on steroids. I mean, there was so much stuff in once scene, it almost made me cross-eyed.

The bonus area is not huge, but I thought it was definitely worth the extra money. The final puzzle had me stumped for a while until I had a "DOH!" moment and figured it out in no time.

I took me about 10 hours to finish and I wasn't bored for one minute. Can't wait for the next MCF! Well done on this one, as in all the others in the series.

Campinrat
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Campinrat on Nov 26, 10 7:16 AM
I like the new look and feel, but I truly miss the "fictional" interaction rather than with real people. Only problem I have encountered is in trying to solve the puzzle with the .4 dates in the Graveyard..you cannot skip it and I have "no 1749" in the numerical database..even printed it out to see if I could find it and it just is not there...can anyone help with this one???
Love these MCF ,have all of them and I think they just keep getting better.

Campinrat
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Campinrat on Nov 26, 10 7:32 AM
After Reading other posts I too must say my all time favorite was RTR, my least was the original Ravenhearst, second was Madame Fate...not because of the simple search scenes, but I did enjoy the puzzles in that one. I also do not like the hand walk and being told I could not leave, When are we having RTR sequel??? Kind of left hanging on that one and please...no real actors in the sequel..Dire Grove had just enough.
Again...anyone having problems finding the date 1749 in the graveyard puzzle???

_coral_
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by _coral_ on Nov 26, 10 7:37 AM
Wow! I love this game! It is even better than Dire Grove and I didn't see how that was possible! I didn't have any problems with it downloading or playing the game. It is a very long game and well worth the money you spend on it. The puzzles had me stumped at times. Great game! Can't wait for the next one they come out with!

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 26, 10 8:00 AM
I was, apparently, one of the lucky ones- I had no problems with the game- downloaded and played fine the first time. HOwever, I did discover some problems as I went on. They didn't keep me from completing the game or the bonus content, which makes me happy. However, I think these glitches did keep me from finding all the golden crown insignias. I found all the regular insignias.
The few glitches that I had, and reading about the many many glitches and problems that others had REALLY detracted from how I felt about the game overall. I have to say I'm terribly disappointed in BFG. One of the things I've always admired about BFG, 1 of the things I always looked forward to, was their games running beautifully. If there were glitches, they were usually small and they were fixed right away. 13th Skull seems to have HUGE problems, and I don't think the game was ready for release.
The walkthrough included in the strategy guide was not very helpful at all. In some cases what was left out of the description was the very help I needed! And I found that several of the sections of this walkthrough didn't match up with the title for that section. Since only the sections up to the point I was at in the game were available, this pissed me off. I couldn't search through other sections in the walkthrough to find the needed section- since they weren't all available!
I did like that the strategy guide was available to access in the game though.
Pros: the music was great- very well-suited to the game and added quite a bit to the ambience. The graphics were wonderful as always. The acting was decent for most of the characters- and absolutely stellar for several! Kudos on this part! "Cooter" was especially great. And I laughed so hard I cried when I got his "smells like gumbo" non-sequitur!
I also enjoyed the fact that the gameplay format was slightly changed up from previous MCF's. This is something BFG is great at- it keeps the series from getting stale. That and the intersting storylines they create. The objectives prompts were helpful for keeping on track in the game, and most likely were very helpful for newbies to HOGs, but I found them also a trifle bothersome. I would have preferred something a little less linear in nature.
Cons- items disappearing from the inventory before you were done using them. Gameplay got boring, especially after going back and forth over and over and over and over again, looking for various items to give to the different characters. Linear nature of the game progression. The puzzles sucked. Yeah, you could skip them all, but I would have preferred not to have to skip them and just have a wider variety of puzzles available. Other than the chess game, all the puzzles were similar in nature, and all were of the type I like least. How’s about more variety in this, BFG?
All in all, I’m left feeling a bit indeterminate about this game. I actually just uninstalled the game and reinstalled it (even though I completed the game and the bonus section on the first downloaded version of the game). I want to see if the few glitches I had are gone when I play it through again, and if that will change my opinion of the game- hopefully in a more positive direction.
I really hope I can keep being excited about MCF releases on Thanksgiving. I’d hate to have nothing to look forward to on this holiday but turkey and football!

kit

[Post New]by theatergirl on Nov 26, 10 8:01 AM
I gave in and bought it. I am enjoying it but I am really hoping for a RTR with more of those morphing objects that in my house, we love so much.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 26, 10 8:09 AM
Also, I agree with D3 on the objects in the HOG's. Keep it real BFG. If the tunnel was sealed for ages, a computer mouse, a road cone, and other modern objects would NOT be in the junk piles. Otherwise, I found the HOG's no better or worse than they have been in past MCF games. The junkpile approach is my least favorite in HOG's, but as the MCF games usually have tons of other pros going for them, I don't mind so much. In this one, I did grumble a bit about the junkpile HOG's, since I didn't feel the game itself was good enough to overshadow this issue.

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Nov 26, 10 8:10 AM
1) I'm sorry some of you had download problems. I had none -- it didn't take any longer than any other game of that size, I snagged the goblet update through Game Manager without having to retry/re-download.

2) Yes, the game is more linear than some of the other recent MCFs. I don't find this as much of a problem as some fishies do.

3) Bluegrass/country isn't my favorite musical genre, but it fit the game setting. (You want a bad soundtrack? One of the older and hacked-to-bits versions of Fritz Lang's Metropolis played a waltz for the workers' riot. I like classical music, and that was incredibly jarring for me.)

4) OK, how to phrase my live-actor comments without spoiling? Most of them, in my opinion, did a good job of their roles. There are a couple who didn't act right, but later in the game you find out why they weren't acting right. I couldn't do an accent if I had a gun in my back, so I'm staying neutral on that question.

5) I have no problem with the more realistic art style in this game. Personally, I prefer it to the cartoony art of Huntsville and Prime Suspects. But this is a matter of personal preference.

6) As a fast reader, I would have liked to be able to click through the interaction scenes. That may not be the correct term -- in, for example, Hound of the Baskervilles, I could read the dialogue, click to the next bit of dialogue, and not have to listen to someone else finish reading the first bit. But not having that option in 13th Skull isn't a deal-breaker.

7) I wish people would quit saying there's no skip button when there is one.

8) Is 13th Skull just like RTR, MF or DG? No, and in my opinion that's a good thing. If Big Fish did nothing but copy earlier games over and over, they would go bankrupt as everyone started buying different games instead.

Overall? I ran enough of the demo to make sure my laptop was up to spec, then downloaded the full game. I enjoyed 13th Skull, and am looking forward to replaying it many times in the future.

[Post New]by damnedfallacy on Nov 26, 10 8:22 AM
I am a really big MCF fan and followed the speculations thread avidly. I don't post much because I do try to post only when I have something to contribute - for me, not often.

Sadly, I thought this game was just ...ordinary. Not bad, really. Just ordinary. Meh. For someone who stayed up all night playing Dire Grove and who goes back and plays Madame Fate and RTR frequently, I thought it was maybe the level of Huntsville or MillionHeir, but not an improvement. It felt more like little mini-games, not nearly enought hidden object screens, and, without introducing spoilers, I really HATED what happened to the "bad guys" at the end of the regular game. Ok, I was just sad for the shortest of the "bad guys" but still... And finally - some of the puzzles (*cough*weeds*cough*) were impossible for someone with a touchpad.

All of that being said, the art was lovely and the music was perfect. Visually and aurally, the game was amazing. It just wasn't the high quality and innovative story and gameplay that I've come to expect from the MCF titles.

[Post New]by msoxtox on Nov 26, 10 8:26 AM
I bought game on first sight. MCF games are my fav. Was very disappointed! Not enough HOG, terrible puzzle games, which are my fav parts.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Nov 26, 10 8:32 AM
Well, stick me on an ant hill and put jam in my ears! I'm sure I've mis-quoted Cooter, but I cracked-up listening to him and his wife Charlotte
Personally, I'm getting a kick outa' this game. Enjoying the quirky "actors", and the storyline. Puzzles are a challenge and are fitting to the storyline.
It's a far-reach for the MCF series, although similar to Dire Grove, but with a bit too much hand-holding for me.
However, it is a very fun game and is very enjoyable.

Just an observation of some of the very negative reviews I've read. Sometimes the anticipation and mind-image of something can be so great that when we finally receive it, we experience a feeling of great disappointment. How can anything ever live up to our imagination and expectation; believed to be exceptional in every way? You will always be disappointed.

[Post New]by jbarton7 on Nov 26, 10 8:40 AM

I agree with you that the hand-holding is annoying. I prefer to wander around lost--and there is the strategy guide if I do get stuck--over being directed about exactly what to do. Actually, I have not once opened the guide since the hand-holding is so heavy. It is far more satisfying to figure things out on my own--which is what's great about MCF normally. I also think the hidden object scenes are less complex and far easier than in DG and RTR, which is very disappointing since most HOGs do not challenge me enough. I have always thought that some kind of "interaction" with real people would be nice in these type of games, but the acting is distractingly poor overall, the really bad wig on the maid's head is also distracting, and the characters are SO stereotyped and cliched. (Though Cooter is my favorite!) The sounds in the the tavern are also really annoying--the same 4 sounds (cough, sneeze, burp, cough or so) over and over. I think that for the sake of inserting more complicated video, the creators actually sacrificed alot of what made the MCF games so special. All that being said, the game value is still very good compared to other games that sell for the same price, and it is far, far lengthier than most. I still think it is a worthy expenditure, but I hope they go back to making games with the quality and challenge of RTR and DG in mind.

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 9:04:58 AM PST

ras7777
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by ras7777 on Nov 26, 10 8:50 AM
I had no tech problems with this game. I have played through the entire game and this is my take on the game. In DG and RTR I really enjoyed the fact that you basically had a pretty free rein to explore your game environment and find things and figure out where to use them. This game seems to be very structured. Talk to someone to get an objective run around and find things for the objective, talk to someone to get an objective run around and find things, etc. One of the objectives was to find all of the cleaning ladies supplies scattered around the house. Hardly appropriate for an experienced MCF detective!! I miss the freedom of exploring the game environment. I feel like I am being shoved down a cattle shoot with this game. As far as the hint button, it is more of the "tell you exactly where to go and what to do button" NOT a hint. The graphics are great, beautiful environment. Conversations with the people may have been more interesting if you could choose which questions to ask, rather than just pushing the next button that pops up.
End of the game has dialogue from one of the characters...VERY ANNOYING AND REPETITIVE! So much so that I shut down the sound so I wouldn't have to hear him, and when the final cut scene ran, I could not hear anything. I agree with other reviewers, there should have been an expert mode.

mercyone
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by mercyone on Nov 26, 10 9:03 AM
If you're having trouble with the live people, try playing with it on mute, much better.
I'm having a problem with the cannons and the numbers for each of them. If anyone is at the ending HELP!!!

[Post New]by kokoon on Nov 26, 10 9:12 AM
I have mixed feelings.
I'm a huge fan, and loved most of MCF, but this one is weird.
It has great graphics and sound, music and videos, cool scary twist in the plot, but it's odd in HOGging.
I mean I think there were much less hidden object scenes than in the previous games, by the end i missed them a lot and was happy to find a few in the bonus round.
Also many points of interest with magnifying glass were explored but signed we still could check them again after finishing the task. For me it's obvious that if we found everything in some place it shouldn't be accessible anymore. It helps you to get the logic of the game and understand your next steps. But here you can check them again and again like something may appear. Noway.
I missed the Morphing Objects a lot, i think it was a huge step forward in DG in game but here we could collect only papers which were not hard to find. Also the amount was ridiculous comparing with the Morphing Objects in DG. And 2nd type of papers i couldn't find at all. 0/10. where?
Also many objects were under magnifying glass and looked like had some meaning finally appeared to be totally useless. Like fridge in gas station. Or moving boxes. Or china cupboard. What for?
Sometimes in HOGs they use it for some info or jokes, but not here.
And 8-15 hours of gaming look funny.
As for the plot generally I like it very much though ending is strange as it's not closed enough. Actually I seeked kinda revenge for being fooled by this family moreover including daughter and pirate-made typhoon was not what i expected. Nor was the bonus chapter to be final motion for me.
I thought about directions through the game - is it good or is it bad - I think it's not really good since these guidances were too direct, tricky directions may work better.
And all these find things for one, then for another person were okay, they have its' touch but again directions could be less obvious.
So i can summarize it like 7/10. In many ways it's movement forward in many ways - "What was that?"

[Post New]by jbarton7 on Nov 26, 10 9:19 AM
firebird40 wrote:I am with a lot of people on this one. I have all of the other MCF games, and this one is probably the least interesting.

Pros: atmosphere is good, the music is fitting for the location, and the hints recharge quickly.

Cons: My biggest pet peeve is that the game is ridiculously linear. Its not really a game as much as a scavenger hunt set to music with characters added. I don't want or need objectives in every scene, and being told "no, you can't go outside" is almost as aggravating as seeing items you know you're going to need but can't pick up.

I didn't care for having to talk to someone every 5 minutes to get the information I needed, and thought they slowed the storyline to a crawl.

The smart guide is poorly written, quit halfway through the story and I still ended up having to go to the walkthru for one specific question. The bonus content was fine but the ending wasn't exciting.

The storyline is boring. It could have been spectacular, but it just lacked something. I loved DG and RTR, and maybe I was simply expecting too much. But there have been TONS of great games since those came out, and I am surprised that MCF didn't produce a game that could compare to those.

Had I done the trial on this one, I wouldn't have bought it, and I LOVED all the others. For me the next MCF will be tried first, and I probably won't buy the collector's edition again.

3 stars out of 10.

I agree with everything you said except I still think it is an exceptional value for the same price as games that don't have as much length and gameplay. But other MCF are better than this one and that has nothing to do with expectations but with the reality that MCF did not pay as much attention to what worked in the others. I have to wonder if a key person left the MCF team.

Go to: