robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 26, 11 3:42 PM
karenmusik wrote:Still can't figure out why Charles loves Victor so much - the twins are much smarter and better looking, too. Oh, well - he's crazy, isn't he?

Victor is Charles' son. Victor is the half-brother of the twins, but Charles is not their father. Charles kidnapped the twins and their mother at the same time (the twins' father is looking for all 3 of them in the Missing Persons notices in Return to Ravenhearst).

Robin

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 26, 11 3:44 PM
So far I have enjoyed the MCF games. I love adventure style games. MCF Return to Ravenhearst is my favorite game of all time. I played MCF RTR so many times that I lost count. Like so many others I was looking forward with anticipation to this newest in the Ravenhearst series. Unfortunately, after buying this game I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed.

I read the BFG warning, played the demo then purchased the game. I could tell by the demo that things in this game would be in ruins and perhaps not pleasant to look at. I was not prepared by the demo game play for the utter repugnant and disgusting sights and sounds that followed in the main parts of the game. This is the most sickening game I have ever experienced.

I think I have completed about half of the game so far and I’m not sure that I will finish it. I want to know how the story line ends but the game experience is so distasteful that I dread going back to play more of the game. Perhaps over time I will be able to play it in small segments and finally know how it comes out.

The morphing items are good in small doses but the abundance of them in this game leaves me bored. The ugly scenes are hard enough to look at in the first place and to have to stare intensely and examine them in detail is grueling.

The small door pieces that we have to go back and match are tedious at best. Again I was hoping that after finishing a segment of the game that I would not have to go back and endure any more of it. But finding and matching, pixel by pixel, the small pieces from the scenes is a very unpleasant task.

I understand that Charles Dalimar delights in subjecting the Master Detective to this hellacious experience but I am surprised that BFG Studio game creators would wish the same discomfort on the game players.

In addition to the hideous sights and sounds, I found the disrespect shown to women and children quite disturbing. I know it is only a game but the maternity ward and childbirth scenes were beyond tasteless. The scene with Charles’ mother in the bed was nauseating and nasty.

continued...

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 26, 11 3:45 PM
On a positive note, I do like the complexity of the puzzles but they are not available to play without going back through the horrid scenes. Even through I would like to replay some of the puzzles they are not worth having to endure the revolting game play.

I wish BFG Studios had not taken this particular approach to this final Ravenhearst game. I wish it could have been more of a final chapter in a very good mystery rather than a much too vividly disgusting look into a cruel demented mind.

On a side note: As I was writing my feelings about the game the one word that kept coming to mind was “disgusting”. In order to not use that word over and over, I did an online search for synonyms for “disgusting”. Here is what I found:

DISGUSTING
Synonyms: abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, offensive, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly

They all seem to fit so well that I wonder if BFG Studios did the same online search and took their inspiration for the game from this list.

Edited on 11/26/2011 at 4:01:10 PM PST

[Post New]by pSyCHoSpiLLeR on Nov 26, 11 4:01 PM
Despite my disgust at some of the scenes, I have to give Escape From Ravenhearst the highest marks for ambient, challenging puzzles, great voice acting, plot propelling use of video and great music. Quite frankly, I nearly choked on my cookies and milk with the Edith Piaf like music and automoan bass line in the electroshock room. The morphing objects certainly added a new twist to HOG pursuit. Good job guys, but please, no mama grooming on the next one...

Edited on 11/26/2011 at 4:13:51 PM PST

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Nov 26, 11 4:20 PM
Wow, not even where sure to start - it took me about 5 days to complete the game. I could only play this game in small doses - I too found the context, sounds and some 'puzzles' extremely explicit. I was interested in playing at first, but then wasn't looking forward to continuing playing - but I am of the mind that when I start something I finish it. If a younger person came into the room I immediately made them leave - something I have not done before in any recent games.

To keep it simple after the myraids of reviews:

PROS:
beautiful graphics - although it was very jumpy at first I figured out that I needed to update my Nvidia graphics card - which I did - and everything ran smoothly after that.
voice-overs - always a plus with a CE
morphing objects - which I love - but really didn't like at the beginning of the game, but kind of grew on me as the game progressed
puzzles - no hints or explanations readily available
story-line - but only to a certain point - will explain more in "CONS"

CONS:
puzzles - most of them I could figure out what to do, but the SG was not very helpful in some. Recommendation would be to at least provide the GOAL of the mini-game and maybe that would be helpful
subject matter - really, really hard for me to finish through. Some of us have been through abuse and to have to 're-live' it to complete a game is a bit thoughtless - IMO - that being said - no one has to finish the game if it is too painful. But even listening to someone calling a child names, hitting them, belittling them, it is hard to listen to over and over.
bonus content - i looked for the bonus 'chapter' after I was done and visited the forums to find out the deal. After reading many posts, could see both sides of the issue - I also had trouble putting the small circle pictures on top of the real circle pictures - it really had to be exact.
stragedy guide - the guide worked for me in several areas - I got it right away - but in others I was still confused as to the goal of what I was trying to do. I always love graphics, but in this case, words would be useful in some of the games.
Stragedy Guide - enjoyed not knowing what 0 out of 15 was - would have been nice to maybe have an "Accomplishment" category where you could at least look to give some type of hint as to what you should do to accomplish.
(continued...)

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Nov 26, 11 4:26 PM
(contined from before..)

CONS:
Closing Credits - I immediately saw morphing credits - and since I was so conditioned - I clicked on them. I was thrown out to the main menu so I missed whatever clues were to be had.

Accomplishments - none to be found in this game..

I do recognize that this game was extra-ordinary in it's IT development. The work involved in making a game of this high caliber is nuts. Kudos to BFG for raising the bar and we will judge future games on this one.

Happy gaming to all.

[Post New]by Empressu on Nov 26, 11 4:42 PM
Only because the puzzles etc were very good did I continue the game and shame on me for that.
Slapping devices, screaming pregnant women, popping up pregnant bellies, torture, strange operating techniques, pimple busting, nose hair clipping and insane asylums...your development team should consider therapy if you can't come up with a better story line. Yes, I did notice that they are mannequins, but still.
I have been meaning to leave a commentary before because of the amount of crazy violent disgusting story lines but this one does take the cake.
I do love being a "game detective" but sooner or later I will need to find a new online profession unless some more positive content is offered. Just like the off button on TV :-).
And don't tell me this sells, of course it does, if nothing else is available.
So how about doing your part and staying a little more on the positive side, what say you?

baxterbear
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by baxterbear on Nov 26, 11 4:43 PM
As a longtime fan of Mystery Case Files games, I was eagerly awaiting the release of Escape from Ravenhearst. Within five minutes of playing the demo version, I decided I was incredibly disappointed. Since five minutes isn't enough time to make a valid judgement, I continued to play through the demo. I was still disappointed. First, there's not much of a story line to follow. Second - where are the hidden objects? I am not a fan of the morphing items, unless they're used in a mini-game or as an extra, as in some of the other MCF games.

I'm so sad to say that I will not be purchasing either of the full versions of this game.

khora
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by khora on Nov 26, 11 4:53 PM
I, too, am a long-time MCF fan, and I absolutely loved this one!!! Deliciously macabre, in keeping with RTR but taking it several steps further. I'm a fan of morphing objects, so I didn't mind those scenes at all. I loved the artwork and sound effects. Much, MUCH more challenging than 13th Skull (thank God). Yes, like many players, I found the Strategy Guide difficult to understand at times, but I sooooo appreciated that it didn't just spell everything out for us in full. We are supposed to be master detectives, after all! And sometimes detectives have to brave the worlds of the depraved... happy sleuthing to all of you who haven't tried this one yet! (Do give it a try...it's quite the experience...)

khora
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by khora on Nov 26, 11 5:08 PM
I have to add that I really admire the fact that various background visual effects, like raindrops and flickering light, can enhance the difficulty of finding morphing objects. Yet another excellent aspect of the design.

[Post New]by shimar1110 on Nov 26, 11 5:28 PM
Excellent! Very engaging like in other Ravenhearst games and looking forward to more!

Morphing scenes - either you love it or hate it, I happen to LOVE IT. What a great idea to change staid overdone hidden object scenes.

cailin272
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cailin272 on Nov 26, 11 5:58 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!
I was disappointed by this game. I have been playing the series since the beginning and have loved all but this one and the previous. This one seemed more dark with the storyline and could not make it through without the strategy guide.

I think the developers went a little too far over the edge with this one. I'm not a fan of the objects morphing and having to go in between levels to play. I know the point of the game is strategic, but it's a little too much.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Nov 26, 11 6:04 PM
Well. a Morphing Object Game. A new term for me.
This was the sickest creepiest game I have ever run across, but I Like It!!
Weird puzzles, Great length of play, and Graphics-fantastic, Sountrack geat!
Story-Bizarre as H(ell).
The writers and artists should all be committed to an Asylum-as in this story.
I don't know how this game will ever be topped, but I am looking forward to anything near this genre.
Also, I could not have completed this game without the built in SG, and hope anyone who ever might get it in SE doesn't end up in a nut house.
Thanks oh so much BFG, and everyone involved.!!!!!!
I am going to go to sleep now, and hope to not have nightmares!

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 26, 11 6:36 PM
I agree with tomb57...I don't know how this story can be topped. Will those of us who loved this game be satisfied with the other games that come along now? Big Fish - you've set the bar really high for all the other developers.

gamedancer
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by gamedancer on Nov 26, 11 7:53 PM
Well I got to the end by the hardest. I don't like this game as well as the other Mystery Case Files. It is kind of gross. The puzzles are good but yuck to all the dummies and stuff. Hope I can sleep after this.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 26, 11 8:53 PM
LizzieK wrote:On a positive note, I do like the complexity of the puzzles but they are not available to play without going back through the horrid scenes. Even through I would like to replay some of the puzzles they are not worth having to endure the revolting game play.

I wish BFG Studios had not taken this particular approach to this final Ravenhearst game. I wish it could have been more of a final chapter in a very good mystery rather than a much too vividly disgusting look into a cruel demented mind.

On a side note: As I was writing my feelings about the game the one word that kept coming to mind was “disgusting”. In order to not use that word over and over, I did an online search for synonyms for “disgusting”. Here is what I found:

DISGUSTING
Synonyms: abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, offensive, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly

They all seem to fit so well that I wonder if BFG Studios did the same online search and took their inspiration for the game from this list.

As always with your posts, beautifully articulated. Especially the "disgusting" discussion.

I've come to realize that I only am determined to finish the game because I paid good money for it. And that's sad.

I also don't think that just an hour demo gives enough time for someone to learn just how disgusting the game is. I also find myself contemplating the notion of asking for a refund. There are so many other games out there--especially with sales on--that are fun to play, that have clear story lines, good graphics, and challenging game play.

Over all, I just don't want to go back "there" and get into the game.

corliss1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by corliss1 on Nov 26, 11 8:55 PM
I loved all of Ravenhearst games and could not wait for the Escape from Ravenhearst to come out, I didn't even play the demo, just bought it out right, and was disappointed, not the same level as the past Ravenhearst, I did not like so much of the morphing objects, the graphics was great but something was missing, not enough to hold interest. please make it better next time.

A Big fan of Ravenhearst series.

heron
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by heron on Nov 26, 11 9:06 PM
I am in total agreement with LizzieK . I also am about halfway through and I really don't know if I want to know what's around the corner. It has to be the sickest game I have ever played and I am taking it in small doses. It is challenging and I, like many others, could not have gotten this far without the help of the S G and all the fishies who have taken time to answer questions in the forum. I am not having the fun with this one that I had with the first two but I will continue to continue and hope Charles' mind does not get any more depraved!!!!!

[Post New]by Roseyjane on Nov 26, 11 9:10 PM
After playing the demo of the latest MCF game, I was more than a bit disappointed with it.. The graphics are gorgeous, the storyline is good... but the replacement of hidden objects by "morphing" was more than I could take. My eyes were tearing up and popping out their sockets after spending 40 minutes of the demo looking for "morphed" items. The reason I buy hidden object/adventure games is for enjoyment and relaxation. If the "morph" replacement of HOG's trend continues, guess I won't be buying many games in the future. It's too bad..I was looking forward to the the latest MCF game but it won't be a buy for me this time.

CassB
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by CassB on Nov 26, 11 10:07 PM
Bah Humbug. Not worth the 13.99 that I paid. I thought it was going to be a lot better.

Go to: