dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

Re:MCF 2012... Picman's official clues and intrigue

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 10, 12 5:01 PM
Eoarod wrote:Let's see...57 minutes & I'm 15% complete...oh...my...this will take a bit I think I prefer binary now...

So I just popped in and I'm happy to see I have a chance to catch up. I love jigsaw puzzles! Would whomever completes the puzzle please post it so that the fishies that don't use facebook can see. Thanks!

Edit: Alas, another activity commands my pressing attention. Good luck to all the other fishies trying the jigsaw puzzle!

Edited on 11/10/2012 at 5:12:02 PM PST

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Nov 10, 12 5:07 PM
36 min. - 36%. Will stop now since it´s 2 am.
l hope it really saves the jigsaw til tomorrow.. umm later today.

Night all!

Eta. use the ghost pic, so it is a bit easier.

Edited on 11/10/2012 at 5:08:28 PM PST

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Nov 10, 12 5:19 PM
brandy914 wrote:
Purplerabbit wrote:
ccalvert2007 wrote:Just looked at the poster again (I love it. Nice work BFG)

What if the object the boy & Doc are holding is a tusk or horn rather than an actual rune stone and the symbals are some sort of curse/spell that has shook the town?

It could be a scrimshaw, carved by a possessed mariner way back!

I am thinking scrimshaw too. Wanted to post that when I first saw the pic but did not think it had any bearing.

I remember when we were researching 'birds of prey'....I came up with one definition of 'raptor'...ever since we ( you-all) came up with Talon...Ive imagined a Giant Raptor with huge Talons...MAYBE...he's holding a GIANT Talon? A Giant Rune in the shape of a talon ? I know I know...Its a stretch

larwen
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by larwen on Nov 10, 12 5:20 PM
I have a question for the more FB-literate fishes on here.
When does the number usually countdown for the day?
I don't have facebook, but I can see the page if I go directly to it.
It still has the 13 from yesterday. Hasn't it normally changed by now?

Edited because I can't spell, apparently.

Edited on 11/10/2012 at 5:25:58 PM PST

AndrewB179
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by AndrewB179 on Nov 10, 12 5:23 PM
larwen wrote:I have a question for the more FB-literary fishes on here.
When does the number usually countdown for the day?
I don't have facebook, but I can see the page if I go directly to it.
It still has the 13 from yesterday. Hasn't it normally changed by now?

Normally, yes. But it hasn't. Hmm....

Also, the puzzle is challenging and all, but is there a point to it? Beyond having solved it, I mean? Since it lets us see what it looks like, and that has nothing clue-ish about it, I'm not sure if there's a point to it, aside from fun (for those who like jigsaw puzzles, of course).

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 10, 12 5:23 PM
larwen - yep normally it changes pretty early in the am - but it's the weekend - even they need to take some time off

ETA: Andrew - there may be a clue...but see my above post - I think it's largely "busy work"

Edited on 11/10/2012 at 5:24:25 PM PST

larwen
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by larwen on Nov 10, 12 5:28 PM
Eoarod wrote:larwen - yep normally it changes pretty early in the am - but it's the weekend - even they need to take some time off

What is this "time off" you speak of? Blasphemy!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 10, 12 5:53 PM
I agree that it does seem like "busy work," unless they've added something to the original picture. Good job thinking of looking at the finished preview picture and googling, because I did that and recognized the picture right away. Much easier than doing the puzzle, although now I sort of want to finish the puzzle just because!

dzzzy
Flounder
Flounder
2,473 Posts

[Post New]by dzzzy on Nov 10, 12 6:49 PM
Eoarod wrote:larwen - yep normally it changes pretty early in the am - but it's the weekend - even they need to take some time off

ETA: Andrew - there may be a clue...but see my above post - I think it's largely "busy work"

I agree with the quote and post above. Unless the completed picture is in some way different from the picture on facebook, its likely busy work. Also, the countdown has changed, it now says 12.

momo2006
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by momo2006 on Nov 10, 12 7:15 PM
I'm wondering if there's going to be a premium for early buyers of the game like last year (MD badge). I think the movie poster would be a good one. Or maybe a little case report to go with the badge.

bri_rose1978
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bri_rose1978 on Nov 10, 12 7:31 PM
Okay, so...

I MAY have found the connection (if there is one) between "Skyfall" and the latest MCF game. I went to see the movie tonight, largely because Hondo raised my curiosity about whether there might be a possible clue, but also because I get to see Daniel Craig (YUM!).

I'll try not to give away any major plot points in case any other fishies plan to go see it, but there may be a connection. At one point in the movie, Bond is brought to an island with a whole lot of abandoned buildings that are literally falling apart (and I'm not talking wood buildings here; we're talking large concrete type buildings that look like they were office buildings or apartments.) What was odd is that I actually recognized the place. The girl Bond is with at this point in the movie tells him that the villain of the piece managed to coerce everyone living on the island into abandoning the place overnight by telling them there was a chemical spill nearby; he then acquired the island to house his numerous computer servers, apparently. But that's not the important part here; as I said, I recognized the place. It's an actual abandoned island about 9 miles off the coast of Nagasaki, Japan called Hashima, or Gunkanjima. Reason I recognized it is because it's in an article on Cracked.com about the six creepiest places on earth (and it's in the article that's part 2, incidentally; they publish another article every year around Halloween, so this was published in 2010). They aren't lying about it being a creepy place; it looks essentially like what would happen to cities if the urban population was suddenly and totally wiped out. According to the history of the place, it was built as a coal mining facility; the people lived and worked there on the island. There wasn't any major crisis or event that caused the island to be abandoned, though; oil started replacing coal, production went down, and eventually the island was just shut down.

It's worth noting though, that the island was also supposedly a forced labor camp for Korean and Chinese prisoners of war during WWII; over 1500 of them died from mining injuries or explosions there. And although travel to the island is now permitted somewhat, you can only visit about ten percent of the island, and if you visit at the wrong time, it's entirely possible to be stranded there with little to no chance of rescue, because travel to Gunkanjima is only possible 160 days out of the year. Now, I'm not 100% sure that this(CONT)

bri_rose1978
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bri_rose1978 on Nov 10, 12 7:33 PM
was even Gunkanjima, but the shot of the island as they approached it on the boat in the movie sure as heck looked like it. I don't know for sure if there is any connection to our game here... but it was one heck of a creepy coincidence if there isn't one. Something to chew on; if you're curious, I can PM you the link to the article that mentions Gunkanjima on Cracked; there are links to other pages there that tell you a bit more about the place.

MJ_Mystery
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by MJ_Mystery on Nov 10, 12 7:36 PM
Well guys I've only got 39% of the puzzle done and will probably have to restart it tomorrow and so far I do not see anything that might be a clue in the puzzle. I guess I will have to try and finish it tomorrow. Good night guys, I'll see you guys in the morning.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 10, 12 7:40 PM
Thanks bri! Worth chewing on...

Nite MJ

As for who's left...busy, busy, busy work I'm at 45%....may pause at 50 and get back to it tomorrow...may not be able to stop until I fall asleep (which is likely to be at 50% lolol)

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 10, 12 7:44 PM
It's taken me 222.17 minutes and I see nothing different from the concept art. It's 3.45am here and I'm feeling I just wasted my time...

Laura29
Clownfish
Clownfish
833 Posts

[Post New]by Laura29 on Nov 10, 12 7:53 PM
Nice going bri_rose!! And I LOVE Cracked.com, and I recall the article you referred to.

Enamorte
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Enamorte on Nov 10, 12 8:01 PM
I just finished the puzzle, and it's nothing. Good thing I like jigsaw puzzles.

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 10, 12 8:07 PM
How about a goodnight song?

I've never tried or needed
To socialize because father was my best friend
That doesn't mean I conceded
To gain a heart that can't mend
But that doesn't mean I like to be ignored
Some just thought me as unfocused
But when I found my true friends they showed me deep inside I'm so much more

Just watch I will prove it
It's not at all that convoluted
We may not talk but I can still hear
You'll look away but I'll still shed tears
I may be scary but I'm also kind
There's more to me than meets the eye
Don't judge me because I've tried

It's hard to defend in some situations
But that doesn't mean I don't deserve appreciation
Perhaps that's why I can relate well with my father
He's quiet like me and will continue to get smarter
Thankfully I found at least one friend
That love the way I am and will until the end
So walk away if fear is all you feel
Because there's others that know there's more to me

Just watch I will prove it
It's not at all that convoluted
We may not talk but I can still hear
You'll look away but I'll still shed tears
I may be scary but I'm also kind
There's more to me than meets the eye
Don't judge me because I've tried

Because I've tried

jpape
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by jpape on Nov 10, 12 8:10 PM
About two and a half hours later, puzzle is done, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. A challenging puzzle though--sort of glad I stuck with it. (Easy to, I guess, since I, like so many of the fishies, am under the weather.) I may have finished sooner, but I was trying to eat dinner, too.

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on Nov 10, 12 8:14 PM
Hmmm
Perhaps the boy, man and the old dude on the poster are all the same guy at diffrent stages of life?

Go to: