bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Dec 25, 14 1:14 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

dillon3473
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dillon3473 on Dec 25, 14 12:33 PM
I love this game. a definite buy. Bought the last one without demoing and it was not so good.
I love that they tell you where the collectables are. I hate having to guess, missing some and not knowing where it was. I also hate having to remember the long list of collectables in some games.
Buying uncharted Islands games with code. Not a great game but for $4.99, not so bad and I'll get a free game code.
It saved perfectly. took me back to the entrance, but my inventory was there and I went right back to where I left off.
Great game. Thanks BFG and Eipix.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 26, 14 4:22 AM
The best game released since 'Tin Soldier', this is much better than the last one in the series and I loved every minute of the demo!

Eipix really do a wonderful job with their opening sequences and this one is no exception. It's like the start of a movie and draws you in to playing the game. Being from the UK, I know very little about the Smithsonian but if I ever visit the U.S.A. it's on my list of places to go; the fact cards and 'information stand' announcements are really interesting and the whole place just looks fascinating.

Graphics are, as always, excellent and the story is one I want to find out more about. The HOS are very varied and contain morphing objects. And perhaps unsurprisingly since their collaboration with Blue Tea, there are FROG's included in the HOS Puzzles were not terribly challenging but kept short and were fun to complete. As well as the fact cards, there are other collectibles to find which I think opens a 'souvenir' room in the 'extras' section. This also includes replaying the puzzles and HOS (which if it's typical of other Eipix CE's allows you to find the morphing objects if you missed them first time round).

An excellent addition to the series and a definite buy for me! Whether I get it today or wait to see what, if any, sale there is tomorrow depends on my willpower....and I don't have much of that

And I had no technical issues with the demo; I quit and went back in to see if it had saved my progress, which it had. No issues downloading either and the demo played flawlessly. Desktop running Win7 64bit.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 26, 14 7:14 PM
Well, this game and I got off to a shaky start. I was about ready to quit and dump it in the garbage can, when all of a sudden, lo and behold, the game started to come together and I finally "got it"!! In the beginning, I hated the HOS, the way the map was set up, well you name it, and I disliked it. Which was a shame, as I have every other Hidden Expedition Game out there (some are definetly better than others), and have enjoyed them. Well, ALL games should take a lesson from this one, cuz once it gets going, its a thrill ride and also stimulates the "grey matter" which never hurts!! I found I could not finish this game in one sitting, so I will reserve some time over this holiday season to finish and then write my final review. But so far, my review is BUY THIS GAME!!

Happy New Year!!!!

feenix

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 27, 14 5:10 AM
Based on the demo version, I really liked this game! I have already played other Hidden Expedition of the series and I always enjoyed its! But this one is very particular, compares to the others, really awsome! I hope the rest of the game keeps up to the demo, it's a sure buy for me! Wishing a good new Year to B. F. G., and members!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 27, 14 2:43 PM
Hi all. Back from Christmas Holiday and playing catch up. I see that I didn't really miss much. We have another Hidden Expedition game to add to our collection. I only have 4 others, not all. I found the graphics on this one a bit fuzzy in a lot of places, especially in close ups of pictures and books. Otherwise, pretty good. Colors seemed a bit muted to me, but maybe that's just me...still pretty clear. Game play was very good, no problems along the way during the demo.

I didn't even find any need to look at the map, so don't even know how it is set up. Hint system works quite well and is very helpful, even transporting to long distances, which I really like. It does fill very quickly. Really liked the HOPs, quite different and fun and not just straight HOGs. There are morphing objects in some of them as well. Puzzles were not extremely difficult, but did take some time and thought in most cases. Not as easy as you may think.

Collectibles: 43 things that look like old pocket watches in the shape of seashells to me. Very easy to spot, quite large in most cases. You also collect cards that give you information about things in the museum.

Even though I did find it quite odd for a Mother to bring her young children into her lab and expect them to sit still and not touch anything...really, I did enjoy this game. The story is the same, but a little different and interesting. I think it is even better than the others that I have in some respects. I found myself wanting to keep playing, when I usually only play about an hour or so a day. Yes, I am going to get this one for my collections. Got a free game coupon to use or lose, but I would buy it even if I didn't have the coupon. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in game and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Dec 27, 14 3:34 PM
Hi, I know everyone gets real technical in here and says why they like the game but the best thing I can say about this game is that when it ended I wanted to keep playing. Was worth every cent.

cjones357
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by cjones357 on Dec 28, 14 3:46 PM
Wasn't long enough. That's a good sign. The thing I didn't like about this game and Eipix must do it in all their games...the strategy guide does not keep track of your progress in the game. When you quit for the day you HAVE to write down what Chapter and page when you were on when you stopped or you'll spend the whole game day trying to figure out where you were so you can play again!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 31, 14 2:17 PM
Own all of the Hidden Expedition games, so was VERY happy to see Smithsonian Castle CE, played demo and, it is a MUST BUY, for this fishie, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

I did get to visit the Smithsonian Institute many times as a child, on field trips, in school, so getting to listen to the information centers/stands, in this game, I find very interesting, and a cool way to learn, for those who have never been there, GOOD JOB developers fun and educational .

This one had me from the beginning, as I do LOVE the H.E.L.P equipment, using the facial recognition, to complete the puzzle was COOL yes it may not be brain busting, BUT it is so FUN and enjoyable to do, I just LOVE all of the puzzles, in these games, IMHO they are entertaining, and always make me smile, and I never get bored, like in some games, for me it makes the game flow like butter, and before I know it, hours have passed by ( and I forget about my pain )...which is priceless!!

I think the HE games, are different in there game play, and that is why I love them so much, this one had a FROG in the demo LOVE those, and hope there are more to come, plus in one of the H0 scenes, I got to use a magnifying glass, within the scene really neat, the way the developers, did it, hope there are more of those as well .
I love using high-tech equipment..lol, so looking forward to more FUN, in this one, just played the demo, now it has finished downloading, so OFF TO PLAY !!

The beginning was AWESOME...now lets see what the rest has in store, I'm SURE I will not be disappointed...

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 4, 15 10:19 AM
Finished the game today and absolutely LOVED EVERY MINUTE. I have never played a game with so many diverse HOS. As I have written many times in my reviews, I have never been a big fan of HOS, but these just blew me away. As another reviewer mentioned, the puzzles were indeed easy, but I still enjoyed them and made getting to the next part of the game, that much quicker. I have been to the Smithsonian a few times over the years and no matter how many times you visit it, it is a truly wonderous place. I think visitors to our country should definetly experience the Smithsonian. At any rate, to get back to the game, I couldn't recommend it more highly. It is a quality, interesting and fun game.

feenix

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jan 5, 15 1:18 AM
Loved playing this game from Eipix! They are my #1 fave designer/developer and never disappoint. Looking forward to the next creative endeavor they will offer us. Thank you Eipix. You are the best!

Faylyn

usignuolo
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by usignuolo on Jan 7, 15 1:41 PM
After several sessions, Save stopped working. We were reset back to beginning. Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Edited on 01/07/2015 at 1:42:18 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 8, 15 1:39 PM
Another great game and it's hard to pick which one I want to buy. Like that it has information and history to learn more about the Smithsonian. Great HOG's and puzzles too. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jan 15, 15 8:28 AM
Based on completed game:

Superb game!

I bought the CE (on sale) only because it clearly shows the status of a collectible/morphing object - phew! I missed only 1 morph. but couldn't find it even in the replay........a mystery.

The story, game play + its flow kept me going to finish it over 2 days (a rarity in my case) over the holidays. The history cards were an interesting touch. While time travel is one of my fav. themes, this one has fab. graphics, relevant cut-scenes and a good balance of HOGs, puzzles and dialogue.

In general, all EIPIX games I've played are always fun with no unnecessary back-and-forth. Also, SE buyers (like moi) are not short-changed w/ abrupt endings - bonus content always adds to the main story.

Deserves 5+ stars!
-------------------------------------------------------
Note: I've yet to play Smithsonian Hope Diamond and The Crown of Solomon. I don't know if the stories are connected but, this one inspires me to finish them......talk about travel back in time!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 18, 15 9:31 PM
Awesome game. Period! I enjoyed it thoroughly and loved it

Only problem was not really a problem which was a sometimes 'floaty curser' but was so into the game I ignored it.

Am also happy that I bought the Collector's Edition !

This beauty gets a full out of 5 !

P.S. My oldest and still a big favorite 'Hidden Expedition : Amazon'

Played on Desktop---Windows 7/64bit

Go to: