jcx3
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

Get a new Dictionary source for future upgrades

[Post New]by jcx3 on Apr 30, 09 8:35 AM
I read all the previous comments and agree with them. The levels should get progressively more difficult. The words that the computer comes up with are sometimes bizarre at best, and there isn't a way to challange them. This problem may be rectified by using more than one dictionary source.

kore21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

Re:Get a new Dictionary source for future upgrades

[Post New]by kore21 on May 17, 09 8:08 PM
agree, the dictionary is really lousy especially compared to bookworm (which also has its limitations). one of the main drawbacks with these games is the limitation of normal words beginning in re- or un- or ending in -er or -ing. (these are some of my better bookworm tricks BTW). geez i thought bookworm was limited. upwards is worse & these word types are so limited it's a joke. even bookworm does accept many of these words which upwards does not. since when is "tossing" not a word? felt like "tossing" the game when upwards wouldn't take it.

the problem is not having fancy obscure words added but a whole host of normal everyday words. add to these not one but TWO censor filters which limit playability of words with a "normal" meaning. i would REALLY like to see a game where you could edit your own censor filter OR have an "add to dictionary" function. a game like this would probably sell 10 times as well.

anyway the idea for the game is good but the frustration level makes it virtually unplayable.

brade
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by brade on Oct 11, 09 3:25 AM
PLEASE YESSS!!!!!!! Great game but for the stupidly lame dictionary.

[Post New]by chickenmum on Oct 21, 09 2:00 AM
please please please upgrade upwords.........when I play I want to put something up upwords and tell it where to go......shocking dictionary.....spectacularly hopeless to try and play with any real sense of competition but there is sooooo much potential if only the dictionary was a genuine source of words (also not just an American dictionary which is a big problem for Aussies)

[Post New]by ballanw1949 on Feb 5, 10 9:51 PM
My Miriam-Webster has more legitimate words than the lousy Encarta. Can't they just give an upgrade to Encarta?

p4pad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by p4pad on May 12, 10 8:34 AM
Can anyone tell me how you can have a Past Participle of a known? Today "Expert" played "laired" and defined it as the past participle of "lair, an animal's den". I ask you!!!!!

[Post New]by sando54 on May 23, 10 5:20 PM
My favorite so far is "coved", which is the past tense of "cove". Past tense of a noun?

p4pad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by p4pad on Jul 4, 10 6:21 AM
I've just had "ponded" which is, according to Encarta, the past tense of "pond"...a small still body of water. I give up!

mebb
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by mebb on Jul 15, 10 8:20 AM
Thought it was just me! Encarta IS horrible. I decided to complain to MSN. If everyone did, maybe they would change it.

Licc
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by Licc on Sep 25, 10 11:43 PM
I have to wonder if the people who invented this game ever actually sat down to try it. The appalling dictionary is unbelievably frustrating, but even worse is the system the game uses to tell you a particular word is not in that dictionary (usually a fairly simple word, at that). To put in passe, as I did today, and then have to sit there for 20 seconds while it goes through its routine is enough to make me pack up in disgust. I would gladly buy an upgraded version with a real dictionary and a fast rejection system. And since when was "sot" a bad word???

Go to: