Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

pocahontas princess of powhatan

[Post New]by Robilyn on May 1, 09 12:25 AM
Can any one get out of the maze? I am still sea sick from the rocking boat, now I'm stuck in the maze. Please help.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:pocahontas princess of powhatan

[Post New]by govegril on May 1, 09 12:29 AM
You got further than me- after fuzzy background graphics, looking everywhere for a ruby which turned out to be green and then the boat going up and down - that was enough for me. It was not that the boat made me sick- just annoyed me

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on May 1, 09 12:34 AM
I must admit that after the first two screens, I'm not encouraged to continue. The graphics were fuzzy for me, as well; the rocking boat wouldn't have bothered me were it not for the fuzzy graphics. And here I thought maybe I was just tired and I wasn't seeing all that well due to fatigue.

I'll be waiting to hear if this gets better. I was initially quite enthused as I saw that the developers were Twintale--the same guys who did Caribbean Hideaway, a match-3 game that I loved. But right now I have no particular inclination to continue this one, even though the story could potentially be interesting for a HOG.

Edited on 05/01/2009 at 12:35:19 AM PST

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on May 1, 09 12:43 AM
What a shame and it could have been such a good game with decent graphic, etc. I haven't played the demo yet, because on my way out I stopped in to read these threads and now I feel a little discouraged...

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

pocahontas princess of powhatan

[Post New]by raystownlady on May 1, 09 12:44 AM
Robilyn wrote:Can any one get out of the maze? I am still sea sick from the rocking boat, now I'm stuck in the maze. Please help.
You go out to the right and the exit is a little left of the bottom right side(if that makes sense,it will say exit).Anyway,I did get out but this seems like a basic HO unless it gets better.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on May 1, 09 1:32 AM
Ok, I admit it, I'm spoiled. Standard Hidden Object Games just don't do it for me any more and Pocahontas: Princess of Powhatan is pretty darn standard. A solid, no glaring errors offering, but nothing to excite either.

The graphics for the most part I found appealing, but they are by no means clear. I believe the graininess was purposeful both to disguise objects in this "junk pile" style game and to envoke a "painterly" feel. Overall I liked this and I appreciate when textures and colors of objects are tweaked to fit the background and challenge the finder. However the story characters were not terribly well drawn and the way they popped in and out for the dialog seemed really funny. The dialog bubbles were jarringly hard edged with a poorly chosen modern font in the overall fuzzy, "Old Masters" look I believe they were trying to achieve. Some objects are also way too small. I should be able to spot an ostrich but not when it's smaller than a sparrow.

The game is Untimed with no option for a Timer. This is good as the extremely well hidden and/or tiny objects take time. Hints are refillable taking about 90 seconds to refill (that's me without a stopwatch counting "one thousand and one, one thousdand and two... the things I do for you fishies. ) I used at least 2 on each scene. If you go "Miss Clicky Pants" crazy you will get a flashing red screen for a few seconds but no other penalty as there is no scoring system.

The story is clumsy and the justifications for found objects as expected. "Get provisons for the trip" ok I'll need this Buddah and this mask and this ladies dress... The one real mini-game I got to was a maze which I just found pretty tedious. There was one unique scene which was a box of wooden tokens with pictures on them. You had the standard object list which corresponded to the pictures. It was kinda neat because you needed to move them about to look for what was needed. This was the only "new" thing I ran across.

I will admit I only played abt 30 minutes of the demo. The very pretty, relaxing music (a plus poijnt) combined with the hohum game-play had me on the verge of a snooze. I *could* see buying this in desperate HO drought times but with so many good games on my desk-top after Felix's Treasure Chest I'll pass for now. Not Poodlebear Approved, but not terrible. It's a single thumber.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on May 1, 09 2:09 AM

It would seem that the only thing decent about this game is the music.

Junk pile of HO's that blended in too well. After using a hint, it took me 10 minutes to find the "melon" in the corner. I had to click on just about everything to find it and got the flashing red screen.
Graphics too blurred/muted - like it all washed together sometimes.
They do love that tourch, don't they? At least it fit into the theme of the game. An huge elephant in a cabin?? Sea creatures (star fish, lobster, etc.) in a creek? An aligator on the beach? And the list goes on.........
The stiff type drawn characters slidding in and out was laughable.
The dialog was so laughable I was actually cracking up thinking it was a joke.
Dark areas at the top of your screen makes finding HO's hard.
Hint guage was too slow to fill!
The hint "circle" covers a large area so it's not very helpful.
Mini games too easy.

Nothing really new or exciting here and I was so happy when the demo ended. Meh

PS...... Why the heck was the Statue Of Liberty & the Eiffel Tower in the first scene???

Edited on 05/01/2009 at 4:06:38 PM PST

queets
Manatee
Manatee
3,701 Posts

[Post New]by queets on May 1, 09 3:28 AM
Well I just got this one but now am thinking I shouldn't bother to download...maybe I will wait and see if it improves with the reviews.

Thanks all the fin ups

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 1, 09 3:38 AM
Sorry Robilyn, I apologize. I looked for this thread, didn't find it and started one. I'd delete it but couldn't figure out how

Good reviews!

Yea! I managed to delete it! Learned something.

Edited on 05/01/2009 at 3:45:01 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 1, 09 3:41 AM
Scotcat, I also wondered about the statue and tower. This is a game which could easily have kept to contemporary objects. Sleepy Hollow did that fairly well with only maybe one or two out of time objects. The characters are stiff and look like paperdolls, Why was the Chief so small and his daughter so tall?

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 1, 09 3:43 AM
GeeBee wrote:What a shame and it could have been such a good game with decent graphic, etc.

Ditto!!! The first thought that passed my mind was: what a great potential this game had, if the graphic were not blurred on purpose, to hide the objects better.

I always looooved the story of Pocahontas - and was excited to download the game. Give me the graphics of Samantha 2, and I will buy the game without second thought. Don't mind the "dry" dialogs, ready to pull my hair looking for small objects, use the hint button non-stop - but I can't bear purposely ruined graphics! Gee, let me enjoy something, for the sake of Pocahontas!

..."Will they ever learn?" (the creators) - listen to us, just listen...

Edited on 05/01/2009 at 3:44:21 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 1, 09 4:41 AM
If you have any problems with the game, open the Options Menu and there you will see a choice for Open GL or Active X. Experiment. This is the first time I have seen these options in a game.

topgamma58
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by topgamma58 on May 1, 09 5:02 AM
Well, I can't even get past the first scene. These old eyes can not find the "needle" in a haystack, lol, and the hint circle is so large it didin't help me a bit. I must be looking too hard but so far I'm not impressed either.

Betsy
"In His Grip"

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on May 1, 09 5:19 AM
What an awful game. I used lots of hint's, as unable to find items. Even the hints only tell you which area to look. Seasick on the boat. Got as far as the Maze and decided to uninstall for this one

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on May 1, 09 5:42 AM
I was hoping for something different with this game but, (sigh) was totally disappointed. I had a lot of difficulty finding the objects because everything seemed so fuzzy up close and I had to practically put my nose in the monitor to find things. The hint wasn't much help either. I didn't care for the maze, although I did get to the exit. I guess for a typical HO it's ok, but since I have so many other games to choose from right now thanks to Felix, I doubt if it'll be one that I would purchase.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 1, 09 5:43 AM
That awful beach scene did it for me. I was still seasick at that point too. I had trouble finding things but figured it was just me and that most folks would do OK. I was a bit glad to see that I am not alone. Too bad this isn't better. The title alone had me half sold. If they had only changed a few things this could have been Good or Great instead of a big NO for me.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on May 1, 09 5:46 AM
I didn't find it AWFUL, just not a keeper for me.

MrsSkippy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,388 Posts

[Post New]by MrsSkippy on May 1, 09 5:55 AM
I have to agree. I found this really hard to play. I know I need to wear my glasses, but this was worse than having my eyes dialated at the eye doc. Every thing was so fuzzy, I could also do without the rocking boat,maze was easy. I uninstalled it after 13 minutes.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 1, 09 5:55 AM
I will try it..but learned my lesson about buying before I do. And just a little aside here.........finished Three Days, A Zoo Mystery yesterday morning........good hog, fun game, lots of different challenges, yet I didn't need a guide book to get through it. Nice for a change. Paid full price for it, and will be irked it it shows up on BF anytime soon, but it was such a good game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Somebody should take a lesson from the ones who created this game. I would like more please.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on May 1, 09 5:55 AM
It's a shame that this is a BF exclusive. This ranks right up there as one of the worst HOG's ever! Awful is being kind. Way too hard on the eyes and the stomach. One of those "what were they thinking?" for me. No fun.

Go to: