catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting CE here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jan 3, 15 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 7:08:07 AM PST

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting CE here!

[Post New]by judithannegg on Jan 3, 15 3:02 AM
Gosh, I don't usually post reviews since I am late in the game, but am I really first? I have bought other versions of this series and am soooo glad you can customize difficulty! I am a hard core gamer, no hints, no skips and this is a doozy so far! It is challenging on my level, which I like, but again, you can customize it to what you like and don't like in difficulty. There are coins to find but I skipped tutorial and really didn't understand why I am buying them for my bird. Don't like having a bird to get hard to reach items. But I am the type of person that never really likes "helpers" There are also four leave clovers to find as collectibles, I think 56, which means a long game, which I like. I found one in HOS as well. And that was challenging! Okay, will keep playing and let you know if I think different, but so far so good!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jan 3, 15 4:26 AM
Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting CE

Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure

Sixth in the series:

1: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy - Jul 17, 09
2: Salem Witch Trials - Jun 12, 10
3: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's Edition - May 26, 11
4: Haunted Houdini Deluxe - Jan 28, 12
5: Witches of Abraham Collector's Edition - Sep 28, 13

Graphics crisp and clear

Gameplay was a little jerky until I removed the animated cursor option

Difficulty Levels - there are 4 including a custom level

Voiceovers clear - not the best.

Hidden Object Scenes - find by word list / shadow / interactive (watch out for collectibles because they're hidden in here to - the icon, bottom left will let you know if there is one to find)

Collectibles - throughout the game, find clovers (bottom left will let you know if there's one still to find), and coins

Your helper - black raven (and yes the coins will let you buy stuff for him/her)

Achievements - quite a few split between gold, silver and bronze ranking

Map - shows where you are and where you have things to do - transportable.

My opinion: I can't be certain, but have the devs changed for this latest instalment? It will be a buy for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 3, 15 6:22 AM
When the game started, I was immediately reminded of Sleepy Hollow (the TV series, not the film) and that was exactly where the game took me. I was not aware that the story had been written by Washington Irving but now I see why the opening sequence was so reminiscent of the TV series!

And I love this game! Really nice graphics, HOS are varied and include the now familiar collectible clovers, entertaining puzzles (which while not overly difficult were fun to complete), a map that shows objectives and transports, a helper in the form of a raven who lives in the attic of 'my' house (and for whom I can buy various items if I so wish), plenty of achievements to earn and a really interesting storyline involving Charles Dickens and other notable historical figures.

The play is fully customisable and the voices were reasonably well done. The child didn't sound like an adult trying to sound like a child and the English accent was good. This is one CE I'm not passing up on to wait for the SE; a definite buy for me

I had no technical issues playing the game. I always take off the custom cursor and had no problems with slow or jerky movements. Desktop running Win7 64bit. And I prefer the alternative collective noun 'conspiracy of ravens'. Far more in keeping with this game

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 6:29:02 AM PST

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Jan 3, 15 7:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 3, 15 7:12 AM
"THE RAVEN" IS "CAWSING" ME TO "NEVERMORE" PLAY THIS DREADFUL GAME

Ghostly occurrences are causing havoc with Dickens and Irving. These "ghostwriters " (double entendre) are creating ghosts from their characters which are springing to life from their books seeking revenge. (Their biggest revenge should be against the dev exploiting them in this game). Charles Dickens and receives an urgent letter from Washington Irving asking for help. You, as a detective arrive at Irving's home trying to unravel the mystery of the ghostly apparitions and search for the authors.

LEVELS: 4 Casual, Advanced, Expert. (3 levels have sparkles and lengthening hint and skip times). CUSTOMIZED

GRAPHICS: Grainy

SOUND OF AND/MUZAC: We are "treated" to a bizarre melody by Irving's fiancé. Earplugs anyone? Out of place?

INVENTORY: Puzzle-like and interactive.

HOP SCENES: In the demo I encountered: A. Junk piles with little interactivity and variety. They are not puzzle-like. B. Silhouette. Locate an item through its silhouette to construct and inventory item or to search for another HOP item

PUZZLES: There are more puzzles than HOP scenes and are well-done. The ones I encountered from the demo: A. Matching pairs B. Sliders C. Variation of Tangram puzzles D. Variation of jigsaw puzzles - putting pieces together to create an inventory item E. Putting books in correct order by picture and symbol G. Paint a picture H. Sequencing puzzles I. Placing items in correct locations.

EXTRA GOODIES: Bonus Section - wallpapers, music, extra games. Strategy Guide. An ugly raven helper used three times in the demo. I wanted him to fly away and allow me to play the game myself. Collect 56 shamrocks - 50 allow you to play Tic-tac-toe with your pet raven. Seriously dev? There are 8 achievements. Collect coins to purchase 8 items for a "Raven Room."

COMMENTS: My favorite series has been destroyed by this new dev. This is inferior to the previous games in this series. It is a slow moving game furthered by the addition of the helper. The storyline is confusing, rambling and disjointed The HOP scenes are repetitious. The puzzles were decent however I found the whole game boring, tedious, and poorly constructed!

I RATE THIS GAME 2 RAVENS OUT OF 5 RAVENS. IT IS MISSING 3 RAVENS TO MAKE AN "UNKINDNESS" (A GROUP OF RAVENS). HOWEVER, JUST THE ONE IS AN "UNKINDNESS" FOR ME TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 7:18:03 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 3, 15 12:04 PM
O.k. Not exactly the Midnight Mysteries we're used to, although the same let's take real literary figures and really mess around with their lives. First of all, this game does not start out in the writer's apartment in some vague city in the more or less present, which the other games did -- this begins in some kind of mansion in the country, clearly set back somewhat in the past (no computer, etc.), and no mention of previous best-sellers. The raven is now our pet, not the hint button, and it flies and fetches things for us, and the collectible coins buy it I have no idea what, I only collected them. The collectible clovers are also present and fairly obvious. As usual I only used the SG to check on collectibles, which are shown in the demo, thank you dev. I customized this game to get rid of all sparkles and no tutorial, but that's pretty much it, other than setting skip at 60 secs. I was really not buying into the game though, because it's just not Midnight Mysteries, until Washington Irving's dead, almost fiancee, burst into song, and then I just laughed, because the idea of having a song was inventive, her voice was pretty good, even if the song was rather awfully written, and I got interested in the game again after that. The plot is, well, weird (here comes Dickens to assist his friend Irving, one assumes all the way from England, unless he's still on his American speaking tour, although amazingly he travels on a paddle wheeler), and this game gives ghostwriting an entirely new meaning. I don't have a clue why Irving's house is falling down on the outside, but fairly imposing inside (with a cartoonish Santa statue in the hall), or why Dickens' daughter has a Liverpudlian accent, but at least the kid is actually English. I suspect, given the other reviews, a lot of people will hate this version of Midnight Mysteries, but I do think it has some merit, some fun value, so I may get it on sale at some point, because ultimately, it was kind of fun. Maybe there'll be more songs. lol.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 3, 15 12:24 PM
I guess I'm the odd (wo)man out, I really REALLY like this game. After reading some negative reviews, I was all set to sneer at the inferior quality of a new developer to the series, but I'm actually pretty impressed.

The piano music background to the scenes I've played so far are excellent, like something I'd listen to at work. I enjoy finding collectables so the clovers are fun. I love crows, love 'em to pieces, so having one as a pet in the game is a real treat for me. As far as helpers go, it really depends how they're presented but this is my favorite after that little scarecrow boy a few CEs back.

I like the idea of traveling through books (not original but I doubt it'll ever get old for me), I like the voices, I like the graphics very much (cut scenes aren't great though) and I thought the choice of having a character sing was odd but kind of fun. Musicals are super popular right now so it makes sense to try to please the public with some in games.

Unfortunately, there isn't another CE I want at this time so I'll probably have to wait till next weekend and hope for another sale.

Well done devs. I like it.

ETA: I went back and played more till I finished the demo at 74 minutes and gosh, that's a good game. One of the characters actually licked his lips and it freaked me the heck out. Never saw that in a game before, very realistic. Lots of fun puzzles that I've never seen before too. I might have to pay full price for this one, I don't want to wait.

ETA part 2: had to have the game, paid full (member's) price and I'm not sorry I did.

Edited on 01/04/2015 at 1:21:58 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 3, 15 12:41 PM
Hi all. Well, another addition to the Midnight Mysteries series. I already have 4 of the 5, this one making 6, (Poe's Conspiracy never worked for me). The graphics in this one are very nice and clear. Colors are true and I did not find areas that were too dark to see what I was looking for. Game play was good, except that the cursor did seem to lag and get a bit choppy when moving from one are to another. Voice overs were very good, age appropriate and had emotion without sounding like they were just reading a piece of paper. Music was nice for a change and had quite the sinister sound when needed. Yes, you have a helpful raven, who is needed now and then to reach areas you can't. Mostly, he is quiet. Cursor is quite large and I did not see where you could change it to the system cursor, but it does not get in the way of finding items.

HOPS were fun with a combination of standard and silhouettes, interactive, find this part to activate that part, and just silhouettes. I liked that they integrated the collectibles in the HOPs as well, making it a bit more challenging and the need to pay attention to what you were doing. Hint system seems a little slow on recovery and does not transport to long location, so be prepared to do a lot of back tracking. Did not care for the set up of the SG, but I seldom use that except to make sure I found all the collectibles. Also did not care for the fact that you had to open the journal in order to get to the map...just one extra, unnecessary step.

Collectibles I found are clovers (56) and they are quite easy to spot in most cases. They can be tricky, but not difficult. You also collect gold coins that you use to buy furnishing for the raven's attic home. I don't see where you can transport back to that area yet.

The one thing I truly disliked about this game was the singing. I am not into musicals at all (except Cats) and really don't care for it in my games. I found a glitch in that the hint kept telling me to return to the hallway and pointed to the sombrero, but nothing happened and couldn't access that area. That being said, I did like this game and it was challenging enough to keep me interested and wanting more, but I will wait for a fix before I purchase this one. Hopefully it will be soon, then I will buy it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Jan 3, 15 1:49 PM
Wow..what a great game to wake up to on a cold wet windy morning! Like another reviewer, i went all hardcore and unchecked everything except for enabling the ability to skip puzzles and whew, hard but loving every minute of it. What i love the most is the old school type game play option for those of us who miss challenging games. No hand holding, paint by number color maps telling you where and what to do, no sparkles or cursor changes when you scroll over things..not even a (+) on items that need something else...you are completely on your own.

Time to pull out my old dusty boots, flashlight and grab a paper and pencil and start taking notes and mapping out places of importance. I am soo excited!!! Loving everything about this game from gorgeous graphics, unique mix of hos's and a story line that is mysterious and creepy. Love having a bird in the attic and finding coins to buy him stuff as well.

Again i just can't say this enough...Thank you devs for offering difficulty levels that can be customized. I love having everything on hard except for puzzles, some i like and some i don't...so that was the only thing i set as a option to skip. Most games don't give us these kinds of options and just determine it for us...then we end up on levels that doesn't match our preferences on what makes a fun challenging game.

I only have one issue and that is the (+) showing up next to items. I had that unmarked because i don't want to be told when it needs to be combined with something. I restarted as a new user just to ensure i didn't by accident leave it marked but it's still popping up. Other then that no problems thus far with the game.

HP Laptop-Windows 8
Chrome

Edited on 01/03/2015 at 1:56:30 PM PST

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Jan 4, 15 11:38 AM
This game was so much fun. The shadow pictures were probably the most fun for me. I am all the way through the first game and going to do the Bonus game later.
I would recommend that anyone having problems with the game play to switch to the regular cursor, not the animated one.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 4, 15 1:38 PM
Well, let me start by saying this game is now in my trash bin, so that will give you an idea of what I thought of the game, not even counting all the tech problems I had with it (and I'm not alone in that - read the posts on tech problems!) I thought the story line dumb and disjointed, wasn't crazy about the graphics, and yes, I agree with the reviews about the "bursting into song". Honestly, I have never encountered that in a game unless it was about an operea singer or something. I almost laughed out loud. How ridiculous! Quite took me by surprise, actually. But even with the dumb story line, the singing, etc., I had so many tech problems that I couldn't enjoy the game even if I liked it. So, my review is a big

feenix

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jan 5, 15 9:50 AM
just finished... I enjoyed it.. no tech issues at all. There is a "break out in song" moment, but this happens only 1 time. The storyline was at times "all over the place" - had a hard time keeping up. My biggest issue... after I finished the bonus chapter I wish there was a way to go back into scenes and collect clovers that I missed. There was no where to do this.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jan 5, 15 3:30 PM
I have enjoyed all of the Midnight Mysteries, but I have to say there wasn't anything about this one I liked. I was happy to see that there was a new one but I am really sorry I bought it. Better luck next time, hopefully!

herchev68
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by herchev68 on Jan 6, 15 5:44 AM
The worst game I have ever played

azrt
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Mysteries: Ghostwriting CE here!

[Post New]by azrt on Jan 6, 15 8:12 AM
I am in the Bonus Chapter- At the place where I have to add the ladle of water to mix with cement - it won't let me add the water

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 6, 15 11:15 AM
Don't really like this Midnight Mysteries game. Have the rest and like them. Have tried to play it twice and still not to my liking. Won't be a buy for me..

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Enjoyed the "main" chapters!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jan 6, 15 6:16 PM
I had been patiently waiting for a new release. Was excited to see the Midnight Mysteries game. The main chapters did not disappoint even tho I had to overcome technical programing issues. I was let down I must admit with the bonus chapter.

All in all it was worth the play. I look forward for another game soon.

Let me say that I am getting tired of weird fantasy type games.

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

Disappointing.

[Post New]by runtotorun on Jan 7, 15 1:30 PM
I found this to be disappointing. Too much "movie" and not enough game play/action. Too jerky in spite of turning off the custom cursor. Previous games were much better than this.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jan 9, 15 2:55 AM
Thought I was going to love it....turns out I am sorry I bought it.....graphics are okay, some of the HOGS are great but I absolutely hate the shadowgraphs! maybe I just don't get them but I have to cad everytime I try to get out of them....there should be a skip button imo......those shadowgraphs wrecked the game for me!

Go to: