catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: The Endless Night Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jan 10, 15 1:42 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 01/10/2015 at 7:03:14 AM PST

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: The Endless Night CE here!

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jan 10, 15 7:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Phantasmat: The Endless Night Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Phantasmat: The Endless Night Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: The Endless Night Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Jan 10, 15 9:22 AM
I did not finish the demo yet but it will be a buy for me with the sale going on. Twinsoniclab I found some collectibles. They are in a form of an eye. I did not find others but there might be some.

Anyone knows how many chapters on this game ?

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: The Endless Night Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jan 10, 15 9:39 AM
Another game from our friends at Eipix. They've been busy little devs! This time, you are a mother who is driving her daughter to a her prom and on the way get diverted by a mysterious man standing in the road. Subsequently, you are transported back to 1965, the same year a town accident occurred, to your old high school to search for your daughter who as been taken hostage by the man from the road...

Twins is right; this isn't a horror game but rather a nice suspense game. The usual bells & whistles are here, customizable settings, collectibles (in the form of Egyptian-esque eyes), and relatively easy puzzles. The HOS are really strong, as well. A great mix of find it, use it, interact with it, lists & silhouettes, etc. Some of the best I've seen in a while.

There is also a mix of graphic & live action figures used in the game. I'm not sure why Eipix felt the need to include real people in the game, but there you have it. Also, the voice-overs are okay. The daughter is good but the mother is quite bad, in my opinion. Gameplay is also smooth; I didn't encounter any lag or oddities with the game.

My one beef with the game is in the sound effects. Every time you move your cursor to an action item, or to & from your inventory, there is this sound that plays. It's hard to describe but it's loud & ultra-frequent. And ultimately annoying. Yes, you can turn down the environment volume but doing that then takes away from the game[play]. For me, it actually puts me on the fence of buying what otherwise looks to be a good game.

As always, try the game out for yourself. Happy playing!

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jan 10, 15 9:51 AM
twinsoniclab wrote: One anachronism (there may be more, it's hard to go back in time and get it all correct!). I believe the handheld electronic calculator wasn't available in 1965.

Twins - You're right; it's hard to get all the details right. And you're also correct about the calculator. The first handheld calc wasn't invented by Texas Instruments until 1966. So, oops to the dev.

Fortunately, it's a small oversight. At least they didn't have a report on the radio about Richard Nixon being elected president (which wasn't until 1969)!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 10, 15 1:20 PM

Endless Night Revisits A Tragic Stag Party

This third entry in the Phantasmat series also involves a tragedy that happened long ago. This time it is a poison gas explosion at a cosmetic factory that killed the attendees of the Corcrest High School prom (mascot - Stags) 50 years ago.

The game opens as you are driving your daughter Aimee to her prom in the present day. Then the all-too-typical ghostly figure appears and your car crashes. When you awake, you discover you have been transported back 50 years to 1965 - and your daughter is missing. Where is she and who is behind all this?

The artwork is drawn in a old, dilapidated style to set the mood. However there is plenty of saturated color, mostly blues, greens and browns as shown in the word "Phantasmat" in the game's icon. The drawing also has a slightly grainy look, probably for the same stylistic reason. Some scenes have additional areas to zoom in so be sure to check everywhere.

Game play consists of 20 mini-games and 16 hidden object scenes. Both are varied, with the puzzles seeming easier than the HO scenes. There is a lot of back and forth, and fortunately there is a transportable map (you even get an achievement for using it). There are also some unusual tasks to perform and some objects are used in non-standard ways so keep an open mind.

There are four levels of play including a Custom, and Hint and Skip refill can be set from 10 to 120 seconds. You can also adjust or turn off the helpful glints.

This CE has 41 collectible eye symbols, strategy guide (only two chapters in trial), achievements, souvenirs, replay of HO's and puzzles and a match 3 game. There are also the usual pseudo extras.

My impression after the trial was that the game is good but the weakest part is the story, which is just another variation on the common missing child theme. However, based on the preview and the movie, there are some interesting locations so you won't be confined to an old high school the entire time.

As good as the original (which actually seemed endless)? No, but certainly worth an above average four 's

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 10, 15 1:52 PM
I bought this game today within a half hour as I hadn't seen any collectibles but knew there would be some as the devs always include them. Once I had checked out the SG I knew I had missed all of the collectibles and was upset that I could not go back into the game to collect the first one, because once you have left your wrecked car you can't go back into it.

Please devs, let us know what we are looking for in the demo.

I have read the reviews and a few people have asked about how many chapters there are. There are 6 according to the SG, plus a bonus game and the whereabouts of the collectibles.

I must admit that I am "on the shelf" so to speak as to whether this is a great game or just a good one. Sorry devs but my comment was a positive one.

I haven't posted a review for a while because of my work load, and I wanted to post one a couple of months ago in my usual format but discovered another person had nicked my one of my categories, i.e Extra Goodies and was disheartened by that so I am still trying to come up with something else. I was a fan of Just The Facts reviews, I always read his/her CE Bling posts because that's what I wanted to know about. For some unknown reason I translated the CE Bling into a French accent and thought of it as "ze bling" but I never copied him/her because that was his/hers trademark saying.

Anyway back to my review, I do like it and a couple of times I have jumped at the suspense or gone a bit shivery over something, but the things you have to do inbetween these suspense/shivery bits or let's say exciting bits, is a bit too long in my opinion because of all the "to-ing and fro-ing" and by that time you have compltely forgotten about who or what startled you earlier!.

I believe a suspense game should move on more quickly to keep up the suspense, so possibly a bit more linear.

I really liked the puzzles, not too hard, although one was very annoying and I only managed to completed it because one of my kittens decided to attack my hand, so technically he can solve puzzles as well!

I will say I loved the HOS, HOPS, HOGS, yet again too many choices for just one thing. Different, challenging and I must admit I sat here looking at the scene for about 5 minutes before I made a match.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jan 10, 15 4:08 PM
This is far removed from the original Phantasmat - which was the game that got me hooked on HOGs. It's not as good, it's not as creepy, the logic defies me (there weren't calculators available until about 1973 (I bought one for the amazingly high price back then of $75) yet one shows up in 1965?

What really annoys me is that right after the inevitable crash (certainly forgivable in a Phantasmat game) I tried doing something three times and did not succeed, then used my first hint, although loathe to do so, and guess what I was told to do? Yes, the exact same thing I had been trying to do. I guess I hadn't found that tiny spot I needed to find.

It's not from the dev of Phatasmat so that explains the difference. Is this dev going around buying up series of games? First DP and now Phantasmat? I don't like Eipix. Now I'm in a bad mood. I was unhappy when this dev slaughtered my absolute favorite series of games. Now they've gotten another favorite series.

I'm like a rudder without a ship now, floating around until I inevitably sink into an ocean of despair.

In the second HOP I couldn't click on the items fast enough. There is a significant lag and that is a problem in obtaining achievements. It also slowed me down when trying to move from one area to another. And when clicking on an object there are two comments that show up over and over and over until I wanted to scream. I also did not like the goals showing up initially and then "X-d" through when completed. When that was happening I had to stop and wait for the game to catch up with me. I know when I've completed a goal. I don't need help there.

Are they now going to ruin Phantasmat? I believe so. The music is horrendous. I don't remember it being a great part of Phantasmat but I don't remember it being so, well, irritating. Maybe it's my bad mood because of the dev. Maybe if I give it a chance and continue, the old Phantasmat will show up. Maybe that girl who won't let me into the prom without an invite will be creepy. As you can see, I'm not far into the game at all. And yet I'm just about ready to call it quits and go hide under the covers and mourn the loss of another great series (albeit short) of games.

They didn't need to call it Phantasmat. Why did they do that? Are they purposely trying to break my heart?

My decision is to pass this one by. I'm not going to even finish the demo.

Edited on 01/10/2015 at 5:13:37 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 10, 15 4:50 PM
I probably shouldn't have played this right after Love Chronicles. The industrial noises drove me absolutely CRAZY. Running water, metal on metal clanging, loud bubbling etc didn't lend for a pleasant game playing experience.

Clear graphics, pretty good story... I just found it to be really annoying for some reason. The daughter's whine made me want to inflict mild physical violence against her.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 10, 15 6:04 PM
This game is a far cry from the first "Phantasmat" game, which is still one of my top 5 favourite HOGs. It won "The Best HO game of 2011". I don't know what happened at Codeminion, the developer of the original "Phantasmat" game, but I haven't seen a new game in years, although they must still be around, since their site has been updated with the "2015 copyright" sign.

I did enjoy playing the second "Phantasmat" game, although it was also a step back from the original.

But this game is just another HOG for me, and a bore at that. Yet another derelict and abandoned building to wade through. Yet another girl is missing. I am also not too keen on the graphics. Like a couple of other developers, Eipix seem to use different types of graphics for their different games/series. And this game didn't get the best of what they have available.

KleoBeBe
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by KleoBeBe on Jan 10, 15 8:39 PM
Valdy wrote:This game is a far cry from the first "Phantasmat" game, which is still one of my top 5 favourite HOGs. It won "The Best HO game of 2011". I don't know what happened at Codeminion, the developer of the original "Phantasmat" game, but I haven't seen a new game in years, although they must still be around, since their site has been updated with the "2015 copyright" sign.

I agree, even though I have only played the demo, I feel like the creepiness is gone from the game. This is true of many games lately. I think many players want the creepiness back!

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jan 10, 15 9:35 PM
Overall, I really liked it. Even though it's the same basic story we've seen a million times, the details were unique enough to keep me interested. I was genuinely surprised by the ending. My only complaints are that the graphics weren't up to Eipix's usual standard, and one of the characters' last names (also my last name) was pronounced incorrectly. But that's just a tiny nitpick.

Edited on 01/10/2015 at 9:49:04 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 11, 15 6:04 AM
Well, I played the entire demo, although I only got interested in the game when it occurred to me that this would make a really good SE, since the only things which make this a CE are the collectible eyes, the SG, which I rarely use, and the bonus round, and I've been getting bored with most of those lately. The collectible eyes aren't that easy to spot (the demo SG doesn't show collectibles) and they're not particularly interesting. I loved the first Phantasmat, the second was okay but not as good. The color of the game is affected by Nvidia on my computer which just doesn't like Eipix much, and in this particular game that makes a difference, because everything looks more green, gold, etc. The anachronisms abound: other people have mentioned the hand calculator -- no one had those in 1965. The lockers have sliding latches on them -- imagine a school with "latches" where anyone could get into your locker -- it's why they're called lockers -- they either have built-in locks or you buy locks. The inside lobby of the school looks like a hotel; the syringe looks like something from a 1940's movie, and with U.S. voices they have a gold-colored quarter with a cross on it, huh? Mom is driving her daughter to a prom in 2015 -- Aimee has no date, apparently, but she's on the way to her prom, and Billy's asthma inhaler has a suspiciously modern look to it. But the oddest thing about the game was the deceased father, who was one of "The Best and Brightest" of the high school class of 1942, and who died in the tragedy of 1965, which the heroine still remembers, but she's driving her high school age daughter to her prom in 2015. Time has definitely unwrapped itself in this game. Ultimately, as I said, thinking of this game as an SE suddenly made it a lot more interesting than as a CE, for reasons other people have stated -- mini-games not that challenging, but some were interesting; HOP's which were varied (I didn't play the match 3, which has an icon over on the left); a lot of running around which is fine with me as the hint button works well and I customized it to refill in 30 secs. The story itself, while it didn't move forward much in the demo (and who else is really, really tired of children in jeopardy?), is rather interesting and so I guess I would recommend this game, but more as an SE, but don't expect the real Phantasmat.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 11, 15 11:22 AM
Great game.. I really enjoyed the different approach they had to this one. Games were great and story was awesome.. Give this 5 out of 5 stars..

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jan 11, 15 4:57 PM
Oh, I am definitely doing the happy dance with this game !!! The first Phantasmat is my all time favorite game. I liked the second one, and I absolutely love this one. The HOS are varied and fun. The puzzles were nothing new but I am not a big fan of puzzles, and I was able to complete these. The setting is perfect. I know many reviewers say the game was dark. I didn't notice that, however, the original Phantasmat was a very dark game. The inventory bar was annoying but I quickly learned to keep my distance from it. I loved the story line. I finished the demo with 23 minutes left to play. One thing however, is that I don't feel this is CE worthy. The eyes to collect are very hard to find and did not excite me. The achievements were of the normal game play variety. This has got to be the first game in eons that I absolutely love. Great job Eipix and ty BFG for offering it.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Jan 11, 15 7:25 PM
I bought Phantasmat the original game oh so long ago. I loved the games and puzzles. This version? I mean who is kidding whom? The first several puzzles in this game were so easy as to be almost, well, insulting. The HOP's were more interesting than the puzzles, but gosh, that is almost no achievement, considering. I try almost every adventure/HOP/Puzzle game BF puts out, but I deleted this one after finishing with 41 minutes left of the game while not skipping anything. I did play on Casual, so see for yourself, you may like it on a harder mode. I don't know what that would do to the puzzles, though.

Perhaps it gets better later on. I hope so. Happy gaming everyone!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 16, 15 6:28 AM
Due to all the other reviews, I just want to add, it was a pretty good game. The HO's were a nice change, not redundant,and not an over kill. Story line was decent and just a nice game to play.

Thanks BF and Dev's...

Ci

Edited on 01/16/2015 at 6:31:11 AM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Thanks for the rebuild!! Enjoyed the Game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jan 22, 15 8:44 PM
Nice story with loads to do.

[Post New]by dougjameshughes on Jan 23, 15 11:54 AM
This game promised many interesting features. However having played it for a while I don't think that in the many years I have been a Big Fish Games Customer have I ever come across a most stupid and mind numbingly boring game. The graphics are awful and the soundtrack pathetic. DO NOT buy or even download if you have a bit of intelligence. A truly shockingly rubbish production(do not call it a game)

leslieboyd
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by leslieboyd on Jan 24, 15 8:13 AM
Great Game! Very different and there is so much to do! Thank you devs!

Go to: