Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by iamcindybug on Nov 26, 10 9:32 AM
MCF is how i got hooked on HOG's!! They have changed alot but for the better. So far, it's been great. I just looked at the acheivements and see i have a way to go still...YEAH! I am trying to get the doll out of the machine and it keeps falling off, but that was last night, after big turkey dinner and I was exhausted so getting ready to start again...oh happy day! I just love MCF games...thanks BF!

tlight
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tlight on Nov 26, 10 9:54 AM
I love the MCF games but live action/interactive speech portions are my pet peeve. I will give this one a try regardless as the creepiness factor is what keeps me coming back for more. Wow, I wish now that I can the old standby of Gabriel Knight to play!!! I love the Jane Jensen games!

[Post New]by emeraude226 on Nov 26, 10 10:03 AM
I loved it I just found it a bit short, but I really enjoyed it. Now I just have to wait (a year) for the next one.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 26, 10 10:47 AM
i am stuck at the cannons. tried everything walk-thru said but nothing. can someone please help me??? to get this far in the game and can't proceed is very frustrating.

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Nov 26, 10 10:56 AM
I played the whole game and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was worth the asking price. However, I do have some complaints.

My biggest complaint is all the shouting at the end of the game. I don't like being shouted at! and it was very repetitive, both at the end of the game and during the bonus round. I wish the developers had cut back the frequency of the character's vocalizations in the end and the bonus round.

Second, I know what people are talking about when they complain about hand-holding. In the original games you could wander around forever, finding items that you may not use for several more scenes. Figuring out what to do with this widget or that whatsit was part of the fun of the other games. This was not possible in 13th Skull.

The developers have done something in all the games that's always really annoyed me. DO NOT RE-USE OBJECTS IN THE HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES. I remember finding them the last time I was at that location, and there's enough junk strewn around that there's no need to make me find the same object in the same location twice. STOP IT.

I also missed the morphing objects--they were fun. It would have been neat if you could play the Claw more than once.

The puzzles in this game were a little lackluster. I skipped several of them just because I didn't feel like solving yet another puzzle of that type. I miss the unique puzzles that were in RTR.

There weren't as many gratuitous interactive objects in this game. There were a few, like the rocking chair, the chain in the shed, etc. There weren't the creepy little touches like dolls' eyes that followed you, etc. Couldn't you guys have worked in some lunging gators or staring frogs or something?

Other than the shouting that I mentioned at the beginning of my post, I didn't mind the live action. I actually thought it was rather impressive how a real Cooter managed to perch quite naturally on a drawn-in couch. It was spectacular. However, Pippi annoyed the heck out of me, and I wanted to use her for gator bait.

All in all, a good game and worth the money, but not as great as the others were. I give it out of 5 stars.

[Post New]by mackaysh on Nov 26, 10 11:06 AM
I have to admit I'm disappointed. The game itself is beautifully made and very well done, but it just feels like the MCF games have evolved into something completely different than what they originally were.

I got hooked on the very first MCF because of the gorgeous and challenging hidden object scenes. There was a story line but it wasn't overwhelmingly what the game was about. There were creative and challenging puzzles but for the most part it was all about the awesome hidden object scenes.

This game seems to me to be much more of a point and click adventure game with a few hidden object areas thrown in. I love point and click games, but it's not what I look to MCF to be.

Anyway, just my personal preference. It's a beautiful game none-the-less.

[Post New]by eastcoastemmy on Nov 26, 10 11:43 AM
SO disappointed! I can't tell you how much i was looking forward to this game. All the MCF games were amazing; but Dire Grove actually had me leaving my light on at night! It was so enthralling I couldn't stop playing. After that, I expected this to follow the Ravenhearst Story or even the Dire Grove Story or tie them together. Such a bummer...

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Nov 26, 10 11:51 AM
burningswan wrote:What's missing??? Those fabulous drawn characters in the MCF series. Think Madame Fate. The use of real actors changed the look and feel of the series most of us have come to love and expect.

This was one of the reasons I didn't really hit it off with Dire Grove and now 13th Skull.

Using real life characters is not new; they were in games I played many years ago (this already mentioned by others).

I felt that, with this and DG, they were being taken in a whole different direction and lost what made the series so much fun and unique. The videos to me - whilst a requisite to complete the game, were padding, not to mention the amount of dialogue which, of course, made the game play appear much longer.

I know that some didn't like the baffling, whacky door puzzles in previous MCFs but I loved them for their off the wall humour as well as "what the heck am I supposed to do with this?" factor.

I rarely buy CEs but bought this one as I needed 3 more punches but couldn't find 3 separate SEs that I would play.

I don't feel cheated as I was prepared to pay for a CE, simply for this reason, but I feel very disappointed.

I too was so excited that perhaps, from the teasers and hype, this instalment would be more going back to what I felt MCF was all about; sadly, IMO, it wasn't.

Apart from having to reinstall because of the goblet glitch, I had no operational issues, but personally, I felt most of the puzzles weren't particularly gripping - either too easy or frustrating and they certainly didn't make me chuckle and I missed morphing objects too.

As with Dire Grove, I didn't think any of the acting was very good and the wife drove me balmy! The only laugh I got was from Vinton, who kept bobbing about because he needed the loo!

Please , I know that you want to move with the times but please make the next one more like what made me an avid fan of MCF! Beautiful drawings, more interesting H0 scenes with morphing and those darned baffling, quirky puzzles that made me laugh as well as feel I'd really achieved something when I figured out where to start with them!

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 26, 10 12:25 PM
kokoon wrote:I missed the Morphing Objects a lot, i think it was a huge step forward in DG in game but here we could collect only papers which were not hard to find. Also the amount was ridiculous comparing with the Morphing Objects in DG. And 2nd type of papers i couldn't find at all. 0/10. where?
Also many objects were under magnifying glass and looked like had some meaning finally appeared to be totally useless. Like fridge in gas station. Or moving boxes. Or china cupboard. What for?

**SPOILER BELOW!!**

The fridge in the gas station is actually interactive. You should have gotten an item from an HOG during the bonus gameplay that allows you to get the item out of that freezer. Remember what you said about not finding any of the golden crown insignias?

[Post New]by Usakiwi on Nov 26, 10 12:35 PM
Awesome ! Waited for all these months and am not dissapointed didn't do the trail version that I normally do - straight into it. Am trying to pace myself so I fully enjoy for as long as I can. Had a little difficulty downloading it stopped halfway through and then started the download from the beginning again. No problems so far. Happy Gaming guys. Only 13.99 in Australia and worth every penny, would not want to wait for the regular version.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Nov 26, 10 12:36 PM
After completing the game and thinking about it for a day, I've come to the conclusion it is a GOOD game, but not a great one. Here's my reasons:

GREAT:
Beautiful Artwork literally dripping with atmosphere.
Puzzles that get progressively more difficult as the game moves along.
Clear well-drawn hidden-object scenes. Some say they are jumbled, but in the context of the story, each one works with very few out-of-place objects.

GOOD:

Interesting places to explore. Not intriguing as past MCF, but still interesting.
Music was unobtrusive. Actually, left me wanting more.
Character interaction. I liked it!

FRUSTRATING:

Less attention to detail showed in a few places with this game, example: HOG scene where I'm searching for PISTOL and a water pistol and real piston are both shown (the water pistol was unclickable).
Poor acting. Especially the family members. Locals were better done. The final scene is worse than a 1970's b-movie. I really liked the acting in DG.
Floaty cursor. De-selecting "Custom Cursor" not an option because regular cursor doesn't allow you to move between rooms.
Inability to hide the Objective window the same way inventory can be hidden.
Why is Darth Vader breathing after every correct HOG item I click? Good grief this got irritating.
I'm decently certain from now on BFG will beta the ENTIRE game to many more users in order to catch glitches and problems. 'Nuff said.

SADDENING:
I missed the sense of fun and those "ah ha!" moments I've had in other MCF games. There's a few little in-jokes, funny product names and some character humor that made me smile, but nothing that made me laugh or even grin.
I'm sure the In-Game walkthrough was not included for the beta testers, or they would have raised a stink. Although a neat design, it only covers hidden objects and not puzzles. The blog walkthrough is wonderful and SHOULD replace the in-game one.
Inability to hide the Objective window the same way inventory can be hidden.
Not spooky or creepy at all, unless you include plunging toilets on your creepy list.

JUST PLAIN BAD

Nothing. I didn't find anything in the game so poorly done that I would consider it terrible or bad. It's not a bad game, just not a great one.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Nov 26, 10 12:45 PM
Carole22759 wrote:Just an observation of some of the very negative reviews I've read. Sometimes the anticipation and mind-image of something can be so great that when we finally receive it, we experience a feeling of great disappointment. How can anything ever live up to our imagination and expectation; believed to be exceptional in every way? You will always be disappointed.

I don't think I have unrealistic expectations. It's listed as a hidden object game and by the point I'm at I've encountered less than a half dozen hidden object scenes in at least a dozen locations. I had trouble with DG but at least everywhere you went (at least the first time there) you had a hidden object scene. This is a large file adventure. If that's what MCF is becomeing then they need to move them out of the Hidden Object games tab and into Large File.

[Post New]by saribird on Nov 26, 10 12:45 PM
with this many comments and even more to come I don't know if anyone will read this but still....

I want to say that I love MCF. i loved the idea of the southern atmosphere, the dialect and environment. most of the actors did a great job and the art design was just beautiful.

still I want to express 3 things I did not really like:
POSSIBLE SPOILER
1) it was too easy !! there was almost no brooding about what to do next. the only time when I really had to think what to do was with the bird cage, because the objective didn't say "find birdcage" I had just gotten used to following the objectives and realized how much fun is missing cause you're not finding it out on your own.

2) the bug, i know.... **** happens. but it really it ruined the game for me. because in the older mcf versions it was common to find a szenario like this, being stuck and searching the game over and over until you finally find the missing clue to be able to continue. I don't like using the walkthrough easily or consult the forums. so you can understand my level of frustration when i found out, it's not cause i missed something but it was a bug. after that i consulted the walkthrough so much quicker, being anxious to waste time to another bug the fun was pretty much gone after that.

3) it was not scary enough. i remember having trouble to sleep after dire grove because of the tension during the game 13th skull gave me the impression of the family version of a MCF game.

however, i will be counting the days until next year. MCF is still the best of its genre here

Oaktown1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Oaktown1 on Nov 26, 10 1:05 PM
I've found the last coin (I think) on the swamp path by using the metal detector. However, my shovel won't dig it up. Am I doing something incorrectly?

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Nov 26, 10 1:43 PM
I just have to jump in here to add my comments. I've only played about 2 hours, so I have a long way to go. But I love the game. I think the beginning was a little slow, to set the storyline, but after all the initial dialog the game is moving right along. I love the puzzles - challenging, and a little different. I think the game needs to be played beyond the demo to get a good idea of what it's like.

I'm loving it so far. I've just gotten to the wine cellar puzzle.

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Nov 26, 10 2:40 PM
I've just started this game...am playing slowly and looking around to savour the experience of being in such a magnificently drawn world. I have not seen artwork remotely of this quality on any game I've played. It is just so beautiful, detailed, carefully done...I could be looking at fine art not a popular game. Thank you for that.

I don't have any comments on the actual gameplay yet, am still "taking in my surroundings" in the world you've created.

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 2:41:41 PM PST

[Post New]by passionfleur on Nov 26, 10 2:44 PM
I purchased the game right away. I don't particularly like it. I try not to use the blogs and walkthroughs but the last puzzle with the map...I just don't get it. The blog was not any help at all. So, at this point I'm stuck. Definitely my least favorite MCF game.

[Post New]by squishedfairy on Nov 26, 10 3:02 PM
I finished the game last night. I only had to skip 3 puzzles because after 30 minutes on them I was frustrated, but I will eventually work them out. This is truly not one of their best games. I felt it had been "dumbed" down after playing RTR & DG. The fact that the game gave you objectives and told you what to do to move on took away certain elements that made the game fun.

I really wasn't expecting the sudden twist in the story but I will agree the acting was pretty lame. The ending was pretty lame too- jury still out on which ending was lamer DG or this one.

It was still a good game just not one of the better ones. I still like Posey better than Phineas for Crown

bellezado
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by bellezado on Nov 26, 10 3:14 PM
I just finished it and I really enjoyed it. I still have the same one complaint - I so desire to see the humor and colorfulness that was last present in Madame Fate and the games before it by MCF. RTR, Dire Grove, and now 13th Skull, all have been too creepy, serious, and drab-colored for my personal taste.

Interesting mini-games would be great, like in Ravenhearst. Oh, and "Find 20 of the same thing," like in Madame Fate, is always fun.

Still, I won't lie - I enjoyed them all. I just won't play them twice or more like I did Madame Fate and older games.

[Post New]by Madame_Fate on Nov 26, 10 3:22 PM
I have been an MCF game fanatic since the first time I played Huntsville. Huntsville was different and was very well put together. I still like to play it every once in a while even though I have most of the object placement memorized. I have loved/liked every MCF game until now. 13th Skull lacks almost everything that previous games had: adventure, interesting puzzles, good music, although the graphics are spectacular.

I am not just trying to just be negative here, but 13th Skull was very disappointing. Being told where to go and what to do every step of the way was not fun at all. That was the best part of RTR, getting to explore on your own, making mistakes, going around in circles and then finally figuring it out. In 13th Skull. you can't pick up items until they are "triggered" in the game. Running around collecting items on a list is just not interesting. The last chapter was moderately interesting because we finally meet Crown, but even that is lacking any real challenge.

I was hopeful that the puzzles would be more interesting, not just mostly variations of sliding tile puzzles. There are a few that are different, none are nearly as much fun as the puzzles in Ravenhearst, Madame Fate and RTR.

Madame Fate is a brilliant game, even though there is no adventure component., because of the music, background sounds, fabulous **** scenes, and great characterizations of the carny folk. There is so much to look at on each screen, and the morphing objects are a nice touch. Then there are the fabulous puzzles that are like no others. Some are easier, some harder, but they were never boring.
The music and ambient sounds in MF are perfect--they really convey the feeling that you are in a creepy carnival. The music in 13th Skull is not the least bit eerie or creepy. Music really sets the tone for a game, and twanging Southern music just didn't do it for me (yes, I realize it is set in Louisiana).

I have played 13th Skull all the way through, and I don't think I will play it again. Maybe if the Objectives can be turned off I would reconsider. I am still a solid MCF fan, and Big Fish is the only place I get my games.

BTW, whatever happened to the voice heard on the phone in the secret room in DG:

"Ze man with ze inky bird az been very busy in ze dark."

PLEASE continue the Ravenhearst series!!!

Go to: