bfgFlounder
9,498 Posts

Welcome to Governor of Poker forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 27, 08 11:00 PM
Welcome to Governor of Poker forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Governor of Poker players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

Re:Welcome to Governor of Poker forum

[Post New]by thunderbirdtg3 on Sep 1, 08 11:44 AM
I too am having a rough time with this game,i am a fair to good poker player but can't advance. they made this game too difficult.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,388 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Sep 2, 08 10:09 PM
I agree - it's frustrating! I think my biggest frustration is that none of the "hints" you receive with your prize coins actually work. "Steamed" players do not make mistakes, the person with the town name isn't the best player (often as not), etc.

I'm doing so/so - I've bought the first town & am into the second - but I'm getting my hiney kicked now.

It's more about the strategy of THIS game than actual poker strategy *sigh* - of course 99.9% of poker is reading your opponents and hiding your own tells, just not possible in video poker (well - again theoretically there should be some "tells" but they just aren't panning out as the game says they will).

Hrm - didn't know you could get refunds - I should know better! I'm not 100% that's what I want to do - but it's food for thought with this game.

WebWench
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by WebWench on Sep 2, 08 11:43 PM
I've noticed that if I don't play this for a few days, when I open it, I've lost all prior progress and have to start over again.

Anyone else noticing this?

... not that it really matters much, I've never gotten past owning a couple of properties in the second town. LOL I have to agree, this one's really tough, yet I keep going back to it anyway!

[Post New]by Psyoper83 on Sep 3, 08 2:11 AM
I've only gotten to owning 3 towns. It's really difficult for me to progress as well. I've pretty much given up on this game. When I played the one hour trial. It seemed like it was going to be a fun game to play. I've noticed the same thing when it says another player is "Steamed" or on "Tilt". I'm a poker dealer in real life and I play poker a lot when I'm not working. I don't consider myself that bad of a player. If they give refunds when you dislike a game. How do I go about requesting one then?

I have a couple other problems with this program and the way it was designed as well. When the flop is out, you are not raising when no one has bet the flop. I know that seems small to some of you, but it's actually a bet, not a raise. I think it would be better off as well if you could just type in what you want to bet or raise to instead of moving the slider to the amount. I try to raise at times and instead it ends up doing something other than raising like just calling or checking. I thought maybe I just clicked the wrong button, but I don't seem to be the only one having this problem.

Edited on 09/03/2008 at 3:44:56 AM PST

[Post New]by ejrm1978 on Sep 8, 08 9:17 PM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's Poker and Poker is about stratigy. Learning when to bet and how much is how you play the game. Winning is all about luck. What I do is watch how the computer plays. I can then figure out who is bluffing. Just give it a try.

calisews
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by calisews on Oct 11, 08 1:13 PM
For someone that enjoys card games, poke in particular, this is a great game. The graphics are great as well.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Oct 11, 08 1:23 PM
Got through this twice, and still enjoy playing it.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Dec 26, 08 5:52 AM
markoelio wrote:How can I pass the game to another PC keeping my old profile?

Sent you a PM

[Post New]by Chrumo on Jan 1, 09 8:23 AM
What is the difference in playing on a hard level than easy or medium? Does it make any changes in system of AI playing? Or does it only give you more cash on start?

Gaming problem

[Post New]by SirDancelot on Jan 18, 09 3:20 AM
Hi,

i love the game but now i got stucked, ive earned 6922$ and it's day 629, but in every town it is dark and there is no pokergame to play in each of the city's i can go to...
When i click on next day, nothing happens.
Does anyone know what to do ?

Edited on 01/18/2009 at 3:25:46 AM PST

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Jan 18, 09 5:47 AM
Hi SirDancelot, This happened to me, and I thought it must be the number of days, anyway I had to start again under a different name and it worked ok, trouble is you lose all you money , towns etc.
You could always ask Customer Service for help.

[Post New]by SirDancelot on Jan 19, 09 9:06 AM
Thx Anniejo,
i tried to raise my money by clicking the next day without playing any pokergames.
But now i'm more expierenced and will have to start again, let's hope we win more games now.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,925 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Feb 10, 09 12:11 PM
I just bought this game, and I am about ready to kill, the guy and steal the darn horse. Is it just me, or is this game stupid hard? I played the free version and I won every time. Does anyone know if there is an updated version? Are there any tips, or tricks, on how to get from one damn town to the next. I am about to go postal. Thank You

[Post New]by momspasstime on Mar 7, 09 4:58 PM
I don't have a problem with the game being hard...I like the challenge...but i do not want to purchase the game if the save issue has not been fixed....I dont mind starting over in a town I lost in,but do not want to start over just because I got tired and wanted to quit for a while..anyone know if they fixied it or not?

2d0r
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by 2d0r on Mar 8, 09 5:54 PM
hey guys! can't figure out how u are having a hard time, im in the 16th day and i'm on my way to owning all 3rd level towns(san antonio, meridian, and the other one, cant remember) just wanted to ask u guys if someone has actually collected all coins cause i am missing about 5

Small guide I learned from other

[Post New]by jonnyofield on Apr 6, 09 5:37 PM
hey i learned a good way to get far....first of all in easy lvl...buy 2-3 buildings....then go to the local games...if you have a good hand starting out then bid,but if you've got a bad hand starting out flop. Also if your small or big blind and don't have a good hand just keep it going until someone makes a massive bet then pull out.

Keep doing this until you've got around 300-500 then leave.

Personally I try to keep this concept going for all the tournments too. Though without the leaving part. leaving= failure

I learned this from another and it works really well. Also for the first big guy.you know the one you get horse from. just keep bluffin....and show your cards only when you've got something good. For he's a conservative player and 8/10 times you can bluff him when its just you and him.

Also this works in the second towns too,though not sure about the boss guys there.

Edited on 04/06/2009 at 5:47:26 PM PST

[Post New]by mortensd on Apr 11, 09 2:32 PM
Chrumo wrote:What is the difference in playing on a hard level than easy or medium? Does it make any changes in system of AI playing? Or does it only give you more cash on start?

I've beaten the easy setting rather quickly. The poker wasn't too hard. It seems that there are two main differences with medium and easy; you actually have to play smart and the computer won't fold rags. First, if there is an over card on the board (say, an ace) and you have a pocket king and king on the flop, you have to recognize that a bet (usually) represents a hole ace and fold. Obviously there are bluffs involved, but that holds for most situations. You pretty much have to play good cards on the medium setting, high pairs, aces, suits over 9.

Secondly, and most frustratingly, you can't seem to bet the computer off terrible hands that inevitably hit on the river. I have lost straights, three of a kinds, and two pairs to a computer player that stays in with a 5x blind bet on jack high, only to hit on turns and river. That just wouldn't happen in real poker (bet-wise, not odds wise). Also, I've lost to pocket aces about 5 times now in the maybe 100 hands I've played on medium. Odds on pocket aces are well over 200 to 1. So the bad beats are increased tremendously on the medium setting, which is frustrating.*

Everything else is pretty straightforward. The poker is actually better at medium, you just have to play smarter. Don't chase cards. And its easier to bluff in the cash games.

*my trip kings just got beat by 4 tens on the river.

Edited on 04/11/2009 at 5:19:00 PM PST

[Post New]by gopsuger on Apr 17, 09 1:45 PM
THIS GAME IS DEFINITELY RIGGED AND HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH REAL POKER, it has been fun though and quite addicting and I found it challenging playing a fixed game.
For exampleI in San Saba I got several flushes, full houses and even several four of a kind I have finished 1'st over 10 times, now I have played myself thrue the whole game owning the whole of Texas and played a lot of tournaments in the last 3 cities and it is remarkably obvious that they fixed the dealing, during 5 tournaments in a row in El Paso I never had a pair over 10 or better and never finished better than 3'rd, no matter city or how high the buy-ins are it is supposed to be left to chance which cards that comes up on the table or being delt.
During several tournaments I folded until the Blinds took it all and looking at the cards coming up at the table none of my hands would have made it.
Many times I have gone All-In before the Flop with Ace-Ace and AI has followed with crap like 5, 8 and got lucky on the turn and river far too many times.
And one unreal characteristics is AI going in big or All-In with bottom pairs even with Kings and Aces on the Flop, its like the gamemaker programmed a pair being the best hand ever however low?!?
I can understand that a game is by tradition supposed to get harder but doing that with poker which is supposed to be a game of chance just kills the the sense of reality, it doesn't matter how good a player you are if you keep getting crap cards that never hit, no one gets better at poker by playing this but its kind of fun with the graphics and all.
SO DON'T BUY GOVERNOR OF POKER IF YOU WANT TO LEARN THE GAME, PLAY FREE-ROLLS INSTEAD.

PS. I played the Hard-level DS.

Edited on 04/17/2009 at 1:48:39 PM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,925 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Apr 29, 09 2:03 PM
What I have done to win is go all in on the first couple of hands. You narrow the playing field and you can get a good pot to get yourself started. You are right it is a joke. I don't know how they expect you to win anything, with the amount of money they give you to play with. Also if you hit the next day over and over you can get enough money to keep playing. Hope this helps.

Go to: