bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

Tips and Tricks for World Mosaics

[Post New]by bfgErie on Jul 28, 08 10:23 AM
Look for Patterns – Some of the boards are mirror images of itself. So if you solve one side of the board, the other side is easy. Be on the lookout for subtle variations though, sometimes each side will have slight changes in the pattern.

Take a Screenshot – Each board only allows a set number of mistake, once you reach that number, you will have the start the board all over again. If you are down to your last mistake, you may want to take a screenshot of the board that you can refer back to if you have to start again.

Dig Holes – If you are stuck, try digging holes around the tiles you know are correct. You can either switch between the shovel and the brush tools on the lower right side or you can right click to use the shovel.

Start with the Edges and Larger Numbers – Getting started is the hardest part of each board. Look for the larger numbers and work on those first. Also, try to solve the corners and the edges of the board and work your way towards the middle.

These are just a few suggestions that will help with World Mosaics. If you have any general tips to share, please post them here

lgill44
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:Tips and Tricks for World Mosaics

[Post New]by lgill44 on Aug 27, 08 6:20 PM
i dont know but i will tell u as soon as i find out

Re:Tips and Tricks for World Mosaics

[Post New]by skycat on Aug 30, 08 4:46 PM
On your keyboard hit your ctrl key and print screen. Then paste the image into paint.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Tips and Tricks for World Mosaics

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 6, 10 10:29 PM
Middles. There's one method that I temporarily failed to apply, and then realized was essential: Fill in all the squares in a row or column that HAVE to be marked no matter what.

For instance, if a number is more than half of the total, at least one square must be filled. 8 out of 15, the middle box. 9 out of 15, the middle 3, And so on.

Also-Rans. Another slightly less than obvious method is to mark off spaces that can't possibly be filled. For instance, if the first number for a row is 2 or more, and you've got its 1st and 3rd boxes blacked out, you also black out the 2nd box.

Digging Holes. As bfgErie implies, mark before and after every boxes where they're established, one way or another. For instance, If a box HAS to be one of the 1s in a column, mark before and after it. I keep being surprised how a single black mark in a column makes the structure of a row obvious, and vice versa.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Oct 7, 10 7:57 AM
Middles Again

More specifically: Add up the total of marks AND holes that will be occupied and subtract it from the total number of available spaces in the row (or column). If there is any number in the string great than that remainder, you can mark at least one box in that row.

For example: A 15-space row is labeled 1 6 1, for a total of 10 (8 marks + 2 holes). 15 - 10 = 5. 6 > 5.

My method of finding the appropriate box(es) to mark is this:

Count in 5 spaces (the remainder).

Count another space for the 1 and yet another space for the hole after it. (1 < 5, so you can't make any marks for the string of 1).

Mark a single space (6 - 5).

A lot of trouble for a single mark? Well ... do you want all the possible data for the logic puzzle or don't you?

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 2, 11 9:53 PM
Something I've learned since the preceding posts.

Besides the highly mechanical methods described above, there are others. And a less mechanical one is often necessary in the harder puzzles. Let me give examples.

Mechanicals

If you have one or more tiles located in a line or column with only one number in its label, count how far that number can stretch from where the tile is and chisel out the rest. For instance, if you have 2 tiles next to each other in a column or row that's labeled 5, you can chisel out all but 8 spaces, 3 on each side of (or above & below) the pair.

If you have a tile near the edge, figure if there's a space that can't be filled. For instance, if the last number in a set is 2, and there's a tile 3 in from the edge, the space immediately against the edge can't be tiled and you can chisel it out. (Think about this and it should come clear; if it doesn't, you may not enjoy this series of puzzles.)

Less Mechanical

You've got a line with a stretch of 4 blanks and another of 3. The remaining numbers are 1 1 2. You can't tell where the first two singletons go, but you know they both have to go in the long stretch, and that the 2 has to go somewhere in the shorter stretch, because you can't fit 1&2 into 3 (w/ a space between) and you can't fit 1&1&2 into 4. So you fill in the middle square in the stretch of 3.

comcruiser
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Tips and Tricks for World Mosaics

[Post New]by comcruiser on Oct 19, 11 10:15 PM
bfgErie wrote:Look for Patterns – Some of the boards are mirror images of itself. So if you solve one side of the board, the other side is easy. Be on the lookout for subtle variations though, sometimes each side will have slight changes in the pattern.

Take a Screenshot – Each board only allows a set number of mistake, once you reach that number, you will have the start the board all over again. If you are down to your last mistake, you may want to take a screenshot of the board that you can refer back to if you have to start again.

Dig Holes – If you are stuck, try digging holes around the tiles you know are correct. You can either switch between the shovel and the brush tools on the lower right side or you can right click to use the shovel.

Start with the Edges and Larger Numbers – Getting started is the hardest part of each board. Look for the larger numbers and work on those first. Also, try to solve the corners and the edges of the board and work your way towards the middle.

These are just a few suggestions that will help with World Mosaics. If you have any general tips to share, please post them here

Go to: