DiDi212
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

Review 2015

[Post New]by DiDi212 on Jan 19, 15 10:47 AM
Since the regular review section is locked, I've added a new post for a review.
I'm baffled by the 20 negative reviews. I also noticed they said the map was useless and the hint button didn't always work. Please note I don't agree.

Based on completion of the demo, I liked it. You can tell English is not the developers first language so there are some grammatical issues, but nothing I couldn't get past.

This game is a little dark, both visually and in story line. A young girl has been kidnapped by a small boy while walking in the park with her mother. So the adventure begins. I played in the casual mode.

There are voice overs; an interactive "jump" map which shows where to go for action; the inventory does't lock (I hate that); the hint works outside the HOS and recharges quickly; skip button also recharges quickly.

The ratio of HOS to puzzles is about even. I didn't encounter a click penalty and I did poke around in the HOS as they are rather dark and some objects are very hard to find, but that's the way I like them. IMO, what's the use of having an easy HOS where you finish it in under a minute. I like to "chew" on mine a while and get the full flavor LOL.

This is the DOD so I'm purchasing it. I'll review this game after I've completed it. But if I had to rate it right now I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. If any of you have ever read any of my reviews, you know I have left my lions share of negative (1-2 stars). Although this game doesn't have all the glitz and glam of today's games, it's still a fun game to play IMHO.

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Review 2015

[Post New]by alowan on Jan 19, 15 4:27 PM
I found this game so bad that I quit shortly into the demo, before I got to the gate. This is unusual for me; I usually go to the end in hopes the game will improve. (And when I went to the game page to get into the forum, I saw that it showed two stars – and around 50 reviewers! I should have known better…) Note: I played the medium level.

Technical stuff:
If you clicked on anything that brought up a window, you had to click on the X to get out. That's bad enough in general, but when you have poor manual dexterity like me, it makes it difficult to play.

It does have a jump map, which has something I kind of like, which is that you have to click on the shoe (that tells you where you are) to get back to the scene. I like it, because that's how I usually react first. But it doesn't even have an x to turn it off, or the ability to click outside.

It does have voiceovers - bad ones. The acting talent is level with 3rd grade, I think. I turned "voice" down to zero, but still got them in cutscenes. So I pulled out my earbuds even before I quit. I had no reaction to the music, so I will label it "mediocre."

What the graphics reminded me of most were comic books. Not as good as some, but not as bad as others. But comic book art really doesn't belong in a game.

Game play:
I found the game to be clunky, and so obvious that the village idiot could play it. For the short time I played, the only options available were exactly what I needed. (Can't go anywhere from the car except towards the castle, etc.) Perhaps I didn't play long enough to see it improve. After all, the first few scenes are usually written with the tutorial in mind.

That village idiot above needs extraordinarily good vision; the HOS are too dark, and the lists give no indications when some action is required. I don't have much of a problem with tiny objects as long as they are well drawn. These are.

When I came across the wolf puppy with a thorn in its paw, I was amazed that I couldn't just pull it out. I said to myself, “I bet I need tweezers!” Indeed I did. I bet that if Mom comes across fallen leaves or spiderwebs, she'll have to find a tool to clean them up. Naturally! A woman desperately looking for her kidnapped daughter wouldn't want to get her hands dirty! (Sarcasm mode off.)

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

Re:Review 2015

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Jan 20, 15 9:09 AM
Hi DiDi212 and alowan,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your reviews for this game.

Since the previous review thread was automatically locked due to inactivity, I did go ahead and created a new review thread here:

Please post your REVIEWS for Midnight Macabre: Mystery of the Elephant here!

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread in order to keep things tidy. Since I'm unable to do it for you, I'd definitely encourage you to re-post your reviews in the thread above so that others can benefit from reading them.

Cheers,

bfgWaimea

Go to: