More Witches...Please Stop!

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Jan 25, 15 12:17 PM
Many Christians believe witches are a poor subject for games. Developers, pls us "made up" bad guys. Witches exist. They generally do not support God. Yes, you say, there are good & bad witches. But why alienate gamers with something that (in USA) is considered bad. Laugh if you must. But Evil exists..I don't like games w/Occult; Ouija boards; Witches.

Game developers are using the same old evil aggressor.

I challenge Game Developers to become more creative in creating the villains. We need to see new ideas for more fun. Thanks for listening. I KNOW many will not agree, but born again Christians are all over...you would be surprised!!! Let's have some angels become the heroes.

Re:More Witches...Please Stop!

[Post New]by Dark_Promise on Jan 25, 15 6:13 PM
More Witches... Keep them COMING!

MANY people are not Christian of any kind. Some follow other religions, some are "none of the above". Many of us enjoy witches, vamps, occult, Ouija, alchemy, ghosts and the like. They keep making them so there is an obvious market. I suggest you vote with your dollars like the rest of us.

troischats
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by troischats on Jan 25, 15 6:54 PM
I have to say I agree with Dark_Promise. In "real life" I am as tame a person as it gets. But as far as my games are concerned, the darker the better. Because they're just games. They're not real. They don't subvert my morals, or tempt me to 'the dark side'. They're just entertainment, a few hours of escapism. And besides, doesn't the "evil" normally get overcome by the hero in these games? The "baddies" get taken out by the "goodies"? Surely that's a good message? Big Fish , and its developers, have always been non-partisan, and the day that changes is the day I will look elsewhere for my games.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jan 26, 15 1:00 AM
Well said, Dark_Promise and troischats.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 26, 15 2:28 AM
This game is not just sold in the US, although quite a few gamers from the US seem to think that all gamers reside there.

Personally, it doesn't bother me whether witches, tarot cards, ghosts or vampires are part of the game.

However, when I started the game, I did think: "oh no... not another story with a witch in it". I have nothing against the use of witches, but it gets old - like the car crashes you see in many games right at the start. That's the only reason I didn't care for it.
Some developers don't seem to have a lot of imagination or perhaps it's all used up, and now they can't think of anything really new to add.

Edited on 01/26/2015 at 2:28:44 AM PST

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Feb 3, 15 11:27 AM
OnWisconsin wrote: Many Christians believe witches are a poor subject for games. Developers, pls us "made up" bad guys. Witches exist. They generally do not support God. Yes, you say, there are good & bad witches. But why alienate gamers with something that (in USA) is considered bad. Laugh if you must. But Evil exists..I don't like games w/Occult; Ouija boards; Witches.

I challenge Game Developers to become more creative in creating the villains. We need to see new ideas for more fun. Thanks for listening. I KNOW many will not agree, but born again Christians are all over...you would be surprised!!! Let's have some angels become the heroes.

I got dinged by *edit [the Powers That Be] end edit* for having the temerity to instruct another poster on the issue of religious intolerance already, but I am going to give it another go. I do not appreciate you calling witches "bad guys", "Evil", "the same old evil aggressor". Yes, born again Christians are all over. But guess what? The US was founded on Freedom of Religion. That means Freedom of ALL Religions, NOT just the one that YOU espouse. And the US is FULL of people of LOTS of other faiths than Christian. In fact, Christians make up LESS THAN 1/3 of the population of the US. So, you don't like games with "Occult, Ouija boards, Witches"? DON'T BUY THEM! But QUIT trying to dictate what others are allowed to play and believe.

Firehorse
A proud Witch

Edited on 02/11/2015 at 3:32:45 PM PST

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Feb 3, 15 12:10 PM
G'day,

I wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the feedback about the subject of this, and other games on the site.

Let me assure you that this is the type of feedback that we pass along to the teams that work closely with the developers as we know it is important to our users that we have a wide variety of games covering a range of characters, settings and story lines.

As long as this conversation continues to be constructive, polite and related to Mystery Tales: The Twilight World Collector's Edition, I am happy to see it continue.

If this conversation veers off track, as can happen when conversations turn to topics in which people have personal investment, or falls outside of the Forum Rules we will go ahead and lock the thread.

Again, thank you for the feedback and for the manner in which this conversation has been conducted, we truly appreciate it.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Mopface
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Mopface on Feb 6, 15 4:17 PM
I say, "More Witches and Occult/Supernatural type themes, PLEASE!"

Blessed Be!

acter
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by acter on Feb 18, 15 3:55 AM
OnWisconsin wrote: Many Christians believe witches are a poor subject for games. Developers, pls us "made up" bad guys. Witches exist. They generally do not support God. Yes, you say, there are good & bad witches. But why alienate gamers with something that (in USA) is considered bad. Laugh if you must. But Evil exists..I don't like games w/Occult; Ouija boards; Witches.

While I will fight for your right to speak your religion and your mind, I have to say, your post confused me. If you think witches are bad or evil, then doesn't that make them the ideal "bad guys who need to be beaten"?

Personally, I know a lot of Wiccans who are kinder than a lot of other people, and kind of feel bad that they always have to remind folks that the way witches are depicted in fiction and games is not really they way they are.

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Feb 19, 15 2:15 AM
Personally, I know a lot of Wiccans who are kinder than a lot of other people, and kind of feel bad that they always have to remind folks that the way witches are depicted in fiction and games is not really they way they are.

Thank you, acter! I am not personally Wiccan. I am Eclectic Pagan. But I appreciate the consideration you affording those of us who are non-Abrahamic faithed, i.e. the "big 3" - Jewish, Christian and Muslim. And you are right, we do get tired of always being depicted the way that Hollywood and games depict us. It is annoying and tiring. And frankly, when you get right down to it, it is Religious Discrimination. If Hollywood or gaming companies were to do that to Christians - depict them all as "bad", "Evil", "the same old evil aggressors" the world would be up in arms. So why, here in the US, where Religious Freedom is part of the Constitution is this allowed to continue? I do not expect you, acter, to have the answers, just providing food for thought to hopefully crack open some closed minds.

Firehorse

Go to: