Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVEIWS for Frankenstein: Master of Death here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 26, 15 12:34 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/26/2015 at 7:26:17 AM PST

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re:Please post your REVEIWS for Frankenstein: Master of Death here.

[Post New]by roaming on Jan 26, 15 1:39 AM
The graphics and colors aren't too bad, actually, except where Elizabeth was passed out on the sofa, stiff as a board. Maybe she was supposed to be stiff like that.

There are two modes of play, very easy and tortuously difficult. I played the demo on very easy. In very easy mode, the puzzles are, naturally, very easy, and the hints and skips are available immediately.

The inventory bar does lock open, but you have to do something with a GUI, whatever that is, and that apparently locks all the tools in the on position, including the inventory. Or you can do something different with the GUI, and I imagine you would then get the opposite effect.

There is a map, but when I clicked on it, it showed that all the locations had already been completed and no locations had anything left to do, so I guess you're on your own there.

If BFG gave me this game for my birthday, I might politely say thank you and re-wrap it for a white elephant gift exchange, because you never know. Someone else might actually like it.

PS: Forgot to mention the HOS. If you click on the hint button inside an HOS, all the buttons at the top of the screen jump up and down, but you don't get an actual hint showing you where the object is. Why they do that, I cannot fathom. Also, some of the objects are at the top of the screen, and when you click on one of those, the buttons will jump up and down again. You have to very carefully click on the very lowest spot on that object in order to collect it.

Edited on 01/26/2015 at 1:58:30 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 26, 15 6:41 AM
I was fortunate to have played the full game a few months ago in its almost finished form.

Here is Part 1 of the feedback I gave the developers at that time. The first part of each section is based on a trial-length beta, and the full version comments follow:

Overall impressions
I found the story interesting, even though it was familiar, and I liked how it was told a little at a time via the diary. The voice acting was really only one person, but it was well done as far as it went. The scenes were well drawn overall, and the decrepit style suited the story, but they could have had more detail added. It seemed like there was little additional in most the scenes besides what was needed. On the other hand, the cut scenes were very good with plenty of detail and very realistic animations, especially the rat (this could disturb some people). But the tiger looked a little flat and could have used some more texture.
### Full version: The cut scenes were very good throughout the game. Great job with these. The quality of the drawing was high throughout as well and seemed more detailed as the game progressed. The tiger looked better this time. The quality of the all voice acting was good.

Navigation:
I noticed that after zooming in on areas, the windows did not close automatically. Most of us expect windows to close after completing the task or collecting the item. As for the map, during my testing it did not indicate areas of interest even though there was a legend that showed that it could.
### Full version: the window closing issue seemed resolved. However, sometimes it was difficult to get the Back arrow to appear. Many times I had to go to the lower right corner for the Back arrow instead. As for the map, it showed areas I could navigate to, but not necessarily where there is an action to complete. Also, more importantly, the map has to be “scrolled” using your mouse to drag it to show areas that are off screen. I just finished a game (MCF Sacred Grove) where the map is broken into screens and an arrow is used to go from screen to screen (better). It’s probably too late, but next time…?

continued...

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 26, 15 6:44 AM
Part 2 of 3

Difficulty settings
I played the demo twice, once on each difficulty setting, however I did not notice any difference between the two. Also, I declined the tutorial in the beginning, but was presented with the help anyway.
### Full version: I again played on both difficulty settings. The only difference noted was in one puzzle, the tangram one, where it did not “spot” me any pieces. Again I declined the tutorial, but saw it anyway.

Music
The music did a good job of setting the mood of the story and I liked that it was not repetitive.
### Full version: the music was excellent throughout the game, fitting exactly to the mood and environment. Sound effects were good as well. Really nice job there.

Game play
The hidden object scenes were far too easy for my tastes,. The objects were too few and too large to present much of a challenge. The blue items added only a little more difficulty, especially since the cursor does not change on active zones. The puzzles were also a little too easy for my tastes. There was one puzzle that required dexterity, where you had to guide a hoop through an electrical circuit. I didn’t mind, but some people with physical disabilities don’t like these types, so maybe consider an alternative?
### Full version: the hidden objects were very easy throughout, so I have to classify this as a beginners game. On the other hand, since the cursor does not change over active areas, beginners may be confused. The mini-games were also very easy throughout. The hardest puzzles for me were placing the clock hands and the slider picture (I am not good at slider pictures).

continued...

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 26, 15 6:46 AM
Part 3 of 3

Errors and oddities:
One thing that was odd, near the beginning after you get the lantern and place it in the “fog,” the lantern then disappears (as if one lantern can light up the entire area.) Secondly, the Dr’s wife says to you something about heeding “our please” which should be spelled “our pleas.” Another spelling error is in the onscreen help when clicking on the piece of ham. There are strange characters after the word “use.”
### Full version: In the scene described above after reviving the Dr.’s wife, the text still says “please” instead of “pleas” (plural of plea).(ETA - just played the demo, this is fixed ) Also, in a later hidden object scene, the description of the object is “garnet” which is a stone, but the object is actually a pomegranate, which is a fruit. In the same scene (I think) an item is described as a “fur tree” which should be “fir tree.” At the windmill the help text says “sackle” but what is meant is “sickle.”(ETA: also fixed) We also collect three “blue ornaments” which are actually um, green. Finally, several objects say “Help text for combination object” when you click on them, but I assume those are because it is not the final version.

Conclusion
I realize this game is not complete and I got that impression while playing. It does have an interesting (to me) story and great cut scenes. However, as it stands now it is a little too simple to play and the drawing detail is lacking. If I had to rate it on a five star scale, I could only give 2 ½ stars. The potential is there but it seems not quite realized yet. As it is now I could only recommend for a beginning player. (Note: I tend to be a hard grader)
### Full version: I was surprised how much more I liked the game than the first time. It is still too easy for my tastes, but I liked the gruesome story. In my opinion, the game will appeal more to male players than other games here because of the characters, story line and visuals. I still think it is best suited for beginning players, but I will upgrade my rating to three or possibly three and ½ stars out of five (assuming everything is fixed).

Enjoy!

Edited on 02/03/2015 at 6:38:10 PM PST

[Post New]by liliaapolline on Jan 26, 15 7:07 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

To the game, too short, very lovely to look at and music very atmospheric used a free game code or would have felt very cheated, played only for approx 90 minutes altogether and completed the game, tried again on hard setting and still completed it 120 minutes.

Again good graphics, excellent music, nice sounds effects but TOO EASY!

Edited on 01/27/2015 at 3:06:27 PM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jan 26, 15 7:25 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Frankenstein: Master of Death here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Frankenstein: Master of Death .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgVaiya

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 26, 15 7:32 AM
Just finished this game after four hours play on the harder mode; I really enjoyed it. The background scenes were lovely although I found the human figures rather stiff, think they need a bit of yoga I liked the music too.

The game was a little easy for me but I enjoyed having to put items together within the hidden object scenes as it makes a nice change from just looking for something specific.

I am on Win7 and had no problems with d/l or with gameplay

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Jan 26, 15 7:44 AM

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 9:05:06 AM PST

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jan 26, 15 7:57 AM
liliaapolline wrote:To the game, too short, very lovely to look at and music very atmospheric used a free game code or would have felt very cheated, played only for approx 90 minutes altogether and completed the game, tried again on hard setting and still completed it 120 minutes. Again good graphics, excellent music, nice sounds effects but TOO EASY!

Thanks for posting this bit - I'll use a PCC too since I don't mind short games as long as they're interesting enough w/ clear graphics like this one.

Based on demo (Easy mode):

Game play felt a tad bit different from the usual fare w/ mini-games within the HOPs but the diff. positions of the usual buttons (hint, map, etc) took a bit of getting used to. Transporter map did update tasks & hint (in HOPs) is a quick flash of light which is hard to see when items are at the top of the screen.

The not-so-good part (for my taste): Not knowing where or how-to find the code on the safe (had to skip) and the rat being shock treated in the cut scene.....owwww! All other detailed reviews here cover the rest (thanks!).

Overall, no wow factor, just a nice, time-pass kinda game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Boy, did I ever enjoy playing this game! W/o bells & whistles, its strength lies in solid game play, story, inventory never being too heavy + not requiring too many hints. So glad I got it.....!

Edited on 02/09/2015 at 1:03:48 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jan 26, 15 12:57 PM
Like Steve San, I was also lucky to get to play the beta sample and the subsequently modified version of the full game. It's great to see that most of the issues that I submitted were indeed considered and modified as devs saw fit. To me, that's the sign of a good team of developers when they don't just ask for our opinions and ideas, they also respond to them!

Now to the game. It's a straight to SE release, something we don't get to see alot of here anymore. Just finished the demo and it looks good! I personally enjoyed the graphics and the wandering around I got to do. I really enjoyed the large inventory that rapidly fills up. Like my toolbox at home, I like to rummage through the inventory to find the right tool for each task I encounter.

The story, a variation on the Frankenstein theme, unfolds in an interesting way. The voiceovers are nicely done, with the voices matching the text.

To lock the UI (User Interface) which includes your Hint button and (when applicable) your Skip button, just click on that blue icon in the lower left corner.

As to length of the game, my times on the beta full version were in the 3-hour range. But then I take my time, so your mileage will vary. LOL I often say I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but that doesn't stop me from noticing and appreciating the talents of those folks who do!

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 26, 15 1:38 PM
[Removed by Moderator]

As for the game, once 31st January 2015 has disappeared from my working life, I wilI most definitely be trialing this game.

Dax

Edited on 01/27/2015 at 3:05:49 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 26, 15 3:00 PM
Hey Viktor, It's Alive!

A twist on the familiar Frankenstein story. You are summoned by your friend Viktor Frankenstein to see his amazing scientific breakthrough, but when you arrive (surprise!) it is apparent that something terribly horrifying is going on.

The strength of this game is the cut scenes. They are all expertly done and bring a terrifying realism to the characters and story. The drawing style is somewhat colorful, heavier on the grays, greens and browns, but everything is decrepit and run down looking in order to aptly suit the gruesome storyline. Note: there are some scenes involving rats that may be disturbing to some.

The music is also a strong point. The tracks are very nicely done orchestral arrangements which set the mood perfectly and seamlessly blend with the visual style. Sound affects are also good, and there is a pleasant chime when a puzzle is completed. Voices are average to good.

The puzzles and games are not as strong, most of them are very easy, even on the "Hard" difficulty setting (the other setting is "Easy"). Hidden objects are mostly large and visible. While the hidden object scenes have some objects in blue that require additional tasks to find, one difference here is that there is no "active" cursor to assist you in discovering where to click. You will have to look carefully for visual clues.

To bring up the Hint/Skip menu, move the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen.

The game play is fairly simple, you'll find a lot of unusual looking keys to open doors throughout. There is onscreen help to give you clues as well. I would say this game is best suited for beginners or those who like easier play. But if you like the story and cut scenes as much as I did, all levels of players should consider this. Due to the simple level of play it is also not a really long game.

You don't have to be a "Master" to play this, but you do have to have a desire to play a creepy game about a strange and horrifying evil.

Three and 1/2 's

Edited on 01/29/2015 at 11:36:03 AM PST

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 26, 15 4:08 PM

Edited on 01/27/2015 at 3:11:16 PM PST

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Too short, easy even in hard mode!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jan 26, 15 7:28 PM
I like scary type plays -- this was not scary -- provided a laugh or two. Story not complex -- nor was the game difficult. Despite the warning that choosing hard mode promised better that turned out to be a spin. Not sure why the map, not useful.

The game was way to short in play. However since the game was short in both substance and complexity this could be viewed as a gift.

Now usually I am forgiving -- but I seem these days to feel as though my hard earned money is spent on games that are not living up to expectations. I suppose one could say "well don't purchase". Valid sure but I do love a good HOG and here BF you have been short on delivering.

I may be slightly hooked on HOG's but I am about ready to kick the addiction.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Frankenstein: Master of Death here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jan 27, 15 7:58 PM
steve_san wrote:Part 3 of 3

In my opinion, the game will appeal more to male players because of the characters, story line and visuals.

Enjoy!

In my opinion, the ladies can handle the monsters. If only we could banish them in real life as easily as we can in the game world. Frankenstein's monster is like a breath of fresh air to us simple womenfolk.

I have liked these developers' other games and am quite pleased with their latest offering.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 27, 15 9:25 PM
Well, I just fell in love!! - with this game, that is! Other than the painfully outdated graphics on the characters (other than the truly terrifying "monster" - good job!!), I can find no fault with this game. I thought the graphics were absolutely beautiful and realistic (again, other than the people), The opinions that this game was too easy or for beginners,I do have to disagree. I have been playing for many years, and I thought the game, while not a "rip your hair out" kind of game,was very enjoyable and pretty creepy! I didn't have a problem with the map,as Roaming and Steve_San mentioned. It worked fine for me and showed where there were tasks , my current location and what scenes were unavailable. You could also use it to jump from scene to scene. Also, I believe Roaming had mentioned a problem with the Hint button in the HOS. Again, I had no difficulty there. The music, while fitting in perfectly for the atmosphere of the game, could get a bit jarring here and there. But otherwise, was quite beautiful and spine-shivering. Well, I guess its pretty obvious that I loved this game. Used a coupon code on it (how often is there a good SE out there these days), but I would have paid the $6.99 in a heartbeat.

feenix
for all the fishies out there in the NE states, God Bless and try to stay safe in the blizzard of 2015

kerchers
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by kerchers on Jan 28, 15 2:28 PM
really good game, had trouble to start with half way though game, I couldn't do any thing at all tried re installing it but that didn't fix it. So I started again on the easy mode and played the game again ,all went well there was no problems at all , played it to the end. hope this helps if you get stuck like I did

runold
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by runold on Jan 28, 15 3:40 PM
This was actually an okay game. The problems that I encountered took away much of the pleasure. Hint not working, not picking up objects when they are first shown-this problem occurred when I first went into bedroom(wider screen) and did not pick up piece of ladder.

[Post New]by shoestringplayer on Jan 29, 15 8:47 PM
I played the "hard" mode but still did not find it very challenging. The cinematics were a bit long in places, but the graphics were very good. Overall, a good game.

Go to: