Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Shiver: The Lily's Requiem Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 31, 15 12:54 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/31/2015 at 6:28:25 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shiver: The Lily's Requiem Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 31, 15 3:11 AM
Not sure about this game; at the start you're thrown into the action without knowing what on earth is going on. Then suddenly you are asked for a player name and the game menu appears. Strange.

The graphics are good; HOS were few and far between as it seems this game is more puzzle based and this is the first time in years I've seen 'Battleships' included in any game! I skipped it. Otherwise the puzzles were do-able, some more by trial and error but none were overly difficult. Voices were well done.

There is a map which shows things to do if you wish (game play is customisable) and it transports. Collectibles are in the form of black pearls and items with which to decorate something but I didn't check that out. Oh and I rescued a fish which I think has an aquarium somewhere; maybe that's what the collectibles are for. No helper during the demo.

This game didn't seem quite up to the standard of the previous 'Shiver' games and I wasn't overly interested in the story. I can wait for the SE of this one; there are 2 other CE's I want so the sale this weekend is perfect for me

No technical issues with this game. Desktop running Win7 64-bit.

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Shiver: The Lily's Requiem Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Jan 31, 15 6:28 AM
Hey Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shiver: The Lily's Requiem Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shiver: The Lily's Requiem Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Jan 31, 15 8:03 AM
BIG dissapoint over the previous shiver game. No it's one of million hogs, with nothing new. Seems like a trend lately, that previous exellent games series has been destroyed by the lacklustre latest.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Jan 31, 15 8:53 AM
I think it is a good game. It is different from the preceding Shiver game but this is not to the worse!

I like the story, ok it is not new, but can be told quite often in variations and I like the atmosphere.

But, make up your own mind, everybody has other ideas of a good game!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 31, 15 9:59 AM

Requiem Borders On Lilies - Literally

Setting: You are Dr. Robert Thompson, returning to the town of Blackwill (uh-oh!) after being away for 17 years. There is a legend that a creature once roamed this town causing women to fall into a catatonic state, until the townspeople built a wall to confine it. However, upon your return a young redhead named Beatrice seeks you out. Her mother was Kat(atonic) Stanley, a patient whose case you could never cure.

First of all, I get that the title is "The Lily's Requiem," but that does not require a flowery lily border around all the pop-up scenes. I wished they had dropped this idea because I did not find it appealing. In fact, for me it had the opposite effect. But other than that, the visual look of the game was not bad; another game utilizing the full color spectrum with a fantasy-realism style set in a 1940's time period.

Voices are well done. There is some scripted interactive conversation between your character and the others.

The HO scenes (17) are also interactive types, but fairly standard. There were no twists encountered during the trial. The puzzles were easy: in one you'll face off against another character in a game of Battleship. Some others in the trial were shape recognition - i.e., identifying the shape of ampoules, keys, and reassembling the broken pieces of a jeweled tree.

Special features: There are collectible black pearls in plain sight. These are used to buy furnishings for your "house." There are also collectible items used to decorate your aquarium. Neither of these features were appealing to this reviewer because they simply do not interest me, not necessarily because they were poorly done.

The play was rather uneven. There is an attempt to "doctor" your actions, but some of the things that are done are just plain strange, like (spoiler) stitching up a paper funnel. There is a transportable map with the feature of indicating actionable areas - this can also be turned off in the Custom settings.

Having not played this series since The Vanishing Hitchhiker, I feel no urge to get this game either, especially as a CE. The story is ok if not really new, and the play was just average. I'm content to either pass or wait for the lily to bloom as an SE.

Just three 's

Edited on 01/31/2015 at 10:17:34 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 31, 15 10:22 AM
Love the game and had puzzles that were fun to do. HOG's were good plus story line is something a little different. Give this 4 out of 5 stars...

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 31, 15 2:46 PM
Once I got past the problem with the key in the very beginning, the game runs really well. Best voice acting I've heard in recent memory, the plot is fun, I'm enjoying most of the puzzles and best of all is finding the pearls to fix up the new doctor's home/office. The fish is fun too. I like this a lot and it's a great sale this weekend.

OnBreak
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by OnBreak on Jan 31, 15 3:36 PM
Having alot of fun playing the game. It was just what i look for in games. Custom set up, map that jumps and tells you if something needs to be done. Fun and unusual HOSs and lots and lots of puzzles which are not the normal fare. Give it a try see what you think

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 31, 15 5:29 PM
Hi all. Well, we have the 4th in this series...yes, I have the other 3. There was no real lead into this story, you just sort of were there running. I get where is is going, but it was lacking in a good opening scene. Graphics were very nice and clear. Colors are bright and true. Game play was good, except for one little freeze, but when restarted it worked fine. Game fit my large screen with no problems. Voice overs were nice, age appropriate and showed some emotion depending on what was happening. Not a lot of dialog. Sound FX were few. Music was okay and had a creepy feel to it now and then, but mostly slow and boring.

HOPs were silhouettes, straight HOP and some interactive. Scenes were a bit junky to me, but items were not difficult to find. Puzzles were all too familiar. Almost like I had played that exact game...maybe, since it is a sequel. Hint system is helpful, but takes a while to refill and does not transport to other locations. There is quite a lot of back tracking. Very useful jump map, saves on the sore feet. There seemed to be a lot of active areas all at once, so you did jump around a lot.

Collectibles are black pearls that you use to buy items for your house, and believe me, it needs upgrading. These are not as easy to find as you think, although some are. I accidentally found some in the HOPs. You also collect fish items to fill your fish tank in your home. These also do not jump off the page at you and vary in size and object, so don't just look for fish.

I'm not kicked out about games that require you to "pick" what you want to say. It takes away from the game play for me and breaks my thought process and flow. I know it's silly, but when I'm in a game, I don't want to read through a bunch of dialog and pick what I want to say, so that is a minus for me. This game was not all that challenging or exciting. Over the previous 3, I found that this one was somewhat disappointing. That being said, for some unknown reason, I have the need to play it out and see what happens. Maybe it's because I need to finish fixing up that house. I'm sure this game would appeal to all levels of players and yes, I am going to purchase for my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Bluecassie37
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Bluecassie37 on Feb 1, 15 2:14 AM
First game in a long time that I have been wanting to carry on with.

I really like that you are dropped into a mystery without much detail or back story. There is a glowy purple-light with a pair of eyes that may be some kind on predatory mermaid creature in town legend. It apparently has a thing for red-heads. The nurse knows something...... Clearly some of the things you see will relate to the story later on. I prefer this gathering of info to the sometimes manic need to explain and remind over and again that these games sometimes have.

I like that there is a nice (so far) mix of dialogue, action and HOS tasks. Looks beautiful. The story is interesting (so far) and you can customise everything. Very big improvement on previous Shiver games.

pidgie65
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by pidgie65 on Feb 1, 15 2:14 AM
steve_san wrote:
Requiem Borders On Lilies - Literally

Setting: You are Dr. Robert Thompson, returning to the town of Blackwill (uh-oh!) after being away for 17 years. There is a legend that a creature once roamed this town causing women to fall into a catatonic state ... a young redhead named Beatrice seeks you out. Her mother was Kat(atonic) Stanley, a patient whose case you could never cure.

[Post New]by els11011 on Feb 7, 15 5:22 AM
First game in ages that made me laugh out loud. When I said I didn't want the tutorial, it told me I was a know it all !!! Someone making this game has a great sense of humour!

dragonrain
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dragonrain on Feb 15, 15 6:36 PM
PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME BUYING THIS GAME I CANT GET ANYONE TO HELP WITH THE KEY ISSUES SEEMS LIKE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE BEWARE ALL

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Feb 18, 15 1:05 PM
BEST game I have ever played. Kept me interested and intrigued to find the solution. A bit bizarre without being frightening. So tired of occult garbage.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Feb 27, 15 8:25 AM
Thanks Artogon for the really good game, actually a really good series. I have just finished playing all 4 of them. The first 2 in 12/2014 and the last 2 in 2/2015 and have enjoyed playing all of them. Each one is different than the one before, both in story and gameplay. This one I have to say is the most colorful.

I like the variety of the HO scenes and you put in plenty of puzzles for me to "puzzle" over. Which was really nice. The horse & the chessboard was a head scratcher, but I was able to get it after some mulling over.

The bonus was pretty good and the bonus content was fun. I enjoyed finding the black pearls and fixing up the room + finding stuff for the aquarium.

I played this and all the Shiver games on a win7 64bit computer with NO tech problems in main game or bonus.

Edited on 02/27/2015 at 8:28:20 AM PST

[Post New]by ivalentin66 on Mar 2, 15 6:54 PM
can you tell me where I use the bent nail? how do I get pass the bridge? I am stuck at the beginning the hint is not working for me.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on May 15, 15 10:10 PM
I thought this was an excellent game! The storyline, graphics and music were outstanding.

Loved collecting the black pearls to redo my house and also collecting items for my aquarium.

The achievements were some of the best. Most of them are attainable. A few of them you received by accidentally doing something in the game or in a HOP.

I did have a couple of small glitches. When I clicked on my map, the game locked up for a few seconds. One of the achievements was to use the map 20 times. After having this happen, I didn't click on the map anymore. I also noticed that the Strategy Map tab on the right side of the screen almost completely covered up a couple of items that I needed (one was an aquarium item). When I first started the game, it took me right into the game without giving me a chance to even add my profile. I'm lucky, however, because it seems that many other players had worse problems than I did.

All in all, I found it to be a terrific game. It's the only game, so far, that I have started playing and continued on until the game was done (finished it at 1:00 am).

Go to: