catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery of the Ancients: Deadly Cold CE here!

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Feb 5, 15 12:33 AM
A thread for your reviews!

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 6:33:27 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery of the Ancients: Deadly Cold CE here!

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 5, 15 6:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Mystery of the Ancients: Deadly Cold Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Mystery of the Ancients: Deadly Cold Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 5, 15 7:01 AM
Another in the Mystery of the Ancients series. I have liked the previous ones. The game has you going to see your BFF Kira on a warm day, when a blizzard is forecast. As soon as you get there, ice begins to cover everything and ice giants run rampant. Familiar theme as we have seen this in other games. Kira's husband runs off for help and you and Kira put together a mysterious amulet that her husband left for her. Alas, an ice giant carries her off too. Turns out her husband's father (your father-in-law, who presumably you've never met) is the king of the ice world or some such thing. Anyway.... the HOS are fun. They are puzzles within puzzles. The mini games are unique and also fun. I had absolutely no trouble with them, which means they are super super easy Game play is extremely linear and easy. There are a few collectible statues, and some hares to find, and usual in-game achievements. I don't think this merits a CE standing. Kira's voice is the most grating voice I've heard in a game in a long time. I'd say meant for beginners or someone who wants a very very easy game. However, the HOS and puzzles are fun. I'd recommend the SE unless the bonus chapter is something wonderful. I would have preferred a sunny setting with a nice tropical climate, as the game looks like what I've been seeing outside my window, however, no such luck. I did not run into any glitches or problems playing on Windows 7. Enjoy and wear your winter gear

ETA : Oh my, I'm a herring!!!

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 7:02:52 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 5, 15 9:00 AM
This game has everything I look for. Excellent HOs, fun mini games that aren't to difficult but not completely easy. I found the story line, graphics and audio very well done. The little hidden extras aren't so hard to find that you have to spend a bunch of time searching each scene. It moved along at a great pace. Never got bored. The map is very easy to use. The diary is right to the point. No reading through pages to see whats next. Overall I really couldn't find anything I disliked about it!

[b]EXCELLENT, FAST PACED AND A LOT OF FUN!!!

DEFINITELY A GAME TO PUT ON YOUR LIST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 5, 15 9:36 AM
I have the rest in the series so had to play this one too and I liked it, apart from Kira’s voice which was far too shrill and made me wince every time I heard it. All is not lost though as she’s now been carted off by an ice monster and probably won’t make another appearance until the end of the game when she’s rescued, and I sincerely hope I have found a pair of ear muffs by then!

Levels - Casual, Advanced, Expert and Custom.

Achievements - there are 8 in total. 6 of them have 3 levels each, i.e. finish 3, 7 or 10 puzzles without a hint. If you watch the credits you get another achievement.
The final one is to collect all 20 mural parts (jigsaw pieces). Personally I cannot remember collecting a single one but when the demo finished I found that I already had 7 of them.

Extras - the usual Concept Art, Wallpapers and Music

Inventory - lockable.

Map - jumpable, it also shows which areas have active tasks to complete.

Sights & Sounds - Good lip sync good graphics and the music wasn’t boring or repetitive..

Length - 7 chapters plus the Bonus Game.

HOS - Interactive and varied.

Puzzles - none are mind bending nor mind numbing, most are relatively easy to complete with one or two requiring a little more strategy but none were impossible.

Collectable Goodies - 6 statuettes of the characters. 25 hares to collect and they do not look exactly the same, some are quite large and others blend in very well with the background. To confuse us even more at one stage you do have to find another 2 hares that are used in a mini-game so don’t count them as part of the 25 needed.

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 9:40:15 AM PST

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 5, 15 9:38 AM
continued

Bonus Chapter - I haven’t played it yet but after a flick through the Strategy Guide it looks a decent length

I did like this little touch that was inserted into a HOS but not part of it, there was a little bird sitting in a bush and every few seconds it pulled its head in and shivered - very appropriate given the game is called Deadly Cold.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 5, 15 4:42 PM

This Deadly Cold Is No Mystery

Setting: Your best friend Kira has recently gotten married and has invited you to visit her town of Baumholder. The weather reports are warning of an impending summertime blizzard. Just after you arrive, a huge icy tower shoots up in the distance, spewing snowy clouds of destruction and ice men.

Oddities: First, Kira's husband, whose name happens to be Victor Snow *ahem*, is listed as 7'-0" tall but, unless Kira is really tall, he's drawn much shorter. Second, it's time-period challenged. Victor's DOB is listed as 1977 on his license, issued in 2006. But there's a 1970's era TV and camera, and the autos date to the 1950's. Also, their house uses old style electrical fuses. Thirdly , they show a manhole cover held down with two Phillips head screws. Lastly, there is a raccoon who is apparently a pet and has his own lockable door.

The palette is heavy on the blues, but rather unimaginatively so. Most scenes are saturated with that familiar shade of light blue that we've seen a thousand times before.

The quality of the voices was average, and I was not bothered by Kira's voice. However, if she is my best friend I have questions about my own character as she is somewhat of a ditz. Music was of the muzak type.

Hidden object scenes were interactive semi-silhouette type. Puzzle solutions were very simple. Transportable map with objectives.

There is much hand-holding early on, even with the optional tutorial turned off. As play approached the end of the trial, this tapered off. The problem is that the story is unimaginative as well, just a rehash of of the usual characters. The trial ends with a pseudo surprise that you knew was coming. I found my interest waning by then.

Skip lovers: There are the usual three difficulty settings, plus custom. There is one slider which controls both the Hint and Skip recharge, and its configurable anywhere from 1 to 90 seconds.

Extras and pseudo extras: Six collectible character figures, 20 achievements (including pseudo ones) and 25 collectible hares. Why hares? Not sure. These were mostly well hidden. Strategy guide, bonus level, other stuff.

The collectible hares were the most appealing feature. However, I found it lacking in just about every other area so, if I ever decide to buy, I'll choose the tortoise over the hare and wait for the SE.

Two and 1/2 melting ice men who should come in from the Deadly Cold.

Edited on 02/05/2015 at 4:49:22 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 6, 15 5:05 AM
Well, now that I've managed to fix the color problems on my computer, I don't have to dread certain developers, so this game looks very nice, and I happen to like the palette used. However, wowzer, who thinks this looks anything like any town anywhere in the U.S.? It has faux late 16th-early 17th century architecture, but with several more stories to the houses, plus some other kinds of generally very European structures. Hello devs -- European style construction didn't even begin until the early 17th century, because there were no Europeans here before that, and what got built looks nothing like this game, which is yet another fantastical European village somewhere in some mountainous region, certainly nowhere near New York State (the cabbie delivering us to "Baumhold" has a thick, fake NYC, actually kind of Brooklyn, accent, sort of). Baumhold is a very German name and there are a lot of reasons we don't have that many towns with very German names, including when German immigrants actually made it to the U.S. Victor is shown as 7 feet tall -- what? -- which he certainly doesn't look like, and his secret is kind of stunningly obvious not that long into the game. I also noticed that the license in his wallet had an "ISS" number, which also doesn't exist in the U.S. We have social security numbers (SS). The mini-games were generally easy, the HOP's fine, but I'm currently on the fence about buying the game -- I always like collecting objects (hares and statuettes and, apparently, puzzle pieces), but I'm going to play more of the demo before I decide. Take away the extras, though, and I'm not sure the story is strong enough for me to buy as an SE.

Update after finishing the demo: well, perhaps the most interesting part at the end, although the general story was obvious from pretty early on, but I might get as an SE. I liked the color, story (even with the irritating Kira voice), enough that I'll check it out as an SE. It is a fairly easy game.

Edited on 02/07/2015 at 7:06:45 AM PST

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

MB on Ce Games and New page layout

[Post New]by cherleadford on Feb 6, 15 10:48 AM
Does anyone know the total MB on this game? Their new layout page shows the MB's on the SE play but no longer shows the total MB's on a CE game. I was wondering why they changed that? I do not like that new layout at all. The pictures are smaller and I rarely watch the videos .Also one could go to the game forum by clicking on that page I guess I will have to go to another game site to find out total MB's on a CE game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

MB on Ce Games and New page layout

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 6, 15 11:34 AM
cherleadford wrote:Does anyone know the total MB on this game? Their new layout page shows the MB's on the SE play but no longer shows the total MB's on a CE game. I was wondering why they changed that? I do not like that new layout at all. The pictures are smaller and I rarely watch the videos .Also one could go to the game forum by clicking on that page I guess I will have to go to another game site to find out total MB's on a CE game.

It's shown as 403.98 MB under the Play Now button.

Edited on 02/06/2015 at 11:34:56 AM PST

[Post New]by brightwander on Feb 6, 15 1:10 PM

"cherleadford wrote"

Does anyone know the total MB on this game? Their new layout page shows the MB's on the SE play but no longer shows the total MB's on a CE game. I was wondering why they changed that? I do not like that new layout at all. The pictures are smaller and I rarely watch the videos .Also one could go to the game forum by clicking on that page I guess I will have to go to another game site to find out total MB's on a CE game.

Check under game requirements--hard disk. It shows amount needed if purchased.
The total under "play now" is the trial download.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 7, 15 1:23 AM
I liked this game. Easy on the eye, easy to play, HOS were quite interesting and puzzles mostly do-able. I did notice Victor was meant to be 7ft tall but he certainly didn't look it; however inconsistencies like that or buildings out of style with the setting or items which weren't actually around at the time the story is set really don't bother me at all. After all, it's just a game.

The play options were customisable, the map transports, there are collectibles and achievements. I didn't come across any helpers in the demo. And it was the full 90 minutes, which is rare.

I can only afford one CE this weekend so will try today's and decide between the two. But I will buy this CE at some point; it just really appealed to me

No technical issues on my desktop running Win7 64-bit. cherleadford......the game download size is 972mb. It's listed under 'game requirements' now.

Edited on 02/07/2015 at 1:30:08 AM PST

indypeg57
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by indypeg57 on Apr 11, 15 6:07 PM
WOW ! Long game play on the bonus. And it was all enjoyable. HOS, puzzles,music and pretty much eye candy.
Playing on windows 8. A lot of fun. Made my Saturday afternoon. Took me about 6 hrs. to complete.
I recommend this game !!

[Post New]by Mikko2c on Jun 8, 15 7:09 PM
At the end of the came it says part 2 "coming soon". When will it be released?

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jun 9, 15 10:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to take the time to thank players for posting their reviews of this particular game in this thread. It is extremely helpful to other players as well as appreciated.

In regards to the continuation of this particular game, the Moderation team doesn't have any information regarding when it will be released. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Once we hear of anything, we will update the Forums for all the users.

I do see that there is some question regarding the total MB for this particular game. While the game page requirements state that 973MB is needed, the download size of the file is 912.2MB. I apologize for the confusion that 403.98 MB is for the trial version of the game.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM any of the moderators if you have any questions.

bfgBellerophon

Go to: