WPE - Hardy Boys

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

WPE - Hardy Boys

[Post New]by bribling on May 27, 09 1:58 AM
This one is a NO for me. it has two things I dislike the most in HOGs, teeny tiny objects and dark places. I was also annoyed by the chit-chat between the boys. This is not difficult and for those with good vision, it may be too simple. For many it will be a fun game, so try the Demo and make up your mind.

Re:WPE - Hardy Boys

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on May 27, 09 2:00 AM
Like this game for de-stressing easy HO play. You can click through the boys dialogue and perhaps this does not bother me as I live with two teenage lads!!! The mini-games appear easy but pleasant and break up the object hunting.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on May 27, 09 2:20 AM
it may be too simple

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 27, 09 2:23 AM
This game is a major disappointment. Poor graphics and the game play and puzzles are very basic.

lcoffbaby
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,071 Posts

WPE - Hardy Boys

[Post New]by lcoffbaby on May 27, 09 2:50 AM
bribling wrote:This one is a NO for me. it has two things I dislike the most in HOGs, teeny tiny objects and dark places. I was also annoyed by the chit-chat between the boys. This is not difficult and for those with good vision, it may be too simple. For many it will be a fun game, so try the Demo and make up your mind.

completely agree and i have excellent eyesight...

p.s. how is everyone? good i hope....

Laurie

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on May 27, 09 3:14 AM
It had no sound for me--not sound effects nor music.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on May 27, 09 3:29 AM
kishimojun wrote:It had no sound for me--not sound effects nor music.

They are turned off by default for some reason.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on May 27, 09 5:23 AM
Nop 10 minutes was enough for me it reminded me of when I first started HO games and too many smarty remarks

but I got 1 out of the 3 games loved "Opps forgot the name" the one with the painting not too long but enjoyed it and did not need a walkthrough. Puzzles quite easy but I enjoyed, but again very short, but well for 6.99 cheaper than going to the movies for entetainment. I supose the creators will be trying to get more value by follow on Part 11 and 111 I do not think I wll see another long and great value one like RTR or Mushroom age. I would give it a 6.5/10 as I enjoy this type of game rather than a straight HO.

Cheers all
Lineck

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on May 27, 09 5:32 AM

Fuzzy graphics, poorly edited "clever" dialog, too freakin' much dialog (and this coming from a Poodle who loves story line ) and the most irritating found object sound ever... kinda a cross between the squeak of a wine bottle cork and glass scraping glass... *shudder* ...and what was with the timer? It didn't count up or down, just sat at 12:00...?

About 12 minutes of play was enough for me. Delete.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on May 27, 09 6:17 AM
Agree with everything already said. Some items were almost off the screen.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 27, 09 6:19 AM
Not much "fine tuning" to this game was there? Played like a first draft. I clicked rapidly through the silly dialogue.

One thing in this game that has also appeared in other games is the "need" to clean up a mess. I don't know where that silly idea came from. When you finish cleaning up the boys' room it is still a disaster area. Any Mom who insisted on a clean up would never settle for the mess that remained after the clean up. It is just plain silly to "clean up" anything in a junk pile HOG

mummypops
Koi
Koi
80,817 Posts

[Post New]by mummypops on May 27, 09 6:22 AM
Managed to D/L this game eventually and then the darn thing shut down my PC so in the bin it went

[Post New]by Basketcase327 on May 27, 09 6:24 AM
scotcat wrote:
it may be too simple

Darn, had high hopes for this one. Loved the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew!
Scotcat, they are all too simple for you!!! Hey, did you try 3 Cards to Midnight. That game was pretty tough. Had to really think (not easy for this OB ) before I clicked!!

lilorange
Flounder
Flounder
2,206 Posts

[Post New]by lilorange on May 27, 09 7:01 AM
Gosh, I don't know what happened, but I can now get on the home page at work and see the videos too. I also was looking forward to this one--will still give the demo a go though. However, doesn't sound promising. And, since I do have somewhat limited game time I have to pick and choose what I spend the time on. Thanks all for your reviews!

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on May 27, 09 7:08 AM
Well I'll try it but I would prefer an adventure game, so luckily there is Treasure Seekers.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on May 27, 09 7:23 AM
This has to be one of the worst HO games BFG has ever offered us. For a start it takes a full two minutes to load, with no progress bar so you think maybe it's just frozen up your computer, then another minute for the first screen to come up.

The pictures are dark and appear slightly out of focus, the writing on the list is too small, the conversations are just irritating and add very little to the game - and each time you complete a screen (which doesn't take long) you have to wait over a minute for the next screen to appear.

What a shame! Someone must have paid good money to use the Hardy Boys brand, and I was expecting something of the quality of the Nancy Drew games.

Definitely a no-no for me.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on May 27, 09 7:40 AM
Well, after just now downloading it, listening to your (very respected) comments....I have now deleted it before trying. LOL.
Way too much out there to waste time on a subpar game.

Thanks, reviewers!

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on May 27, 09 8:20 AM
I tryed it and it lasted about 7 minutes. 7 minutes because about 5 of those minutes were just loading times, I had to go and turn the music on manually, and even then the music was just loud. Because there was only bits of sound here and there at first I thought my speakers weren't working. It was disappointing and the dialogue boxes were intrusive to me, the objects were very small and it was just sad The text looked to be just thrown together and generic and if you do Graphic Design or even if you don't, text can be a big deal I think.
I am not sure of who was the maker of the game, but next time they may want to take more time to work on the game; and not just throw it out there. Luckily I am not a Hardy Boys fan exactly because if I was it would be a very sad day.

TeresaRollen
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,896 Posts

[Post New]by TeresaRollen on May 27, 09 9:10 AM
I thought this Hardy Boys game would be more of an adventure like the Nancy Drew games, but you all sound like it is more of a HO game. Is that correct? I bought the game at a store when it first come out, but haven't tried to play it yet.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on May 27, 09 10:19 AM
TeresaRollen wrote:I thought this Hardy Boys game would be more of an adventure like the Nancy Drew games, but you all sound like it is more of a HO game. Is that correct? I bought the game at a store when it first come out, but haven't tried to play it yet.

I don't think this one is the same one being sold in stores. I THINK I read that this one was made specifically for casual gaming sites. Not sure where I saw that or even IF I'm completely right about it. If I DID see it, it was probably on Gamezebo.

Go to: