octavia13
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by octavia13 on Nov 26, 10 3:25 PM
I bought this game without first playing the trial cos I WAS a big fan of MCF. I now regret that as I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I had. It has none of the atmosphere of previous MCF games. I hate the dreary sound that passes for music and prefer to play with it off and who thought that you could be annoyed with a games characters. I don't like being talked at and told what to do. It has been said in previous posts and I agree, that this game has been dumbed down. Those of us who like HOG games don't want to be told what to do, we prefer to struggle on! Its part of the attraction. I feel I was looking foward to getting a great present and ended up with socks! At least I won't be looking forward to the next MCF if this offering is anything to go by.

quiltz
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by quiltz on Nov 26, 10 3:31 PM
Poutoule wrote:Oh boy ! I've been waiting for that so long... Nearly bought it straight away but rememberance of the last Dreamchronicles stopped me. Will let you know what I think about it.

Those are my sentiments exactly!! I won't buy any long awaited games without seeing what all the other fishies have to say first ...... a lesson well learned from Dreamchronicles!! Liz

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Nov 26, 10 3:32 PM
Almost just downloaded because I though 'my kind of game' - glad I did trial first, wasn't long into the game when I got bored with the dialogue and 'real' people. Like other people said, no real people in my game, thank you!
Plus, already at the start you run form room to room, I like it better when you only get access to a few rooms at the time. Maybe I'll buy at 'normal' price, but definitely not CE.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 26, 10 3:35 PM
This game had all the trappings of being one of the blockbusters of the year--huge hype, lots of speculation and guessing on the BFG forums, same lead-in as "Ravenhurst," "Return To Ravenhurst," and "Madame Fate." Same pondering comparisons to those classics too. I think the "frothing-at-the-mouth" MCF crowd was expecting the next "Ben Hur" or something. I'm sure comparisons to "Dire Grove" will abound in the days to come.

Well, no such animal here; however, this is a great throwback to the full-motion-videos (FMVs) like "Phantasmagoria" and "Gabriel Knight II--The Beast Within." Those were 6- or 7-CDers, though, and this game is obviously much more compact (with the strategy guide built-in--the books for the earlier FMVs were $20 apiece!).

I really like spooky, eerie HOG/Adventure games, so, for my first hour or so (I'll admit that upfront), MCF#7 got my attention, even right from the intro (Southern haunted mansion--what's not to like?). The casting and voice-acting are good, the graphics are realistic, the interaction with the FMV folks is believable (although I'd rather not be prompted for the next dialogue bit), and the hints and strategy guide are helpful but not pushy. The hidden-object scenes (like in the refrigerator) aren't quite up to par with RTR, but then, which ones are? Can't speculate on the game's length, but I plan on getting 6-8 hours from it (I'm deliberate!).

So far, I'm happy I plunked down the $ for this CE--just the "MCF" title alone makes this a classic, like all its predecessors.

[Post New]by thackett on Nov 26, 10 3:35 PM
When will the regular version come out? I have like 5 game credits I cant use on the collectors edition. (Which, BFG? I would gladly spend 2 or 3 of them on a collectors edition but its unfair to ask us to spend more money when we have already spent money)

[Post New]by harpie on Nov 26, 10 3:41 PM
I LOVE THIS GAME!! CRAZY AND WICKEDLY TRICKY! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT MCF GAME!!

[Post New]by orchid36 on Nov 26, 10 3:46 PM
Absolutely LOVED this game. Not too easy, and not too hard. Help available when I was racking my brain. Loved the humorous characters, and I give this a 10+.

jessikart
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by jessikart on Nov 26, 10 3:55 PM
I've played four sessions so far, and only notched up 2 hrs of gameplay, because I'm really having to force myself to play this.

It's not a bad game, it really isn't, it's just not what I expect from a MCF game. I appreciate that the game is much, much bigger than previous MCFs, so some pruning has to be involved, but it is so frustrating when you can clearly see that at some point you're going to need to collect certain items, so you try to do so, but 'game says no'. Or you think to yourself 'ooh! I'll wander over there!'. Game says no.

The huge charm of R2R & DG was for me that you do spend a lot time just wandering randomly, picking up various items with no idea what you'll do with them. You then get increasingly frustrated as you have an inventory full of random items and nothing works anywhere! When you finally have that eureka moment, it is so satisfying. 13th Skull is more like a 5 year olds jigsaw puzzle when you're recovering from the flu. Corners first, pretty coloured bits in the middle. You finish a section, but don't feel you've achieved anything.

And it's just not darned spooky enough! If I'm a master detective, why am I making a gumbo? Why am I looking for a gardener's wet weather gear? Sod that for a game of soldiers, I want to be masterfully detecting!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 26, 10 4:04 PM
FANTASTIC GAME! Off to purchase now, even before finishing the demo. Absolutely love all MCF games, but this one beats them all... like icing on the cake! LOVE the real people in the game, and the acting quite good. Beautiful graphics, and no technical glitches once I downloaded the 'new fix' version. Prior to the fixes, I was not able to download and install upon four attempts to do so, to no avail. Now it is working like a charm. A hundred thumbs up! (x 100). Thanks BF for the fixes & for this GREAT game!

It's cold outside, the house clean, all Christmas decorations up, groceries purchased, bills written and sent, no work this weekend, and all left overs from Thanksgiving Day still deliciously edible... so I'm looking forward to a cozy weekend indoors at home, to just R & R, and enjoy this beautiful game. Wishing all some great gaming, and a wonderful, safe, healthy, blessed holiday season!!!

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 4:06:54 PM PST

mshiv
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by mshiv on Nov 26, 10 4:06 PM
i too bought the game sight unseen. while it was downloading, i read the reviews, and was prepared to hate the game. boy, was i surprised, i really like it !!! i normally don't like any type of conversations with game characters,but, i like the actors in this game. (can't believe i said that). i didn't like the videos in the dire grove game.

the hidden object scenes are typical mcf, nicely done junk piles. i like them.

there are lots of mini games, i thought they were challenging.

the atmosphere of the game was good. typical mcf creepyish, i like it.

i do wish they would have made it clear what the crowns we are searching for look like. not good.

i would recommend this game !

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 26, 10 4:09 PM
mshiv said: "..nicely done junk piles."
(*chuckling*) so true... so true

GameFan
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by GameFan on Nov 26, 10 4:11 PM
Don't write in the forums to offen but had to comment on this MCF game. I have them all and RTR is my favorite, Dire Grove and Madam Fate after that. I have always loved the searching for what to do and figuring out what to use where. You know the wandering around with a brick and clicking on the window for the fifth time and finally realizing where to use the brick. I found that missing in this game. As others have said it makes it to easy. This is a game I suggested my friend to try who has never played HOG games. I don't want to be told what to do next I want to figure it out. For me personally I didn't enjoy all the conversation, again I want to be searching and thinking about what to do. I also didn't like not being able to go upstairs or out back until the game wanted me to. If that was the case they should have put a gate with a puzzle at the base of the stairs not just saying you needed to finish downstairs first. Hey I wanted to look around like the other MCF's games.

With that said the scenes are beautiful and it is well done. Just didn't grip me and make me want to keep seaching. I stayed up all night playing RTR and slept but couldn't wait to get back to Dire Grove. This one didn't consume me like the others. It's good but not easy to get totally consumed by. Maybe that's a good thing. It was easier to cook and feed the family for Thanksgiving.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 26, 10 4:21 PM
adelaidedoglet wrote:I've just started this game...am playing slowly and looking around to savour the experience of being in such a magnificently drawn world. I have not seen artwork remotely of this quality on any game I've played. It is just so beautiful, detailed, carefully done...I could be looking at fine art not a popular game. Thank you for that.

I don't have any comments on the actual gameplay yet, am still "taking in my surroundings" in the world you've created.

Try either or both of the Puppetshow games if you want the most beautiful, detailed, gorgeous artwork, imo.

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Nov 26, 10 4:26 PM
Actually I found the art in 13th Skull superior to anything in Puppet Show, which seemed kind of garish to me...no subtlety. Definitely it is a better game than many but I still think this one is better to look at than anything I've played.

I am not crazy about the live people you have to continue to interact with however; I was not happy with that in Dire Grove, and it really dominates this game to too much of a degree. There has to be a better way to push along the plot than this. Still, am loving it.

[Post New]by theatergirl on Nov 26, 10 4:26 PM
I have sent another message to customer service. Here is one fishie's trial and I am thankful I can least download the game.

Install one: my hanger disappeared from my inventory which means no key.

Next.... Install two: My hammer disappeared from the inventory so I could not put the stool together.

Install three: No nail in the barbecue, went back out and I am back to getting Mary's cleaning supplies which I already did.

This is so not working out for me... Now I am back collecting Mary's cleaning supplies.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I am ready to play Dire Grove and RTR again. Just finished Madame Fate again after taking a break from this game.

Plus I can still not get the game to go into widescreen.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! As I silently scream to myself.......

Tootlestwo
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Tootlestwo on Nov 26, 10 4:38 PM
Well.........I'm just finishing and I am rather disappointed. After the disaster on Tuesday nite with the download and then playing through to the goblets and having to uninstall and reinstall I ended up installing this game (or trying to) 6 times. I also noticed that when you went back into a **** scene several of the objects were repeats. I won't be playing this one again, it's uninstall for the last time now. I hope that next year we are treated to something a little more titillating!

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Nov 26, 10 4:40 PM
I am most definitely not a fan of this one. Wish I hadn't bought it, but I loved the other Mystery Case Files and figured I couldn't go wrong. Should have tried it before buying it.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Nov 26, 10 4:50 PM
I wasn't too sure about the game when I first started playing it. It grew on me as I went along. Had to resort to walkthrough a number of times. Not as good as Dire Grove. I do like most of MCF games. I finished it in two days, approx. 7 hrs.

cchyna
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by cchyna on Nov 26, 10 4:53 PM
I enjoyed the game, after getting over the trap door glitch, great graphics, good plot. But, let me tell you, when I had to find the 13 skulls, I HATED the phrases the Blanston guy kept repeating over & over!!@!! I could have done without that part. It made me want to quit the game. I had no other problems with the game.

[Post New]by geminijeanna on Nov 26, 10 4:55 PM
disappointed. Return to Ravenhearst and Dire Grove was SO SO SO much better. This was like a mystery case files for dummies. Wasted my money.....will hope for a better MCF in the future and will now just look forward to the next LAST DAY OF WORK game. So much was wrong with this game....story line, poor acting, not enough search for hidden objects, boring, repetitive puzzles, hints recharging too fast, inability to pick up clues before you need them, the whole game was like a walk through. Terrible.

Go to: