Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Stranded in Time here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 16, 15 12:50 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/16/2015 at 7:35:24 AM PST

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Stranded in Time here.

[Post New]by oasis53 on Feb 16, 15 12:53 AM
whoa...bad bad bad...shame on you Bigfish and whomever made this mess

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Feb 16, 15 3:07 AM
It's not so bad, obviously not CE material.

It's cartoony and old school, reminds me of the Samantha Swift games.

Fairly standard puzzles, no HO's, at least as far as I've played.

A lot of toing and froing, no jump map.

The hint only shows you where to go and you can't jump that way either.

No hand holding, quite a bit of dialogue, some very small items to pick up.

Sounds negative but it's worth a try I reckon.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 16, 15 4:06 AM
This is not a HOG - I don't know why BF keeps calling almost all games HOGs. There are no HOS in this game.

This is an adventure lite game of the type that was fun to play years ago. I still enjoy them though, and do like those cartoonish graphics.

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Feb 16, 15 5:14 AM
I gave it a try, but I can't stomach all the cheesy dialogue.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Feb 16, 15 6:45 AM
I also tried ,but this game is like going way back in time.Way to much reading.But I've come to expect bad ones on Mondays.It's rare for BF to shock me with a good SE on this day.So will get back to my Dangerous Game.Hopefully better luck Tuesday.Enjoy to those that do like it.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Stranded in Time here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 16, 15 7:36 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Stranded in Time here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Stranded in Time.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 16, 15 10:39 AM
I posted a review on the game page. I was intrigued by the idea that here was an ADVENTURE game without HOS. And, being an old adventure player from waaaaay back, I decided to try it.

I like it. I don't love it, but I really like it.

Yes, it is really retro. But that's okay. Everything doesn't have to be like the latest cookie cutter output from the usual culprits - including furry helpers, super-saturated color schemes, and missing relatives. Not to mention glowing neon blue eyes, swirling black villains, and too much hand-holding.

I don't get the reviewers that play for ten - or two - minutes and say there is no story. There is a story, and it is interesting and fairly original, but you have to read the abundant dialog and play for a bit before it unfolds. Kind of like the old days of text-driven games. The localization is pretty bad, but it makes the conversation funny in an unintended way, LOL.

And yes, you are unceremoniously dumped into the game and let to figure out what to do. It's an ADVENTURE game, not a HOG, and that is what you do in adventure games. (This is one big gripe I have about BFG - I wish they had better categories.)

The art is cartoony, yes. But it is well done, clear, and doesn't make your eyes hurt. Scenes are straightforward, and when you are looking for stuff, there are no junkpiles. (No HOS, but there are things to find for your inventory.)

There IS a lot of reading, but you can go as fast or slow as you like, and - YES!! - you can scroll backwards and re-read if you miss something. Better no voiceovers than bad ones!

There is a task list if you need to see what you are supposed to do next. There is a journal, but I didn't find it particularly useful. No map, but the game is pretty linear, and you won't need it. The hint button will tell you where to go next. I used it once. You will find that there are some blind alleys in the game - you will be looking for something you do not need a time or two... The hint can come in handy to let you know that you are at a dead end side alley.

There are mini-games. Some are quite easy, some not so much, but none are actually difficult. At least not in the demo. They are the usual fare, nothing original, but still fun.

It's not earth-shattering. It's not great. But it's a good solid game, fun and not overly taxing to play. Good story, pleasant to look at, and a refreshing change from the cliche'd tripe that we are getting every weekend.

Good job, Devs!

[Post New]by questforspirit on Feb 16, 15 12:33 PM
Very short game, lasted about an hour and a half for me.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Feb 16, 15 12:57 PM
SOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOW, didn't like the locked inventory very annoying. Its a no buy for me, sorry

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Feb 16, 15 3:41 PM
Nice little adventure illustrated with pleasant, boldly-colored cartoon-like illustrations and static frames with an interesting enough storyline that I got through the demo without annoyance. Seems of late I often can't thoroughly enjoy many games which generally have many flashy bells and whistles and no substance in story or dreary, cheesy commentary.

Yes you DO have to read [gasp] and sliiiide inventory rather than click on items [gasp gasp] and the game isn't equipped with audio dialogue nor v/o [gasp gasp gasp]... yet it holds it own and I enjoyed the entire Demo & probably buy with a credit or sale.... this one would be great for the younger crowd as well, I believe (based on demo).

Enjoy (or skip it) depending on your own tastes [funny how I feel compelled to have to write that when it used to be taken for granted in the past].

Eta: I found no problem with the dialog boxes yet if I did have that situation, I'd try changing the screen resolution as a fix.

Also, I almost forgot: KUDOS to the developer! Thanks!

Edited on 02/17/2015 at 1:19:50 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 16, 15 4:22 PM

I've Been Stranded With Worse

OK so that's not a ringing endorsement .

Setting: your Uncle Peter is a sort of kooky explorer with a lot of "alien" ideas. He's asked you to come help investigate a surprising find. Upon arriving, you find that he's already enlisted the help of Nick, who is a writer about your age (est. mid 20's).

Yes, there is a LOT of reading of dialog - but by itself that would not be a problem. Two things compounded it. First, the dialog window is a fixed size and it's too large. Most communications are 2-3 lines but the window can handle about 20. So it looks strange and poorly designed. Second, if you design a game with a lot of dialog, the conversations ought to be interesting. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. About 95% of the dialog is just inane talk. I found myself clicking through without reading after a few minutes (although I'm not exactly Mr. Patience).

It is an adventure game, so there is less hand-holding than the typical HOPA. Unless you have a photographic memory, you'll need to refer to your journal to know which items you're supposed to retrieve for someone or use to complete a task.

The artwork is cartoon style, which actually plays well with the (inane) dialog. There is very little detail, just representative elements in each of the scenes. But it works with the story and overall environment used.

The demo is very short and this is a red flag for me about game length.

Since I don't play too many pure adventure games, I'd rather not give a star rating. My opinion is that for adventure game fans, if the style appeals to you - or you can overlook it - this seems like a light, slightly amusing game that could return some snowy day entertainment value.

Edited on 02/16/2015 at 4:24:05 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 16, 15 4:25 PM
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It really does have an interesting story, I think the dialog is well written and fairly believable and they did a great job of making the caves feel alien. The simple graphics make this a little more difficult than the games we've become accustomed to that have glints and cursor changes, etc. I'm finding this mildly challenging but not annoyingly so. I was happy to use a PCC on it.

Roam
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Roam on Feb 16, 15 7:26 PM
I really enjoyed the whole game! It gets a little more difficult after the demo
It helps if you use paper and pen instead of the jump map when you are in the caves I found this game a pleasant change !

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 16, 15 10:15 PM
Count me in! This little game made me smile. I couldn't face another game with demons, vines, morphing objects, or bad voiceovers. So when I read reviews which described it as "adventure lite" with cartoon-style graphics, I loaded the demo right off!

There is a fair bit of dialogue. It's not complicated stuff, but it's not just idle chit-chat either! It serves a purpose -- hints about items to find scattered around the scenes and tasks to perform.

I have this bad habit of eating too many meals in front of the computer, so I was pleased to see that the dialogue, although it can be clicked through more rapidly, will eventually progress on its own if I've got my hands (and mouth) full.

One of my favorite iPad games is Labyrinth, a marble maze 'tilt' game, so when I got to the 'ball through the maze' with the mouse-controlled 'tilt', I knew for sure I was getting this one. My oh my, how far technology has come!

One of my almost-expired coupons will be put to good use tonight to get this fun little retro game.

jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

[Post New]by jfog on Feb 17, 15 4:13 AM
kdubs wrote:
I have this bad habit of eating too many meals in front of the computer, so I was pleased to see that the dialogue, although it can be clicked through more rapidly, will eventually progress on its own if I've got my hands (and mouth) full.

This is a very important aspect of gaming that few developers ever address. Gamers get hungry and I have never figured out how to click the mouse with my elbow. Good work devs!

(This is not sarcasm.)

[Post New]by hiddenhallow on Feb 18, 15 1:52 PM
Hello everyone!

First of all, I'd like to thank each and every one of you who tried out the demo and the full version of Stranded In Time. I can't express how happy I personally am to have the game finally on BigFish! Thank you!

As you can guess, I'm one of the devs, actually the one who envisioned the game and wrote the script (apart from the soundtrack and many other little things). And I just wanted to say a few things to anyone who has doubts about Stranded In Time.

It's an adventure game, not a HOG. And I can understand the users who were misled by their expectations in a way. Like any adventure game it's story-driven. Thus the abundance of dialogues. That was my first and foremost intent when creating the game concept. I like a story in a game and I wanted to make something where the story is the main driving force, not just an excuse to make the player go through repetative gameplay over and over. Aproach it like a graphic novel if you like. Yet, whether the story is interesting and whether it's told in an engaging way is up to you to decide.

The cartoonish and simple graphics may be off-putting for many players, especially those who are used to flashy photo-realistic settings with many extras to entertain the eye. But that was the intent, really. It felt right for this kind of game with its old-school feel and vibe. So if you like your games flashy like a candy this is just isn't the right thing for you.

Stranded In Time is actually our first project and there were only four of us working full-time on it for the last year. And it's really great that BigFish gives such small teams as ours a chance to present the fruit of their labor to the large audience they have established. It's a risk for them as a publisher and you have to give them respect for such decisions, as they only encourage young developers to do their best at making better games for your entertainment.

This game is definitely not what most of you are used to. Yes, it may feel outdated and out of place. But if you like good stories and don't need your games to be serious, mysterious and grim all the time, I suggest that you approach it with an open mind and give it a try! I think that you'll enjoy it more if you won't expect it to be a major HOG everyone is familiar with these days.

Cheers!

Irusan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Irusan on Feb 19, 15 11:14 AM
Yes, not a bad little game.

I personally find HOGs rather dull and much prefer old-style adventure games which you have to work out as you go along. (But I wholeheartedly agree with those who have expressed a wish that BF would get better at categorising them...) And while this was on the easy side, it was a fun story and took a bit of thought.

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Feb 23, 15 1:47 PM
Did the demo and have to say that I wanted to go on.
For me it is refreshing from the usual hogs a nice change.
Going to get this right now, Thanks hiddenhallow and team

----------------------------
Played the game and it was just right for a winterday with sleeth and ice.
I think it was a fun little game and enjoyed it very well.
Just what I needed being a bit down

Edited on 03/03/2015 at 2:43:41 AM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 27, 15 3:46 PM
I muted the music immediately.

What kind of game doesn't even cross off the item on a list that you've already found?

This was aggravating, annoying, and boring. No sale.

Go to: