tramserran
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Newbie Gift Giving

[Post New]by tramserran on Feb 16, 15 1:26 PM
I have been reading the forum about gift giving. I am fairly new (only been playing about 2 weeks).
When I first got neighbors and saw their wish list, I had no idea that the symbols associated with the gift represented FREE gifts and BP (Backpack) gifts. So, for other newbies, the infinity symbol (sideways eight) means they are free to gift and are not deducted from your personal stash of goodies. The x0, x1, x2, etc means that means they are BP items and the number represents the quantity of that item in your backpack. If you gift BP items, they are deducted from your stash of goodies and you can no longer use them to assemble artifacts. I keep track of what items I need and only give out extra BP items. The suggestion from an experienced neighbor was to only gift BP items if I had more than 3. Other than talismans (which are used to increase coins, energy, and experience), will I need to assemble artifacts more than once? In other words, Is it ok to gift artifact items if I have already assembled the artifact and only have one extra?
Now, for those that did not have a wish list or only had BP items on their wishlist that I was unable to gift, I chose a gift that I thought I could use (assuming everyone could use the same items that I needed) or one that looked pretty or had a pretty name.
I have since read the forums and realize that there are certain items that cannot be requested on a wishlist but can sent as FREE gifts. Namely, ores & flints.
Can someone reply to this with the exact name of the each ore and each flint?
I want to be a great neighbor and want to send gifts that are helpful to upper level players because they have been very generous with their BP gifts.

I have read that some members keep track of who sends them gifts and what type of gifts (Free or BP). I don't have time to do this. Keeping track of the items I need to assemble artifacts is time consuming enough. I visit all of my neighbors and send a gift to each one everyday. I always send a Thank You note to the neighbors that gifted me a BP item (because I want to be a gracious neighbor). Is this bothersome to continuously receive messages from me? or is it appreciated and/or expected?

Clashfan78
Clownfish
Clownfish
695 Posts

Re:Newbie Gift Giving

[Post New]by Clashfan78 on Feb 16, 15 1:41 PM
It's the Thorium Ore and the Silicon Flint that you are looking for. They fall under the 100 free gift items.

You will need to assemble artifacts more than once in order to get the gold and xp's they provide. It's nice to have a good stash of artifacts to be able to level up and replenish your energy most especially when you are a new player. My advice would be to only gift if you had a minimum of 5 of the item in your BP not 3.

As for keeping track, I do only when I have new players in my hood and I only keep track of if they gift not so much what they are sending. Nothing complicated for me simply looking at who each gift is from and when I go a week and never see someones name on any item then I really start keeping track to see if they are gifting at all.

I can't speak for your neighbors but I can't see how a little thank you note would be anything but pleasant.

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 16, 15 2:31 PM
tramserran, forward thinking and being a good neighbor are essential to RoM.

Daily gifting to others and being helpful to expeditions are crucial. It is not necessary to give bp items, esp to newbies. However, respecting the wl charges requested is imperative. After that, gift what you wish, whether it's flints and ores or whatever you deem a good gift. Bottom line is, it's your game and no one can tell you how to play your game or how to gift...Everything on this forum is merely suggestion and speculation, whether based on experience or personal preference but no one can tell you what is best for you!

It's often nice to recognize others with thanks, whether it's a thank you note or in the future reciprocating a nice gesture. It should not be expected. I personally tend to pay it forward....My upper level gamers helped me to succeed; it is my obligation to help those under me. That can mean coin items, bp items, etc...Find what's right for you...The old adage applies here: treat others as you wish to be treated and you shall be repaid in kind....And if they don't, there are plenty of gamers here to build your neighborhood to fit your expectations and it is not a crime to delete and make room for those who fit your personal standards....

Great questions! I hope to see more of you in the forums....Happy Gaming to you!

[Post New]by Lisa_Coarcaazco on Feb 16, 15 2:57 PM
Hi tramserran! You have some good questions here. Yes, you will definitely want to continue to assemble relics even if you don't need them for a task because you get coins and experience which helps you level up. How many BP items you keep before you give one away is a personal choice. I recommend 3, others here recommend 5. Because you are a fairly new player, being conservative is probably a good idea. I certainly don't expect a new player to have that much to give away and I never give a BP gift with the expectation of a return gift. I enjoy being generous with BP items and it seems to come back in spades when I need an item. A big part of that is obtaining and cultivating good neighbors.

As for keeping track of gifting, that is also a matter of personal choice. I started doing it when I noticed that I never received even free gifts from some of my neighbors. I had over 140 neighbors at the time and I was finding that too much to handle. The tracking helped me cut out never-gifting neighbors, and I have gotten even more particular since then. I currently only have 70 neighbors with plans of never exceeding 100, but the quality of my neighborhood is so much better! I don't keep track all the time, just for a couple of weeks at a time once in a while. I also keep in mind that people take vacations or breaks or have computer problems - if someone has been a good neighbor in the past, they get a lot of slack.

Thank you notes are not expected (I hope not, I'd be in trouble), but are always appreciated.

Edited to add: There are several very good threads on gifting when a wish list is empty. Mass gifting after individually gifting wish list items is usually the easiest and fastest way to do this. Thorium Ore and Silicon Flints are usually a safe option. Not everyone wants them, though, so I mix it up with commonly needed charges. There was a thread recently which listed the most commonly used charges. If I have time later, I will look it up and post it, unless someone else beats me to it. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if you don't put free items on you wish list, you get what you get.

Edited on 02/16/2015 at 3:06:04 PM PST

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

Newbie Gift Giving

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 16, 15 5:19 PM
Tramserran, it is great to see you posting in the forums. Very good questions you are asking.

tramserran wrote: Other than talismans (which are used to increase coins, energy, and experience), will I need to assemble artifacts more than once? In other words, Is it ok to gift artifact items if I have already assembled the artifact and only have one extra?
You won't need to assemble artifacts more than once. But, trust me, there will come a point in time when you will want to. Assembling artifacts gives gold and experience points that are crucial for players to advance in the game. If you run out of energy, instead of sitting around twiddling your things, you can assemble one or more artifacts to give you just enough of a boost to move you to a new level, which in turn fills your energy bar (giving you more time to play the game) and gives you more gold and gems. So keep those extra artifacts you have collected for that rainy day when you need to boost to a new level. Make sure to ask for any missing pieces on your wishlist and also for charges needed to assemble them.

If you are a new player, I highly advise you to keep all BP items until you are at a high enough level to decide whether or not to gift them away. Anyone who is a high level player should be more than understanding about your need to be conservative at your young age.

And everything Lisa, Faery and Clashfan said is right on the money. All are great experienced players and wonderful neighbors. And well, I have learned that you are already one yourself. Glad to have you as a neighbor, Tramserran.

EDIT: I think this is the thread that Lisa was thinking of about gifting when a wish list is empty. http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/351394.page

I agree with her when she says this:
Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if you don't put free items on you wish list, you get what you get.

Edited on 02/16/2015 at 5:29:47 PM PST

Newbie Gift Giving

[Post New]by Lisa_Coarcaazco on Feb 16, 15 6:41 PM
Marjasinstar wrote:
EDIT: I think this is the thread that Lisa was thinking of about gifting when a wish list is empty. http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/351394.page

Just the one I was thinking of Marjasinstar! Thanks! It looks like the lists I was talking about are on the second page, but the whole thread is worth a read.

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 16, 15 7:33 PM
Hi transerran,

I have several things to add to this discussion, keep your backpack items in your backpack. No one needs them more than you.
Remember, experienced players know where to find the items, if needed. Your choice, of course, with your "graduating" class. As you level up and gain experience you will learn more. For now, you are allowed so many neighbors up to 100 that can be "free gifted". There are certain chargers that will always be needed no matter what level of play you are.
Magic Dust-Dark Matter-Energy Rocks to name a few. Take the time to read about the artifacts, so you know what the benefits are for assembling and where to find them. Then maybe you will be able to sort out why your neighbors have them constantly on their wish lists, you can never have enough and, hey, they're free to send.
Flints and Ores are used to feed creatures at neighbors. These are also free to send and are not cost items as you may already know.

I hope this helped to sort it all out for you, the game and its elements can be quite challenging.

Good Luck!

aim4stars
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by aim4stars on Feb 24, 15 4:32 PM
You gotta give backpack items to get backpack items. Make sure you have at least 2 of an item. But at that point you should really share if the person you are gifting is a sharing person...Before accepting your daily gifts, go thru and look who is gifting you. If you find them to be worthy by all means send them something special. Be aware of folks who never update their list, asks for impossible items, items from expired quests etc....If the person seems to be an active player of the game help them with a back pack item....In ROM we help each other...it is what we do.

amina046
Herring
Herring
330 Posts

[Post New]by amina046 on Feb 24, 15 8:07 PM
Hi all,

Tramserran you sound like a terrific neighbour!

Good luck

SunFlash
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by SunFlash on Feb 24, 15 10:26 PM
aim4stars wrote:You gotta give backpack items to get backpack items. Make sure you have at least 2 of an item. But at that point you should really share if the person you are gifting is a sharing person...Before accepting your daily gifts, go thru and look who is gifting you. If you find them to be worthy by all means send them something special. Be aware of folks who never update their list, asks for impossible items, items from expired quests etc....If the person seems to be an active player of the game help them with a back pack item....In ROM we help each other...it is what we do.

All of this is absolutely true but I think that most players would agree that new players should wait to become active backpack gifters until they are a little more experienced.

I wasn't sure about how long to wait but then someone suggested level 75. Sure enough, right about that point I found I had enough of some items that I could fullfill some wish list requests without depriving myself. Boy did I feel like a "big girl"! I started out bp gifting just 1 or 2 neighbors per day and gradually gifted more as I leveled up.

The best advice I have received is "Slow down, take your time. Don't try to do everything right away. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy every aspect of the game, Grasshopper".

Remember, there are currently 1700 levels (I think) and we aren't even at level 100 yet. I'm actually trying not to level up as much as is possible. I already have many more tasks waiting to be enjoyed than I can get to.

SebringSu
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by SebringSu on Feb 25, 15 6:42 PM
I was looking for information on the Wiki the other day and found these TIPPS on gifting:
"Giving GiftsEdit
The easiest way to send gifts to your neighbors is to choose something of the wishlist of the person. To make sure that you see the most current list, visit the friend. This refreshes the wishlist of the visited one and allows you to banish all the ghosts and help the wanted creatures in the yard. Look if there is anything on the list you can give. The freebies have an infinity symbol on them, paid items have a price tag and backpack items show how many of them you have in your backpack.

Please don't get lax on sending gifts to your neighbors. They need your gifts to get along as you do! As you have 100 free gifts per day, it seems an advisable strategy to have a max. of 100 neighbors. This has some remarkable advantages:

You can give everybody at least 1 gift per day without needing money or spare items
If you really have no time at all, you can jump in, click on the first "Gift" button, select a gift and just activate all neighbors for this. This is gifting in just one minute. Choose Thorium Ores or Silicon Flints.
This also applies when you have time to visit everybody and look for the gifts in the wishlist: the ones where you could not fulfill the wishes on the list and the rest without something on the wishlist at all, they all get a round of ores or flints. As mentioned in the chapter above with the creatures, people with empty wish lists or you don't have what they want should be given Thorium Ores and Flints.
Please do not send the following items, unless asked for. Most people have way to many of them and they cost your money. This applies in general for all the paid gifts. You can send paid items if your freebies don't last for all your neighbors...

Purple Gerbera (found in runes maze)
Dragon Eggs (levels 40+ usually have more than 1000)
Golden Grains (not needed beow level 40-60. Needed for entering the Water Mill which is normally built between levels 40-50)
Peacock Feathers (found in runes maze, needed for Ifrit Palace)
Ruby Cowberry (found in runes maze, needed for Hobbit Hut)
Refreshing Dew (found in runes maze, needed for creatures at friend's places)
Getting GiftsEdit
Use your wish list! If you don't ask for anything, you probably not going to get very much. The general understanding is that people with empty wish lists want Thorium Ores and Silicon Flints"

aim4stars
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by aim4stars on Feb 26, 15 6:27 AM
SunFlash is sooo right. Until you have reached level 75 you really don't have a surplus of much of anything.
Play the Runes often, visit neighbors and help their creatures, buy the Strong Energy Talisman to make the most of what energy you have etc. Pretty soon you'll have lots of crystals, coins, energy and a surplus of needed items.

The Runes drop so many peacock feathers, gerbera flowers, refreshing dew etc. that nobody really needs these items once they are at a certain level in the game. I have thousands of these items.

But, even though that is true, I still appreciate receiving them as gifts because I see it as a friendly gesture. I mean I will never use a Golden Key or a pair of orange goggles but I still like to get them from a pal in the game as long as they occasionally help me out with a wish list item also, you know??

Starmagicgreen is right in that experienced players know where to find BP objects and can look for them themselves but not all of us have more than an hour or so a day to play the game so we could use a hand now and then, especially if we are generous in return.

If you only have a few minutes to pop in on the game sometime and really can't gift folks individually that day, then mass gifting is the way to go. Since silicone flints and thorium ore don't fall that often, and since they don't drop when you play runes and since you need 'em to feed creatures at friend's places they are often most appreciated. I love getting silicone flints and thorium ores. Try not to mass gift too often if you can help it.

Some folks don't feel comfortable parting with BP items unless they have at least 5 of an item, others are fine with sharing if they have 2 and some people never ever give up a BP item. Find the neighbors that fit your style. Invite people from the forums to be your neighbor if you feel they would be a fit for you.

You sound like a super neighbor. Happy Gaming!!

Go to: