Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 19, 15 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/19/2015 at 4:52:37 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 19, 15 4:53 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Tales™: Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales™: Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 19, 15 9:39 AM
Hi all. Well, here we have number 7 in this series. Naturally there is a nice sale and I already have the first 6. I am a huge Poe fan and no, this does not quite follow the story, but it is interesting. The opening scene drew me in, even though it was simple and short. Graphics are the standard for this dev and are very nice. Colors were bright and true. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. Dupin is back, and looks a bit more like the original, although not as sexy as the original...yes, I said it. The voice overs were well done, but Dupin needs a deeper, sexier voice, with an accent. Works for me. Music is the same, but does move up and down with whatever is happening in the scene at the time.

HOPs were pretty straight forward, clean and clear and items were not difficult to find, with some interaction thrown in to break it up a bit. Puzzles were not extremely difficult, but some did take me some time to figure out, where others were easy. There is a jump map that is fairly clear and easy to follow. This comes in quite handy since there is no transport in the hint system. There is a lot of back-tracking, so you will use the jump map quite a lot, unless you just think you need the exercise. Hint system is helpful and I especially like how you can adjust the refill time, as I really don't like waiting for long refills.

The only collectibles I found are morphing objects that all seem to be related to a fish tank. Not sure where that comes in yet, but okay. They are not as easy to spot as you think, as they morph in one quick move in and out and then back in again, so be on the lookout for them. These are fairly challenging. I don't give 5 stars easily and the only reason I didn't this time is because of the lack of more collectibles. Needed a little extra.

As I said, I was drawn in from the beginning. The story is interesting as it is and I find the need to play it out and see what happens. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable. A definite buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Editi

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 19, 15 12:27 PM

Finally, A Promotion!

Setting: the story is loosely based on a short story by Edgar Allen Poe, who is erroneously shown writing left-handed in the opening scene. Here, you and Detective Auguste Dupin are summoned to the aid of Dupin's college friend, Jacque. Jacque's wife is Marie Roget and her aunt, Madam Boulangerie, owns the local bakery. Of late Marie has been depressed and there have been strange occurrences at their home. The story's location is not stated, but everyone has a French-sounding name.

To begin this seventh DT adventure, Dupin finally hands you an official inspector's badge - which you sheepishly admit you've always wanted .

The artwork, both in the still and cut scenes, is of the style and quality that is typical of this developer. The scenes tend to be fairly straightforward; that is, each one contains only a few active areas to explore. Despite this, my impression was that the overall play was slightly more complex than the average game.

The voice acting was just adequate. I felt the American accents sounded out-of-place. Dupin's friend is called "Jack." I can't help thinking that the story would have had much more draw-in power if the characters had even nominal french accents.

With the exception of the first puzzle, which was literally as simple as 1-2-3, both the hidden object scenes (19) and mini-games (12) were not quite as easy-peasy as many games have become. Not that they are difficult either, but the brain cells will get at least a little bit of exercise. Hidden objects scenes are standard interactive.

There are four difficulty settings including one Custom. Hint and Skip can be set anywhere between 5 and 200 seconds to refill. There are also game notes and a very nice transportable 3-D map. Oh, and a magic mirror to reveal the "true nature" of objects.

CE extras: there are morphing creatures (12, I think) which will inhabit your aquarium. There are also 12 achievements, bonus level and strategy guide - three chapters in trial. Then there are the usual pseudo-extras like wallpapers, music and concept art.

This game is well made like most others in this series. It has an engaging story and the play is refreshing because it is not quite so easy. If the bonus content was better, I would have rated this higher. Even though I've always wanted that badge, I can only award this four stars.

Edited for spelling

Edited on 02/20/2015 at 12:33:20 PM PST

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Edition

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Feb 19, 15 2:55 PM
Although I haven't completed the entire trial, I know this will be a buy for me. Specifically, I want ERS to know how much I appreciate the option for "casual vs hard" for puzzles. This makes a world of difference to me. Some puzzles I enjoy more than others, and don't mind the "hard" option. Easy, easy puzzles just doesn't do it for me. This game has some humor, a little sarcasm, and seems geared toward adults. Again, I appreciate all that. A very good game, thus far.

Incidently, I tried to post a review on the home page, but was unable to get rid of the video link, so I couldn't see the proper keys to submit. Probably just me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Editio

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 20, 15 7:55 AM
ERS always make good quality games; by that I mean the graphics are really very well done, the characters drawn beautifully (although Dupin has got a little too feminine looking lately) and in general the artwork is excellent. Unfortunately this doesn't make up for the fact that their games are all so much alike it's hard to tell one from another.

This latest offering has custom settings for play, morphing sea creatures, a map that transports and achievements. The HOS in the demo were basically just list style with some interaction and the puzzles were do-able (with a choice of easy or hard). And the voices were very disappointing; if a game is set in France, you would at least expect a French accent somewhere. Dupin's friend Jacque was referred to as Jack, with no attempt made to pronounce it correctly. Time ERS got some people to voice their characters with realistic accents!

I don't know enough about the original story to comment on how close the game keeps to it but it just didn't hold my interest. It felt like I'd played the game before, although I know I haven't (not even the beta). It was all just too predictable and ultimately boring. I might get the SE if I'm desperate for something new but not this CE.

I had no technical issues at all; the game played flawlessly. Desktop running Win7 64-bit.

Edited on 02/20/2015 at 8:02:29 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Editio

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 20, 15 4:28 PM
I usually really enjoy these Dark Tales, but this CE was a total waste of money. Good grief, wasn't even that long and the story was thin and weak. If they make an SE out of this, it wouldn't even be worth the money. The only good thing about it were the graphics and animations. I'm not a happy camper.

HOS were clumsy and the mini-games were so tedious I just skipped almost everyone of them. The transporter map was passable but not great. You can set your own options so you control how fast the hint and skip recharge, etc.

I tried to start the bonus game but it appears to be the same pathetic gameplay. I'll come back to that at a later time. Only a 1 out of 5 for this one. arrrrrrrrrrgh.

Edited on 02/20/2015 at 4:30:47 PM PST

[Post New]by normanlandings on Feb 21, 15 4:11 AM
Totally with anyone who found it short. Can't believe I spent money on a game that only lasted about three hours for the main game. Not much bothered about the Bonus after that. May play it later, just to get some of my money's worth.

msilva731
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by msilva731 on Feb 21, 15 10:18 AM
Wow, really really disappointed in this game. As you can see I hardly post reviews but in this case, my suggestion is, buy this game only if it is on sale, like today. It is not CE worthy at $13.99. Short game, wasn't really clock watching but no more than 4 hrs of play. The morphing/collection was the same thing and not too many of those, and real easy to find. The HOP's were nothing special at all, way to easy, as were the puzzles. I was playing on casual, because I need the sparkles, map indicates, etc but this was again "way to easy". The story was ok, but not intriguing enough for me.

Edited on 02/21/2015 at 10:19:42 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 21, 15 7:15 PM
I have to disagree with most of you, I think this game is beautifully done in almost every regard. Obviously the artwork is great but the hidden objects and puzzles scenes had some new touches that I had never seen before. Very creative and clever.

It is on the short side but it's well worth the sale price.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Feb 23, 15 6:58 PM
Based on Demo:

I may get this as a SE w/ a PCC. In comparison to ERS' recent releases, this one feels like a huge improvement despite the a-ok puzzles and way too simple HOPs.

Good, clear graphics, decent enough story (so far), don't know about VOs since I mute sound. Overall, nothing irritated me and the scenes/ locations kept drawing me into the story - a good sign. Nothing more to add except it seems like a fairly short (and hopefully, fun) game.

DiDi212
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by DiDi212 on Feb 24, 15 4:16 PM
My review is based on the completion of the main and bonus game. I played in the custom mode to reduce time of hint and skip recharge. I liked this game but either I fell asleep and missed something -- what happened to the husband?

I really wish the accents had been French since it's obvious everyone's French. But the voice overs were okay except for that.

The graphics were clear and very nice however the music was the same old song the developers have been using for ages. I had to turn it off. I just couldn't listen to that flat organ music anymore.

The map was okay and it did transport. I've seen better maps. The hint worked outside the HOS. The HOS were varied and I enjoyed them. I did have to use the hint a couple of times so I missed that achievement. The puzzles varied from very easy to what-the-heck hard. I skipped many of those too and missed the achievement.

There were a few morphing items. You had to catch it in "morph" mode to collect it or wait until it morphed again. They were all pretty obvious. I wish there had been more morphing objects and some other type of collectible.

All in all I liked this game but it doesn't make 5 stars. I'd say 3.5, but will give it a 4 and recommend it because I think the bonus chapter has relevant information. If not for that, I'd say wait for the SE.

Edited on 02/24/2015 at 4:35:44 PM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Feb 28, 15 9:23 AM
I was disappointed in this game, because it is mind numbing easy to me. The puzzle I played on hard was so easy. I could not imagine how easy playing the easy mode on this game would have been. I did not care for the magic mirror and why ERS feel like they need to add things to this series. I do like this better than the last one, but where has the challenge gone?

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Mar 7, 15 1:02 PM
Hello All...Well I have to say that I did enjoy this game because I used two game credits as I had credits building up and need to use them....But I usually don't buy ERS games anymore just because I like a bit more of a challenge...However, I do like ERS games ....I just like to wait for the SE or use my punches or credits...

The things a love about this game was the morphing objects, the custom game play choice, the match 3 fishes after getting all the achievements, and the lock on the inventory bar.

I did like the HO scenes and the mini puzzles...I found most to be very easy although I did get stuck on the ghost and island puzzle (I didn't get the instructions correct in my head...I get it now).

I do think the game was too short and could have used more achievements. And because I like MO's (morphing objects)....I would have liked it better if the MO's were harder to find and just more of them....but that's my personal preference.

Happy gaming fellow fishies

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Edgar Allan Poe's The Mystery of Marie Roget Collector's Editi

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 7, 15 3:31 PM
I just finished the CE including the bonus chapter and toughly enjoyed it except the music kept making me sleepy . I know the music is on a somewhat short loop but the notes are hypnotic to me and I kept dozing off which extended the length of the game Lol !!! I have also played Usher, Gold Bug, Red Death and Premature Burial so it looks like I'm hooked the Dark Tales series but this one is the only CE of them I have. If there any more I will make it a point to get the CE

I read over most of the positive reviews and agree with them and this one I'll give & 1/2 , subtracting 1/2 of a for for having so few Morphing Objects

This game played flawlessly on my Desktop PC running Win. 7/64bit

Edited on 03/07/2015 at 3:34:00 PM PST

pnk96722
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by pnk96722 on Mar 17, 15 1:22 PM
normanlandings wrote:Totally with anyone who found it short. Can't believe I spent money on a game that only lasted about three hours for the main game. Not much bothered about the Bonus after that. May play it later, just to get some of my money's worth.

I"m so glad some reviewers mention that the game is short because that is one of things I look for in a game so, thank you. I can't play it anyway because of it's tech problems but thank you, anyway.

Go to: