Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 21, 15 12:42 AM
A thread for your reviews

Edited on 02/21/2015 at 7:46:56 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 21, 15 1:24 AM
I played the beta of this, then under the name of Mourning the Past. It is a nice game, well in the "tradition" of this series. We have to search the past of our grandfather, who apparently has some hidden points which in the end meant his death.

Story not new but for me always interesting. With this nice sale I think this is a buy. Try for yourselves!

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by greenshade on Feb 21, 15 3:53 AM
Having recently replayed Black Heart and Asylum Conspiracy from this series I have to say this demo didn't stand up to the standards and challenge of gameplay that the other two hard. Need a screwdriver... oh here it is .. quick use of inventory items.. little challenge..

While the storyline is intriguing and I loved the HOs this will only be an SE buy for me if at all.

If you want some challenge I recommend the others in the series and I'm sad to see how dumbed down our games have gotten.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 21, 15 5:48 AM
I was looking forward to trying this demo but what a disappointment. The graphics were hazy in places, far too much dialogue (although you can skip it), find an inventory item and use it almost straight away, HOS were ok but nothing special and not much interaction, only one puzzle which was easy and a story which didn't ring true. If you were close to your grandfather, would you not know when his funeral was due to start rather than only finding out a few hours before? And it was slightly disconcerting that the main female character had my name but I assume it was just a coincidence!

The play is customisable and there are collectible masks which are not overly easy to find. I didn't notice if there was a map as I didn't play for the full time. I remember the very first Nightfall Mysteries and it was far better than this. The subsequent games were less challenging and this one had almost no challenge at all.

Really disappointed with this weeks CE's; hopefully there's a new Royal Envoy (or something with at least a bit of thought required) on the horizon. All these HOPA's are starting to look the same

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Feb 21, 15 7:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bluejen on Feb 21, 15 8:12 AM

Edited on 02/25/2015 at 7:32:18 AM PST

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by tesamoine on Feb 21, 15 11:30 AM

Edited on 02/25/2015 at 7:32:50 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by TonyDownUnder on Feb 21, 15 1:05 PM
I also like the cavalier way in which we acquire a really useful item and then discard it, despite how handy it would have been later on. Apparently the world is full of screwdrivers, hammers and knives just waiting to be found and used

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 21, 15 1:40 PM
Wow. And not in a good way. I haven't played any of the other games in this line. What a disappointment. After the initial BEAUTIFUL opening sequence this game looks and plays like something from YEARS ago.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 21, 15 3:30 PM
Go Christine go!

My title reflects on the fact that Christine is the name of my second daughter and she definitely is a “tour de force”!

Levels: Easy, Normal, Difficult and Custom. The Hint/Skip settings are set at 95 seconds down to 30 seconds in custom mode.

Collectibles: There are 46 masks to collect, 2 in each scene and some of them are rather difficult to find. In the bottom left hand side it does show you if have found them or not.

Tape Cassettes: There are 15 to find, they are not in consecutive order as the first one I found was 13 of 15. They do not detract from the story line though they just give us information, albeit at random.

HOPS: All kinds of them from lists to silhouettes, some are interactive, and the one feeding the ever-so greedy hamster what he wanted to eat! I loved it.

Map: Jumpable and very much needed in my opinion.

Lip Synch: None, you have to read the dialogue boxes.

Graphics/Music: These have never been in my top ten but as I had no problems with them I would say they are OK.

What I really didn’t like: The total dumbing down of Christine’s husband Viggo. From the start he shivered with cold until Christine solved the problem by smashing through the door. He commented a lot and expected Christine to solve everything, so if I was a man I would hate this game. All devs should really take note of the most recent MCF games and allow you to chose your gender.

On the whole I did enjoy this game as this was the type of game I wanted to play today as Thursday’s CE game was absolute pants

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 21, 15 3:36 PM
This actually had an interesting story! The voice acting is good, the game is plot driven (although I got a little uncomfortable when Grandma was talking about what a great lover her psycho boyfriend had been) and other than having to find keys or shapes to open EVERYTHING, it was fun. I just spent the afternoon playing the whole thing plus bonus and I didn't feel like throwing my laptop out the window once. High praise indeed.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Feb 21, 15 6:21 PM
I played the demo and have to agree with snapnhiss' review. The puzzles were interesting, the HO scenes were varied, and the voiceovers were well done. You could actually hear the panic in Devon's voice.

Even though this game is part of a series, they don't seem to be connected. This game was fun to play and I don't feel in any way that it was too easy.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 21, 15 7:42 PM
Hi all. Well, here we have the 4th in this series. Yes, I have the other 3. Graphics are the same as the other games, pretty good. Characters are a bit stiff, but well done. Colors are bright and mostly true, with some areas of blues, but not over-powering. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and game fit my large screen very well. Of course, the ability to "pick" your screen size is a nice added feature, as well s the cursor size. Now, if they would just add the ability to adjust the hint refill time.... Voice overs were well done and age appropriate and the characters seemed to have some emotion and not just be reading from a script. Music wasn't too bad, but I prefer listening to the sound FX and voice overs, so I turn it down to background noise.

HOPs were the usual silhouettes, some interactive and lists. Items were not difficult to find and the HOPs were fairly clean and clear. Puzzles were not difficult either and I saw nothing new. Hint system was helpful, but the "sparkles" were almost too light and easy to miss, even on easy mode. I always demo on easy to get the feel of a game and then replay at max for the challenge. SG was easy to follow, but I seldom use it except to make sure I have all of the collectibles. Jump map is very useful. There is a lot to do in each scene, so you are constantly running back and forth for one item here and there.

Collectibles are audio tapes that give you more info on what is happening and why in the story. You also have 46 theater masks to collect. These are somewhat of a challenge in that they are quite small in most scenes and either blend into the background or are opaque in color. There are 2 in each scene and there is a box in the bottom left that tells you if you have all of them before you leave. I like this feature.

This game isn't all that challenging, but it is an interesting story and I found myself wanting more when the demo ended. I think this one will appeal to all levels of players. Yes, I will get this one to add to my ever growing collection. I have the need to see where it is going.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bluejen on Feb 22, 15 1:21 AM
[Removed by Moderator] Well, back to plodding. i am NOT enjoying this game so far. Sigh. Take good care!

Editd to add; dancemom is right. Give it a try, you may feel differently. Though, be sure and demo it first, don't buy it hurrieidly like I did.

Edited on 02/25/2015 at 7:34:33 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 22, 15 5:40 AM

Break Out Your Old Cassette Player

Setting: You are Christine. Your grandfather Charles Crenshaw has just died in a suspicious fire at his home. Before he passed, Charles had written a note to you warning of impending danger. So you, with your husband Viggo, are determined to find out what this was all about. There are several other characters as well. For example, during the trial we're introduced to Charles' caretaker Lily and her brother Devon, Charles' ex-wife Birdie, and also a man named Greyson.

The drawing style leans more towards realistic, but is short of photo-realism. There is no dominant color palette. I do not recall hearing much music or sound affects.

There are four difficulty settings. Hints and Skip refills can be separately adjusted between 30 and 95 seconds. There is a transportable map (much needed) and a journal.

CE extras: There are 46 collectible theater masks with an indicator in each scene to show if you've collected them. Also, there are a number of journal clues, which are old-style cassette tapes to listen to. The purpose of the tapes is for the various characters to tell their part of the story. There is the bonus level, strategy guide and the usual pseudo extras also.

Summary: I found the game-play to be pretty ordinary, there was nothing particularly memorable or innovative that struck me. But the story is kind of interesting, despite requiring a lot of reading and listening to the tapes.

If you are primarily looking for great game-play you may be disappointed. On the other hand, if you play more for the stories than the puzzles, you may find this one interesting enough to enjoy.

Edited on 02/22/2015 at 5:42:53 AM PST

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by bluejen on Feb 22, 15 8:18 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I was looking forward to trying this demo but what a disappointment. The graphics were hazy in places, far too much dialogue (although you can skip it), find an inventory item and use it almost straight away, HOS were ok but nothing special and not much interaction, only one puzzle which was easy and a story which didn't ring true. If you were close to your grandfather, would you not know when his funeral was due to start rather than only finding out a few hours before? And it was slightly disconcerting that the main female character had my name but I assume it was just a coincidence!

The play is customisable and there are collectible masks which are not overly easy to find. I didn't notice if there was a map as I didn't play for the full time. I remember the very first Nightfall Mysteries and it was far better than this. The subsequent games were less challenging and this one had almost no challenge at all.

Really disappointed with this weeks CE's; hopefully there's a new Royal Envoy (or something with at least a bit of thought required) on the horizon. All these HOPA's are starting to look the same

Agreed. I foolishly bought this game, I was just so glad to see a promising new one. I made it perhaps a fifth thru the game and trashed it. What a waste of money! Boring, too linear, ridiculous cinematics, just an overall dumbed down game. Maybe tomorrow - I download the demo and buy when the weekend sale comes around - though it's obvious I made a mistake with this one.

Edited on 02/22/2015 at 8:25:18 AM PST

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Feb 22, 15 10:15 AM
Who is this man?? I would have booted my husband out the door if he stood around like Viggo. I enjoyed playing the demo, but Viggo was so irritating. I also didn't like the way the characters moved front and forward each time they spoke. Made it seem unnatural. If Viggo was a gorgeous head detective, like Duprin (probably sp), then you could tolerate him standing around while you do all the work. Definitely a slap in the male face.

I have the other Nightfall Mysteries and would like to buy this one to go with the collection, but not sure if I can get past Viggo and characters in my face. I'll probably finish the demo (only 30 min. left) to see if I change my mind. If not, then I will wait for the SE to see if I still feel this way.

If this type of complaint doesn't bother you, then definitely give it a try. I think it will probably be a good game. We all have our quirks.

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Feb 22, 15 2:14 PM
The most annoying background sound in the mini games I have ever heard...like a shrill Hitchcock theme, that never ends...it makes you want to skip the games just to stop the noise. I finally had to turn off the sound to continue playing. What is up with that?

DiDi212
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by DiDi212 on Feb 23, 15 7:57 PM
Just completed the bonus game and do we have a 5th in the series? I believe we will. I enjoyed this game although there were sections where I became a bit drowsy but the bonus seemed to perk me up.

I've enjoyed this series. The voice overs are nice and I liked the mix of HOS and puzzles. The SG was well written although I like the HOS to be included and they weren't here. The collectibles are 2 masks and are in every scene. The lower left-hand corner shows when you collect one. There are no masks to collect in the bonus scene.

There is a journal which is very handy and there are 15 tapes collected in the main game. They are not found in any order. The map is interactive and comes in quiet handy.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Feb 25, 15 7:38 AM
G'day,

I just wanted to thank you all for the great reviews so far and to post a quick reminder that in the review thread we ask that all posts are only commenting on Nightfall Mysteries: Haunted by the Past Collector's Edition.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

Thanks so much!

bfgMurrumbidgee

Go to: