bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 24, 15 12:29 AM
The main character, together with his fiancée, takes up residence in their new home. While unpacking their belongings, his fiancée stumbles upon a magical mirror that takes her to another world. Without hesitation, the hero goes after his fiancé and enters the magical world of Elyrium where he sees his fiancée being kidnapped by dark ghostly spirits.

Venture into a magical world and experience the struggle of good versus evil. Fight for your love and return to your world!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 24, 15 12:59 AM
My comments here are based on the Beta Test I did on this game the first week of last November. I hope the devs used the last three and a half months to refine a few things. My notes about the game included:

Voice volume and other sounds were so completely different (with only one volume control for both) that you had to choose whether to be blasted out of your skin with one and just able to hear the other or simply not to hear one at all and not deafened by the other.

Several objects were referred to by odd names; e. g., stitches in cloth were "sutures", a drill bit was identified as a "drill", what would usually be called a jail or prison cell was a "ward", etc.

There was a very annoying sound and a visual swirl every time an object was located in a HOS.

There is a sound of a grindstone in a particular location that was extremely loud and teeth-on-edge irritating. The real problem with this was that you had to go to that location several times.

This will be a "No Purchase" for me and I have a PCC I could use for it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 24, 15 1:34 AM
I just played the demo, and yes, those swirly things and that unnecessary sound is still there every time I pick up an object in the HOS.

I do like the voices, but the rest of the sounds are too loud - compared to the voices.

Also, either ticked or unticked, I don't get widescreen (or stretch, as they call it) for my laptop widescreen monitor.

I can't say anything about wrong words - haven't been that far yet.

Although this game has an almost feel of an oldie, I very much like it, and will get it with a PCC.

--- --- ---

ETA: Yep... the drill bit is called a drill.

Another thing I don't like is that the Hint button takes nearly a minute to refill when used in the HOS. And that's in Casual mode. Unacceptable.

Like it that the Hint button refills instantly in the main scenes.

Skip button takes just as long.

--- --- ---

Oh... and I just saw a raven or a crow, which was called a "Chicken". LOL

Edited on 02/24/2015 at 2:56:57 AM PST

dueler
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by dueler on Feb 24, 15 3:52 AM
Well after I saw your betta review I will give this a miss for now, if the developer's havnt taken on board what you told them about the game after all these months, so what chance is there for a fix to these problems, not a lot I expect, so looking forward to a good game, to many jigsaw and grid games for me at the moment, have fun.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 24, 15 5:02 AM
Nice game. I am with Valdy, I have purchased it with a PCC.

As far as the sound, I have the volume turned down, so I can barely hear it.

Side note, I like the fairy tale look of the story....pretty cute on how they use items in the environment for the game.

Also, I guess it makes it more of a challenge for us when we need to think out of the box' in regards to the words used to identify an item or thing. i.e. chicken/raven(crow) I enjoy language, so it is cute to me.

It might be a tad' HO heavy for my tastes, but as a stand alone, and with the graphics along with the story, I say try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Actually, mhatie is correct, the HO's really didn't end up all that many for the game.
edited at the end of game play

Edited on 02/24/2015 at 8:26:47 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 24, 15 7:37 AM
Step into the mirror and come out into a sweet, pretty, genteel world, a world we probably all wish we could escape to once in a while to get away from the craziness in the real world.

The hos I came across are mainly list with very little interaction (not my preference).
but so far there aren't too many. I came across one mini game so far and though it required a wee bit of patience maneuvering the mouse around obstacles it was easy peasy. I found the music to be very soothing.

I think this game is very cute and will be fun to play. I have a pcc expiring tomorrow so good timing.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 24, 15 1:41 PM
Appears this is one of those "eye of the beholder" type games. I played the beta survey and enjoyed it!

I guess if one purchases many new releases here, this game represents nothing new. But since I generally avoid fairytales and fluff whenever possible, this one doesn't hit me as just more of the same.

Fairytale-ish vibe not withstanding, I enjoyed the demo today, finding it pleasantly relaxing. Think I'll use a punch code next Monday to add this to my game library. Seems like it will be a pleasant counter-balance to the dark/eerie games.

j62janet
Clownfish
Clownfish
638 Posts

[Post New]by j62janet on Feb 25, 15 9:09 AM
The only thing that annoys me is the hint, when you use it, you have to follow the paper that comes out of the typewriter, I did say in the beta version, could this be altered please, it wasn't, so why ask us to try the game, when you take no notice of what we say!!!! other than that, I love the game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 25, 15 6:03 PM
That Hint button does make a big fuss before it settles on the item. But you don't have to follow that piece of paper. I did that at first as well, but then realised that it will turn into a big circle when it comes to the object it wants to point out to you. So you just wait until a circle appears.

Go to: