Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness here

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 24, 15 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/24/2015 at 7:13:39 AM PST

Why Did the Devs Bother Making this Game?

[Post New]by LosAngeHell on Feb 24, 15 5:28 AM
Was it an overgrown school project? The writing is banal: everything said is on the nose. This is not the actual dialogue but equivalent, "The sky is blue." This game is sooooo boring. It is a rehash of a twenty other games I have seen here. They did have one idea, a coin-operated plant. Frankly, not going to make the world go "Wow!" I hated this game so much I had to delete it after ten minutes max.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 24, 15 7:14 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

myskippy
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Where did they dig this one up?

[Post New]by myskippy on Feb 24, 15 8:26 AM
I only lasted two minutes before I deleted the demo. Where did they dig this one up?

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Feb 24, 15 9:38 AM
Based on Demo: (+ bought using today's code SPOOKY)

In the hot pursuit of a lost fiancée who vanishes through a mirror, I'd sum it up as: "Mirror, mirror in the hall, where is Gloria after all?!"

Awesome game w/ a lovely twist, a good mix of crazy* elements w/ the usual fare. May not appeal to hardcore playahs, but for casual gamers (like moi), its appeal could very well be the lack of fanfare and simple game play. The only cons: No widescreen, hint & skip take a while to recharge on Casual mode.

The puzzles weren't difficult, just take a while to finish [Ex: Moving a ship through obstacles, destroying 30 approaching battleships, find a way thru' a maze when the rest is hidden, etc]. Some HOP items are hard to spot because of no widescreen. Overall, it has lovely, clear, colourful graphics, transport map (w/ tasks remaining shown), not too many dialogues or cut scenes. The story, locations and actions drew me in and kept me wanting more at all times.

* = That flying carriage would have worked so well for Cinderella, yeah? No mice or footmen needed!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Finished the game & thoroughly enjoyed it even though it's on the shorter side - approx. 4 hours w/ no skips & using map to move. Widescreen would have made everything sooooo much better!

I found some words to be confusing. Possible spoilers: Arbalest = Crossbow, Gringestone = Whetstone, Drill = Drill bit, Bit = Apple core (as in a bitten apple), Punch = Seal (for wax), Pike = Spear, Ring = Call bell.

Edited on 02/24/2015 at 12:39:15 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 24, 15 9:52 AM
Gag. What a drippy, boring game....I didn't make it more than 15 minutes before I threw in the towel. The game does have a transporter map but that's about all it has going for it. A very choppy, twitty game. Even in my search to find a game to use a game credit that is going to expire would I use it on this one.

The game started off pretty normal and then we have the ole "wife is kidnapped through a mirror so the guy follows" story. Unfortunately in this one it takes him to a "fairyland" that is so full of girly, girly childish stuff that I wanted to "gag". And that hint....whats with the paper airplane that flies all over before it lands?

I suspect this one will end up on the DD rather shortly. Not worth your money.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Feb 24, 15 12:09 PM
Magic Gate: Faces of Darkness
The Coupon Code worked for this one!

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Feb 24, 15 1:45 PM
really bad, the opening sequence was quite banal, and the next few minutes were even worse! Dont think I got more than 5 minutes into the game!! A no buy for me!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 24, 15 1:58 PM

A Little More Magic, Please?

Setting: you are Nathaniel. You and your fiancee Gloria are moving into an older home. Gloria is upstairs when you hear a noise and run up - only to watch her disappear through a portal in an old mirror. Compounding the problem, the mirror is first locked and then shattered. We don't know a lot about Gloria, but judging by her appearance alone, she definitely seems worth saving. What to do?

Well calling the police probably won't help, but a call to the game police might be in order. The dashing Nathaniel is unable to rip tape from a box or clear away cobwebs with his hands. The artists evidently do not play golf either as they've drawn his golf bag containing both left-handed and right-handed clubs.

The artistic style of the mirror world is very colorful, whimsical and fairy tale-looking. The "being" that sweeps in to take Gloria away arrives in a floating chariot with pink-jeweled wheels. There is a canoe made of leaves and branches. Butterflies are fluttering everywhere. There's even the obligatory hungry kitty to feed.

There are three difficulty settings, Easy (no penalties) Advanced (no highlights) and Hard (no hints). However, I played on Advanced and the HO scenes were highlighted.

During the trial you are required to make a potion. I had no idea why, or what the ingredients were supposed to be. The way I discovered was by clicking randomly around the scenes and reading the on-screen notes. Depending on where you click, different notes appear. There is also an included journal but it is not very helpful.

The HO scenes are very straightforward - there were only 3 during the trial. There were even fewer puzzles, one consisted of guiding a ship through troubled waters. Most activity can be described as completing tasks, i.e., make a flute, fix a ladder, answer a few riddles.

This game is likely to appeal to players who like to take their time and explore - in other words adventure players. It doesn't appear to be a bad game if you like the style and overlook the logical inconsistencies. It does have that fairy tale feel. And Gloria's pretty easy on the eyes too.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 24, 15 4:01 PM
Hi all. Today we have an SE that is simple, but a bit different for some reason. At first glance, it seemed like an old school type of game and I was even waiting for a "click" penalty to show up...didn't. Graphics aren't too bad for this game, fairly clear and colors are bright and clean. Game play was good, no problems at all during the demo. Story seemed a little choppy and you really don't know quite what's going on or why until the end of the demo, which didn't make the story flow very well. That was odd to me, as there was no real purpose to what I was doing or why until then. Voice overs aren't bad, but very few of them. Sound FX are nice and music is rather soothing to listen to as well.

There is a jump map, fortunately, as you will do a lot of running around and back-tracking on this one. Grab an extra pair of tennis shoes, because you will definitely need them. The map is almost too small and inconspicuous sitting next to the journal. Hint system worked well, but I did not care for the "flying paper airplane." That was a bit too much, just show me what I need. HOPs were a little bit of a junk pile, so you had to really look around for some items. Also did not care for the sound when you found an item, nor did I particularly care for the whirling vortex that sucked up the item when you did find it...too distracting. I don't remember finding a puzzle as such, or if I did, it wasn't anything special or challenging.

I found this to be a very simple, no brainer type of game, which I do like on occasion, with no real challenge anywhere. I'm sure this will appeal to the beginners and anyone like me who has a PCC that I need to use or lose...besides, this is one of those "no brainer" days for me so I can use a quiet, non-taxing kind of game today. Yep, going to get it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in game and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Feb 25, 15 5:41 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:One question... there is a missing shard on the menu page mirror (where the exit, options, and credits buttons are). Is that a missing achievements from a past CE, or something that fills in when the game is completed?

Sadly, it doesn't fill up or lead to any bonus game at the end.....too bad coz I wanted it to continue.

Rainmanuk
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Rainmanuk on Feb 26, 15 2:58 AM
This I am afraid is another re-hash of everything which has gone before. Absolutely nothing original. It might have got better I had to give it up after 10 minutes.
I think I am getting fed up with the same ols plot, same old solutions, same old puzzles.
The HO scenes were OK but then again nothing new.

If you are newish to this type of game it might be OK if you have played a few games this will bore you to death.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 26, 15 9:06 AM
Rainmanuk wrote:This I am afraid is another re-hash of everything which has gone before. Absolutely nothing original. It might have got better I had to give it up after 10 minutes.
I think I am getting fed up with the same ols plot, same old solutions, same old puzzles.

If you are newish to this type of game it might be OK if you have played a few games this will bore you to death.

Gosh, I have played over 400 games, and I wasn't bored for one minute, in fact I think the game gets better and better as it goes along and am enjoying it immensely, so sorry that you are not.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 27, 15 1:01 AM
mhatfie wrote:
Rainmanuk wrote:This I am afraid is another re-hash of everything which has gone before. Absolutely nothing original. It might have got better I had to give it up after 10 minutes.

Gosh, I have played over 400 games, and I wasn't bored for one minute, in fact I think the game gets better and better as it goes along and am enjoying it immensely, so sorry that you are not.

Ditto, mhatfie. I am always surprised that someone tells us whether we will be bored or not with a game, instead saying that they were bored. Usually it's peeps who only play for 10 minutes who come up with "I got bored".

ETA: And oh... yes, he (or she) did only play for 10 minutes. LOL

flipper70
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by flipper70 on Mar 1, 15 8:29 AM
I love this game as well, but wondered about the missing shard on the opening screen, where the menu is.

[Post New]by andreknaus3 on Mar 5, 15 9:49 PM
t is clear from the beginning that the end of game will be happy. However, the whole plot is top-class. There are a lot of tasks and puzzles which you need to solve. I would say, there are too much of them. Some are boring but majority are very interesting. Hidden objects were not so simple as I have expected but I deal with them cheerfully. Drawing of the game is just perfect. Thanks a lot to the authors. I enjoy this game

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Mar 10, 15 6:02 AM
This is an interesting game with plenty to do - there is a bit of "to and fro"ing occasionally but that stimulates the braincells to make you remember where you need to use the items and that is a good thing. I thought the male fiance was a combination of unlikely hero and lovesick male but once over that there is heaps to do and some unique ways of doing them. I bought this game and have enjoyed it greatly.

Kudos to the developers/writers/artists - most of the negatives are from those who have not bothered to get into the game even with the free trial .. 15 minutes or less gameplay to then post a negative review says more about the reviewer than the game. This game has inspired me to play some other games so thank you for your efforts I appreciate them. Congratulations!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 12, 15 6:13 PM
Having just completing the game and firstly posting in Tech issues the frustration of extremely sluggish scene changes, all I can say is I totally enjoyed the first half of a new developers game but the 2nd half was torture !!!, not because of the storyline but tech glitches that hopefully won't happen in their next game (I do hope they make one

I did like the game and was freely using the jump map and "help" button (which I rarely do normally when there is a walk-through)
So all in all, I'm not unhappy that I bought this game but I did not like the gltiches in mostly the 2nd half.

I'm giving this one out of 5

Played on desktop PC running Win 7, 64bit

Go to: