Sexual discrimination

[Post New]by gameover2013 on Feb 24, 15 1:59 PM
The last ten games my wife and I played had mostly or only female characters. That might as well irritate a fan of sexual equality, but mildly. What's more irritating is that the female characters tend to behave not like the smart women they pretend to be, but rather like the classic mid-50 secretary, wary to break a nail or to put a hand near a spider, and strongly convinced that a magnet attracts all, brass and cork included - not to mention the illusion that coarsely bandaging a damaged power cord with duct tape would repair it rather than short-circuiting the whole district.
It's a pity: otherwise the games would be great fun, but like this they are more and more discouraging.
Sorry for being this blunt...

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Sexual discrimination

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 24, 15 2:36 PM
Hi gameover2013,

It sounds like there is some disappointment in the content of some of the recent games being played. I'm so sorry to hear about that.

The character decision in the games are finalized by the developers. We will definitely pass along to the appropriate people that customers are looking for more male characters within the games.

In the meantime, it may be fun to check out the Mystery Case Files series as well as Dark Parables if a male character is favored.

I hope this helps!

bfgBellerophon

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Sexual discrimination

[Post New]by Bartsister on Feb 24, 15 3:01 PM
Sorry you guys feel this way. If you were to keep playing casual games I think you will find that what you are describing are simply casual game tropes and they are not completely unique to the female characters you have found within them. I have played male leads that will not under any circumstances dig around in the dirt until they find a trowel or brush away any leaves until they have a rake. The thing I don't understand from your post is the duct tape thing. Isn't duct tape the answer to all electrical problems???

This is just my opinion, but casual games are silly little things - that I do enjoy immensely, btw, but not to be taken too seriously. They started out mostly as straight HOG or puzzles games and have morphed into mini-adventures. So, to keep them basic and not as complex as a real full length point and click adventure, these basic kinds of situations are used. Find an item at point A, find a use for it at point C and in between there might be a HOG scene and or a slider puzzle, rinse and repeat. Science isn't really a factor with the developers and I don't think it is gender based decision making.

If you really want to see horrific ways that women are portrayed in games, check out the 1st person shooter or even some of the RPG games.

I do agree that there are more female lead characters in casual gaming. I account that to women are more frequent casual game customers, and if you look at the credits of these games, there are quite a few women in the casual game development teams. Adventure games and casual games are (for the most part) safe gaming spaces for women to be. That cannot always be said for some other genres out there, so I believe this is why you will see more female leads and stories "geared" toward females. However, challenge levels, types of tasks needed, etc. are typically the same across the board whether the game is about a princess or a male detective.

If you would like more complex stories, more male leads & can handle lots of dialog that usually goes with it, maybe try checking out some real adventure games - perhaps the remake of Gabriel Knight if you haven't played it (a true classic), the Raven if you are a fan of Agatha Christie (has a Hercule Poirot - type lead), Book of Unwritten Tales if you like a bit of fantasy. All are excellent, have interesting male leads and are far and away from casual games if they aren't making you happy. Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth. Happy gaming!

[Post New]by gameover2013 on Feb 24, 15 3:13 PM
Thanks Bellerophon, both for understanding and for the suggestions,

And thanks Bartsister, but I beg to differ on the duct tape technique: it is the answer only if you use it properly, but if you just wrap the whole thing together the outcome can be sort of, hmmm... interesting :-)

My (our, actually) problem is that we like casual games a lot and play them in the evening to relax after a busy day. Yet if they must be populated mostly by women (yeah, it's the men's lib speaking now :-), at least let them be clever and brave (and - no offense meant - pretty too, it would add a nice touch) .

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Feb 24, 15 3:33 PM
gameover2013 wrote:My (our, actually) problem is that we like casual games a lot and play them in the evening to relax after a busy day. Yet if they must be populated mostly by women (yeah, it's the men's lib speaking now :-), at least let them be clever and brave (and - no offense meant - pretty too, it would add a nice touch) .

That's fine by me... as long as while they're at it, they beef up the men as well (physically and intellectually of course). Stronger leads of both genders would be appreciated and might actually make for more challenging games.

* crossing duct tape off shopping list *

[Post New]by gameover2013 on Feb 25, 15 12:41 AM
That would be perfectly fine with me too! I would gladly settle for a honest 50-50 - after all Mother Nature has been working satisfactorily with that rate for quite some millions years...

And yes, let's ask as well for both genders to be bright and handsome: ever heard of a fairy tale where the princess had pimples and the prince garlic breath? :-D

Go to: