Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 26, 15 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/26/2015 at 6:44:18 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 26, 15 6:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Feb 26, 15 7:21 AM
Wow, this was a long demo, took me 70 minutes to get through it!

I never liked the first 2 installments of this series, so I wasn't sure I would like this one, but since it's a rainy day, I thought i'd give it a shot, and was truly surprised! I loved it, oke, the puzzles are easy, but I like easy now and then, the HOS were different, I like that. And the graphics were nice enough. I didn't find the morphing objects, only 3 by accident, the puzzlepieces I did find, don't know what they do??

I really consider buying this one, and maybe check the other ones out again, who knows I might have missed some gems!

[edited for spelling, will I ever learn?]

Edited on 03/06/2015 at 6:56:11 AM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Feb 26, 15 10:20 AM
Well. I have to say that the imp just makes me crazy. Not because it is cutesy, but because every time you need it, it seems to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to do what needs to be done. Not being a fan, I'd like to be able to stop the action and carry on if we're going to need something extra to get the job done. But NO--can't close the window until all the miming is done. I just see it as a way to artificially prolong the game.

Secondly, I have become allergic to the female voice used in these games. Been listening to her for YEARS! Lol! This is the first game of this line that I've purchased/played and when I heard her voice AGAIN I just cringed. Is she used in all Elefun games? I don't know. I just know that I hear her quite a bit. Call me crazy, but after so many games I would welcome a change.

All that being said, I did purchase this game. Didn't finish the demo because I wanted to see if the special from yesterday was still working. It was! I played for about 20 minutes and, so far, it interested me more than anything else I've seen all month. I decided to go on faith that it would be ok and getting it for the cost of an SE tipped the scales to "buy".

Oh! Almost forgot...every scene is so INTERACTIVE! The cursor "hand" will pop balloons, bite bagels and fruit, break strings of beads, etc. Little extras like that make the game just that much more fun.

Happy gaming, fellow fish!

Edited on 02/26/2015 at 10:57:17 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 26, 15 11:39 AM
Hi all. Wow, what a nice surprise today! This is the 5thin this series and yes, I have the other 4. This is by far the best of them all. Graphics were very well done, with excellent animation. Colors are very bright and true. Game play was excellent, no lag, no problems and it fit my large screen very well. Yes, the silly little Imp is back, but he is quite helpful and how they use him is very well done, e.g., you have to find things in order to use him, won't tell you what. Voice overs are very well done and fit the character and action at the time. Music is nice as well, and I didn't even have to turn it down, which is unusual for me. Sound FX are very nice.

HOPs are well done and are a mix of silhouettes, lists with riddles and interactive. You can switch to a match game that is fun as well, for a little change of pace. HOPs are fairly clean, but are a bit challenging. Puzzles are different, not extremely difficult, but do make you use your brain a bit. Map is quite helpful, as it also shows you if you have found all of the collectibles in that scene...I do like this feature. Makes me work a little harder.

There are a lot of achievements: how often you use the Imp (14 times), completing puzzle boards, etc., and the usual stuff you see elsewhere. There are 33 morphing objects that can be found in a standard scene or within a close up. These are not as easy to find as you may think. There are also 36 jigsaw puzzle pieces that are not hard to find, but for each 9 you collect and put together, it gives you more of the story behind the game. These can also be found in close up scenes. Very nicely done.

At first I wasn't sure who was talking, since Ed was a puppet and his girlfriend had been kidnapped...then it came to light as I progressed in the game. I was drawn into this game from the very beginning and it flowed so well, I didn't realize my time had gone so fast until it ended. The story is nothing new, but it is very well done and game play makes it a very nice game. Do I want more, absolutely! Am I going to get this one...already downloading! I think this game will appeal to all levels of players and has just the right amount of challenge, along with everything else, for me to give it 5 stars. This is something I rarely do, but I think this one is worth it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in game and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Feb 26, 15 11:43 AM
Well done! I bought this game too today. I have all in the series and I love them all. Yes, the Imp is something special but he is part of the special atmosphere of the series.

Nice variety in HOGs, the puzzle pieces will form a puzzle in the extras - given, you find them all. With the morphing objects I have my problems, I more or less accidentally find some - most not. Graphics and sounds are excellent, gameplay is easy and fluent. There are many puzzles but they are on the easy side, which I love, because I do not like to be "hindered" by too difficult ones.

I played the beta and am not disappointed, the game came out as one of the best in this novella of Lynn. Honestly I thought the last game would be the last but - perhaps we will even have further ..... (there could be children....)

Enough! It is a good game and I recommend it.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Feb 26, 15 12:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for placing your reviews in this thread. I'm glad to hear that many of you are enjoying this game. I enjoyed it as well. Oh that imp!

Happy gaming everyone!

bfgBellerophon

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 26, 15 1:15 PM

Preview of "Taken 4"

Setting: Your daughter Elizabeth, the good witch, and Edward, the former witch hunter, have been married almost a year. You're all visiting a country fair when Edward is taken and Elizabeth disappears into a portal after him.

I found the color scheme of red, green, orange and blue to be very unattractive. The voices were average, none of them really stood out as especially good or bad. There is a transportable map which shows collectibles, but no journal. There is also an imp helper, which is typical of this series.

The Hidden Object scenes are well-designed but suffer from being drawn from the same RGOB palette. While they're cluttered, the objects are not difficult to find and there are several steps needed to complete them. Most of the puzzles were integrated well into the story. They've actually dusted off a STD-type puzzle which serves as a recap of the series.

There are four difficulty levels,including Custom. Hints can be adjusted between 10 to 35 seconds for refill and Skips between 10 to 50 seconds.

CE Extras: There are 36 puzzle pieces to collect and assemble into nine jigsaw puzzles. There are 33 morphing objects. There is a bonus level and Strategy Guide and also the "pseudo's."

Unfortunately, I did not have fun playing this game - but I didn't care for the others in this series either, with exception of The Charleston Curse and Ties That Bind. Maybe I'm just not into doing all the witch-like tasks that are necessary.

I wouldn't say this is a poor quality game, it just did not appeal to me. The imp is poorly utilized this time - he's used too many times and he takes too long to do whatever. The story is old hat, and the "Count Dracula" look-alike character borders on silly. Some of the dialog was silly as well. Example: a box is collected and your character says, "this looks like a box to bring a puppet to life." Really? And you knew that how?

While die-hard fans of the series may enjoy this one, I'd prefer to take my very own slumber in the darkness.

Edited on 03/16/2015 at 3:27:56 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 26, 15 1:19 PM
I like the series but I'm getting a little tired of basically the same story being trotted out. The game play is very good though so it's worth a little tedium. I'd love to see a game with an exciting plot AND good game mechanics.

Rather than write what I normally do about these games (beautiful graphics, clever and interactive HOS, fun puzzles, good voice acting and decent music... because this game has all that), I'm going to mention what bugged me. I like *some* helpers and I like this little imp but his constant hand waving made me want to squeeze his head till his eyes popped out. I think we could have used him in a better manner although I did enjoy his confusion when placed in a scene that needed a tool he didn't have.

I don't like the hammy voice acting for the villains in these games. Enough "muahaha!" mustache twirling melodramatics, how about an actual scary and threatening bad guy (non-gender specific)?

I'm also tired of having to scare a bird because it's either sitting on or holding something we need. Birds scare easily, wave your arms, run at it, scream. But having to find something completely bizarre to do it takes me out of the story, what little there is of it. I'd like to play a game based more on reality even if it's set in a magical realm. Same with those blasted squirrels that seem to pop up in every game that hold the key to the magic box that holds a gem that goes into the magic wand that destroys the lock that you'll need to find another key for. GAH!

Anyway, this is a good game and it's a pleasant way to pass a snowy afternoon.

Edited: missed a word

Edited on 02/26/2015 at 2:55:10 PM PST

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Feb 26, 15 2:36 PM
Based on Demo:

I've enjoyed playing the previous games in the series. I guess not being able to recall their stories/ details really helps to enjoy playing sequels!

This one has a good mix of elements, a nice twist to the story and game play that ranges from simple to challenging - that train puzzle was a load of fun. The cursor changes into a hand over the morphs & collectibles' status is clearly marked on the transport map. This is why I got the CE [using code: HUGE] - no need to stare and wait to spot morphs. Phew!

The rest is standard fare - colourful, clear and easy on the eye graphics, oozing w/ colour HOPs and good mix of puzzles/ mini-games. Brilliant detailing everywhere.

The purse backpack-imp slows down the pace as does the 5-7 second time lag to load each scene. For once, I played w/ sound on and must say, it was fun! The story drew me in and kept me wanting more.

The rest of the reviewers have summed up all other details - happy playing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Wow, what a looooong game despite playing over 4 days! So many locations, lots of back-and-forth (yay, transport map!) incl. bonus play.

The imp stuff and time lag really slowed down the game progress, me thinks. Even so, totally worth it! A well done, 5-star sequel.

Edited on 03/02/2015 at 1:07:35 PM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 27, 15 7:42 AM
I didn't even last 15 minutes into this game; that annoying imp flapping about, waving his arms and generally being a distraction just got on my nerves. The gameplay was utterly predictable with nothing new to offer, the graphics were fuzzy, the HOS would have been different if the idea hadn't already been used by another developer and I didn't spend enough time on the game to come across a puzzle or look at the SG.

No idea what the story was about as I just wasn't that interested. I think there was a map; there are morphing objects and collectible jigsaw pieces which frankly I couldn't have cared less about. An absolute disappointment and yet another HOPA that has nothing to distinguish itself from all the others. I didn't like the other games in this series and I don't like this one. Lets hope Saturday's game has something new to offer, otherwise it may be time to start looking elsewhere for casual games.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Feb 27, 15 8:41 AM
I bought this game without trying it so I could get it for the SE price. While I did get some enjoyment out of it, it was very frustrating that I could not access the SG for help on the mini games. What do the devs think we need a SG for?! First, they quit showing the items in the HO scenes, now they quit letting you access the SG for help on the mini games! Sorry, but if that's how you're going to play, I've purchased my last game for Elefun!

luciusm
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by luciusm on Feb 28, 15 2:36 PM
I also do not understand the negative reviews of this game. It supposedly is
just the same old, same old, unimaginative boring, I read those comments and say
"huh?" Are we playing the same game? To each his own though.
I have all the previous Witches' Legacy games, and I think this one is the best.
I loved the first one, the last one left me just a bit disappointed. But wow, the
devs really made up for that little hiccup with this one. The story is totally new and different while still using the two main characters from the first game.
No tech problems for me either.
Winner!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Mar 3, 15 7:13 AM
Based on demo - can't stand the imp - he's tooooooo slow! Also can't stand the way the screen goes from black bars one minute to full screen and then back to black bars. One screen size is much better, not back and forth. That killed the sale for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 5, 15 1:11 PM
I have the other Witches Series and glad they have another one. Always have new things to discover and I enjoy playing them. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Mar 8, 15 12:19 PM
Wow.....I did enjoy this game....there were a lot of things a liked about this game and a few things a didn't like.

I liked the automatic locked inventory bar, the morphing objects, the collectable puzzle pieces, the custom game play mode option, the map that shows you if there are still morphing objects or puzzle pieces to find in an area, the HO scenes were very good, and the mini puzzles were very good too.

There were some things I didn't like so much. Although I love the morphing objects, I did not like the "grab it" hand that shows up when you scroll over the MO (morphing Object). This, to me, is too much of a hint...so what I do is not scroll over it and just look for it. I do not like black bar hints. I usually never read them unless I'm stuck for a while. To me, black bar reading is just like clicking on the hint button. And as far as the imp goes, as other players have said, I did not really like either. I would have liked it better if players could have the option of which helper to use (cat, dog, bird, imp....etc.) and also to have "hand holding" as far as when to use the helper...it seems irrelevant to even have the helper in the game if you are told when to use he/she/it....

But having said that...Even though it seems like I disliked the game more than I liked it....but not so...I just wanted to state what it is in the game so players can get a good idea of whats going on before they try/buy....I liked the game a lot but this is based on just playing the demo.....

Happy gaming fellow fishies

Edited on 03/08/2015 at 12:23:42 PM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Mar 14, 15 3:35 PM
I think this game is AWESOME SAUCE, for me it has everything I enjoy in a game!!

BUT...I am into witches and warlocks, scary games, that make me want to jump through, my own _ss, and fairy tale games, are just some of my favorites.
When I see ALL of the special touches, these artist have put into this game, for my viewing pleasure, I SO appreciate it, like 9otters, I was clicking on different items in the scene, like the cards, that I built a pyramid, out of, popping the balloons etc, so many special touches, and each scene is just filled with excellent artwork !
AND...I just LOVE my imp, don't have any issues with him being slow, on my computer..OMG and when he was swimming, it looked so realistic, for me this game is so COOL, I just LOVE IT , the art for me is something I haven't seen before, couldn't wait to see what was around the next corner.
I also love looking for the puzzle pieces and the morphing objects, these are what I look for in a CE, along with the bonus game play, having more than one collectible makes me want to spend the extra dollars, even if I have to wait until I can afford it.
This will be a MUST BUY, for this fishie, THANKS developers, for all of the hard work, it really shows, throughout this gem, I LOVE IT !!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Witches' Legacy: Slumbering Darkness Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 15, 15 12:51 AM
I really liked the first of this series, not so much the last one, but this one seemed like it would be just as good or better than the first. However, having to wait for the black "loading" screen every time I entered or backed out of a scene was too annoying. I stopped the demo after 30 minutes and won't buy just because of that one thing.

I do want to say that while I find most of the cute little helpers pretty annoying and unnecessary, I really love that little imp and his coin purse backpack. If the devs ever decide not to include him, they can send him to me! I promise I'll take good care of him.

Edited on 03/15/2015 at 12:53:28 AM PST

Go to: