Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Feb 28, 15 1:19 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 02/28/2015 at 6:39:08 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by AngelFish49 on Feb 28, 15 5:24 AM
BF needs to remove the 90 minute Try Now as I was only allowed to try for 30 minutes.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by shelterhill on Feb 28, 15 5:41 AM
I played through the whole demo in 40 minutes, but did got a feel for the game. Don't really know if it is all that different from the last Dance Macabre.
Not a bad game, surely not, but not mindblowing either.. I am not sure, and I was so looking forward to this one

bfgLianorm
608 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by bfgLianorm on Feb 28, 15 6:39 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgLianorm

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Feb 28, 15 6:43 AM
As with so many of the Eipix games there seems to be more attention to the gorgeous scenes (and no one does it better) and less to do with taking advantage if them by offering us a lot to do in each one.

I beta'd this one in January and stated in my survey that unless they made the game move challenging I couldn't recommend except for beginners and here it is Feb. and the game is arleady out..

The use of inventory items is almost instantaneous... need something? Not much searching and here it is... use it and move on to the next gorgeous scene..

It's a great storyline and gorgeous graphics, easy puzzles... not much more to be said except I enjoyed the match 3 option for the HOs.

Not buying an anticipated Eipix game AGAIN this time around.. sigh......

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception Collector's Edition here!

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 28, 15 7:03 AM
I betaed this a while ago, and while I didn't notice anything different in the demo from the beta, I think I enjoyed the demo a bit more. The demo only lasted 56 minutes, not 90, and that was with some skips of puzzles (sliding things into place frequently tries my patience). There are some nice aspects to the game, including 41 masks to find (fairly easy to spot), 10 morphing objects in the HOP's, and the choice of match 3 instead of HOP; in addition, the HOP's are varied, not just your standard ones. I did a match 3 for the first HOP and enjoyed it -- it had interesting period tiles in it, and the match 3 went fairly quickly. The game was slightly stretched to fit my 23" screen, which is a little odd at this point in time. Color was good, story pretty linear, with a dead student at a female girls school outside/near a fantasy version of Charleston, SC. Game play is customizable, but even though I customized for tutorial only for aspects specific to this game, the tutorial came up with totally unnecessary and obvious info. For some reason, all adult women in this story are referred to as "Madame," which is pretty bizarre and historically inaccurate. (New Orleans had some French settlement, not Charleston.) Everyone but the cops have some type of southern accent. Supposedly set during the "Roaring 20's," some of the clothing, decor and cars do suggest a kind of 1920's to early 1930's feel, sort of. The music is somewhat jazzy, mixed in with other which I can't even remember at this point, but seemed appropriate. There are some of those totally illogical actions that take place -- the police can't figure out how to open the dead student's room, but Madame White (the detective) can (it's pretty obvious), nor did the police notice that the dead student's French window was open to the outside, making you wonder what the police are doing on the case anyway. Other than that, I think a lot of people will enjoy the game and mystery at its center, although, as I said, the game play is pretty linear. The hint button is good at direction and the map clear, plus there is a detective's notebook, which I would normally ignore. I do like extras like morphing objects and the masks, even if easy to locate, so I may get this, mostly because I'm curious how the mystery is explained.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Feb 28, 15 7:08 AM
My demo lasted 55 minutes and that was 45 minutes too long as far as I'm concerned.Totally underwhelmed with this latest Eipix game; they seem to be releasing so many lately that quality has become less important than quantity. Or I'm just getting bored with HOPA's that offer nothing new or challenging.

Nice enough to look at; this developer does do graphics very well, although the cut scenes are a little fuzzy looking. HOS are always varied and interesting, with a morphing object thrown in. I just clicked on everything until I found it. The collectible masks (weren't they in another recent game?) are too obvious. I can't comment on the accents as I'm from the UK, so wouldn't know if they sounded genuine or not. The puzzles weren't particularly difficult and nothing I haven't seen before. There is a map which transports.

The play is fully customisable but the SG only showed 2 chapters so no idea how long the game may be. Not that it matters as I won't be buying it. I wasn't interested in the the characters and the story had nothing to make me want to find out more. Yet another disappointing CE.

No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 64-bit.

Edited on 02/28/2015 at 7:09:01 AM PST

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Feb 28, 15 10:41 AM
Demo:

IMO, such a short (40-min.) demo was a really bad way to introduce this game. It didn't reveal enough nor create a cliffhanger to want more, so, I can't tell how it will flow/ continue post-demo. One diff. touch - the file/ report thingy for all suspects. Just wish it led to more, like an evidence board for extra steps.

Of course, the usual EIPIX brilliant standard for graphics, setting and creating atmosphere is ever present.

I will wait to read reviews by those who've finished playing or revisit as a SE. Not much more to add because there wasn't enough time to play!

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Feb 28, 15 10:49 AM
I enjoyed the game very much even though it was so easy to play. Not much of a challenge. Graphics were wonderful. The voice overs were very nice. I can't help but wonder why so many of the demos are listed as 60 and 90 minutes long. Rarely do I manage to get anywhere near that time to play. As in this game, I barely got 30 minutes and that was skipping the puzzles. Anyone know why the short time? My Game manager always say I have more time left. But the demo had ended.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 28, 15 11:00 AM
AngelFish49 wrote:BF needs to remove the 90 minute Try Now as I was only allowed to try for 30 minutes.

AngelFish49 - The 90 minute time limit on the trial/demo does not guarantee that you will be playing for that amount of time. It only guarantees that you have that much time in which to finish the demo. The amount of time it takes to finish a demo depends upon how much content is included by the developer and how fast someone plays.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Feb 28, 15 11:15 AM
cherleadford wrote:I enjoyed the game very much even though it was so easy to play. Not much of a challenge. Graphics were wonderful. The voice overs were very nice. I can't help but wonder why so many of the demos are listed as 60 and 90 minutes long. Rarely do I manage to get anywhere near that time to play. As in this game, I barely got 30 minutes and that was skipping the puzzles. Anyone know why the short time? My Game manager always say I have more time left. But the demo had ended.

The demos always end at a set point. If you are a faster player, you will use less time to get to that end point. Some people play more slowly and don't skip the puzzles so they will take longer to reach that place where the game ends.

BTW, this is a great game and one that I totally enjoy. It is hard to beat games by EIPIX.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 28, 15 1:27 PM
Hi all. I was really surprised at how short this demo was, especially since the beta was considerably longer. Of course, the beta did not give you any of the extras, or even an SG, but I found this one to be the best of the three in this series so far. Graphics were excellent, very clear. Colors are very true. Game play was excellent, no lag time between scenes or choppy movements. Music was good. I like the time period and the characters fit well. Sound FX were good and voice overs were well done with some emotion, depending on what was happening at the time. Cut scenes are very well done.

HOPs were nice, nothing new or difficult. Items were not too difficult to find. Puzzles were fairly simple, but I liked them and do take some thought...nothing new here either. Jump map was okay, but very bland but areas with objectives are clearly identified. You will use this frequently, as you do a lot of back-tracking to the same locations. SG is easy to follow if you need it. Hard to tell how long the game is, since the SG didn't show the entire index. Hint system is quite helpful and does transport to longer locations.

Collectibles are 41 masks that are not difficult to find. Some are quite small and others overly large. There are morphing objects in 10 of the HOPs scenes. These aren't all that hard to spot, but you really do have to watch for them.

I found the story interesting and the game had enough going on to keep you moving and wanting more. It is not all that challenging, but the story flowed well and was easy to follow.  I believe all levels of players will enjoy this game. Yes, I decided during the beta test that I was going to get this one as soon as it came out. Based on the short demo, I would not have given this 5 stars, but because of the much longer beta test, I have, which is something I seldom do.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 28, 15 1:36 PM
Great graphics, good music and ambient sounds, fun HOS and a few too many slidey puzzles which I'm terrible at and have zero patience for and as someone said earlier, a rather disappointingly small amount of active areas in each beautiful scene. I like the time period, the bad Southern accents are fun and the story is fairly interesting. Not a heart racer, but still a very high quality game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 28, 15 1:52 PM
Marion Simply Vanishes

Setting: As investigator Andrea White, you have been called by the well-to-do Mr. and Mrs. Ashworth to investigate the apparent death of their daughter Marion at the Belfort Hall Academy of Dance (or is it Danse?). Upon arriving, the Ashworth's are about to identify the body when the story takes a strange turn.

The drawing palette used is consistent with the earlier Danse Macabre entries, boldly leaning on the reds, yellows and browns. The artistic style also stays true to its earlier roots - scenes are sharp, detailed and realistic.

The background music can be described as jazz-lite, very simple and inconspicuous, but still repetitive. Voices are well acted, but the accents are not consistent. Mr. Ashworth has a definite southern drawl, however it is not as noticeable in other characters. The time and place are the 1920's in Charleston, South Carolina. It's summer, yet Mrs. Ashworth wears a fur collared coat. Not a good idea.

The hidden object scenes (there are 13) varied in type but did not break any new ground in their design. One used silhouettes. Most objects were easy to find with the exception of a treble clef. Match 3 is an option if so inclined. The mini-games (15) included rotating tiles, a simple matching game and moving tokens. Nicely done, but again not groundbreaking.

Game play is straightforward but rather linear. The scenes are beautiful to look at, but I found myself looking for more to do. As a result, play proceeded fairly quickly. One plus is that most actions are logical, nothing too far-fetched is required.

There are 4 levels of difficulty including a Custom one in which everything can be turned on or off. Hint refill can be set between 10 and 120 seconds, Skip refill between 10 and 400 seconds, Glints between 1 and 10 seconds. There is a map which shows objectives and active areas, but these indicators can be turned off as well.

CE Extras: 41 collectible masks (easily found), 10 morphing objects (there is an on-screen indicator), souvenirs, 14 achievements, bonus HOPs, bonus level and strategy guide (2 chapters in demo). There is replay of HOPs, mini games and match 3 and "pseudos".

This is a solid, quality game with an interesting story and good "execution" (pardon the pun). But I was not impressed with the CE and I sense I would be just as pleased without the extras. I'll wait for the weather in Charleston to cool down before solving this case.

geninfo4
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by geninfo4 on Feb 28, 15 1:59 PM
just one more player who loves EIPIX. it may not be the best of their games, but it is interesting to want more and see where it leads! I will wait until there is a great sale, ie, 65% off or 2 for 1, but I can wait, and want to see where this developer will try to best itself, and lead to greater games. note: sometimes a gamer just wants to play a game. not to see how hard or difficult but to be entertained along the way. just my own thoughts! GEN

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 28, 15 2:08 PM
Probably not the most challenging game but fun. The graphics are beautiful as is usually the case with this dev. The Hos are fun and varied so far. I agree on the slidey puzzles, as I am not a fan of them either and don't find them fun to do. Overall I like this game and the story has kept me interested without my getting bored.

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Feb 28, 15 6:18 PM
I really enjoyed this game as the villain was human, not a witch, ghost, or other strange being. Also, there were no cute little helpers, and you didn't have to make any potions. It was just a good murder mystery, which gave me something enjoyable to do with my Saturday.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Feb 28, 15 7:43 PM
I took a little bit more time playing the demo than some others have said, but I still wish that the demo was longer because the game had not quite drawn me in. It is a nice change of pace to have a game that doesn't involve any fantasy characters, it set in an actual city, and doesn't have any helpers. However, I think that searching for morphing objects and collectables distracts me from the gameplay and storyline, so I will wait for the SE.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Mar 1, 15 7:29 AM
Played about 10 minutes of the game. Beautiful graphics, However, it was way too easy. No thinking required.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Mar 1, 15 1:53 PM
Beautiful game from one of my favorite devs, but I was bored halfway thru my trial. Might buy it as a SE.

Go to: