catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Story Spoilers...

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Feb 28, 15 3:09 PM
Why is it that reviews are being let through that spoil the story? I just read a review that spoiled what would have been the most unexpected twist I'd seen in my life, but alas, the twist is ruined now.
Please, reviewers, don't spoil the story! Just mention that it has good twists, or something...

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Re:Story Spoilers...

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 1, 15 12:43 PM
I totally agree with you Catbag. I started a thread on the game page for the previous CE Witches Legacy: Slumbering Darkness regarding spoilers. However there was a comment from a BFG member that said it wasn't necessarily a spoiler as the scene was shown in BFG's intro video of the game. I never watch BFGs trailers as they do usually show a spoiler and I don't want to see that.

However Danse Macabre: Deadly Deception's video does not show a spoiler, screen shots yes, but still not a spoiler. I think some reviewers take great pleasure in letting us all know about what's happened straight away. Not fair in my opinion.

Please all reviewers, we do not want to know the storyline, we just want to know the mechanics of the game and whether you liked it or not - we do not want to know the plot.

Queen of Flames comes to mind - it really was a WOW game but unfortunately some reviewers decided to share details of it, which made it not so much a WOW game.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 1, 15 7:03 PM
I agree with catbag8717 and Daxadillion.

Do you know why it happens? Simply because the moderators have chosen not to enforce the spoiler rules.

I have written to the mods several times about it in the past. At one point the mods had stopped posting the spoiler rules altogether. After I wrote them they apologized and started including them again (I am referring to the Review forum). However it's not much use if it is not enforced.

For anyone interested, here they are:

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

Personally, my perception of what constitutes a spoiler has expanded over time. "Early in my career" I was guilty of sometimes posting spoilers. However after reading several reviews containing spoilers, I realized their negative effect and I became more conscious of either eliminating them (preferred) or at a minimum providing a spoiler warning.

Oh, you were complaining about me? So sorry! LOL

Edited on 03/01/2015 at 7:03:40 PM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Mar 1, 15 11:48 PM
steve_san wrote:I agree with catbag8717 and Daxadillion.

Do you know why it happens? Simply because the moderators have chosen not to enforce the spoiler rules.

I have written to the mods several times about it in the past. At one point the mods had stopped posting the spoiler rules altogether. After I wrote them they apologized and started including them again (I am referring to the Review forum). However it's not much use if it is not enforced.

For anyone interested, here they are:

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

Personally, my perception of what constitutes a spoiler has expanded over time. "Early in my career" I was guilty of sometimes posting spoilers. However after reading several reviews containing spoilers, I realized their negative effect and I became more conscious of either eliminating them (preferred) or at a minimum providing a spoiler warning.

Oh, you were complaining about me? So sorry! LOL

???
I wasn't complaining about you? Or were you addressing Dax? I'm confused.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 2, 15 5:40 AM
It was another (failed) attempt at humor.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Mar 2, 15 8:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I was skipping along and noticed this thread in the pond. I'm so sorry to hear that reviews are containing spoilers. I definitely don't like it when an ending is spoiled as well. Doesn't make things fun for certain players.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. As a moderation team, we do our best to monitor the Forums and Big Fish Games site in regards to spoilers. Our reviews are moderated by a 3rd party vendor in addition to our Seattle team.

We do ask that reviewers be courteous and change the text color to white as well as a warning to warn readers of the spoiler.

I'm also including a link to the Review Guidelines below:

Review Guidelines

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the moderators.

I hope this helps!

bfgBellerophon

Edited on 03/02/2015 at 10:34:46 AM PST

Go to: