Senior Citizens sign in!!

Pavanne
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by Pavanne on Jan 12, 17 2:53 AM
I'm impressed too! After two years of playing I've only reached Singapore and don't think I've ever had more than 4K coins - usually far less. I'm trying to follow the strategies of the experts who post on this thread but nowhere near as successfully as you.

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Jan 12, 17 8:02 AM
Wow! I'm glad I've gotten back in time to be L-kalvans Newest and best friend with all that gold....spread that around! Lol props man! I finally, finally left Seoul...and am struggling with dedication...not nearly as enjoyable of the days of ole'. Some cities are just stupid difficult, none easy for me anymore! I need a new outlook...or strategy! It's so cold here in KY....I'm gonna declare "Time for cruisin'"! Everyone pack your nickers..." Ready grey Gummy Gang? Where's T-Bird, snow,Eli, y'all here..?

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 12, 17 9:19 AM
Seoul.... gah. I ran out of coins completely there. Had travel vouchers and used them for one day trips to easier cities, not spending any coins at all in the easier cities (just stop playing when I got stuck, needed a card for a monument, or the travel voucher expired). That let me earn coins to spend on the power ups and cards in Seoul and gave me something to do while waiting for boats to arrive in Seoul.

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Jan 12, 17 12:44 PM
Guys, somewhere around Hawaii the game gets MUCH easier. You no longer need millions of resources to build monuments, but several hundred thousands. It is easy to ship every four hours from ports that have been upgraded to 15,000. I ship from 5 cities so 75000 every four hours. With no need to buy HH, and the daily sale of resources, the coins add up. Either the levels are also much easier, or I have begun to subconsciously recognize patterns. It took me months on NO and Souel, but Vienna took 3 days.

I use coins to purchase extra moves or shovels, only. I never do any architect or master levels, unless they are listed in the best city for resources thread. My best of the best are ny18, Capetown 102, Rome 87, Istanbul 46-2 and 105-1 and Tokyo 45.

Stay with it and you will see.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 12, 17 2:07 PM
Amsterdam is very easy. Athens wasn't bad except for multiple timed levels. So I've had nothing but easy cities for several weeks now.

Pdominian
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Pdominian on Jan 13, 17 1:47 PM
I think Athens is the last city that requires millions of resources and heaps of green gems (old format) before it changed to only hundred thousands, beginning from Amsterdam. I still love the old format though, because it gives lots of coins when you master them.

I'm in Cairo now and my strategy is to master every single level there. I won't move on to the next level if the previous one has not been mastered yet. But that strategy will take more than two weeks to finish that city 100% (and I'm still on the 7th monument!) If I follow the normal progression, I would have moved to Dubai by now.

P.S.: By the way, which city has the best music? I find Dubai as my favourite music there. Kuala Lumpur, Amsterdam, Singapore and Maldives use the same music from Sydney! Same goes with Hawaii and Tahiti (although in Hawaii, they only add some Hawaiian touch). I hope the developers can come up with a different music for every cities.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 14, 17 1:01 AM
I play without music so I can't tell you which city is the best.
I had a few occasions to play so far so I'm still in NO. This city is awful and I know that's not the only one
But I'm very patient
Pdominian, I'm not sure I will be able to follow your strategy in NO. It's so hard to get the intern level ......

famvir3
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by famvir3 on Jan 14, 17 5:24 AM
I also play all levels in the cities. NO and Seoul are the only cities I haven't finished to master level. Thing is, gold is in the master levels. A lot of gold. I find the master levels are usually easier than the architect levels. I am currently in New Delhi. The irony of this game is that I use boosts, I buy the 18 pack of lightening bolts and use them (judiciously) on the timed levels. I keep to limited shovels because I keep accidently touching them and blowing them during the game. I also keep accidently buying more lives when I don't want them.

There are some newbies seeking advice, and and I've mentioned in past posts, I love this game because there are so many ways to play it. Ship or not ship, get through a city ASAP or finish all levels. Use boosts or think it's cheating...so many differing strategies.

Edited on 01/14/2017 at 11:42:42 AM PST

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Jan 14, 17 11:39 AM
Heads up---I am finding Kathmandu the most difficult city since Seoul. The difference is that I now have coins to buy boosts which makes the difficult levels doable.

Pdominian
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Pdominian on Jan 15, 17 12:03 AM
marie1931 wrote:I play without music so I can't tell you which city is the best.
I had a few occasions to play so far so I'm still in NO. This city is awful and I know that's not the only one
But I'm very patient
Pdominian, I'm not sure I will be able to follow your strategy in NO. It's so hard to get the intern level ......

There's no way I'm going to master every single city, especially NO. I've just completed 100% and the rewards are very good indeed. (Rewards may vary)
Upon completion: 124 coins, 1x Plasma
Intern: 67 coins, 1x Dice
Architect: 234 coins, 1x Waterfall, 1x Kite, 1x Plasma
Master Builder: 428 coins, 2x Wind, 2x Line Crush
100%: 1264 coins, 11x Kite, 8x Combo, 4x Quake

I'm not sure if I will complete 100% in Dubai, but that city is good for coins hunting...since it is the City of Gold!

GamingGrampa
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by GamingGrampa on Jan 15, 17 7:51 AM
Good morning fellow seniors, you folks are right you have to be a member of the grey brigade to get into this game. I have a couple of questions, (1) how many of you are of the male persuasion percentage wise? I've noticed a lot of ladies on this game. (2) What can you do with a pile of green jewels? I keep drilling to dump my excess resources and now I have a couple hundred jewels.
Mike

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Jan 15, 17 9:28 AM
GamingGrampa wrote:Good morning fellow seniors, you folks are right you have to be a member of the grey brigade to get into this game. I have a couple of questions, (1) how many of you are of the male persuasion percentage wise? I've noticed a lot of ladies on this game. (2) What can you do with a pile of green jewels? I keep drilling to dump my excess resources and now I have a couple hundred jewels.
Mike

You could give them to a female friend. I volunteer if that would be of help!

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Jan 15, 17 9:42 AM
I am a 66 year old female. I found this game about 2 months ago when recuperating from hip surgery. I played it with other games at first and had no strategy at all. When I figured out that this game had more to it I started paying more attention. I found the forums when I was really stuck on some level and googled it to see if I could fine help. This thread has been the best - thanks VERY much to you experienced players who have shared.

I have about 2000 coins now but that is recent. it took me a long time to truly learn that the treasure chests were not treasure and that the helping hands usually don't give me much that I can't earn for free. So now my spending is way down.

I started out trying to complete all the levels but find it more fun to move on and go back to fill in the levels when I can get the daily bonuses or when I want to complete one of the missions that require collecting items.

I am just entering New York. Thanks all.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 15, 17 10:49 AM
GamingGrampa wrote:Good morning fellow seniors, you folks are right you have to be a member of the grey brigade to get into this game. I have a couple of questions, (1) how many of you are of the male persuasion percentage wise? I've noticed a lot of ladies on this game. (2) What can you do with a pile of green jewels? I keep drilling to dump my excess resources and now I have a couple hundred jewels.
Mike

Despite my username, I'm another of the many females addicted to GD. I'm a grandmother and a full time software developer. The username was chosen when I bought my first game from the Big Fish website, at a time when my openly female online personas were being harassed.

I suggest that you let your extra resources pile up in any city that you have built a resource port. When you reach the point where you don't buy all the HH cards and don't finish all the ten item quests, you will be very glad to have a stockpile of greens and extra resources to ship to the city that needs them.

Trav3lbird
Clownfish
Clownfish
823 Posts

[Post New]by Trav3lbird on Jan 15, 17 12:06 PM
Mike

Ship those resources, especially in the later cities so you don't have to buy helping hands and keep those green gems as you will sometimes need up to 45 just to build one monument! I keep my greens at around 135 and keep my resources up in the cities with the good earning levels like Istanbul, Rome, Cape Town, Bangkok. I am currently in Vienna (Snowman I got through level 44 with 2 lots of extra moves on my second life!)

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 17, 17 1:40 AM
Hello everyone.
I've finally downloaded again GD on my IPhone ... and have to restart from the beginning ....
I'll try to finish each city before going to the next one. I guess the task won't be easy
I just realized that I lost the 2 lives I bought when I played the game on my phone.... So I play with 3 lives only. Don't want to buy them again.

Have a good day and happy gaming

Edited on 01/17/2017 at 1:41:27 AM PST

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Jan 17, 17 6:09 AM
Marie: if you link your game to Facebook, the iPhone should automatically pick up the existing game and update it. I don't use my Facebook account much, but linking the game exists as a backup. You should get the extra two lives back also.

By the way, 66 yo male here in snowy, but beautifull, Vermont, USA. Hence the user name.

Edited on 01/17/2017 at 6:10:59 AM PST

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 17, 17 8:12 AM
Thanks for the info Snow but I don't have FB account and don't want to go there. I wanted to restart from the beginning so that's ok like this..
On my IPad, I'm in NO and have 5 lives

NeenaL60
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by NeenaL60 on Jan 17, 17 10:43 AM
Shhhhh- -don't tell, I'm 60-ish F, Central KY, Derby country...beautiful here! It amazes me, so many of "us" like GD, we don't give up & when going gets rough, we dig in. figure it out, unlike the younger sect... quick to delete, quit, move on, next, new game & blowing up rabid zombies....ugh!! Yes sir-eee, some of these cities just about licked me but I take my time, or a break, pick when I want to play, play extra if I want, etc & I've expierenced wanting to stop play, burnout of sorts, then next thing I'm back...oh no I'm a GA-Gummy Addict! I was getting ready to yell "lets sail, come on, let's cruise".. but now... Ohhh, I'll need unGummed !? Hmmm, okie dokie now....break out the "Sr. refreshments"... heck pass the fire ball.... "hello, my name is Nena...."

famvir3
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by famvir3 on Jan 17, 17 10:53 AM
Sydney is one of my least favorite cities. There are too many totally random levels. The game is not set up to make 4 and 5 gummy matches. So it's just 3, 3, 3, 3 until you run out of moves. Very frustrating! They also have 9 or so resource marts which are expensive to build and not worth it to upgrade. I have started over 6 times, and just try to grit my teeth until I get to San Francisco (Toyko is also not my favorite, but better than Sydney). What I do like about Sydney is they give you free boosts. You don't need to "try them out", you can save them for later cities, which is very cool.

I would pay the real money for 5 lives and Trade Center upgrades. They both pay for themselves after a few weeks. If you play through master there is a lot of coin to be made. I have played through master level except in NO and Seoul (Shanghi and Rio were hard as well). You should be fine and have fun until you get to NO.

You have some real skills you are bringing to the table!

Edited on 01/17/2017 at 11:05:40 AM PST

Go to: