Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Hero of the Kingdom II here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 16, 15 1:18 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/16/2015 at 5:35:47 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Hero of the Kingdom II here.

[Post New]by Janette5 on Mar 16, 15 2:42 AM
This is an adventure type game.

You have an interesting (although not unique or original) story which I won't disclose and you have to go to person by person who will give you a task that you can complete. Most of the tasks require you to complete another task first to gain an item or to gather resources first. This adventure requires you to rest from time to time as each task you complete takes some of your energy and also to build up reputation points before some people will deal with you. In other words it's not fast-paced. You also have to look for objects lying around in the scene and click on them. Hint, when you click on an item it pops up to show you what item it was. You then have to click on it a second time to actually collect it.

This game progresses really slow, especially since you need to sleep from time to time. However, if you enjoy these adventure type games I think this one will keep you intrigued, there's enough to do and it did look like a really long game so it is likely that you'll spend hours walking around and doing tasks and gathering resources.

[The shop or merchant interface I found a bit confusing. As far as I could work out the row at the bottom is what you want to buy. You click on the small block in the middle to conclude the transaction. At the top it shows your money or resources.]

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Mar 16, 15 4:46 AM
Good morning!

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Hero of the Kingdom II here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Hero of the Kingdom II .
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgGlithui

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Mar 16, 15 5:05 AM
Morning all!

I bought the first Hero Of The Kingdom game and really liked it. This one is much the same in ever way, so if you liked the first, you'll probably like this one, too.

GRAPHICS: 2 out of 5. Okay, so it's not state-of-the-art 3D knock-your-socks-off visuals. In fact, I warn you all out there that you'd better have very sharp eyes because some of the items you need to find (Earl's ring for an example) are VERY tiny.

SOUND: 3 out of 5. A bit on the repetitive side, but fitting to the game's moods. I turned mine down to 40% and left it there. You can change music, environment and FX levels individually. Nice touch.

GAMEPLAY: 3 out of 5. The bartering system is a little weird, but essentially the bottom section is you and the top half is the merchant. Use the button in the middle to make a transaction. There is no real action. You move from place to place by arrows. You point and click the rest. Pretty basic.

DIFFICULTY: 3 out of 5. Because of the tiny items, finding everything can be a real pain in the posterior. Big word of advice: save your money and spend it very carefully! When you go to build a ship, you're going to need every coin you can muster. It's pretty unforgiving on that point.

OVERALL: 11 out of 20. You have to like this sort of game to buy it. I do, so I did. Try before you buy. Lots of achievements to get, lots of mini quests to do. Have fun!

RECOMMENDATION: Hesitant thumbs up.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 16, 15 10:01 AM
This is a definite no buy. Good grief, everything is very small and all these little dialog boxes pop up...very slow. I also notice there was no place to identify you as a player...odd. Seemed like a very old style game. I was certainly not impressed with the graphics, colors or the animations. Yuck...maybe a 1 out of 5 for me. Couldn't even get past the demo. Time waster.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 16, 15 11:48 AM
This is the second in the series and it is absolutely brilliant. If you liked the first one, this one will capture your heart as well.

In this episode, there be pirates. And along with terrorizing the entire coastline, they've taken your sister captive. Now you must do some plundering, which includes fighting zombies, making a few thousand dollars and pleasing a few hundred people, in order to build your own ship so you can go after the bad guys and rescue your sister.

You'll receive lots of help and advice - even the King lends a hand (and money). But be careful...because in this game, you have to strategize about money. You can't just find and sell things willy-nilly. Some things you find should be kept and used to make other items which can either be sold for greater sums or used for greater needs. Yep, this game is all about the strategy.

The items are not as small as the first game and there are not vast quantities of any items that you find, such as animals, fish, berries, flowers, mushrooms, eggs, etc, so you must be clever with all the consumables.

All in all, a most enjoyable and clever second go around. Five out of five stars!

Edited on 03/16/2015 at 11:50:07 AM PST

[Post New]by nefret22222 on Mar 16, 15 4:57 PM
I loved the first game and I like this one too. I was hoping for a little more, though. It seemed a shorter game overeall, with fewer side quests. I liked the imagination of the field opening up and finding a cave, but I wish there was more to do in the caves. There didn't seem to be as many mushrooms, crabs, crates, fish, etc., to find. The story was translated better, however. It was much more enjoyable to read.

I missed getting the skins to sell when shooting the game. That was the big money maker in the last game. I continually ran out of money here. You can make a little buying grain to mill and then make bread as well as with the logs and charcoal and the blue potion is cheaper to make than buy. The salamanders and the wizard had very little screen time. I liked the smugglers. The love story was sweet without being sappy. I kept hoping to do something with all the seagulls. That would have been fun.

I really enjoy this adventure type game. I would dearly love to see many more of them in BFG. The HO are fun once, but the TM, tower, and adventure games can be played over and over and give much longer game play and require strategy over luck. I play games constantly every day to distract myself from chronic pain and these are the type of games that take more brain power to play, therefore fooling my brain into feeling less pain as well as helping to keep my mind exercised and entertained. Much better structure to my day than just with HO games. The more challenging the better. Thanks to BFG for giving me such a trustworthy site to call home. 500+ jigsaws are great, too.

Overall, it was worth the wait for this 2nd in the series. Here's hoping the next ones are a little more involved with much more out of the box imagination. Maybe aliens? We could pick up and sell meteorites? Mermaids even.

zed3
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by zed3 on Mar 17, 15 9:44 AM
Absolutely agree. Brilliant game but more treasure and skills to discover would have been even better. Big treat though. I hope there's more to come in this series. Well done developers - didn't even trial it, just bought it which is very rare for me.

[Post New]by sister_sleep on Mar 17, 15 3:41 PM
I was so excited to see HotK 2 and couldn't wait to get started. I was a bit disappointed as the game seemed a lot shorter this time, as HotK 1 took me over a week to complete. This one seemed fine for the first half then it was like a rush to the finish line and !!! game over...the end. I hope they bring out another game with more content, quests and side quests. I love this genre of game and hope to see many more please as get a bit fed up with the usual HOS games. I do recommend this game if you are looking for a quick bit of relaxation and have good eyes as some of the items are very very small.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 17, 15 5:53 PM
awful game

[Post New]by Rubyflash61 on Mar 18, 15 1:55 PM
Love it!!! Had as much fun as I did with the first. Finally - something that ISN'T hidden object!

bever55
Clownfish
Clownfish
604 Posts

[Post New]by bever55 on Mar 19, 15 1:20 AM
Absolutely love this game. So much to do and kept me enthralled for ages. I'm going to do something I rarely do and go back and replay immediately. Thankyou developers please make a "Heroes 111 soon.

[Post New]by CAThie1950 on Mar 21, 15 2:21 PM
Fantastic Game. Interestingly I had trialed the first one and I was so confused I didn't even finish the trial. I didn't even remember it, but when I noticed a HKII I read the reviews and decided to try it. Got a bit through the trial and realized I LOVED it, so I went back, bought the first one and played it before I got into this one. It still took me a while to figure out a good way to get cash, but I think I'll probably have to re-play both a few times over. I will now hope that there will be an Hero of the Kingdom III

GREAT game!

[Post New]by mntthompson on Mar 21, 15 6:50 PM
I've been a member of Big Fish since 2008 and Hero of the Kingdom I and even better is HK II, both in my top five great games list I've played all the Westward games, that I loved. I started the Castaway games, didn't like them as much. I would love to play more like them. Any suggestions. BTW- Way too many hidden games, a better selection is needed.

silver64
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by silver64 on Mar 23, 15 7:42 AM
Fantastic Game......loving every minute.

Sooper dooper game

[Post New]by canadianyay on Mar 24, 15 2:52 PM
I loved the first one and love the second HotK too! I have now played three times all the way thru and finally found the second carpenter's tools,, yay! It's because it's so freeform. You can do things in the order you chose, so that repeats are never the same. Yes, some of the images are small and things can be hard to find, but that's what makes it so satisfying when you do. HotK II has a much better plot and requires more planning to make money and continue to another stage. Thinking is good. Five stars and MORE MORE please, thank yu.

Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SERIES!

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Mar 24, 15 3:36 PM
THIS SERIES ROCKS!!!!
I am typically not into the Time Management games, AT ALL! However, as the 1st of the series,I discovered, is more of an adventure game-my favorite- I am having a blast!
As I wasn't aware of the first one, I decided to give II a try, and fell in love with it, so I HAD to go and purchase the 1st one!
It is so much fun to advance with completing tasks, and having new adventures appear. I actually find myself smiling throughout the game play! (After I figured out how to play, which only took a little bit,) and the excitement began!
I can't stop playing..Lol. It's fun when new areas open, and you know there are more and different accomplishments to, well, accomplish!
Thank you to the Dev's and for offering such wonderful, fun, and challenging games.
PLEASE do create more LT developers! Your games ROCK! You have a customer for life here! And a HUGE Thank You to for these games!
Happy Playing Fishies! And do give them a try, it may take you a bit to catch on, like myself, (as I don't play Time Management games,) but this is not, and so different and fun! You will catch on and enjoy in no time!

Edited on 05/03/2015 at 6:07:42 PM PST

[Post New]by dunvald on Mar 25, 15 2:19 AM
love it love it love it

LAndersen
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by LAndersen on Mar 25, 15 3:27 AM
Also from me, although it did seem a bit shorter than the first one, as others have mentioned.

What I especially love about the Hero of the Kingdom series:

No timer - play at you own pace.
Freeform - what canadianyay said
Nice story - it's like a good old fashioned adventure story (Treasure Island mixed with fantasy), but not too scary and blood dripping.
Great replay value - I've played the first one several times, and have just finished the second one, which I will go back to again before long.
Variety - exploration, HO, adventure, making money...
In a league of it's own - there really aren't many games like this around anymore. It reminds me of my early PC gaming days (grew up in the 1980's).
Atmosphere - the music, the characters, the story and side quests... I feel like entering a different world. And, unlike A LOT of other games at Big Fish, it's not all horror, murder, insanity etc. etc.. And if those elements come up, it's not over-scary.

So devs, if you read this, kudos to you and keep up the good work!

xjazzerx
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by xjazzerx on Mar 25, 15 11:44 AM
I was so glad to see Hero of the Kingdom II released. I enjoyed version one so much and waited anxiously for the second one. I can honestly say these are the most enjoyable games I own, and I have a lot of games. I rarely go back and to a game more than once, as I have with Hero of the Kingdom. The devs need to continue the good work so we can have more games like this.

Go to: