SunFlash
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

Getting a User Name for the Forums

[Post New]by SunFlash on Mar 17, 15 1:05 PM
One of my neighbors can't access the forums because they are unable to get a user name. I know I saw info about that somewhere but I can't find it.

I tried the Advanced Forum Search but I don't know actually how to use it and came up with nothing.

Can someone help, please?

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

Re:Getting a User Name for the Forums

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Mar 17, 15 1:21 PM
Under the Search all forums box, they should see another white box saying something like " Guest - sign in to participate" or words to that effect. If they click there it will bring them to the sign in page. They will have to give their email address and choose a user name. User names cannot have dots (.) in them but underscores (_) are permissible. Once they have done this they need to go to their email and click on the link in the email which BF sends to confirm their email address. Once they have done this they will be able to post in the forums.

If the forum user name and RoM names are different and use the same email, the RoM name will change to the forum name... I think

Hope that helps

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Mar 17, 15 1:24 PM
Add - Sometimes the user name you want is already taken by someone else. If it has been, it won't let you have the name you want!... so just stick a number or 2 on the end until it says "yes"

SunFlash
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by SunFlash on Mar 17, 15 1:28 PM
Thank mucho!

Crow12000
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Crow12000 on Mar 17, 15 1:48 PM
Rumbitothecore wrote:

If the forum user name and RoM names are different and use the same email, the RoM name will change to the forum name... I think

It will indeed change your RoM name and this will count as your one name change allowed. So choose wisely as you will not be allowed to change it again.

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Mar 17, 15 1:53 PM
I never got to change my RoM user name even once, Crow
I did try to change it to Rumbi but it just never stuck and went back to rumbitothecore... boo! I wonder if this is because I already had a BF forum profile and had been active in the forums long before playing RoM... mysteries abound

Crow12000
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Crow12000 on Mar 17, 15 2:02 PM
Hmmm...I wonder. Did you try to change it under account info? The in game name change does not function at all.

I just know that when I started my name was my email address. I didn't want that for obvious reasons so I came to the forum. Well I had to build a profile and when I did it changed my in game name. It gave me the warning that I could only change my name one time when I did it.

Now that I think about it I played another online game one of the times RoM was down for hours. It forced me to have the same account name so maybe I have to be the same for all BF games.

Rumbitothecore
Shark
Shark
13,560 Posts

[Post New]by Rumbitothecore on Mar 17, 15 2:18 PM
Ah that explains it. If you haven't created a BF username, your email shows at the top of the BF pages, and as long as you don't post in the forums you should be able to have any name you want in the game. But as soon as you decide to post in the forums, BF make you choose a user name and you can't change that once you have agreed to the name.... and that name is used in the online games ever after.

Mystery solved Thanks Crow

hornhunter
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by hornhunter on Mar 18, 15 9:26 AM
Thank you all for your help! Especially you Sun - dealing will my questions via in game mail must have been such a pain. Really, I swear I tried about 100 different names (and number combinations) over the last month. So I figured I MUST be doing something wrong. You must all be good luck, because magically it worked on the first try today. Thank you.

Xystus
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Xystus on Apr 1, 15 7:49 PM
Yeah, unfortunate you don't get a chance to change it if you created a forum name after you started playing the game. I'd like to be able to some day have the option to change it... but at least the game is fun, and it's not that important.

Still, the option would really be nice to have for people that did not even get to use their one chance to change it due to not having a forum name when they started playing. Unfair really, but those are the breaks...

Go to: